My last appeal not to sign Vick

acupuncturejeff

I'm pretty excited about how well this is working.

It is what it is. My mentality is that people have made their points and that's that, no point in rehashing the same discussion over and over because this is a ******* horrific topic and it's pretty clear that people are morons. I am now looking forward to a season of yet more people trying to remind us all that dogs aren't people and the consistently false equivalence of torturing a dog to eating (insert random meat product).

Vick could serve the same role Brad Szmith did and run

the football giving Geno a break, with an occasional pass

thrown in,

he is more geared toward that role and not a challange

to Geno or anyone other good qb, I don't know if Cribbs

has been resigned, but he currently is our wild cat guy.

Guys like Vic need to speak out for animals, he has

sinned and learned what he did is reprehensible and

unforgivable, but I think he is a new man, and realizes

what he did, even though he was simply a southern hick

who didn't think he was doing anything wrong.

I remember MM saying he wanted nothing to do with Vick

last season, so this Vick thing is probably just a media

ploy for attension, but if we get Vick, he will be working

very hard for animals, putting in both money and time,

a role model. Animal rights activist. Michael Vick.

Kinda has a nice ring to it, don't you think ?

post-27890-0-53819500-1394927877_thumb.j

I know there was a thread about this topic that went back and forth, but I figured I would give one more try to reach out to the Gods, my fellow fans, and the Jets management:

Please do not sign Vick.

I can go into numbers and the fact that the guy always gets hurt, but the main reason is the dog fighting/murdering for me.  I have heard other fans and Mr. Aggapido of Jet Nation ( whose opinion I do respect) say it will not be a circus if the Jets sign him.

Facts do not support this. 

Just last month, Vick was supposed to speak in North Carolina.  Thousands protested, and 67,000 signed a petition. Less than a year ago, Vick was going to do a book tour but it was cancelled as there were planned protests, and "credible death threats" towards Vick, the scheduled book retailers and the publishing company.

Also, last year, Vick was supposed to do a promotional event at Buffalo Wild Wings and that had to be cancelled as there were planned protests, more death threats.  Last year, a bar in Philadelphia had a "No Eagles" policy due to Vick.  When Vick decided to get a dog, there were headlines all over the country about it.  He has other autograph signings cancelled due to death threats

So, obviously, there is still a circus surrounding this guy. I understand that there are people that feel Vick served his time and deserves another chance, but regardless, Vick will bring the circus.

Do we really want a circus AGAIN?  Do you want thousand of protesters outside the Jets stadium, or the facility or Jet events?  Do you want to go to a Jets autograph event and have the story be Vick cancelled due to death threats? Do you want to go to football games and here people yell "Dog Killer"?  If Vick gets another dog, do we want the headlines to be about the Jets or Vick's new dog?  Do you want to sit down at thanksgiving and have a relative ask about the dog killer on your team?

and we want all of this for a guy who cannot even last a full year without getting hurt?  and we want this guy to be the mentor for our new young quarterback?

You're trolling right?

You're trolling right?

Nope not trolling.  Everything I put in there is true about the protests, petitions and death threats.  You can google them.

And to respond to some other people who commented on some of my posts and I apologize that I was not around yesterday to respond.

SothernJet- in response to the "thousands" that I quoted from an article, you can google it, but the article said, thousands protested.  67,000 signed a petition.

JGB- you mentioned Philly and how you thought it would be a circus and it was not.  Everything that I posted as examples of the potential circus happened recently.  I purposely did not go back to when he just got out of prison.  Those instances happened within the last two years.  The protest where there was thousands happened just last month. 

So, repeating myself here:

Do Jet fans want to sign a guy who has had protests with a thousand people or more people, death threats at Jet events if Vick is there, etc.? All of this has happened in the last year, so there is a very good chance it will happen in the future.

Drafting great qbs is rare.  We need to do it, but it isn't happening soon.  

I hope Idzik does this:

-Max out every position but QB.

-Appease the 'win now' crowd with Geno or some flashy older vet as long as he's cheap.

-Then wait as long as needed to draft a great QB. And hope the scouts are smarter than the ones who chose Sanchez.

From what i read Vick wanted to be guaranteed that he would be the opening day starter. JETS told him it will be a competition. He was willing to wait till after the draft. Its a wait and watch.

I like what the JETS did here. It also gives a rare glimpse that the have more belief in Geno than they are letting on.

I see no reason he should be guaranteed anything.  His best year was in 2010 and since then he's been in a steady decline.  

I'm so tired of the "Let's get X QB because he'd be a good mentor to Geno" argument.  Geno is in his 2nd season.  The time for signing mentors has come and gone.  Plus mentors are overrated.  Some help Mark Brunell was to Mark Sanchez, and David Garrard to Geno.  Even if Vick really has turned over a new leaf and become a great teammate, he is no help to Geno as a "mentor".  Vick wants to start.

It doesn't matter if the backup QB is a "good teacher".  "Can he play?" is the only question that should be asked.  A backup QB's job is to come in and relieve the starter if the starter gets hurt or sucks, and play at a level where he's not going to be a detriment to the team or the young players being developed on the offense.  That's it.  If he can be an upgrade to the starter and win more games, even better. 

That's why I'd love to pick up Schaub.  Yes, he sucked last year, but his upside as a backup is way higher than anyone else on the market.

