Sounds like Rex Ryan will eschew his many future Head Coaching offers to work for ESPN

T0mShane

Rex Ryan in high demand for TV...

By Richard Dietsch

http://www.si.com/more-sports/2014/11/30/rex-ryan-seth-markman-television-football-analyst-jemele-hill-janay-rice-paul-finebaum-iron-bowl

If Jets owner Woody Johnson no longer has eyes for Rex Ryan, the coach will have plenty of suitors waiting for him among football-airing networks. Interviews last week with sports television executives confirmed the obvious: Ryan has a golden ticket for an NFL analyst job next year if he is not retained by the Jets, unable to find another coaching job or simply wants a year away from the All-22 life.

“He pretty much has everything TV networks would look for. He has personality, he’s not shy about his opinions, and he’s a colorful character,” said ESPN senior coordinating producer Seth Markman, the executive in charge of hiring ESPN’s NFL studio talent. “I think he would be successful whether it is in studio or doing games. When I close my eyes and listen to him I hear a little bit of John Madden in him. There is going to be a lot of interest in Rex if that is what he wants to do.”

That’s significant praise from a respected sports television exec who has made plenty of talent hires over the years, including Ray Lewis in 2013. The optics and credentials Ryan brings are promising. He is a sound-bite machine with two AFC Championship Games on his coaching resume and longterm experience in the toughest media market in sports. He was also the breakout star of the 2010 edition of HBO’s Hard Knocks thanks to his prodigious swearing and hilarious rants, including the famed “lets go eat a goddamn snack” speech.

You can distill it to four simple words: he makes good television.

Networks will reach out very quickly if Ryan gets fired and some have likely passed along word through emissaries to his business representatives. ESPN would be among the favorites to land him given how many platforms and NFL-related shows it airs. It doesn’t take a leap to see Ryan slotting into Mike Ditka’s current role. CBS has long ties to Ryan given the network airs the AFC package and the coach has been in a ton of CBS NFL production meetings over the years. The network declined comment on Ryan this week.

Fox Sports Media Group executive producer John Entz previously told Sports Illustrated that Ryan was high on his list. The NFL Network certainly has the programming to fit in Ryan and asked about interest in Ryan, an NFL Network spokesperson said, “Our policy is we don’t comment on NFL personnel who are currently under contract to a team or the league.” NBC is the one over-the-air network unlikely to switch any of its major talent but it is located close to Ryan’s New Jersey home.

“Rex will command a big role on a big show and there are only so many of those chairs,” Markman said.

I cannot wait for him to be on TV. Then, it'll be safe to like the guy without it being detrimental to this team.

Also, if you think Revis has been petty as a jilted Jet, you just wait for Rex's insecure nature to come pouring out on the tube. Not to mention, some of you are going to finally see first hand the level of pedestrian fanboy knowledge he has around player talent and coaching strategy.

Oh yeah......... CAN'T WAIT!

That would be the best possible scenario.  We're already dealing with Revis winning the SB in New England with a guy who was our HC for a day vs. Mark Sanchez with the Eagles and Pettine quickly becoming the best Head Coach in Football.  I'd hate to see him coaching some other team to greatness.  Jets fans deal with enough of that type of stuff as it is.  

Although, I'd have a perma bone dog if he took over the Gators.

That would be the best possible scenario.  We're already dealing with Revis winning the SB in New England with a guy who was our HC for a day vs. Mark Sanchez with the Eagles and Pettine quickly becoming the best Head Coach in Football.  I'd hate to see him coaching some other team to greatness.  Jets fans deal with enough of that type of stuff as it is. 

You also forgot about Drew Stanton, who was on our roster for a few days as well.  Two of our former QB's are currently at the helm of teams that may earn 1st round byes in the NFC.

Good think Tebow isn't starting fullback for the Packers or something.

You also forgot about Drew Stanton, who was on our roster for a few days as well.  Two of our former QB's are currently at the helm of teams that may earn 1st round byes in the NFC.

Good think Tebow isn't starting fullback for the Packers or something.

I didnt forget...I was just trying to lighten the blow.

Although, I'd have a perma bone dog if he took over the Gators.

Pettine is becoming the best head coach in football?

Like many before him, his career will likely die in the smoldering wreckage of the accident that was hiring and retaining Rex Ryan.

also drafting bad football players and not signing good free agents those are going to hurt him as well.

Archived