Geno could be our guy

prime21

My Last comment about the Geno Smith problem most fans have. It has been believed by some that Mark Sanchez was one of the better QBs the Jets have had in the last 10 yrs.  Someone even went as far as making a thread about what should be done if we had a chance to replace Geno Smith with mark Sanchez.

Rookie season :

Mark Sanchez :  12 TDs, 20ints and  53.8 completion percentage.

Geno Smith    :   12 TDs, 21ints and  55.8  completion percentage.

Sophomore Season :

Mark Sanchez :   17 TDs, 13ints and 54.8 completion percentage . 

Geno Smith     :    13TDs, 13ints and 59.7 completion percentage. 

One of these guys had the benefit of excellent talent on offense  and defense.

One of these guys played in a pro set offense at the college level .

I don't understand the Hate for Geno smith on this board at all, but IMO, I see a kid learning on the fly and improving.

This is Bret Farve last yr with the Jets:

22TDs, 22ints and 65.7 completion percentage.

Every QB throws Ints, so why does a kid who had no business being under center for an NFL franchise get hated this much ?

You're forgetting in year 2 Sanchez was the beneficiary of like 15-20 dropped picks (not talking about dropped acrobatic circus catches either). Every QB gets a few (or even a handful) of these mulligans over a season. Sanchez got that plus an extra baker's dozen in 2010. Add to that the vastly better OL to buy more time. Ferguson was a top 3-5 pass blocking LT back then (he's been nowhere near that in years), Slauson >> Winters, Mangold = Mangold, Moore >>> Colon, Woody >>> Giacomini. So his stats look better (his TD:INT ratio, anyway) but a defender dropping a sure interception doesn't make a pass any less awful from a qualitative/development standpoint.

If he's starting for us in 2015 I'm expecting nothing, other than more failure, but on paper Smith wasn't completely hideous after coming back from his benching. Wipe out the first Miami game, really, since it was Ryan's obvious spite-fest in more or less disallowing a forward pass attempt until the Jets' final possession. Despite all his prior bad play and blown games, I actually felt sorry for Smith that one time, being used as a pawn in a juvenile get-even-with-Idzik gameplan. Even though he went 10 of 12 without a turnover I wouldn't really count the Buffalo game before that either, since the Bills weren't exactly throwing the kitchen sink against him at that stage with a late 4-TD lead.

The rest of them Smith had passer ratings of

Minnesota 87.4 (#7 pass D)

Tennessee 88.2 (#15 pass D)

New England 83.9 (#17 pass D)

Miami 158.3 (#6 pass D)

64% completion percentage over these games as well.

No, it's not exactly the stuff of legends, and odds are he'd be terrible yet again in 2015. But he's not being compared to the stuff of legends (unless one considers the buttfumble legendary). Sanchez was well into his 3rd NFL season before he equalled the meh feat of 4 consecutive 80+ passer ratings.

All the same, it's a bit like arguing whether one would rather eat a doody hero or drink a diarrhea smoothie, I admit.  There isn't a viable option at QB that the 2015 Jets should be passing up on. If both QBs are gone at #6, or if Maccagnan feels he's better off with a sure thing at #6 and wants to take a QB in rounds 2-4, fine. If he's there and the Eagles call up, offering Foles and a lot more, even better. But it's entirely possible Smith might be a noticeably better QB with another year under his belt and better coaching and gameplanning, and a better system for him as well. 

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh, and I wouldn't read into Maccagnan's comments yet.

Pretend you're the GM of the Jets and want to trade down from #6 so you can acquire a pair of #1 picks instead (or more). The thing you'd want to do is tell those potential trade partners, "Don't trade up ahead of us. You can get the same QB at #6 instead, and the trade-up will cost you less. Make a deal with us not them."

The only way this sells is if you can do a convincing job of saying you're not opposed to giving Geno a year in this offense before you permanently cast him aside. Will they believe you? Probably not. But they're clearly not going to wait for him to slip to #6 to trade up if the Jets announce they want a new, young QB to replace Geno asap and the thought of landing that Mariota kid gives me a chub.  

His ideal is to get handshake deals with Cleveland or Philadelphia now, in case Mariota is there at #6. The better deal likely occurs if they call him rather than the other way around. One way of getting that ball rolling would be to leak we aren't in QB-or-bust mode, because we want to see Geno in Gailey's offense, and we don't really love Mariota over all other QBs enough to pass up on #6 overall talent at another position.

Either that or he's a fool lol.