I'm so tired of the "Let's get X QB because he'd be a good mentor to Geno" argument. Geno is in his 2nd season. The time for signing mentors has come and gone. Plus mentors are overrated. Some help Mark Brunell was to Mark Sanchez, and David Garrard to Geno. Even if Vick really has turned over a new leaf and become a great teammate, he is no help to Geno as a "mentor". Vick wants to start.

It doesn't matter if the backup QB is a "good teacher". "Can he play?" is the only question that should be asked. A backup QB's job is to come in and relieve the starter if the starter gets hurt or sucks, and play at a level where he's not going to be a detriment to the team or the young players being developed on the offense. That's it. If he can be an upgrade to the starter and win more games, even better.

That's why I'd love to pick up Schaub. Yes, he sucked last year, but his upside as a backup is way higher than anyone else on the market.

In terms of facing criticism/adversity I think Vick could help. He's dealt with it all. Geno to me seems a bit thin skinned...I think he needs a guy in his corner outside of the coaching staff.

In terms of facing criticism/adversity I think Vick could help. He's dealt with it all. Geno to me seems a bit thin skinned...I think he needs a guy in his corner outside of the coaching staff.

If he's got thin skin I just don't think it matters who the backup QB is.  Vick can't handle the adversity for him.  After Geno throws a pick and gets booed, does it really matter if Vick is there on the sideline saying "Don't worry kid you'll get 'em next time"?

If he's got thin skin I just don't think it matters who the backup QB is. Vick can't handle the adversity for him. After Geno throws a pick and gets booed, does it really matter if Vick is there on the sideline saying "Don't worry kid you'll get 'em next time"?

Does it hurt? I guess it's up to the staff to decide that.

Does it hurt? I guess it's up to the staff to decide that.

It does if we pass on a QB who can actually perform better when his number is called.  I really, really hope the Jets front office doesn't think Vick is the best guy for the job.

Vick has had 1 really good passing season out of his last 11 years in the league.  Schaub, meanwhile, has been pretty good EXCEPT for one season.  I'd rather take my chances on the latter option, if he comes available to us.

It does if we pass on a QB who can actually perform better when his number is called.  I really, really hope the Jets front office doesn't think Vick is the best guy for the job.

Vick has had 1 really good passing season out of his last 11 years in the league.  Schaub, meanwhile, has been pretty good EXCEPT for one season.  I'd rather take my chances on the latter option, if he comes available to us.

I also would like Schaub, and I am suprised there is not alot talk about him coming to the Jets.  His numbers are better than Vicks, gets hurt less often, and there is no way there will be protests and death threats with Schaub.

I know people say Vick knows marty's offense, but if a quarterback cannot learn a playbook in an off season, he should not be playing and paid millons.  I highly doubt Schaub cannot learn Marty's playbook/scheme

and I bet Schaub will be cheaper

It might happen once.

well, it has already happened more than once, alot more than once, and it happened as recently as last month.  There was a protest with a thousand people, just last month in North Caronlina.  Two months ago, Vick had to cancel his book tour due to multiple death threats to Vick, and the book stores.

So, history shows that it will probably happen more than once.  And Jet fans want this?  I thought we were gonna be done with the circus.  And all for a guy who will probably be on the bench?  and if he is not on the bench, will probably only be healthy for half the season?

Jesus christ isn't earth day coming up? start your celebration early

I believe earth day is next month.

Are you suprised there is a conversation about this?   Suprised that we are talking about if it is worth signing a guy who just had a thousand protesters just last month?  You do not think it is worth the conversation?

I thought signing just anybody without thinking of the consequences was the actions of the Jets past?  I thought the circus was over.

there was zero circus in Philly last season...zero

I purposely posted specific instances because I knew that people would say this.  They are all recent happenings.  Maybe you do not consider having a thousand people protest a talking engagement, or his book tour being cancelled to do death threats not to be a circus, but I do.

I purposely posted specific instances because I knew that people would say this.  They are all recent happenings.  Maybe you do not consider having a thousand people protest a talking engagement, or his book tour being cancelled to do death threats not to be a circus, but I do.

Not really, no. Zero impact on the team.

i understand why dog lovers hate this guy but he's served his time and paid his debt to society. This is the NFL a place where Aaron Hernandez and Ray Lewis (alleged murderers) or Big Ben and Darren Sharper (alleged rapists) can pursue employment it's not a place for boy scouts. Whatever Vick did in his past it's not bad enough to keep him out of this league. 

i understand why dog lovers hate this guy but he's served his time and paid his debt to society. This is the NFL a place where Aaron Hernandez and Ray Lewis (alleged murderers) or Big Ben and Darren Sharper (alleged rapists) can pursue employment it's not a place for boy scouts. Whatever Vick did in his past it's not bad enough to keep him out of this league.

Could careless about that. He's done, he sucks as a NFL QB. It's a waste of time.

agree

While I agree with the point you're presenting, Darren Sharper is not seeking employment or being employed by the NFL after his indictment, same goes for Hernandez.  The grounds of the post stands though, this is a league filled by not exactly the most savory of characters. If the NFL says they can play, the team thinks it won't be a distraction and they can help on the field, then I'm okay with it. 

Archived