Rex gets 2nd Bills interview

slowmoe57

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Rex Ryan gets 2nd Bills interview
Updated: January 10, 2015, 6:19 PM ET
By Mike Rodak | ESPN.com

The Buffalo Bills are conducting a second interview Saturday night in Florida with former New York Jets coach Rex Ryan, league sources told ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter.

[+] Enlargeny_rex_js_300x200.jpg
Jeff Skopin/ESPNThe Bills are interviewing former Jets coach Rex Ryan for a second time Saturday.

Ryan's first interview with the Bills was Thursday. He is the first known candidate that the team has brought back for a second interview.

The Bills already have interviewed 12 candidates for their head-coaching vacancy, which opened last week when Doug Marrone opted out of his contract. Buffalo has also requested initial interviews with two other candidates -- New England Patriots offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels andIndianapolis Colts offensive coordinator Pep Hamilton -- who have yet to meet with the team.

Ryan, 52, also has interviewed with the Atlanta Falcons. He also was scheduled to meet with executives this week at CBS about a possible broadcasting job, according to a report from the New York Daily News.

Ryan was fired last month after six seasons with the Jets. He finished with a 46-50 record.

I hope not. Don't want to have Rex in the division. Him and trestman could make that team a division winner next season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rex in the division automatically improves our 2-minute drill, also means we will only have 1 QB to worry about for the next however many years.

Plenty of high-maintenance players on that team. Rex and Trestman will eventually lose control.

A lot of them are on defense though, they'll love Rex.  His tenure is gonna be hitched to how well Trestman could turn around that offense. Smart move by Rex if he's offered it, he's guaranteed an easy few years considering his QB just retired and he's left with Manuel. Will certainly making those Bills games more exciting I suppose. 

A lot of them are on defense though, they'll love Rex.  His tenure is gonna be hitched to how well Trestman could turn around that offense. Smart move by Rex if he's offered it, he's guaranteed an easy few years considering his QB just retired and he's left with Manuel. Will certainly making those Bills games more exciting I suppose.

Manuel and Watkins are supposed to be true divas, too. They're going to lose Spiller, and Fred Jackson is 45 years old.

Manuel and Watkins are supposed to be true divas, too. They're going to lose Spiller, and Fred Jackson is 45 years old.

Not surprised by the Watkins claim, kind of hilarious Manuel has the balls to even speak.  I could see them kicking the tires on a Locker (Rex loves guys who beat him) or some other retread that could just not turn the ball over and do that type of thing all over again.  You're right though, Bills had no plan when Marrone left.

He should play well with the dopey blue collars up there.  Pry Schwartz away to run the Quinn D?

First thing I thought of too. He even gets them into the playoffs just once during his tenure, I can see him becoming a God in upstate NY.

That's all in your head. I think Rex will do well in his next HC job. We shall see, this looks like it may happen.

Nah, he'll fail there big time. Bad QB, shaky GM, weird owners, and a roster that's in flux with no first rounder this year. He wasn't even in their first round of interviews, and (like Atlanta) his hiring is being driven by the owner.

PFT:

At one point, it looked like the former Bills coach would become the new Jets coach. Now, the former Jets coach may become the Bills coach.

According to Adam Schefter of ESPN, Rex Ryan will interview on Saturday night for a second time with the Bills. The interview will occur in Florida.

As PFT recently reported, the Bills fear that Ryan is leery of coaching the Bills, given the quarterback situation and the absence of a 2015 first-round pick that could be devoted to fixing it. It’s believed Rex wants the Falcons job; interviewing with the Bills could be the way to get owner Arthur Blank to make a decision.

It’s unclear who Blank wants. Some think he wants Ryan. Some think Blank wants Seahawks defensive coordinator Dan Quinn. Some think Blank doesn’t know who he wants.

Surely complicating matters for Blank is the recent passing of his mother, who died Wednesday at the age of 99. Blank’s father died when Blank was only 15; via the Atlanta Journal-Constitution, Blank has often credited his mother for instilling the entrepreneurial spirit in her son, who co-founded The Home Depot before buying the Falcons.

The personal loss undoubtedly makes the process even more difficult for Blank, to whom we extend our condolences.

Nah, he'll fail there big time. Bad QB, shaky GM, weird owners, and a roster that's in flux with no first rounder this year. He wasn't even in their first round of interviews, and (like Atlanta) his hiring is being driven by the owner.

he went to 2 championship games with Sanchez at QB. Woody is the worst owner in the league so ownership is an improvement. A pile of garbage is better than Idz as GM plus he won't be sabatoged. He'll do well I have no doubts.

he went to 2 championship games with Sanchez at QB. Woody is the worst owner in the league so ownership is an improvement. A pile of garbage is better than Idz as GM plus he won't be sabatoged. He'll do well I have no doubts.

Rex will drive the final nail into Manuel's coffin, the GM will be fired as a result, and they'll go into 2016 in exactly the same shape that the 2012 ended their season.

Rex will drive the final nail into Manuel's coffin, the GM will be fired as a result, and they'll go into 2016 in exactly the same shape that the 2012 ended their season.

We've come some distance from Rex will never get another head coaching job.

We've come some distance from Rex will never get another head coaching job.

1. He hasn't been hired by anyone yet.

2. I believe I've consistently included the caveat that it'd take an owner trumping his GM, which was clearly the case in Atlanta and certainly seems to be the case with Buffalo.

Archived