Lupica: Rich Kotite comes to mind when thinking of Doug Marrone

JOJOTOWNSELL

according to lupica and mehta, sexton has already fleeced the jets, and its hilarious

ESPN actually had the balls to pose the question to the audience "what do you make of all the talk that marrone is the next great coach, does it make you nervous ?"

what a joke

they are saying that, not a single fan

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So who's the amazing candidate out there we're missing out on?  Adam Gase because he got coffee for Peyton Manning? 

I'm not saying I like the move I actually don't but the Jets HC job isn't exactly the most desirable job in the NFL right now.  We're probably the least desirable of all the Head Coach vacancies by far.  Crappy roster, clueless owner who meddles, NY media hates you, National media hates you, no QB and Tom Brady in the division another 5-10 years.

and you have quotes for this correct?  Tweets by coaching prospects?   At least a quote saying at least one coach who refuded to interview that is interviewing with other teams?

and you have quotes for this correct?  Tweets by coaching prospects?   At least a quote saying at least one coach who refuded to interview that is interviewing with other teams?

The Jets are by far the least attractive coaching vacancy. Even the raiders have more talent on their roster. You should be happy we can get anyone not named Mangini or Shurmur.

He was in Buffalo for two years! Hard to say it's a "trend". Kotite's Eagles had a better record in his second season, too. And won a playoff game.

He was in Buffalo for two years.  When he took over the team, it was hot garbage.  In two years he took that team to a winning record at 9-7.  His stint in Syracuse was similar, taking a perennial loser and making them competitive.  He's worked for the Jets, Saints as OC, and Bills as HC.  so someone out there thinks he knows what he's doing.  Kevin Mawae (radio today) says Marrone demands accountability and is an excellent coach with backbone.  If he doesn't sign on here, he'll be HC somewhere in 2015...that's an outright guarantee.  Fact is, Lupica is just trying to get ahead of the curve in bashing another Jets coach because history is in his favor.  Jets coaches take a beating and he knows it.  So he flames on in hopes he can say "I told you so" in three years...just like Manish. 

Bashing Marrone makes no sense. He runs a tight ship, takes no nonsense, isn't afraid to make the tough decisions, and he made great hires on his staff in Buffalo.

Is he a complete bore? Yes he might be, but so is his boy Tom Coughlin. As long as he allows quarterback growth, can manage all three phrases of the game, and put an excellent staff together he will get along fine here.

Oh and he needs to lose the visor. Maybe the FireIdzik guys can get on that.

He was in Buffalo for two years.  When he took over the team, it was hot garbage.  In two years he took that team to a winning record at 9-7.  His stint in Syracuse was similar, taking a perennial loser and making them competitive.  He's worked for the Jets, Saints as OC, and Bills as HC.  so someone out there thinks he knows what he's doing.  Kevin Mawae (radio today) says Marrone demands accountability and is an excellent coach with backbone.  If he doesn't sign on here, he'll be HC somewhere in 2015...that's an outright guarantee.  Fact is, Lupica is just trying to get ahead of the curve in bashing another Jets coach because history is in his favor.  Jets coaches take a beating and he knows it.  So he flames on in hopes he can say "I told you so" in three years...just like Manish. 

He beat the crappy Jets twice to push him over .500 once and since when is Syracuse an NFL credential?

Marrone was 4-8, 8-5, 5-7, and 8-5 to finish 25-25 in Syracuse.

Some of you are sugarcoating everything Marrone does and bashing Lupica before he opens his mouth.

He was in Buffalo for two years. When he took over the team, it was hot garbage. In two years he took that team to a winning record at 9-7. His stint in Syracuse was similar, taking a perennial loser and making them competitive. He's worked for the Jets, Saints as OC, and Bills as HC. so someone out there thinks he knows what he's doing. Kevin Mawae (radio today) says Marrone demands accountability and is an excellent coach with backbone. If he doesn't sign on here, he'll be HC somewhere in 2015...that's an outright guarantee. Fact is, Lupica is just trying to get ahead of the curve in bashing another Jets coach because history is in his favor. Jets coaches take a beating and he knows it. So he flames on in hopes he can say "I told you so" in three years...just like Manish.

It's nice how you can tout his "winning record". It is what it is, but that's inflated by beating us twice and then beating New England's backups.

Too bad you can't tout him as a "playoff coach" which he would have been if not for a very Jet-like week 16 chokejob against a Raiders team that at one point was threatening the 2008 Lions.

The point of the whole article is the process of how the coach was hired.....not the coach himself

But the process has been totally different.  After the 1994 season the Eagles FIRED Kotite (he didn't opt out).  When Hess heard he was fired (his daughter was watching the news on tv while the family was on vacation) he called the Jets President, Steve Gutman, and asked for Kotite's phone number.  He then called  Kotite and asked if were interested in coaching the Jets, Kotite said he was.  At that point Hess offered to cut his vacation short but Kotite said no need, he would wait for Hess to return to meet with him.  When Hess got back to New York from vacation he immediately fired Carroll and hired Kotite.  There were no other candidates, and Carroll was fired when Kotite became available.

