Jets getting set to interview Jim Mora Jr.

T0mShane

http://ucla.scout.com/story/1499038-is-mora-to-the-nfl-a-real-possibility?s=12

Jim Mora will be in New York either today or tomorrow to interview for the open coaching job with the New York Jets, according to sources.

The Jets reached out to Mora a few days ago, and requested the details of his buyout with UCLA.

The Jets’ interest in Mora at this point, however, is more a case of the franchise doing its due diligence. In fact, we’ve heard that Mora isn’t among the top names on the Jets’ list of coaching candidates.

Sources have indicated that the leading candidate for the Jets coaching job is Doug Marrone, who just resigned from being the head coach with the Buffalo Bills.

It was never publicly reported why Marrone, who is well respected in the NFL, decided to leave Buffalo abruptly. Sources are telling us, though, that one of the reasons Marrone, who is originally from New York, might have resigned from the Bills is because he pretty much had the Jets job in mind and lined up. Marrone interviewed with the Jets on Saturday.

It’s thought that the potential hold-up in naming Marrone is that the Jets’ general manager was recently fired also, and it’s a matter of finding someone to fill the spot that is compatible with Marrone.

The San Francisco 49ers, too, have shown some interest in Mora, and they represent possibly a more realistic threat to Mora leaving UCLA. A source close to the Mora family has said Mora’s wife, Shannon, doesn’t want to move again, and wouldn’t, in fact, if her husband did happen to get an NFL job. That factor, not having his family with him, would be a big influence on whether Mora would actually take a job at this juncture and it probably makes the 49ers a more viable scenario since Mora could make the short commuter flight from Santa Clara to Los Angeles pretty easily and regularly.

However, sources are telling us that Mora’s name is also down the list of preferred candidates for the 49ers job. Interestingly, former Jets head coach Rex Ryan is rumored to be the leading candidate. We’ve also heard there could be a history with the 49ers that could make Mora being the coach there less likely.

Other names that are probably higher than Mora on the lists of both the 49ers and the Jets are Todd Bowles, the defensive coordinator with the Arizona Cardinals, and Dan Quinn, the Seattle Seahawks defensive coordinator.

The question from a UCLA standpoint: Is Mora merely listening to NFL overtures, perhaps to further leverage UCLA, or would Mora actually leave if an NFL team offered him the head coaching job?

We’ve heard from an array of sources close to the situation, and the majority feel Mora is just going through the paces and that he wouldn’t mind if it helped him leverage more support out of UCLA.

Mora has told some people close to him that one reason he didn’t want to return to the NFL in the near future is that he wouldn’t have control over personnel like he does in college. Usually the general manager of an NFL team is in charge of personnel decisions, and there are only a handful of NFL coaches that wield personnel decision-making power within the franchise. Mora, apparently, isn’t quite hot enough from what he’s done at UCLA to warrant that kind of clout.

Besides the Jets and 49ers, there are three other open NFL head coaching positions – the Atlanta Falcons, Chicago Bears, and Oakland Raiders. It is an impossibility that the Falcons would hire Mora, given the history, and we’ve heard it’s unlikely that there would interest from either side of the equation in regard to the Bears’ or the Raiders’ jobs.

So either they are scheduled to interview him, but aren't really interested in hiring him

or

they aren't scheduled to interview him, but are interested in hiring him.

Good to know.

The more interesting tidbit in the article is that Rex is the leading candidate for the Niners job??? They kill the golden goose for that buffoon? Are they nuts?

Mora and Rex have the same agent: Sexton. That's obviously wvere this dude got the story from.

I'm intrigued by guys like Mora and Kubiak...they've had a modicum of success as an NFL HC, and some people DO learn from their mistakes.  Both near .500 coaches, both with playoff HC experience.  Both probably have extensive contacts to fill out a staff.

They should get as much credence as the current flavor of the month Marrone IMO.  Can't believe we might let another Hackett in the building...sigh.

So does Kubiak I think LOL.

Anyway, just don't understand the immediate want of most for the 'hottest coordinator' with no HC experience.  All we'll be complaining about for a few years are wasted TO's, piss poor challenges and time management, and too many men on the field penalties.

Being a coordinator is NOT being a HC, and the transition is not usually smooth.

So does Kubiak I think LOL.

Anyway, just don't understand the immediate want of most for the 'hottest coordinator' with no HC experience.  All we'll be complaining about for a few years are wasted TO's, piss poor challenges and time management, and too many men on the field penalties.

Being a coordinator is NOT being a HC, and the transition is not usually smooth.

Agreed...

Kubiak would be my first choice...I would happily take Mora - Give me someone with executive experience,

Why would he fly all the way from LA to NY if he wasn't a serious candidate?  

