Chan Gailey to be OC (per SNY) (MERGED)

David Harris

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Even if Westhoff is right, an old veteran is preferable to some young QB coach.  That being said we'll all be complaining about him when Fitzpatrick/Geno/rookie struggles to put points on the board.  lol

Yes, nothing like a decent QB to make an OC look like a genius.  I actually like Marty Morny - thought he was trying to make lemonade out of a bunch of crap.

Yes, nothing like a decent QB to make an OC look like a genius.  I actually like Marty Morny - thought he was trying to make lemonade out of a bunch of crap.

Yeah I didn't have as much of a problem as others here had.  He needed a speedback but you can't ask for Chris Johnson to suddenly regain his old Madden speed.  He needed an accurate QB for the WCO but you can't fix Geno.  At some point you stop blaming the OC so heavily and point the finger mostly at poor player evaluation starting at the top of the organization.

Chan Gailey did pretty well in Buffalo on offense with a lot of castoffs.  The team was 13th, 16th and 20th in offensive efficiency in the years he was there, though I think they would have done better with him as OC rather than HC.  And as has been mentioned, Spiller was at his best under Gailey.  And I like that he prefers zone-blocking too.

Hopefully with $50M in cap space, the # 6 pick, and a brand new front office, we'll be able to finally give the OC some real talent to work with.

I lol'd.

Gailey's a very quality hire, and also down to pair Spiller with Ivory.

I like what's happening. With a young roster and money to play with, these guys can hit the ground running. I am going to enjoy Geno's breakout season.

Yes you can watch Geno's breakout season in the Arena League. 

I think the key thing with Gailey, after reading a bunch, is that he's the type of OC that has a proven history of finding offense where there isn't any. What I mean is, unlike the past 6 years where there has been constant outcry for "weaponz" to solve the offensive woes, Gailey can manufacture offense with what he has. This is the polar opposite of what we've experienced here in about a decade, because Schotty never did it with Mangini or Rex, you never saw it from Sporano, or Morninwheg. I am optimistic, because we've got some actual weapons finally, and it doesn't mean that we're going to be completely reliant upon finding a top 10 QB next year in order to compete. 

When was he an OC? He came from HC in NCAA. Think it was Georgia. To HC in Dallas, to HC for the Bills. has been out of football for 2 years

If you don't count the stints in Denver, Pittsburgh, Miami, and Kansas City, he has never been an OC.

PS: it was Georgia Tech.

I still want Harvin back. Not at 10.5 mill tho.

I think the key thing with Gailey, after reading a bunch, is that he's the type of OC that has a proven history of finding offense where there isn't any. What I mean is, unlike the past 6 years where there has been constant outcry for "weaponz" to solve the offensive woes, Gailey can manufacture offense with what he has. This is the polar opposite of what we've experienced here in about a decade, because Schotty never did it with Mangini or Rex, you never saw it from Sporano, or Morninwheg. I am optimistic, because we've got some actual weapons finally, and it doesn't mean that we're going to be completely reliant upon finding a top 10 QB next year in order to compete. 

Scary thought:  Decker-Harvin-Kerley would be by far the best WR trio Chan Gailey has ever worked with.  

2nd best would be when he was OC of the 2001 Dolphins, with Chris Chambers, James McKnight and Oronde Gadsen.  Honorable mention goes to the '86 Broncos, with a young Mark Jackson, Gerald Willhite and Steve Watson.

Thanks Idzik.

Wasn't Amaro virtually unstoppable in a spread offense at Texas Tech?  Also that's Geno's background too.  Maybe Gailey isn't as bad an idea as I originally thought.  The key I guess is how to make something like this work at the NFL level.  Not easy.  Guys are too fast...

Wasn't Amaro virtually unstoppable in a spread offense at Texas Tech? Also that's Geno's background too. Maybe Gailey isn't as bad an idea as I originally thought. The key I guess is how to make something like this work at the NFL level. Not easy. Guys are too fast...

CJ Spiller would be an amazing addition. That's the CJ that would really make an impact with Ivory.

And possibly the addition of Amari Cooper.

Scary thought: Decker-Harvin-Kerley would be by far the best WR trio Chan Gailey has ever worked with.

2nd best would be when he was OC of the 2001 Dolphins, with Chris Chambers, James McKnight and Oronde Gadsen. Honorable mention goes to the '86 Broncos, with a young Mark Jackson, Gerald Willhite and Steve Watson.

Thanks Idzik.

I think Amari Cooper would fit this offense too.  From the article posted before, Gailey apparently loves receivers that can both play the slot or out wide, and Cooper fits that very well.

However, the downside?  I believe Gailey was there when they signed Brad Smith to run the wildcat, so that nightmare may not be over with quite so fast.  

That'd be nuts. I'd hate to sign Harvin to a big extension THEN take Cooper, but I guess there are worse things than having "Too many WR's".

Honestly, since Cooper will come cheap, I'm all for having Cooper, Decker, Harvin, Kerley, and Amaro. I could he wrong, but I believe Texas Tech ran the spread offense, which should benefit Amaro.

Baylor’s offense stretches the field vertically, but what makes the Bears especially tough to defend is the fact that coach Art Briles stretches the field horizontally more than anyone else in the country. Baylor can throw to speedy receivers on the outside, or, with the middle of the field open because the defense is spread so thin, slam an opponent with a physical line

Wish list:

CJ Spiller

Amari Cooper

Bryce Petty

Mike Iupati

I just got a thrill up my leg.

If people are calling for a spread offense thinking Geno can handle it in the pro's I think thats wishful thinking.

bottom line is if this is the Jets thinking your going to see some very early picks building up our offensive line or even via FA since we have the cash. We still need a big number one type WR .

if Geno is not in the plans then maybe the Jets trade to get Mariota.

Initially I didn't like the Gailey hiring because I remember him from his HC days in BUF.  But

after reading the breakdown article earlier in the thread (great find) I can see why Bowles

hired him.  It shows Bowles has studied our personnel and has a vision for our offense.

Gailey's system sounds like what Smith is used to at W. Va and I definitely think we'll

be looking at Bryce Petty in the draft

I think this is the best option to get the offense going on the right path. Seems like an overall competent, focused coach who is going to bring a professional approach into the lockerroom. I doubt he's the long term solution though, I could be wrong but I'm thinking both sides know this may be a couple years gig most for Gailey.

What is the connection? with Bowles and Gailey

I do like the following quote from rotoworld;  

"If the Jets choose to keep Percy Harvin at his $10.5 million salary, it could mean big things for him. Gailey likes to spread his offense out and run fast. He was Chip Kelly before Chip Kelly was a thing. We like the hire for the Jets."

Archived