Vick Says he wasn't Prepared for Chargers

flgreen

you know what's alarming? the Eagles, who liked MARK SANCHEZ enough to sign him as a backup, didn't keep Vick.

bleh.

1. The Eagles wanted to keep Vick. 

2. A statement like this from Vick just confirms for me what I've been suspecting since preseason based on what I've seen of this guy this year - He's only on this roster for the paycheck. Guy doesn't give a sh*t anymore, if he ever did. He just knows people will pay him for what little of his talent is left. Chris Johnson appears to be in the same boat. 

I don't want either of them taking the field Sunday. I want the Jets to play guys who want to get better and help this team get better. 

If Rex and Idzick want to do something bold to shake up this locker room - cut one of these overpaid, over the hill bums. 

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

“Maybe I didn’t prepare or I wasn’t prepared, but I’ll tell you what, it won’t happen again,” Vick said.

What?????That IS the job of a backup!!!!!!!!!!!!! If you were not prepared, it is on you or the coaches. How could this even be something acceptable? Wow gang, this team is worse off than I could ever have imagined. 

To be fair, I don't Mike Vick at his age and ability is ever really ready for anything except cashing the paycheck and trying to get out of debt. It was a farce to sign him and it's a farce to play him thinking he'd be ANY better than Geno. It's just another Rex/Idz blunder. Five million dollars down the drain.

2. A statement like this from Vick just confirms for me what I've been suspecting since preseason based on what I've seen of this guy this year - He's only on this roster for the paycheck. Guy doesn't give a sh*t anymore, if he ever did. He just knows people will pay him for what little of his talent is left. Chris Johnson appears to be in the same boat.

I don't want either of them taking the field Sunday. I want the Jets to play guys who want to get better and help this team get better.

If Rex and Idzick want to do something bold to shake up this locker room - cut one of these overpaid, over the hill bums.

1. I think this was lip service. They knew what he was and didn't want to pay him. They signed Sanchez for (less than?) half and with Chip Kelly as HC, I suspect they got the better deal.

2. Yes. It's disgusting.

After he takes 5 million unearned dollars this year from the Jets, Vick might be looking to resurrect his true love in career choice. And it is NOT football.........

So let me get this straight, Geno Lovers: a backup, who was not given a chance to compete, who was not brought into the game earlier this year despite bottom 5 worst ever numbers from the starter, who was not permitted to start a game when the starter skips a meeting before a do-or-die game and the starter is (1) too dumb to read a watch; or (2) so arrogant and/or stupid to believe that lie is even feasible... That it is the backup that should be cut because he admitted he was not fully prepared to play. But the starter, after doing all of the embarassing, pathetic, incompetent and/or insulting actions listed above, should not even be benched for a game.

You people crack me up.

The locker room imploded in 2011-2012 because of Rex's handling of Sanchez and the frustration that came out of that debacle. We are now seeing THE EXACT SAME THING WITH GENO. Rex just does not learn. He has to go. Most of the people who were calling for Vick to start did not think he was the savior. This was all about accountability and sending the right message to the team and to the young QB--who obviously needs life coaching. And now the chickens have come home to roost, just as predicted.

So let me get this straight, Geno Lovers: a backup, who was not given a chance to compete, who was not brought into the game earlier this year despite bottom 5 worst ever numbers from the starter, who was not permitted to start a game when the starter skips a meeting before a do-or-die game and the starter is (1) too dumb to read a watch; or (2) so arrogant and/or stupid to believe that lie is even feasible... That it is the backup that should be cut because he admitted he was not fully prepared to play. But the starter, after doing all of the embarassing, pathetic, incompetent and/or insulting actions listed above, should not even be benched for a game.

You people crack me up.

The locker room imploded in 2011-2012 because of Rex's handling of Sanchez and the frustration that came out of that debacle. We are now seeing THE EXACT SAME THING WITH GENO. Rex just does not learn. He has to go. Most of the people who were calling for Vick to start did not think he was the savior. This was all about accountability and sending the right message to the team and to the young QB--who obviously needs life coaching. And now the chickens have come home to roost, just as predicted.

Bigger than a Geno thing. This is a coach thing. The similarities are eerie. Anyone who thought that Rex's QB problems were things that were foist upon him are learning a lesson right now. The man is simply incompetent.

It's also a good glimpse into the culture of the locker room--no accountability, no discipline, no anxiety over losing playing time, and thus minimal impetus among those not in that chosen group of starters to get better, because it doesn't matter. No one ever gets the stick, there is no line to toe, and there's no motivation in Florham Park other than to rally around the halfwit coach when his job is on the line. If Rex was the manager of a Dairy Queen, his employees would pack on 200 lbs each, they'd show up to work whenever they felt like it, new hires would flounder, and the place would be shut down in two months.

Bigger than a Geno thing. This is a coach thing. The similarities are eerie. Anyone who thought that Rex's QB problems were things that were foist upon him are learning a lesson right now. The man is simply incompetent.

