Doug Marrone Opts Out - MERGED

JetsFanatic

NY Daily News has been shameful in their coverage of this. I would bull their credentials and ban them from our building. 

B6hVFdNCAAAbyBn.jpg

Oh the poor media , what are they to do . Rex is gone, the softballs lobbed up to them at half speed is rumored to be replaced by some fastballs aimed at their heads. The hacks are going to need to work and they don't like it one bit. If Marrone is hired I'm waiting for the "movement" by the lazy beat writers - the crap unfactual stories aren't enough. 

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

NY Daily News has been shameful in their coverage of this. I would bull their credentials and ban them from our building. 

B6hVFdNCAAAbyBn.jpg

There claim he's abrasive with the media so that should make him a bad HC?....They have gone so far over the line of journalism it's amazing..

Oh the poor media , what are they to do . Rex is gone, the softballs lobbed up to them at half speed is rumored to be replaced by some fastballs aimed at their heads. The hacks are going to need to work and they don't like it one bit. If Marrone is hired I'm waiting for the "movement" by the lazy beat writers - the crap unfactual stories aren't enough. 

I am confused, is he to manage our Miss Manners school, or a football team?

Is this even a story?

http://theredzone.org/BlogDescription/tabid/61/EntryId/47157/Sources--Doug-Marrone-didn-t-like-Watkins-trade/Default.aspx

Well at least he won't get fired for not expressing his anger with the GM about draft day trades/picks and most likely free agents too.

Actually when trying to think of Marrone faults one I thought of was the trade for Watkins, seems like a great player but cost too much.

In a draft with that much WR talent the second worst thing you can do after not taking any WRs in the first 3 rounds, is give away a ton of picks to trade up for the 1A receiver especially when you could have had 1B (Odell) by staying put.

In a draft with that much WR talent the second worst thing you can do after not taking any WRs in the first 3 rounds, is give away a ton of picks to trade up for the 1A receiver especially when you could have had 1B (Odell) by staying put.

Evans was 1B.

I agree with your general point, however.

How long did he have EJ? It is difficult to develop a QB you place on teh bench.

He did develop Nassib, who was a very good prospect out of Malvern Prep (same HS as Matt Ryan), but not considered a no-brainer prospect. 

Marrone did not recruit Nassib. He inherited him. And, he nurtured the kid into one of the most prolific QBs all time at Syracuse, and an NFL prospect.

EJ was a top 10 pick if Nassib was so great he wouldn't have fell to the 4th rd..

You did not know who the guy was a couple of days ago, other than spouting records at Syracuse and Buffalo. That is hardly a total measuring stick of a coach.

If you did not watch him, all I can do is tell you about him. Or have you listen to others that served underneath him.

SAgain, I ask you, who do you have in your pocket that is better than Marrone? And why?

I knew who he was, I just didn't know how bad he was because I never had any reason to.  I figured since he got an NFL gig, he must have won 70-75% of his college games.  Turns out I was wrong, NFL teams do sometimes hire guys who go .500 in the minor leagues.  Then surprisingly, they get to the NFL and coach at a .500 clip there too.  I just can't believe that with all the BS rhetoric we've been hearing all year about wins and records and not wanting to hear excuses, we're now supposed to be excited about bringing in a guy with a .500 record, because he has some top-notch excuses.

Bowles or Quinn if they can bring a strong OC with them and a GM with a strong personnel background to bring in a QB. In the AFC East, you can't allow Tom Brady to effortlessly throw the ball all around the field like he did against the Marrone's Bills.  As much as I'd love an offensive guru, this division belongs to the Pats for the next 3-4 years unless somebody can slow that offense down.

But couldn't develop EJ??? :sick0017:

If you saw E J Manuel play at FSU, you would not have drafted him in the 4th round. Geno Smith has a reason for looking like he does, because he didn't play in an offense that in any way resembled a pro offense. Manuel did at FSU, and couldn't hit the broad side of a barn consistently. Manuel is like a tall guy in basketball, Just because he looks he should be able to play doesn't mean he can.

I am confused, is he to manage our Miss Manners school, or a football team?

Is this even a story?

No it shouldn't be for any fan of the Jets. Its the media who are feebily attempting to blackball Marrone because they are afraid they might have to work for stories if he's hired. 

I think Marrone is one of the top choices. So for me that just puts him in a group that I feel the Jets should choose from. How he does in the interview, or when talking to people in the league is something none of us have the advantage of seeing. There are other coaches I like just as much as Marrone. But this talk and treatment of Marrone because of the wide brush strokes a moron like Mehta put on him is mind boggling. 

