Marvez: Dan Quinn will be next Jets head coach

Jetfan13

I know i'm overreacting ...  It's just I was really hoping the organization would go in the experienced and/or offense direction.

This seems like this is it - and I'm just not happy.  

Quinn may very well turn out to be great (I know little about him) and I guess we're gonna find out.

here are your "experienced" coaching candidates who were HC's at one time:

Shanahan, Cable, Marone, Kubiak (said he's cool being a coordinator, doesn't want to HC again right now), Del Rio, Mike Smith, Rex, Jim Mora Jr, Mike Munchak, and Josh McDaniels. 

The very definition of meh. 

• Replies 364
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm tired of first time HC's 

There are not many veteran coaches available, and most experienced coaches are not going to want to deal with Woody and the NY media. The only one right now as a viable option is Marrone and his win loss record is very mediocre. 

Is it better to take a risk on a new coach or take the Safer route, and hire a coach who has a very mediocre record? 

here are your "experienced" coaching candidates who were HC's at one time:

Shanahan, Cable, Marone, Kubiak (said he's cool being a coordinator, doesn't want to HC again right now), Del Rio, Mike Smith, Rex, Jim Mora Jr, Mike Munchak, and Josh McDaniels. 

The very definition of meh. 

Agreed...Meh...But I would rather bring in a Kubiak, Shanahan and yes Marone than another first time HC...

Let alone another DC..

I was just hoping to bring an "executive" that can manage a staff and players - that has a strong focus on offense.

I'll get behind this guy and support and hope for the best.

The Packers can beat New England. In a Brady/Rodgers shootout, I'll take Rodgers every time.

Go Panthers!

With our luck, Rogers goes down with the calf in the first quarter and Matt Flynn's pass attempt on game winning TD falls just short with no time left on the clock despite a blatant hold in the end zone by Revis, which of course goes uncalled.  

Now I'm torn.  If the Jets have identified who they like and it is Quinn, then I want the Seahawks to lose this week and get the show on the road.   On the other hand, I am afraid that the Seahawks may be the only thing standing between the Pats and a SB win, so i want them to advance.

On the other, other hand can we please hire a GM first?????  Quinn has done nothing that warrants total control with a puppet GM.

Don't sweat it.  The Ravens have the Pats number.

There are not many veteran coaches available, and most experienced coaches are not going to want to deal with Woody and the NY media. The only one right now as a viable option is Marrone and his win loss record is very mediocre. 

Is it better to take a risk on a new coach or take the Safer route, and hire a coach who has a very mediocre record

I'm not sure calling him a mediocre coach is fair.  He took over a terrible team and turned into a winning team (without a QB)...He also turned a terrible Syracuse program into a competitive one....

He's capable of winning...

Great... Another dc with no hc expiriance. 4 in a row... But this time.... Itll be differant... Lol

Oh well...

Yeah, and the last time we paired up one of those first time defensive coaches with an up and coming OC that descended from coaching royalty we ended up with Schotty.  Groundhog day, UGH 

Agreed...Meh...But I would rather bring in a Kubiak, Shanahan and yes Marone than another first time HC...

Shanahan would not want to deal with all the BS that the NY media brings. Marrone is a mediocre coach. We have been doing mediocre for over 40 years. 

I would keep taking the risks until something works. 

I'm not sure calling him a mediocre coach is fair.  He took over a terrible team and turned into a winning team (without a QB)...He also turned a terrible Syracuse program into a competitive one....

He's capable of winning...

25-25 at Syracuse is Mediocre.  15-17 at Buffalo is Mediocre, no excuses you are what your record says you are. 

Let alone another DC..

I was just hoping to bring an "executive" that can manage a staff and players - that has a strong focus on offense.

I'll get behind this guy and support and hope for the best.

I was also hoping for an experienced head coach, maybe someone from the college ranks if not the pros. When you look at those names, none of them pop out. At least, not positively. 

He's capable of whining...