It's also a good glimpse into the culture of the locker room--no accountability, no discipline, no anxiety over losing playing time, and thus minimal impetus among those not in that chosen group of starters to get better, because it doesn't matter. No one ever gets the stick, there is no line to toe, and there's no motivation in Florham Park other than to rally around the halfwit coach when his job is on the line. If Rex was the manager of a Dairy Queen, his employees would pack on 200 lbs each, they'd show up to work whenever they felt like it, new hires would flounder, and the place would be shut down in two months.

Hard to disagree with logic. Loyalty to a player should only be given to those with loyalty to the team. Players who come in early and stay late. Players who sacrifice...Wasn't Geno's work ethic questioned last year by some players? If there was an ounce of truth to it...How can you show him ANY loyalty. Geno is probably a single example from way too many available on this team.

Rex doesn't decide the QB it's that simple. He's not interested in picking a fight with his boss about the handpicked QB.

HC doesn't decide the QB and the GM doesn't decide the HC... Someone please tell me why any marquee coach is going to want to come to the insanity that is Woody World?

Rex doesn't decide the QB it's that simple. He's not interested in picking a fight with his boss about the handpicked QB. 

If true, that makes him more stupid than ever. He is coaching for his job. The QB choice rests on the shoulders of the coach no matter what the GM says. We are talking apples and orange but when Jones went on national tv and basically told Parcells to start Bledsoe, Parcells started Romo. I am not comparing Parcells to Ryan...I am speaking about guts and making the CORRECT decision. I would say that in no way Idzik has more say than Jones does with the Cowboys.

HC doesn't decide the QB and the GM doesn't decide the HC... Someone please tell me why any marquee coach is going to want to come to the insanity that is Woody World?

truth. 

I see posters saying why not Jim Harbaugh? It's not exactly a marquee destination. The only people who take this job are first timers and those without other options. 

Hard to disagree with logic. Loyalty to a player should only be given to those with loyalty to the team. Players who come in early and stay late. Players who sacrifice...Wasn't Geno's work ethic questioned last year by some players? If there was an ounce of truth to it...How can you show him ANY loyalty. Geno is probably a single example from way too many available on this team.

Being blindly loyal to geno is being disloyal to the other 52 guys in that locker room. That is what the softest of the players coaches never understood. You are ultimately liked more by the players for holding the guys who are hurting the team accountable

Being blindly loyal to geno is being disloyal to the other 52 guys in that locker room. That is what the softest of the players coaches never understood. You are ultimately liked more by the players for holding the guys who are hurting the team accountable

I forget who said it, but a former athlete said that players want and need discipline, that they have enough friends and enablers around them. Any coach that wants to be your friend is hurting you.

Is agree with you if this phenomenon didn't carry over to every other position on the team.

I think you are both right-- idzik has to be involved in a decision around the qb but nothing in Rex's past-- especially in regards to Sanchez--indicates that he would have done anything differently. What you are seeing with the "the qb decision is an organizational decision" comments from Rex are a drowning fat man flailing for one more scapegoat.

COMPLETELY agree!...Not one ounce of doubt about that.

I think you are both right-- idzik has to be involved in a decision around the qb but nothing in Rex's past-- especially in regards to Sanchez--indicates that he would have done anything differently. What you are seeing with the "the qb decision is an organizational decision" comments from Rex are a drowning fat man flailing for one more scapegoat.

Or, he just lets other people manage the QB altogether independent of himself. Which is pathetic.

You people crack me up.

So let me get this straight, you are saying that the head coach needs to check in with the $5 mil a year vet back up QB to make sure he is prepairing enough and correctly??    

I guess any personnal responsibility is not expected from anyone any more.   As a coach you bring in a vet QB to show and teach your young QB how to do these things, not so you have to spend your time making sure he does them. 

Man, there is a ton a reasons to hate Rex but this is just not one of them.

The Jets give him no reps every week, how is he going to prepare? By osmosis?  Mental reps aren't really reps.

I have been all over Geno this year and yeah it's clear Vick is disinterested.  But this whole situation was butchered. They should have made it a competition. The jets fooled themselves into believing Geno was getting better, but really, the positions are just given out by upper management. It's no way to run a football team.

PS _ as bad as Vick was last week he was technically better than Geno, who had a QB rating of 7 and apparently can't tell time.

end thread.

So let me get this straight, you are saying that the head coach needs to check in with the $5 mil a year vet back up QB to make sure he is prepairing enough and correctly??    

I guess any personnal responsibility is not expected from anyone any more.   As a coach you bring in a vet QB to show and teach your young QB how to do these things, not so you have to spend your time making sure he does them. 

Man, there is a ton a reasons to hate Rex but this is just not one of them.

There is enough stink here that it covers almost everyone, Vick included. If this was an isolated incident--a vet player quitting--then I'd completely agree. But it isn't. The team has quit on Rex, including Vick, and yes that is mostly on Rex and Idzik because quite frankly I don't know who the Hell is responsible for what decision anymore.