I hate Mehta and couldn't possibly care less about his opinion.  He clearly has an agenda which would lead you to belive Cimini has a better relationship with Marrone that Mehta does.  I don't care what he says.  I care that we're likely hiring a guy with a .500 record to "turn this thing around".

If you saw E J Manuel play at FSU, you would not have drafted him in the 4th round. Geno Smith has a reason for looking like he does, because he didn't play in an offense that in any way resembled a pro offense. Manuel did at FSU, and couldn't hit the broad side of a barn consistently. Manuel is like a tall guy in basketball, Just because he looks he should be able to play doesn't mean he can.

Ok then the Bills shouldn't have drafted him in the 1st rd.. Here's what I don't get Rex gets blamed for drafting Sanchez but Marrone had nothing to do with drafting EJ??? 

I knew who he was, I just didn't know how bad he was because I never had any reason to.  I figured since he got an NFL gig, he must have won 70-75% of his college games.  Turns out I was wrong, NFL teams do sometimes hire guys who go .500 in the minor leagues.  Then surprisingly, they get to the NFL and coach at a .500 clip there too.  I just can't believe that with all the BS rhetoric we've been hearing all year about wins and records and not wanting to hear excuses, we're now supposed to be excited about bringing in a guy with a .500 record, because he has some top-notch excuses.

Bowles or Quinn if they can bring a strong OC with them and a GM with a strong personnel background to bring in a QB. In the AFC East, you can't allow Tom Brady to effortlessly throw the ball all around the field like he did against the Marrone's Bills.  As much as I'd love an offensive guru, this division belongs to the Pats for the next 3-4 years unless somebody can slow that offense down.

Syracuse is not a national power. Look at what he inherited. You do not change a college culture in 2-3 years.  Bill Parcells was 3-8 in college coaching.

Now, I will play the same game you play--

Todd Bowles? All he has ever done is coach 3 games of mop up duty? That is ineesperience. We are replacing with unknown. quantity. Look at all teh yards he gave up in a big game last night A playoff game.

Quinn? What has he ever done in coaching? Only a coordinator for 3 years? What didn't people see in him? He is riding the coaatails of Richard Sherman. He has no head coach exeprience at all.

Soooooooooo easy

Ok then the Bills shouldn't have drafted him in the 1st rd.. Here's what I don't get Rex gets blamed for drafting Sanchez but Marrone had nothing to do with drafting EJ??? 

Sounds about right.

Syracuse is not a national power. Look at what he inherited. You do not change a college culture in 2-3 years.  Bill Parcells was 3-8 in college coaching.

Now, I will play the same game you play--

Todd Bowles? All he has ever done is coach 3 games of mop up duty? That is ineesperience. We are replacing with unknown. quantity. Look at all teh yards he gave up in a big game last night A playoff game.

Quinn? What has he ever done in coaching? Only a coordinator for 3 years? What didn't people see in him? He is riding the coaatails of Richard Sherman. He has no head coach exeprience at all.

Soooooooooo easy

Are any of those things worse than getting knocked out of the playoffs by the Raiders?  The Radiers, who were coached buy a guy who was so stupid that his hiring to work for the Jets was one of the things that made Rex so stupid?

So the guy I'm supposed to be excited about got knocked out of the post season by an idiot who was merely an assistant to the other idiot we're replacing?

Is a poor performance in a playoff game worse than that?  I'd argue not.

You like Syracuse and Marrone was able to beat Colgate, Rhode Island, and Maine to get them to .500.  You like him for that reason.  I don't have any emotional connection to the guy.  I like the Jets, so I want to look at the history of the guys they're looking at and see something special.  If all I have is, he's .500 and developed an NFL back-up QB...ugh.  I was hoping they'd reach for somebody with a great resume....instead, they're looking at meh.

Are any of those things worse than getting knocked out of the playoffs by the Raiders?  The Radiers, who were coached buy a guy who was so stupid that his hiring to work for the Jets was one of the things that made Rex so stupid?

So the guy I'm supposed to be excited about got knocked out of the post season by an idiot who was merely an assistant to the other idiot we're replacing?

Is a poor performance in a playoff game worse than that?  I'd argue not.

