Sanchez or Vick?

Joe Jets fan

71 members have voted

1. 1. If one has to be a Jet

• Sanchez
    • Vick

Sanchez . But it has to come with a re structure.

I think if Sanchez can learn to throw the ball away when he's in trouble he can improve his game by a large margin. I would still like to see him play with some real talent around him and see how he responds, I think some other teams in the league have this feeling as well based on some of the reports that came out. .

yes, that's why all the trade offers are coming in too. Sanchez is universally regarded as a diamond in the rough

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I hate to say it but between the two, I would go with Sanchez.

This.... The problem is both of them want to start.  What Jets need is someone that knows and will accept the role of a backup.  I do not think that Sanchez or Vick are able to do that now.

He has to think he's going to start for the Jets or he doesn't sign.  The market is cold, but it's been cold on most QBs.   But teams like the Raiders, etc could be places Vick starts.   that is unless they want to draft a QB in the first round.   

But that's the problem.  If you think Geno should be given another year,  you dont' sign Vick.  If you think Geno sucks,  you sign Vick.  He's not that good for one, always gets injured, and brings a circus to town.

If anyone was offering Vick a starting job, he'd've signed there already. The Jets told him once that he could come in and compete. He didn't like that at the time, but now it's looking like his best option. I'm sure he wanted guarantees from the Raiders that they wouldn't take a QB at #5. Guarantees he couldn't get.

He's back looking for a job. I think the Jets will want Geno to be the starter if Vick is the veteran option. I don't think it will be a fair competition at all - much like Geno vs. Sanchez last year.

yes, that's why all the trade offers are coming in too. Sanchez is universally regarded as a diamond in the rough

The trade offers probably would be coming in if Tannenbaum hadn't super-sized his contract. He's as good or better than the entirety of the free agent QB market this year - which says more about the market than Mark.

The trade offers probably would be coming in if Tannenbaum hadn't super-sized his contract. He's as good or better than the entirety of the free agent QB market this year - which says more about the market than Mark.

Meh, These contracts are re-negotiated as part of a trade all the time. Smash was implying that Sanchez has only been hampered by lack of talent and his OC, which is BS. He's a bad QB, who was projected to be a bad QB coming out of college. Smash loves Bad Qb's, except Geno, interestingly enough.

If Sanchez was THAT much better then what's out there, someone would inquire about a trade. He may be better but the difference isn't that significant that people are clamoring to give something up to secure getting him. I just went through this in house hunting. I am trying to sell my house and while I don't need to sell my house to by a new one, I don't want to carry two mortgages either. I found a unique house that I really liked. So I put a non home sale contingent offer in to make sure I got it, even though I was running the risk of having to pay 2 mortgages. The deal fell through due to inspection issues, but when I found the next house, I liked it, but it wasn't unique, just a standard center hall colonial. My agent couldn't understand why I wouldn't put a non contingent offer in to make sure I get it. But I explained that this second house, is only marginally better then these other houses we had looked at, so it's not worth the risk of carrying 2 mortgages cause I'd be nearly as happy in anyone of about 5 houses.

He has to think he's going to start for the Jets or he doesn't sign.  The market is cold, but it's been cold on most QBs.   But teams like the Raiders, etc could be places Vick starts.   that is unless they want to draft a QB in the first round.   

But that's the problem.  If you think Geno should be given another year,  you dont' sign Vick.  If you think Geno sucks,  you sign Vick.  He's not that good for one, always gets injured, and brings a circus to town.

That's where we disagree. All reports are saying that the team envisions him as someone who can push Geno and then if he loses, be a quality backup that can actually help mentor him.  I don't understand how signing a competent backup equals thinking Geno sucks.  

How about neither. Vick will be a distraction as he thinks he should be a starter while Sanchez is simply hated by the majority of Jets fans. I had to LOL when after the first preseason game last season he accused Lions rookie DE Ansah as having "Jumped out of the gym" for his pick six. He barely had to leave the ground for it. Laughable for sure. Iggy and Rex must not believe in Geno to be wooing Vick. Sure, he knows Marty's system but how good was he in it? Not very.

personally I deplore the idea of Vick but anyone not happy that he wants to be the starter should get thier head examined. Whatever guy we bring in should want to be the starter and be perfectly capable of doing so in the likely event that Geno is terrible again

personally I deplore the idea of Vick but anyone not happy that he wants to be the starter should get thier head examined. Whatever guy we bring in should want to be the starter and be perfectly capable of doing so in the likely event that Geno is terrible again

The problem is not with Vick wanting to be the starter, but with the fanbase wanting a crappy washed up Vick to start.  There was no problem with Tebow wanting to start.  The problem was with the fans thinking that a slow footed lefty with a 3 second windup should start.

The problem is not with Vick wanting to be the starter, but with the fanbase wanting a crappy washed up Vick to start. There was no problem with Tebow wanting to start. The problem was with the fans thinking that a slow footed lefty with a 3 second windup should start.

there are fans here that still want Pennington to start ... who cares what the fans think ... makes for good entertainment and drives traffic for max

there are fans here that still want Pennington to start ... who cares what the fans think ... makes for good entertainment and drives traffic for max

It's fine with me, but I'd be worried if the team caves to it, and if it hurts Geno.  OTOH if he is that weak minded it probably does not matter.

From all reports, Vick soured on the Jets because he didn't want to have to compete for a starting job, but now seems resigned to that's probably his best option.  I hate Vick as much as the next guy for his off-the-field transgressions, but this is the scenario we've all wanted: viable competition who if he loses out on the starting job, you feel comfortable enough that he could at least come in and not lose you the game.  He'd be the most talented backup we've had in about as long as I can remember.  Still a scumbag, but seems like a smart move. If Geno wins, it's a good move.

