case for vick just got a lot stronger

jgb

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Bills seemed to think so. I hate that I'm saying this...but Geno doesn't have the resume to survive a 3 game losing skid. Put Vick in and hope it rejuvenates the team.

So you're saying the Bills announced the benching of Manuel four hours before the kick off of last night's game because they knew the Pats were going to get crushed and Brady would look awful?

I would give Geno the first half of San Diego game.

This is what I'd do. Give Vick extra reps with the starters this week, and see if that lights a little fire under Geno. Trot him out to start the game -just like the coach said he would- but have him on a very short leash. I have to agree with the premise of the division being takeable. The Pats are 2-2 with a division loss and a conference loss. The Jets are 1-3, but all their losses are out of the conference - and at least two of those losses could've easily've been wins without the QB turnovers. 

So basically, there's absolutely no rhyme or reason to what you're saying. It's an easy decision for you because the only thing you're shooting for is some kind of headline making change. Getting better and winning is secondary to just reacting fan properly to a whopping 3 losses...

Vick probably sucks and if there's anything at all left in the tank it is almost definitely not going to last 12 games. 

But then there's this. The reality is that Vick is a number of years from the last (and only) time he was any good, he's made of glass, and he'll also be throwing to John Idzik's budget weapons. People looking for a savior-like performance from this guy are probably going to be disappointed. 

Patriots will still win 10 games.

I'm not so sure about that. Unless their line improves dramatically they may be ****ed. 

They've already lost 2. They will most likely lose this week to the Bengals - that'll be 3. I would mark them down for possible losses against Green Bay, Detroit, Chicago and Denver - that's 7. They will probably lose at the Chargers also. That brings the count to 8 and I'm not even predicting another division loss. 

If the Pats line doesn't start to play better quick, it's gonna be a long year in Foxboro. 

The long awaited pats decline is finally here. Cant remember them ever being embarassed on the big stage. Division can be had for 9-7. We have lost games we shouldve lost on paper anyway, albeit in heart breaking fashion. No one wouldve been surprised at a 1-3 start with this schedule. No more messing around, time to make the switch and try to steal this thing.

Everyone thinks Vick will be the savoir.  Alot of people will be disappointed when they get QB play similar to Geno.

I'd take Geno over Manuel every day of the week and twice on Sundays. Geno's resume certainly blows Manuel's out of the water coming into the league. 3 non-conference losses with 3/4 of the season to play is hardly enough to end Smith's run here. 

Throwing in a 34 YO QB who hasn't been healthy since 2012 and completed 60% of his passes once in his career, 4 years ago, is probably not going to have the results imagined or hoped for. 

Thank you!!

Did Geno drop two passes to Decker and one to Ivory that could very easily have changed the game? Did he give up a long TD drive after the offense got the team back in the game? I can't believe that some fans want to go to a 34 year old turnover machine with bones made from sugar cubes and tendons made from dental floss just because he has a big salary. I don't love Geno and was not happy with the pick, but change for the sake of change rarely leads to good things.

No, but we are in the super unique situation of having a starter perform at historically terrible levels. 3rd worst starting 20 games in history, someone has mentioned.

This is utter nonsense. I might bite if we were talking about last year's funk and even then I'd be dubious, but it's not even close this year. I could make a list of disastrous first round picks that never reached Geno's level over the past three games for their entire careers, but it would be a waste of time. 

Did Geno drop two passes to Decker and one to Ivory that could very easily have changed the game? Did he give up a long TD drive after the offense got the team back in the game? I can't believe that some fans want to go to a 34 year old turnover machine with bones made from sugar cubes and tendons made from dental floss just because he has a big salary. I don't love Geno and was not happy with the pick, but change for the sake of change rarely leads to good things.

satan > geno, didn't you know?