Well geno says "**** you" to his coach, to the team, to the fans by not bothering to show at the last meeting before game day and tries to pass the most ridiculous and intelligence-insulting excuse possible and the HC does nothing, i can forgive vick for assuming there was nothing geno could do to get the hook

Yes, I'm sure this is exactly how you would react if the situations were reversed.  There is no excuse for this kind of crap from Vick, just as there is none for Geno, Rex, or anyone else.  The truth is you were right about Geno, but wrong about Vick.  Just as many of us were wrong about Geno, and right about Vick.  The truth is that they both absolutely suck, and are incompetent assholes to boot; no reason to let your hatred for Geno cloud your opinions on anyone else.

Excusing Vick not only playing like crap, but openly admitting he didn't bother preparing, is no different than touting the coaching abilities of Herm Edwards in terms of ridiculous arguments that do more to discredit than support an otherwise valid point (Geno / Rex sucking ass).

Yes, I'm sure this is exactly how you would react if the situations were reversed.  There is no excuse for this kind of crap from Vick, just as there is none for Geno, Rex, or anyone else.  The truth is you were right about Geno, but wrong about Vick.  Just as many of us were wrong about Geno, and right about Vick.  The truth is that they both absolutely suck, and are incompetent assholes to boot; no reason to let your hatred for Geno cloud your opinions on anyone else.

Excusing Vick not only playing like crap, but openly admitting he didn't bother preparing, is no different than touting the coaching abilities of Herm Edwards in terms of ridiculous arguments that do more to discredit than support an otherwise valid point (Geno / Rex sucking ass).

How am I wrong? Geno should be benched because of Geno, not because Vick is better. Kid needs a wakeup call. If Curtis Painter was the backup I'd have the same opinion. It has nothing to do with Vick, even though with prep I think he would be better than Geno, that doesn't matter. This was all about Geno.

I don't think it was he wasn't prepared at all he is just saying I could have been better prepared. I do believe that but I also believe if you have a dumb HC who basically shows he plays favorites and doesn't hold people accountable then he prob didn't expect Rex to ever put him in. I do agree however that vick being a veteran should have known better but it is just more idiot coaching with wrecks. I do like the fact that he didn't give a lame P.R excuse or even a dumb excuse unlike other people.

It shows given the chance he would be more of a leader and hold himself accountable even if the dumbass coach does not.

How am I wrong? Geno should be benched because of Geno, not because Vick is better. Kid needs a wakeup call. If Curtis Painter was the backup I'd have the same opinion. It has nothing to do with Vick, even though with prep I think he would be better than Geno, that doesn't matter. This was all about Geno.

You're wrong because, despite your attempts to dismiss the relevancy of this point, you've been touting Vick around here since he was signed, and all evidence to this point suggests that he's awful.  The truth is you're now doing for Vick everything you've spent months criticizing people for doing with Geno, making excuses.  To be so pissed about missing a meeting and yet forgive not bothering to prepare at all is as hypocritical of an argument as you can try to make.  If Geno doesn't deserve to play for his actions, then neither does Vick.

Frankly, the Jets could cut both of their asses today for all I care and take on the rest of the season with Simms and whoever is available on the street.  What's Brooks Bollinger up to these days anyway?

You're wrong because, despite your attempts to dismiss the relevancy of this point, you've been touting Vick around here since he was signed, and all evidence to this point suggests that he's awful.  The truth is you're now doing for Vick everything you've spent months criticizing people for doing with Geno, making excuses.  To be so pissed about missing a meeting and yet forgive not bothering to prepare at all is as hypocritical of an argument as you can try to make.  If Geno doesn't deserve to play for his actions, then neither does Vick.

Frankly, the Jets could cut both of their asses today for all I care and take on the rest of the season with Simms and whoever is available on the street.  What's Brooks Bollinger up to these days anyway?

Admitting you made a mistake is not an excuse, first. Second, would it make you feel better if I said I think Vick is the best QB in the NFL? Fine I said it. Believe what you want brah.

Mike Vick says he may not have been prepared for Chargers

BY SETH WALDER    NEW YORK DAILY NEWS Wednesday, October 8, 2014, 5:25 PM A A A

Mike Vick suggests he has to be better prepared to enter a game.

Mike Vick took over for a benched Geno Smith at half time of the Jets’ 31-0 loss to the Chargers but played almost as poorly as the man he replaced. On Wednesday, the veteran backup said he may not have been as ready to enter the game as he should have been.

“Maybe I didn’t prepare or I wasn’t prepared, but I’ll tell you what, it won’t happen again,” Vick said.

He completed eight of 19 pass attempts for 47 yards in the loss.

“I learned a lesson last week: always stay ready, always be prepared,” Vick said. “That left a bitter taste in my mouth that I wasn’t able to go out and put points on the board or even help this team in any fashion. So this week has been a different work week from me (and) throughout the rest of the year, it’s going to be totally different for me as far as my preparation.”

Despite the fact that Smith has not played well this season and was replaced at half time, the second-year QB will start Sunday against the Broncos. Vick indicated that he will take a larger share of the scout team reps, which he splits with practice squad QB Matt Simms, this week.

The QB later said that it wasn't the lack of practice snaps that had him unprepared, but rather that he may have taken the scout team reps for granted.

@SethWalderNYDN

that is baffling for a Vet who has seen these 'QB comes in without warning' many times in his career...I'm like WTF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Archived