This time around, Woody fires both the GM and HC before Marrone is available, and is conducting a thorough search with consultants. THERE IS NO COMPARISON BETWEEN THE TWO SITUATIONS.  IT'S BEYOND IDIOTIC, HOWEVER AN IGNORANT SPORTS FAN IS LUPICA & MEHTA'S BEST CUSTOMERS!  THEY ACTUALLY BELIEVE THIS NONSENSE!

It's really more like when they hired Herm. They were linked to Herm really early on, and then the GM candidates getting associated with the Jets were also associated with him - Jerry Angelo was the name we were hearing a lot. Bradway was recommended by Parcells (basically Woody's advisory team) and he, in turn, was also a Herm fan. I guess it's a KC thing, that's where Bradway came from and where we traded Herm to.

And now they seem focused on Marrone (although it's died out a little), and we're looking at GM candidates associated with him.

It's really more like when they hired Herm. They were linked to Herm really early on, and then the GM candidates getting associated with the Jets were also associated with him - Jerry Angelo was the name we were hearing a lot. Bradway was recommended by Parcells (basically Woody's advisory team) and he, in turn, was also a Herm fan. I guess it's a KC thing, that's where Bradway came from and where we traded Herm to.

And now they seem focused on Marrone (although it's died out a little), and we're looking at GM candidates associated with him.

Tagliabue pushed Herm on us as part of his diversity initiative. Herm was never even a coordinator before getting the Jets job. Herm was a soft revivalist minister type who got by on personality in lieu of any sort of substance. Other than that, just like Marrone.

The NYDN

Lupica Mehta Myers

The Moe, Curly and Larry of sportswriting

DO NOT BUY

DO NOT READ

DO NOT CLICK

Next step

Tell Advertisers you will.avoid their stores and products until these Three Assmigos are fired

Tagliabue pushed Herm on us as part of his diversity initiative. Herm was never even a coordinator before getting the Jets job. Herm was a soft revivalist minister type who got by on personality in lieu of any sort of substance. Other than that, just like Marrone.

Yeah, Tom, that 26th ranked Buffalo offense is so much substance.

Seems to me the appeal of Marrone is his hardassery, not his prowess at orchestrating an offense.

If we're gonna hire someone just because they're a dick, I'd prefer if they didn't come with another dose of Paul Hackett's magical bag of tricks.

The way they're going about the hire. Didn't mean to diss your new man-crush. Darrell Bevell must have sad. 

But the process has been totally different.  After the 1994 season the Eagles FIRED Kotite (he didn't opt out).  When Hess heard he was fired (his daughter was watching the news on tv while the family was on vacation) he called the Jets President, Steve Gutman, and asked for Kotite's phone number.  He then called  Kotite and asked if were interested in coaching the Jets, Kotite said he was.  At that point Hess offered to cut his vacation short but Kotite said no need, he would wait for Hess to return to meet with him.  When Hess got back to New York from vacation he immediately fired Carroll and hired Kotite.  There were no other candidates, and Carroll was fired when Kotite became available.

This time around, Woody fires both the GM and HC before Marrone is available, and is conducting a thorough search with consultants. THERE IS NO COMPARISON BETWEEN THE TWO SITUATIONS.  IT'S BEYOND IDIOTIC, HOWEVER AN IGNORANT SPORTS FAN IS LUPICA & MEHTA'S BEST CUSTOMERS!  THEY ACTUALLY BELIEVE THIS NONSENSE!

i know better than most how the situation went down......Kotiites wife couldn't keep her mouth shut about the situation and was running around telling her kids 17 year old friends that her husband was getting the Jets job before it was ever in the newspapers......as a matter of fact, the entire neighborhood got Jets gear from them as soon as he was hired

This all comes down to an owner (once again) making an impulse hire and not going thru the proper channels that every other team uses......Leon Hess hired Kotite......Woody will be the one presumably hiring Marrone.  The next time Woody hires a Gm and lets him hire the coach without any carryover from the previous regime will be the first time.  The owner interference is exactly the same

And did so when John FOx and Marv Lewis were going to become available. Hiring Hermand Edwards could have been the single dumbest thing Johnson did among his legion of stupidity.

Marrone may not be a great choice as per whiny Daily News writers, but he has turned around the places he's been. Best I can tell, Marrone must've told Manish to go f___ himself in a Syracuse parking lot disagreement and Lupica simply hates what ever the Jets do. Not like he's going to a game or FLorham Park anyway.

Seriously?

Kotite's records trended downward. Marrone's trend upwards.

Kotite left his 2 teams in worse condition. Marrone left his two in better position.

Hess didn't interview anyone else when he hired Kotite. Woody, obviously is

Other than that yeah this is just like Kotite.