Hmm he would fit in well with Jet fans then.. :winking0001:

Mike Shanahan career - that's a pretty good winning percentage...

177–143–0 (.553)

You really think he wants to deal with the NY media and a fan base that takes out billboards to get guys fired? Shanahan has been around too long to put up with all that extra BS.

Eh, I don't know about this, right now.  Assuming these reports are true:

1)  I think we all agree that Rex is a great defensive mind, so even the best case scenario for Quinn is that he matches what Rex was able to do with the defense, especially given the lack of talent these latter years.  So in trading Quinn for Rex, our best case scenario is to break even.   Seattle has a much more talented team, especially in the back end and LB crew, which helps them to contain offenses.   

2)  We don't know much about what Quinn would be able to do offensively, so that part hinges on hiring an offensive coordinator that really has no tangible connection to Seattle or Quinn.  Therefore, why couldn't we just fire MM, and hire a different OC?  The defense hasn't been the main problem here, if we have even a remotely decent offense, then we would've been much better.  

3)  Why does Quinn get the amazing coordinator title, when Gus Bradley led the same defense before, and he's turned out to be an OK coach, but nothing great?  It wasn't like Quinn tweaked the whole system and turned it upside down.  He seems to have just continued on with the same system.  We also hear that Pete Carrol is the CB whisperer, and how he can develop CBs out of paper bags, and thus form the biggest advantage that Seattle has, yet Quinn gets the credit now that people are looking into him?   

I'm not against the move, really.  I just don't find it as a slam dunk that I was hoping for.  I wanted an offensive guy (Helfrich, Malzhan) that could actually transform the offense because right now the league is geared towards the offense much moreso than the defense.   The hiring would be justified, because this is a guy that has shown good results in the past, and the OC most likely will be good as well, but it doesn't stray too much from the status quo enough for me to love it.  The move from Rex to Quinn is lateral for me, so the whole issues comes down to MM to Shannahan.  

I would've preferred if we went more offensive minded.  The catch being we don't quite know what the offensive limit of Quinn is, or how much of a talent he has, but is hidden by the system in Seattle.   

32-52 without John Elway

But I thought you are what your record says and no excuses?. You can't say sorry it doesn't matter you didn't have a good QB - should have won anyway...

Then turn around and say - well, you were only good because you had a good QB.

Mike Shanahan career - that's a pretty good winning percentage...

177–143–0 (.553)

In the seven seasons since the last time he made the playoffs in Denver, his record is 48-64, for a .428 winning percentage. Two winning seasons in those seven years. Not the guy I'd be looking to bring in. At all. 

You really think he wants to deal with the NY media and a fan base that takes out billboards to get guys fired? Shanahan has been around too long to put up with all that extra BS.

No, I didn't think he was coming here...

Just want to point out that the you are what your record says argument is silly...

Of course there are circumstances you have to consider.  You can't just blindly look at a record and make a determination about a coach.

But I thought you are what your record says and no excuses?. You can't say sorry it doesn't matter you didn't have a good QB - should have won anyway...

Then turn around and say - well, you were only good because you had a good QB.

Joe Gibbs would like to have a word with you. 

The guy who built the Seahawks D in tandem with Pete Carrol is now the Jags HC (Gus Bradley).  What makes anyone think the next Seattle D Coordinator will be any different???

The fans will like the hire - so Woody's going to make the move the fans most want.  

The guy who built the Seahawks D in tandem with Pete Carrol is now the Jags HC (Gus Bradley).  What makes anyone think the next Seattle D Coordinator will be any different???

He's an entirely different human being with different thoughts, feelings, opinions and a different brain. How could he not be different? You take a chance on a person, it's not based exactly on the team he comes from. Just because Pete Carroll and Schneider do things one way doesn't mean Quinn will do them the same. He won't do them like Gus Bradley either, he's an individual.

The catch being we don't quite know what the offensive limit of Quinn is, or how much of a talent he has, but is hidden by the system in Seattle.   

Quinn brings in a winning culture with him, which is something that has been missing here since 1970.

Archived