Doug Marrone Opts Out - MERGED

JetsFanatic

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I will start where you started. Did Kubiak finish with a losing record? Did that record get worse as he spent more time with the team/

Did Bill O'Brien step in and turn that team right around?

You are correct-There is no right answer. And for you to just dismiss Marrone because he has a .500 college record, or near .5000 record as a pro, is really not careful consideration. It has to go deeper than that.

The candidates you gave have the same baggage.

I didn't dismiss him, I've done the complete opposite of dismiss him.  I have come here and asked several different times for somebody to show me something he has done that would excite a fan base. He never has.  I ask you what he has accomplished, and your answer is Ryan Nassib? Really?  Jets  fans should be excited about this guy because his crowing achievement was Ryan Nassib and two-time winner of the "who gives a sh!t" bowl?

This is why the NFL has retreads.  Owners, like some fans, are scared to take a shot on a guy who has excelled at a lower level, so they take a stab at somebody who has failed once already.  Honestly, outisde of Kubiak, there is nobody that I get all that pumped about.  It's a bunch of unknowns.  Marrone isn't an unknown...we know he's a .500 coach who, like Rex, failed to develop a QB.  If Marrone is the second coming, why didn't Buffalo meet his demands and give him more years?

Please...convert me...I want to like the guy as much as you do...I want to believe he's going to end the Jets SB drought.  Is there something you aren't telling me other than Ryan Nassib and .500?  Tell me...I want to like the guy.

Question should we check the shoe tree's for kickers??

The thing is, great coaches don't fall in your lap. Most likely, you have to recognize talent, give it opportunity to grow, and then inspect your expectations. 

The Jets had a great one (my opinion) in Walt Michaels, and they just threw that out the window. Then they blackballed the guy.

I like what Woody is doing-using professional people in this league who have connections. Let them lead the charge. They know more than owners, than writers and even fans.

And, because a coach does not have a certain record you like, you don't just disqualify him, you look deeper. What has he really done? What has he developed. Looking at Ws and Ls is the most shallow of criteria.

what article?

The "Rex's Savior" article.  It was an article written because it was pertinent to the discussion at that time.  If I found a quote with Casserly saying "Rex is a good coach" then I wouldn't have written about it...not a big deal as these guys compliment each other all the time.  However, when you find a quote from a guy saying Rex was the best coach in the NFL the year before and now he's advising Woody on what to do, that's eye catching.  I haven't written anything on his thought on Marrone because at this point it's hearsay.  I do think he loves Marrone though.  That's gotta' be who they were calling Sexton about before telling Rex he was fired.  A guess obviously, but I do think Casserly loves him.  When the announcement is official and Marrone is named, I'll write something up that tells the whole story.  I'll mention his good/bad/meh and I'll be honest.  I'm not saying he's never done a good thing or doesn't know football, I'm saying he hasn't done anything that would lead me to believe he's great.  I was hoping for great.

The thing is, great coaches don't fall in your lap. Most likely, you have to recognize talent, give it opportunity to grow, and then inspect your expectations. 

The Jets had a great one (my opinion) in Walt Michaels, and they just threw that out the window. Then they blackballed the guy.

I like what Rex is doing-using professional people in this league who have connections. Let them lead the charge. They know more than owners, than writers and even fans.

And, because a coach does not have a certain record you like, you don't just disqualify him, you look deeper. What has he really done? What has he developed. Looking at Ws and Ls is the most shallow of criteria.

Old Walt is one of my all time favorites no doubt he got a bum deal because he was nuts at Shula for the Mud Bowl and rightly so..

The "Rex's Savior" article.  It was an article written because it was pertinent to the discussion at that time.  If I found a quote with Casserly saying "Rex is a good coach" then I wouldn't have written about it...not a big deal as these guys compliment each other all the time.  However, when you find a quote from a guy saying Rex was the best coach in the NFL the year before and now he's advising Woody on what to do, that's eye catching.  I haven't written anything on his thought on Marrone because at this point it's hearsay.  I do think he loves Marrone though.  That's gotta' be who they were calling Sexton about before telling Rex he was fired.  A guess obviously, but I do think Casserly loves him.  When the announcement is official and Marrone is named, I'll write something up that tells the whole story.  I'll mention his good/bad/meh and I'll be honest.  I'm not saying he's never done a good thing or doesn't know football, I'm saying he hasn't done anything that would lead me to believe he's great.  I was hoping for great.