Pulling this guy out of the hat now indicates to me that they are not happy so far with their interviews.  I heard the leader was Quinn but no way they wait til February for him.  If you are a Quinn guy, pray the Seahawks lose.  Fat chance.

I'm intrigued by guys like Mora and Kubiak...they've had a modicum of success as an NFL HC, and some people DO learn from their mistakes.  Both near .500 coaches, both with playoff HC experience.  Both probably have extensive contacts to fill out a staff.

They should get as much credence as the current flavor of the month Marrone IMO.  Can't believe we might let another Hackett in the building...sigh.

Gee whiz---Pete Carroll is on his third go-round.  He seems to have learned from his mistakes

I can understand the posters mentioning HC experience and "maybe he learned" but I ain't buying it with mora jr.

Thin skinned doesnt work in NY and he's as thin skinned as they come. IMO, he's a whiny little bitch.

I want no part of mora jr. If he's hired I would be shocked....SHOCKED....out of the league for x amount of years and your gonna suddenly throw him to the wolves in NY?? He would be a disaster.

Are you people posting these coaching rumors for the hell of it ?? Just to make us look bad?

Since we're getting funny nobody can beat this one:

Joe Walton HC

Rich Kotite OC

Paul Hackett QB

Mangini DC

Herm DB

Everyone wanted the number 1 pick in the draft this year, well have the staff above and you definitely get it next year. Mangini and Herm make it interesting on D to keep us in some games, but the coaching on O gaurentees 0-16 by scoring an average of 10 points or less a game and most FGs in the NFL resulting in the 1st pick in the draft. Probably a good strategy in a year when the number 1 pick is a QB touted to be the caliber of a Luck.

I can understand the posters mentioning HC experience and "maybe he learned" but I ain't buying it with mora jr.

Thin skinned doesnt work in NY and he's as thin skinned as they come. IMO, he's a whiny little bitch.

I want no part of mora jr. If he's hired I would be shocked....SHOCKED....out of the league for x amount of years and your gonna suddenly throw him to the wolves in NY?? He would be a disaster.

Are you people posting these coaching rumors for the hell of it ?? Just to make us look bad?

I'd definitely interview him...ask him to look at himself and ask him why he was fired previously.  Kick the tires, see what's there.  He's been out of the NFL for what, 6 yrs?  In that time he totally turned around a moribund UCLA team.  Maybe he's learned from his mistakes?

Pete Carroll was out of the NFL for like 10 years at USC and came back.  His record was around .500 previously in the NFL before he left for USC.

Listen, I'm not saying Mora is an absolute hire...but that the Jets should be exhaustive in their search, think out of the box, and leave no stone unturned.  And, I DO have some issues with hiring the 'next greatest flavor Coordinator' without HC experience, unless he is head and shoulders above the rest without looking at everyone else.

Doug Marrone does absolutely nothing for me...except as opposed to Quinn and Bowles and the rest he has some HC experience.  His record is sub .500 too, has only been in the league for 2 yrs and he's already bolted from one organization (I am not condemning this decision, with the ownership change etc. I might have done the same thing...it's just an observation).  He's attached at the hip to a Hackett, and his shining aspect of his team last year, his DC, is still under contract in Buffalo.  Color me unimpressed at this point.

Just want a thorough vetting done is all...and interviewing people like Mora shouldn't make fans go apoplectic..you could do a lot worse.

Because Jets consultant Charley Casserly apparently cannot use the internet, the Jets reached out to UCLA head coach Jim Mora Jr. to express interest in interviewing Mora for their head coach opening. But contrary to an internet report, there is no interview planned.

Casserly, along with fellow former NFL executive Ron Wolf, is assisting Jets owner Woody Johnson in the search for the Jets' head coach and general manager. Casserly began contacting prospective coaches and GMsbefore Rex Ryan and John Idzik were fired on Dec. 29. NJ Advance Media reported that Ryan had learned of this on Dec. 26 and began clearing out his office that night, two days before the Jets' final game.

Jay Glazer of Fox Sports later reported that Ryan found that out because someone from the Jets had called Ryan's agent to inquire about other coaches. And the New York Daily News eventually found out the person who made that call was Casserly, and that Casserly was looking for details on Mora's buyout at UCLA, never mind that such information can be found by doing this.

Whatever became of any interest the Jets had in Mora, it never reached the point in which the two sides agreed to sit down for an interview. Which means a report—I'm not linking to it—that Mora "will be in New York either today or tomorrow to interview" isn't true.

Mora has coached in the NFL before. He went 26-22 in three seasons with the Falcons from 2004-06, including a trip to the NFC title game in '04. He then went 5-11 in one season with the Seahawks in 2009. After working in broadcasting, Mora took over at UCLA, where he's gone 29-11 with a pair of bowl wins in three seasons.

For a complete list of the Jets' confirmed head coach and GM candidates, click here.

Archived