No one seems to be taking into account how destructive Rex was to QBs. Even in TC ALL he would do is blitz every play never allowing the offense to develop ant timing oR chemistry.just one of many crippling things he did

yes if only the Jets had a better coach, Sanchez and geno would be amazing. 

Apparently every single bust QB prospect would have been a stud if only they had Chip Kelly.

Its so cute to see all the Rex lovers still hanging on, its not his fault..... its never his fault...... I miss Rex........ We will never be able to play defense ever again without Rex..... Back to back AFCCG's......... blah, blah, blah, blah, blah.......

Its so cute to see all the Rex lovers still hanging on, its not his fault..... its never his fault...... I miss Rex........ We will never be able to play defense ever again without Rex..... Back to back AFCCG's......... blah, blah, blah, blah, blah.......

Yes, these are all things I believe and repeat all the time. What else have you got?

Geno will probably get his chance to win the top spot but no way will the new admin. want to hang their hats on Idzik's guy. My guess is that they bring in a couple of vets, maybe draft a QB if one falls on their lap at #6. Mallett in a possibility...

Not sure if this has anything to do with egos (Geno is their guys, not ours...) as it has to do with the question, is their anyone out there who is better? Even if we land Mariota, hanging your hat on a rookie QB is always a huge gamble.

Geno has shown flashes that he could be a solid starter, but he is just wildly inconsistent and when he's off, he's way off. I think King Tut-er - Chan Gaily may help him be more consistent...

You're forgetting in year 2 Sanchez was the beneficiary of like 15-20 dropped picks (not talking about dropped acrobatic circus catches either). Every QB gets a few (or even a handful) of these mulligans over a season. Sanchez got that plus an extra baker's dozen in 2010. Add to that the vastly better OL to buy more time. Ferguson was a top 3-5 pass blocking LT back then (he's been nowhere near that in years), Slauson >> Winters, Mangold = Mangold, Moore >>> Colon, Woody >>> Giacomini. So his stats look better (his TD:INT ratio, anyway) but a defender dropping a sure interception doesn't make a pass any less awful from a qualitative/development standpoint.

If he's starting for us in 2015 I'm expecting nothing, other than more failure, but on paper Smith wasn't completely hideous after coming back from his benching. Wipe out the first Miami game, really, since it was Ryan's obvious spite-fest in more or less disallowing a forward pass attempt until the Jets' final possession. Despite all his prior bad play and blown games, I actually felt sorry for Smith that one time, being used as a pawn in a juvenile get-even-with-Idzik gameplan. Even though he went 10 of 12 without a turnover I wouldn't really count the Buffalo game before that either, since the Bills weren't exactly throwing the kitchen sink against him at that stage with a late 4-TD lead.

The rest of them Smith had passer ratings of

Minnesota 87.4 (#7 pass D)

Tennessee 88.2 (#15 pass D)

New England 83.9 (#17 pass D)

Miami 158.3 (#6 pass D)

64% completion percentage over these games as well.

No, it's not exactly the stuff of legends, and odds are he'd be terrible yet again in 2015. But he's not being compared to the stuff of legends (unless one considers the buttfumble legendary). Sanchez was well into his 3rd NFL season before he equalled the meh feat of 4 consecutive 80+ passer ratings.

All the same, it's a bit like arguing whether one would rather eat a doody hero or drink a diarrhea smoothie, I admit.  There isn't a viable option at QB that the 2015 Jets should be passing up on. If both QBs are gone at #6, or if Maccagnan feels he's better off with a sure thing at #6 and wants to take a QB in rounds 2-4, fine. If he's there and the Eagles call up, offering Foles and a lot more, even better. But it's entirely possible Smith might be a noticeably better QB with another year under his belt and better coaching and gameplanning, and a better system for him as well. 

Nailed it.  If Geno is our guy in 2015, I'm not expecting anything....like, at all...but given the options, I'd be ok with signing a vet like Fitzpatrick, drafting a sure thing like Kevin White/Devante Parker, and rolling into camp with a competition.  As I study Mariota more, the more the thought process in my head becomes: "How different is he compared to Geno as a prospect?"...and that starts to worry me.  I'll trust the guys in charge to make that assessment, but I'll be real upset if we pass on some of these blue chip wideouts and draft a spread option QB with gaudy numbers and a low turnover rate and he ends up faring no better than Geno Smith 3 years down the road the only big difference being one was taken with the 6th overall pick. 