Great coaches are developed, and usually employed.

I like what Rex is doing-using professional people in this league who have connections. Let them lead the charge. They know more than owners, than writers and even fans.

Huh???

What's going to make everyone's head really explode is when they hire this dude and he brings Paul Hackett's kid with him to run the offense.

Peter Jefferson ' s son Tom...smarter than he was

Same with Ted Edison ' s son Tom.

Millions of other cases where, unlike that of Crazy Carl Senior, the son turns out to be much smarter than the father

Peter Jefferson ' s son Tom...smarter than he was

Same with Ted Edison ' s son Tom.

Millions of other cases where, unlike that of Crazy Carl Senior, where the son turns out to be much smarter than the father

Want to read what you wrote again? Because lol.

And then tell me some stats on how good the Bills were with Hackett at the helm of the offense. Thanks.

Bills fans wanted him fired. He did the play calling. Not Marrone. He's just as bad as his old man.

Excluding Den/NE 90% of a teams fanbase wants their OC fired.

Polian spoke highly of what Buffalo did with what they had.

@MikeMcCartney7: Some great media insight by former Veteran NFL Scout @greggabe: http://t.co/BQOtVRVsjm

Saturday, in the New York Daily News, New York Jets beat writer Manish Mehta wrote an article titled “NY Jets interview Doug Marrone, and with Bills, the average ex-coach rubbed many in the organization the wrong way”. After reading the article, I have one thing to say, it’s total garbage! In this year’s hiring cycle, I have seen media getting more involved with their opinions than at any other time in the past. In the case of Marrone and the Jets, all you have to do is follow Mehta’s tweets over the last week, and you see he is one who wants to sabotage the Jets possible hiring of Marrone. He doesn’t want Marrone to be the coach, so he will make his feelings known in any way possible.

There are some media who are very knowledgable people, have strong connections, and come up with excellent perspective in regards to some coaching/GM candidates. Mehta isn’t one of them. This article was nothing but an immature hack job. He quotes “sources” inside the Bills' front office, but names none. Were they the General Manager or CEO? I highly doubt it.

I know that Marrone had some problems with a couple of writers at the Buffalo News, but the people he had problems with, know absolutely nothing about football. He was criticized for being a conservative coach. What these people don’t realize is that Doug Marrone just coached the Buffalo Bills to their first winning season in 10 years, and they are complaining about it.

Going into the season, there wasn’t anyone around the league who felt the Bills had the slightest chance of having a winning season. Yet, 17 weeks later, we find that they swept the entire NFC North which included two playoff teams, swept Mehta’s Jets by 20 and 35 points respectively, and also beat the New England Patriots.

The Bills did this with an average roster and a journeyman quarterback. The naysayers in the Buffalo media felt the Bills should have been in the playoffs. These people are dreamers. The reality is this team was not a playoff team and was also one of the better coached teams in the NFL. When you look at Mehta’s article, you see the same “quotes” that negative Buffalo writers have written or talked about on talk radio which leads me to believe that Mehta’s sources were his media friends.

After spending 30 years in the National Football League, I have no problem with a writer or a radio host giving solid informed opinions. I do have a problem when they write/talk about things they know nothing about. Some of these media types feel that they are better prepared to make the football decisions than the real football people. Most of these people never played or coached the game past high school, and if given the opportunity to make a decision, wouldn't know where to start. Mehta is one who would fit that category.

Thae fact is, Doug Marrone is highly thought of by respected football people throughout the National Football League. What Mehta is trying to do is manipulate the process with his writing when, in reality, it’s an area he knows nothing about. This type of “manipulation” does not go on just in New York. I have seen it in Chicago, where the Bears are in the process of hiring a new General Manager and Coach just as the Jets are. Being that I live in Chicago, I can’t believe the things I have been hearing about some of the candidates. They seem to pull names out of a hat and push those names, yet they know nothing about the people they are talking about.