Why would it not be smarter to get Matt Schaub who has better numbers and does not get hurt as often?

Why would it not be smarter to get Matt Schaub who has better numbers and does not get hurt as often?

Well for starters, I believe Schaub is still a member of the Houston Texans and has yet to be released.  Secondly, he seems more reluctant to being a backup and probably wouldn't sign on for that.  Vick, has been met with an extremely cold market and he knows the system. 

Well for starters, I believe Schaub is still a member of the Houston Texans and has yet to be released.  Secondly, he seems more reluctant to being a backup and probably wouldn't sign on for that.  Vick, has been met with an extremely cold market and he knows the system. 

Schaub will be released, almost everyone agrees with that.  Vick has also said he is reluctant to being a back up, but he is caving, who is to say Schaub won't as well. You are correct,   Vick has had an extremely cold market and that is very telling. 

Yes, Vick knows the system, but I highly doubt a professional who has shown he can play, and play well, like Schaub cannot learn the system.

Schaub will be released, almost everyone agrees with that.  Vick has also said he is reluctant to being a back up, but he is caving, who is to say Schaub won't as well. You are correct,   Vick has had an extremely cold market and that is very telling. 

Yes, Vick knows the system, but I highly doubt a professional who has shown he can play, and play well, like Schaub cannot learn the system.

That's a lot of what ifs. I'm going by what I currently know right now: Vick as played and played well in this system, he won't have to learn a new offense, he obviously has come to terms with competing for a job and being a backup if he agrees to sign here.  I'm not going to speculate on Schaub until he's released.

That's a lot of what ifs. I'm going by what I currently know right now: Vick as played and played well in this system, he won't have to learn a new offense, he obviously has come to terms with competing for a job and being a backup if he agrees to sign here.  I'm not going to speculate on Schaub until he's released.

I think it is worth speculating about Schaub because it is crunch time and Vick is coming to the Jets, which probably means odds are they are going to sign him, so it is smart for the GM to compare him to other possible options.  No one has been looking to sign Vick recently ( and for good reason, imo), so he will probably be around later, and probably for a cheaper price, worse comes to worse

I think it is worth speculating about Schaub because it is crunch time and Vick is coming to the Jets, which probably means odds are they are going to sign him, so it is smart for the GM to compare him to other possible options.  No one has been looking to sign Vick recently ( and for good reason, imo), so he will probably be around later, and probably for a cheaper price, worse comes to worse

Fair enough. I think it's a wash at this point if you are talking about backups. Schaub has had a better career as a passer, but he sucked something awful this past season with better offensive weapons than he'll most likely have here.  Vick at least knows this system and the OC.  From what we know of Idzik, I don't think we should be worried about what he's going to cost. Idzik will most likely have a value that he thinks Vick is worth and won't go over it, regardless of the time period.

True but I do feel like the team has a responsibility to the fan base from a PR perspective. Realizing how many are against it, through media and radio, I don't know, it just feels like a really bad idea. Sends a bad message. 

True but I do feel like the team has a responsibility to the fan base from a PR perspective. Realizing how many are against it, through media and radio, I don't know, it just feels like a really bad idea. Sends a bad message. 

fans will get over anything that drives W's.. That freaken self righteous ape would be leading the SB parade through the Giants Stadium parking lot if Vick brought it home.

Totally agree with this.  I am seeing tons of people against this on this site, other sites, call in shows, which means, if he signs, they are just saying FU to these people.  An FU, for a player that is not even that good.  An FU to people who are not just saying he is a bad player, that it goes against their morals.  I have never seen people say they would stop being a fan because they signed Tebow, or any player for that matter. 

It sends a very bad message

Really? Two-thirds of you want to sign up for more Sanchez? Based on what? Some dog killing? I don't give a ****. I'll root for a team of murderers if it makes the Jets a better team.

Vick already knows the offense. He'd also make a better mentor/competitor to Geno because unlike Sanchez, he's actually had success in the NFL. Yes, he is injury prone. As opposed to the other option who missed all of last season due to injury.

If Mornhinweg thinks he'll be an upgrade for the offense, and that he's the best available player at that position for the team moving into 2014, then I'm fine with it.  Maybe Vick comes in here with a chip on his shoulder, looking to prove that he's still got it and ends up having a good season because of that.  With Marty calling the plays last year, it felt like we actually had a real OC who knew what he was doing for the first time in a long while, so I'll trust his judgment on offensive related matters. 

fans will get over anything that drives W's.. That freaken self righteous ape would be leading the SB parade through the Giants Stadium parking lot if Vick brought it home.

Maybe he would. Fans forget. Actual people you know don't. Excepting Monday nights when I was at NYU, I've watched basically every Jets game with my mom going back to 51-45 and the playoff debacle here. That's over this fall if we sign Michael Vick. Right there. Real as it gets. Viva Consuela.

Neither. The premise that this is the only choice is as flawed as removing the cap implications of each signing. 

They are not the only options for the team.

They are both bad options for the team.

They are not going to carry the same cap charges.

Completely senseless question if you ask me.  

Just say no to Vick. If they sign him the circus is officially back in town.

PETA protests at the Metlife and fans howling and barking like dogs.

No thanks.

At least Snachez has some entertainment value. We can always wait for buttfumble II or watch him set a record for pick 6's thrown to defensive lineman.

Just say no to Vick. If they sign him the circus is officially back in town.

PETA protests at the Metlife and fans howling and barking like dogs.

No thanks.

At least Snachez has some entertainment value. We can always wait for buttfumble II or watch him set a record for pick 6's thrown to defensive lineman.

Snatchez?

Archived