You like Syracuse and Marrone was able to beat Colgate, Rhode Island, and Maine to get them to .500.  You like him for that reason.  I don't have any emotional connection to the guy.  I like the Jets, so I want to look at the history of the guys they're looking at and see something special.  If all I have is, he's .500 and developed an NFL back-up QB...ugh.  I was hoping they'd reach for somebody with a great resume....instead, they're looking at meh.

I don't like Syracuse, I just happen to watch them, which you obviously didn't. YOU admitted you were not aware of their record BEFORE Marrone. Marrone beat RANKED teams, when his team was the heavy underdog. He inherited a horrible program.

Stop acting like you are the only one that cares about the Jets,. We all like the Jets here.

Your boy Rex lost many games to some flimsy opponents, when it counted too.

I asked you to provide some relative comparison of whom they should hire. You provided "meh". 3 whole games of professional coaching is what you provided.

Are any of those things worse than getting knocked out of the playoffs by the Raiders? The Radiers, who were coached buy a guy who was so stupid that his hiring to work for the Jets was one of the things that made Rex so stupid?

Is a poor performance in a playoff game worse than that? I'd argue not.

You like Syracuse and Marrone was able to beat Colgate, Rhode Island, and Maine to get them to .500. You like him for that reason. I don't have any emotional connection to the guy. I like the Jets, so I want to look at the history of the guys they're looking at and see something special. If all I have is, he's .500 and developed an NFL back-up QB...ugh. I was hoping they'd reach for somebody with a great resume....instead, they're looking at meh.

Seems the Raiders were coached the last 12 games "buy" a guy that went 3-9.

So what great resume are you looking for?

Seems the Raiders were coached the last 12 games "buy" a guy that went 3-9.

So what great resume are you looking for?

I'm not....you guys have convinced me. .500 is the way to go!!

I don't like Syracuse, I just happen to watch them, which you obviously didn't. YOU admitted you were not aware of their record BEFORE Marrone. Marrone beat RANKED teams, when his team was the heavy underdog. He inherited a horrible program.

Stop acting like you are the only one that cares about the Jets,. We all like the Jets here.

I asked you to provide some relative comparison of whom they should hire. You provided "meh". 3 whole games of professional coaching is what you provided.

I'm sold. Marrone is the guy! Nobody better.

Your argument basically makes it that the Jets choices are exclusively limited to NFL head coaching retreads. If we are going to play that game, then fine. Gary Kubiak is a better choice than Doug Marrone. He developed QBs in Denver and Houston, fixed Flacco from being the turnover prone suck monster he was last year, and brings with him a running game that has made stars out of scrubs like Steve Slaton, UDFAs like Arian Foster, and has been never wases like Justin Forsett. He turned an expansion team that failed miserably at their inception into a team that was 12-4 in his penultimate season there.

Your argument basically makes it that the Jets choices are exclusively limited to NFL head coaching retreads. If we are going to play that game, then fine. Gary Kubiak is a better choice than Doug Marrone. He developed QBs in Denver and Houston, fixed Flacco from being the turnover prone suck monster he was last year, and brings with him a running game that has made stars out of scrubs like Steve Slaton, UDFAs like Arian Foster, and has been never wases like Justin Forsett. He turned an expansion team that failed miserably at their inception into a team that was 12-4 in his penultimate season there.

Agreed...only reason Kubiak isn't my top choice is his health. Jets need somebody to develop a young QB? Didn't he have a stroke during a game ?

Yes Kubiak is probably better than Marrone. But there is one problem. He's still employed and in the playoffs so we would have to wait for him. Same with Quinn. Marrone is available now. So is Bowles

If you're basing a decision just on a record Parcells & Walsh would have been fired after 2 years.

Agreed... Let's stop worrying about wins and losses. As long as it makes the media angry, we gotta pounce!

Yes Kubiak is probably better than Marrone. But there is one problem. He's still employed and in the playoffs so we would have to wait for him. Same with Quinn. Marrone is available now. So is Bowles

We can wait another week. If we have to wait longer than that, then we have a different reason altogether to celebrate.

Apparently the Bills thought they had an extension and Marrone leaves anyway. The Jets need less drama. Not more.

But apparently Woody wants him so we're all screwed until the next upheaval.

Do you know what Casserly & Wolf think about him?

I'm sold. Marrone is the guy! Nobody better.

What I find amusing is that when Charlie Casserly submits that Rex was a coach of the year candidate, you swallow that tripe and write an article athat Casserly might "be Rex's Savior".

As Casserly is "enamored" with Marrone, you totally discount that.

Seems to be some selective analysis.

Archived