They also do the opposite and criticize a candidate because of his “association” with someone they don’t like. That type of thinking is ludicrous. Each candidate has to be measured on his own merit and philosophy, not what his bosses or friends may have done in the past. In each organization, there is a chain of command. Top employees know where they stand in the chain and don’t sabotage what their boss is trying to accomplish. Their job may be to give their opinion, but in the end, the final decision rests in the hands of the decision maker. The subordinate shouldn’t be judged on those decisions but only on the input he had in that decision. Yet, many in the media seem to think the opposite. That’s not right.

If only there was a head coach available who has demonstrated an ability to coach up one side of the ball and has had some success against Tom Brady, who would benefit from a really good GM, QB, and coordinators. If only that guy was out there

1) When had he shown the ability to "coach up" one side of the ball? He really coached up that 26th ranked Bills offense. Woulda been 32nd without his steely eyed genius!

2) What success against Tom Brady? Is that like Rex's 2009 success against Peyton Manning?

Edit: you were talking about Rex, obviously. Now, I feel stupid.

@MikeMcCartney7: Some great media insight by former Veteran NFL Scout @greggabe: http://t.co/BQOtVRVsjm

Saturday, in the New York Daily News, New York Jets beat writer Manish Mehta wrote an article titled “NY Jets interview Doug Marrone, and with Bills, the average ex-coach rubbed many in the organization the wrong way”. After reading the article, I have one thing to say, it’s total garbage! In this year’s hiring cycle, I have seen media getting more involved with their opinions than at any other time in the past. In the case of Marrone and the Jets, all you have to do is follow Mehta’s tweets over the last week, and you see he is one who wants to sabotage the Jets possible hiring of Marrone. He doesn’t want Marrone to be the coach, so he will make his feelings known in any way possible.

There are some media who are very knowledgable people, have strong connections, and come up with excellent perspective in regards to some coaching/GM candidates. Mehta isn’t one of them. This article was nothing but an immature hack job. He quotes “sources” inside the Bills' front office, but names none. Were they the General Manager or CEO? I highly doubt it.

I know that Marrone had some problems with a couple of writers at the Buffalo News, but the people he had problems with, know absolutely nothing about football. He was criticized for being a conservative coach. What these people don’t realize is that Doug Marrone just coached the Buffalo Bills to their first winning season in 10 years, and they are complaining about it.

Going into the season, there wasn’t anyone around the league who felt the Bills had the slightest chance of having a winning season. Yet, 17 weeks later, we find that they swept the entire NFC North which included two playoff teams, swept Mehta’s Jets by 20 and 35 points respectively, and also beat the New England Patriots.

The Bills did this with an average roster and a journeyman quarterback. The naysayers in the Buffalo media felt the Bills should have been in the playoffs. These people are dreamers. The reality is this team was not a playoff team and was also one of the better coached teams in the NFL. When you look at Mehta’s article, you see the same “quotes” that negative Buffalo writers have written or talked about on talk radio which leads me to believe that Mehta’s sources were his media friends.

After spending 30 years in the National Football League, I have no problem with a writer or a radio host giving solid informed opinions. I do have a problem when they write/talk about things they know nothing about. Some of these media types feel that they are better prepared to make the football decisions than the real football people. Most of these people never played or coached the game past high school, and if given the opportunity to make a decision, wouldn't know where to start. Mehta is one who would fit that category.

Thae fact is, Doug Marrone is highly thought of by respected football people throughout the National Football League. What Mehta is trying to do is manipulate the process with his writing when, in reality, it’s an area he knows nothing about. This type of “manipulation” does not go on just in New York. I have seen it in Chicago, where the Bears are in the process of hiring a new General Manager and Coach just as the Jets are. Being that I live in Chicago, I can’t believe the things I have been hearing about some of the candidates. They seem to pull names out of a hat and push those names, yet they know nothing about the people they are talking about.