My biggest issues with Geno are accuracy and turnovers.  My biggest issues with Vick are accuracy and turnovers.   Vick adds the dimension of potentially breaking one on any given play.....so Advantage Vick?   Another thought - ummmm...we do have a wildcat expert as our QB coach - now with no FB and great limitations at WR, perhaps it is best to go with Vick and have him line up with (2 of 4 powell, ivory, johnson or kerley) in the backfield on every down?  Even have Kerley throw a few passes.     I am sorry, there are things you cannot teach like speed and accuracy, neither Geno nor Vick will ever be accurate passers, but at least Vick has speed.

Also, you can no longer "wait till next year" in the NFL, free agency is like a lottery - you cannot bank on getting who you want, and the way the Jets draft.....you never know when a team can make a run, we've got a pass rush, we stop the run and hopefully Milliner and Pryor can make an impact this year.  Next yearwe will need to find a true FS, OLB, ILB, OG, QB, RB and WR....you are not going to fill all those holes in one offseason.  You neer know what injuries other teams will have and you have to hope you remain healthy.  In other words, you have to try to win every year - you cannot assume tanking a season will lead to success in the future, Mariotta looks nice but I do not see an Andrew Luck here...doesn't have the cannon of a Cam Newton, but is more accurate, ....he will be the best QB in the draft and you'll be limited to 2 or 3 wins in order to land him....I think worst case scenario we go 5-11.

Everyone thinks Vick will be the savoir.  Alot of people will be disappointed when they get QB play similar to Geno.

Not expecting savior, hoping for competence. I understand there is evidence that Vick cannot even provide competent play--but there is also evidence that he has it in him, or at least had it at some point.

Vick might give you flashes of success but then he will turn into the turnover prone and susceptible to injury QB that he is .

Very possible. But even flashes of success would be an improvement.

This is utter nonsense. I might bite if we were talking about last year's funk and even then I'd be dubious, but it's not even close this year. I could make a list of disastrous first round picks that never reached Geno's level over the past three games for their entire careers, but it would be a waste of time. 

Utter nonesense, that will soon become reality. Hey I hope I am wrong and Geno does a 180 (he will get his chance because if Jets were going to make a switch for the Charges game it would've been announced already most likely), but not betting on it.

Actually he killed dogs (the innocent part is redundant, all animals are innocent). Murder is reserved for humans.

But yes what he did is horrendous and cruel. And if those acts are unforgivable to you and you believe he deserves to lose his livlihood over it despite paying for the crime in the way that society has collectively decided is appropriate, you are within your conscience to root against him. I am glad that you are honest that this view has nothing to do with Geno's performance. But the time to be outraged was when the team gave him 5 million. If you didn't walk from the team then, what changed for you now that he may be asked to go earn that money?

I will never walk away from the team, but I will never accept him as my QB. If Vick ever does start, I will be rooting for the opposing defense to hurt him and end his career.

I will never walk away from the team, but I will never accept him as my QB. If Vick ever does start, I will be rooting for the opposing defense to hurt him and end his career.

I get it. You gotta follow your conscience. Kudos for that.

I think its Vick time, but its got nothing to do with one game from the Patriots.  It has more to do about the Jets.  They need something, anything to spark this team and Geno has not shown the ability to correct his mistakes.  I dont believe he's earned the right to keep his job.  Its not fair to the team or the fans to keep trotting out a guy who spots the other team points, every single game he starts.

It's still something you kinda just made up anyway. Everyone can change their QB, the Jets aren't in some super unique position where their backup is clearly better than their starter. 

No but they are in a unique position where the backup can actually step in and maybe make a difference.

I'm not crazy about it either but I don't think at this point putting Vick in doesn't mean that Geno isn't going to ever play another down with the Jets.

I want Geno to be the answer but I think right now he needs to take a step back and kind of regroup. Telling some Hedge Fund Hero or Hedge Fund Baby to F off shows me that the heat is getting to him a bit.

Sounds like something else you just made up. I know that the NFL works alot like Orwell's 1984 where the latest thing is pretty much the only thing that's ever been and ever was, but Geno is not performing at historically terrible levels and probably isn't even all that close. Sanchez 2013 is historically terrible. Smith 2014 is all of one bad game - not anywhere near Sanchezian bad either - coming against the hottest team in the NFC.