The story is trying to set a parallel between Woody and Leon and that they were both desperate for an upward trend - so they reached. Lupica is calling Marrone a reach basically, and I agree.

Yeah, Tom, that 26th ranked Buffalo offense is so much substance.

Seems to me the appeal of Marrone is his hardassery, not his prowess at orchestrating an offense.

If we're gonna hire someone just because they're a dick, I'd prefer if they didn't come with another dose of Paul Hackett's magical bag of tricks.

We don't know if he's the hIre yet. That was the media taking a Schefter tidbit and losing their collective minds about it. That said, there's not some amazing Bill Parcells-like candidate out there, so we have to rely on Wolf and Casserly to pick from the lot. If they decide on Marrone, that's good enough for me. If it's Quinn, I'm fine with that too. I'm just happy that this isn't Woody and Neil Glat sitting around having steak tartare, monitoring Twitter to see who they should hire.

i know better than most how the situation went down......Kotiites wife couldn't keep her mouth shut about the situation and was running around telling her kids 17 year old friends that her husband was getting the Jets job before it was ever in the newspapers......as a matter of fact, the entire neighborhood got Jets gear from them as soon as he was hired

This all comes down to an owner (once again) making an impulse hire and not going thru the proper channels that every other team uses......Leon Hess hired Kotite......Woody will be the one presumably hiring Marrone.  The next time Woody hires a Gm and lets him hire the coach without any carryover from the previous regime will be the first time.  The owner interference is exactly the same

Casserly seems to be driving this, though.

And did so when John FOx and Marv Lewis were going to become available. Hiring Hermand Edwards could have been the single dumbest thing Johnson did among his legion of stupidity.Marrone may not be a great choice as per whiny Daily News writers, but he has turned around the places he's been. Best I can tell, Marrone must've told Manish to go f___ himself in a Syracuse parking lot disagreement and Lupica simply hates what ever the Jets do. Not like he's going to a game or FLorham Park anyway.

I like Marrone because you keep hearing the words "tough," "smart," "detail oriented," and "accountability" tied to him. We haven't had any of that around here in forever.

We don't know if he's the hIre yet. That was the media taking a Schefter tidbit and losing their collective minds about it. That said, there's not some amazing Bill Parcells-like candidate out there, so we have to rely on Wolf and Casserly to pick from the lot. If they decide on Marrone, that's good enough for me. If it's Quinn, I'm fine with that too. I'm just happy that this isn't Woody and Neil Glat sitting around having steak tartare, monitoring Twitter to see who they should hire.

+1

The commissioner, for political reasons, is pushing Marrone onto Woody?

In both cases, the Jets sought counsel from the NFL office to replace both their head coach and GM, and look to be hiring a GM who will be on board to hire the coach they want. Rather than hiring a GM to hire the coach he wants. 

Kotite had an incredibly talented roster in Philly.  Marrone had a mediocre roster at best.

I'm not a big Doug Marrone fan but I don't see how he's "worse than Kotite."

That will go over at well at the introductory press conference. "Sure it's Doug Marrone, but at least he's better than Kotite"

I like Marrone because you keep hearing the words "tough," "smart," "detail oriented," and "accountability" tied to him. We haven't had any of that around here in forever.

Talk is cheap T0mShane Marrone has won nothing and is a proven QUITTER

If he gets the job I hope I'm  wrong about him otherwise in 2 years we are right back here.

C Mart, on 02 Jan 2015 - 11:58 AM, said:

Seriously?

Kotite's records trended downward. Marrone's trend upwards.

Kotite left his 2 teams in worse condition. Marrone left his two in better position.

Hess didn't interview anyone else when he hired Kotite. Woody, obviously is

Other than that yeah this is just like  Kotite.

0-31 In SD is Kotitian

3-38 in Detroit vs the very same Doug Marones Bills was Kotitian

23-43 at home against, you got it, Marone with our QB throwing 27 picks in the first quarter is Kotitian

A guy who beat us like a drum is who

he compares to Kotite?

That is plain ridiculous.

Talk is cheap T0mShane Marrone has won nothing and is a proven QUITTER

If he gets the job I hope I'm  wrong about him otherwise in 2 years we are right back here.

Marrone exercised a contract clause sensible ownership should never have given him but as in fact agreed to by both sides. And after that clause was invoked he and his agent negotiated with the Bills for extension up until the 3 day deadline, at which time the Bills unilaterally announced on their website and on twitter that Marrone was leaving. Those facts are not what anyone would call quitting. You can think he isn't best choice but ....IS THAT YOU MANISH? 

Marrone exercised a contract clause sensible ownership should never have given him but as in fact agreed to by both sides. And after that clause was invoked he and his agent negotiated with the Bills for extension up until the 3 day deadline, at which time the Bills unilaterally announced on their website and on twitter that Marrone was leaving. Those facts are not what anyone would call quitting. You can think he isn't best choice but ....IS THAT YOU MANISH? 

I can assure you I'm not Manish. 

Mangina? how'd that work out?

Archived