They also do the opposite and criticize a candidate because of his “association” with someone they don’t like. That type of thinking is ludicrous. Each candidate has to be measured on his own merit and philosophy, not what his bosses or friends may have done in the past. In each organization, there is a chain of command. Top employees know where they stand in the chain and don’t sabotage what their boss is trying to accomplish. Their job may be to give their opinion, but in the end, the final decision rests in the hands of the decision maker. The subordinate shouldn’t be judged on those decisions but only on the input he had in that decision. Yet, many in the media seem to think the opposite. That’s not right.

We need to get more of this...

Maybe the DN will eventually have enough of this guy.

What Mehta wrote was terrible and unfair. He has no inside information and no sources. Try finding one person in the league to say Marrone is a bad coach. You won't. If Marrone does get the job, jets fans should boycott the Dailey news.

you can't allow Tom Brady to effortlessly throw the ball all around the field like he did against the Marrone's Bills.  As much as I'd love an offensive guru, this division belongs to the Pats for the next 3-4 years unless somebody can slow that offense down.

Rex is apparently the only guy who can slow down Brady and yet still lose to him repeatedly. You need to outscore them not simply slow them down. Bills & Pats split this year.

What quality is it that Rex has that makes you think he was a great coach, again?

Since becoming the Jets HC, he was able to beat the HOF combo of Brady/Belly at a higher rate than the rest of the NFL combined.  

In looking for a reason to like Marrone, I looked at what he'd done against the two, thinking maybe he'd beaten them or made their lives misearable.  Turns out he was 0-3 with two blowouts vs Brady, and 1-0 vs. Brady/Garopplolo.

PS...Rex is gone now, we should worry about the here and now.

Rex is apparently the only guy who can slow down Brady and yet still lose to him repeatedly. You need to outscore them not simply slow them down. Bills & Pats split this year.

Yes, Marrone did a great job against Brady/Garoppolo in week 17 as the Pats got Brady a few practice reps and benched Gronk.

What quality is it that Rex has that makes you think he was a great coach, again?

When you think of it Scott how many HC's have been great without a decent QB?? While I do like Rex he isn't a complete HC and hopefully learns from his mistakes with the Jets in the future. His biggest downfall was getting to the AFCCG 2 years in a row because nothing less the a Bowl would have satisfied Lombardi hungry Jet fans.. It was like dating this hot chick and getting laid on your first 2 dates and then she suddenly becomes a  born again virgin.. It's enough to make someone go all Winston on a girl.. Had Rex had a record of 4-12,6-10,8-8.8-8 9-7 and 11-5 going into 2015 it would have shown a upward trend and hope..If I was Rex I would collect my money from Woody and do TV for a year at least..

When you think of it Scott how many HC's have been great without a decent QB?? While I do like Rex he isn't a complete HC and hopefully learns from his mistakes with the Jets in the future. His biggest downfall was getting to the AFCCG 2 years in a row because nothing less the a Bowl would have satisfied Lombardi hungry Jet fans.. It was like dating this hot chick and getting laid on your first 2 dates and then she suddenly becomes a  born again virgin.. It's enough to make someone go all Winston on a girl.. Had Rex had a record of 4-12,6-10,8-8.8-8 9-7 and 11-5 going into 2015 it would have shown a upward trend and hope..If I was Rex I would collect my money from Woody and do TV for a year at least..

I can answer that for you....none, but it's Rex's fault that Sanchez and Geno weren't great.  Both first ballot HOFers now that they're out from under his thumb.

Since becoming the Jets HC, he was able to beat the HOF combo of Brady/Belly at a higher rate than the rest of the NFL combined.  

In looking for a reason to like Marrone, I looked at what he'd done against the two, thinking maybe he'd beaten them or made their lives misearable.  Turns out he was 0-3 with two blowouts vs Brady, and 1-0 vs. Brady/Garopplolo.

PS...Rex is gone now, we should worry about the here and now.

So, your focus is entirely on the Patriots, and no one else? Sounds like Woody type thinking in the past.

Yeah, that 4-9 record is glistening.

If this is the criteria, we should trade picks for Tom Coughlin.

So, your focus is entirely on the Patriots, and no one else? Sounds like Woody type thinking in the past.

Yeah, that 4-9 record is glistening.

If this is the criteria, we should trade picks for Tom Coughlin.

No, we need a guy who has never done a thing. Marrone is our guy.

Archived