Basically, I find the points against Smith to be absolute rubbish at this point. The whole "well it doesn't really matter what Vick does because at least it's different" mentality is SOJfans. I admit this is way better than pining for Simms, so there is that....

They said it last night pregame, Geno has more turnovers in his first 20 starts than other QB in NFL history...something like that.

They said it last night pregame, Geno has more turnovers in his first 20 starters than other QB in NFL history...something like that.

i believe it is 3rd most (doesn't matter, still bad) and goes to show you that most teams when faced with this kind of performance bench the guy.

No but they are in a unique position where the backup can actually step in and maybe make a difference.

I'm not crazy about it either but I don't think at this point putting Vick in doesn't mean that Geno isn't going to ever play another down with the Jets.

I want Geno to be the answer but I think right now he needs to take a step back and kind of regroup. Telling some Hedge Fund Hero or Hedge Fund Baby to F off shows me that the heat is getting to him a bit.

Probably a big, negative difference. The likeliness that Vick gets starts, sucks, AND gets hurt is high...Suddenly you're down to Matt Simms and Geno Smith. This can make sense - if Geno is still struggling in week 8 then yeah...start Vick until he gets hurt...but it's rash at this point. 

I do agree that Smith has to regroup a little. I don't think the way to do that is to bench him after 4 games. It's based totally on the Jets' results of the games rather than how bad Geno actually was during those games. He was bad against the Lions, sure (and they were still in come 4th quarter), but he wasn't close to terrible against the Packers or Bears. 

RANK

NYJ.png

1-3JETS

If coordinator Marty Mornhinweg dumbs down the Jets' offense anymore, it will serve as a special episode of "Blue's Clues." At some point, the offense has to function like, well, a pro offense. If Geno Smith can't digest a real scheme, then the club has to go in another direction. Is it time, Jets fans? Let me know what you think: @HarrisonNFL. Once again, 200 yards passing will not offset two turnovers.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000403446/article/nfl-power-rankings-week-5-lions-hit-top-10-patriots-plummet

gonna be funny when vick plays and you guys realize he sucks only slightly less than geno

if he can grasp the full playbook he could "suck worse" physically and maybe even with some decisions but perform better. i am not some Xs and Os genius but a lot of respectable people have said jets offense is ridiculously dumbed down for geno. that gives the defense a pretty big advantage.

Rex needs to dumb down the defense too. The over scheming is only hurting us...decent QB's have figured out our blitz packages and know how to pick them up and throw to the guy David Harris is covering.

Rex and Rob being the only two defenses without an interception isnt a coincidence. Their constant changes week to week can become exhausting for young players. Did we draft Pryor to just hang out at the line of scrimmage to stuff the run or did we draft him to roam the center of the field causing receivers to think twice?

Rex needs to dumb down the defense too. The over scheming is only hurting us...decent QB's have figured out our blitz packages and know how to pick them up and throw to the guy David Harris is covering.

Rex and Rob being the only two defenses without an interception isnt a coincidence. Their constant changes week to week can become exhausting for young players. Did we draft Pryor to just hang out at the line of scrimmage to stuff the run or did we draft him to roam the center of the field causing receivers to think twice?

sobering thought.. with sanchez's entire "green, yellow, red" wristband and now watered down defense for Dumbo Smith, the Jets have not had a real NFL caliber full offensive scheme/playbook in 5 years since brett favre.

sobering thought.. with sanchez's entire "green, yellow, red" wristband and now watered down defense for Dumbo Smith, the Jets have not had a real NFL caliber full offensive scheme/playbook in 5 years since brett favre.

It's also because we haven't drafted offense either. Our offense doesnt create any mismatches on the field...there's no one we have that causes defenses to specifically scheme for.

Anyone want to bet our scheme didnt change at all against Detroit after realizing Megatron was at less than 50%?

Archived