The only scenario I'm starting to be completely comfortable with (other than staying put at 6) as this process goes on, is trading with the Eagles and landing Foles + a boatload of picks in the process. 

I've seen enough of Geno to know he is not the answer.  While he has the physical tools, his intangibles and ability to read and diagnose a defense are just awful.

I'd rather have Ryan Fitzpatrick than Geno, which isn't saying much but at least Fitzpatrick has somewhat of a track record with Gailey.

Geno is a lifetime backup.  Nothing more.

Looking back now I see that this is the bulk of what you have to offer as a poster.

You looked back and read my posts?  Ohhhh, I am flattered! I returned the favor, and see that yours are all about defending Rex, and ranting about Sanchez's dropped int's, you offer so much more, fo sho.

If Geno is our guy, I want out.

I wouldn't go that far, because its entirely possible they draft someone, or sign a FA that sucks (thats why they likely will be a FA) that Geno beats out because he either sucks less, or they feel he has more potential. BUT, if they move forward acting as though Geno is the answer, it will be highly discouraging. There are only 2 somewhat obtainable QB's outside of the draft that would get me somewhat interested, Glennon, and Bradford. The rest are really bad, probably Geno bad. I don't think they are going to have a shot at either of the two QB's in the draft, and Mariota scares the crap out of me, and for that matter, so does Winston.

I guess what I am saying is if they cant get Bradford or Glennon, I don't see it as the end of the world if Geno ends up starting over a Ryan Fitz, or a Matt Moore, etc. BUT, if he does not significantly improve this year, its time to go all in next year for a QB, at whatever the costs, including tanking the season this year.

After two seasons Chip Kelly has the same record as Rex Ryan did with four less playoff wins.  Let's see if they implode this year before we join in bowing before his genius. I knew Chip Kelly went to Oregon from a small northeastern school, but I didn't realize that he was the OC at New Hampshire that got David Ball all those stats.  No, not DL Dave Ball, but David Ball, the watch #thetape, **** the combine, next Jerry Rice. They both were on the team in the 2005-2007 range.

You looked back and read my posts?  Ohhhh, I am flattered! I returned the favor, and see that yours are all about defending Rex, and ranting about Sanchez's dropped int's, you offer so much more, fo sho.

Well then you have some difficulty reading.

But regardless, yes we look back at past posts of many people. It seems 2/3 of your posts so far have been about our ex-coach and trolling after posters here. Other than a temporary break in that topic for deflated football discussion, it's closer to 90%.

Rex can't hurt you anymore. You're allowed to discuss other things as well.

Well then you have some difficulty reading.

But regardless, yes we look back at past posts of many people. It seems 2/3 of your posts so far have been about our ex-coach and trolling after posters here. Other than a temporary break in that topic for deflated football discussion, it's closer to 90%.

Rex can't hurt you anymore. You're allowed to discuss other things as well.

Yes, I do have difficulty reading, I won't deny that at all. Good to know I am allowed to discuss other things, was not aware of that, good lookinout. And for you, Sanchez can't hurt you anymore, oh, well, maybe in your mind he can because your hero Rex is no longer here because he failed to develop Sanchez, and Geno for that matter.

Yes, I do have difficulty reading, I won't deny that at all. Good to know I am allowed to discuss other things, was not aware of that, good lookinout. And for you, Sanchez can't hurt you anymore, oh, well, maybe in your mind he can because your hero Rex is no longer here because he failed to develop Sanchez, and Geno for that matter.

Seriously, if your time here is going to be spent targeting other Jets fans here then you can leave. You're impressing no one.

Maybe I am way off-base here, but with the 6th pick, if I am going to select a player, that player must be an impact player and start immediately!!!! The consensus appears to be about Marriota is that he will need a year of seasoning before he would legitimately be able to start an NFL football game.  Which to me means he needs a year to compete for an NFL job....That does not make any sense to me... If I want to draft a QB that may need some time, I can do that maybe in the 4th or 5th round... A Bryce Petty or a Sean Manion.  but the 6th pick in the draft must be an immediate contributor, if that means picking somone (if they do not trade down) other than a QB, then I hope that what the Jets do even if Mariota is on the board at our pick. 

I'm not the least bit surprised that the coaching staff sees Geno as the potential starter in the upcoming season.  This speaks volumes about the available replacement options, not necessarily Geno himself.  If you examine the situation objectively and analyze some realistic scenarios which could unfold in the coming months, it's hard to imagine how Geno is not in the competition for the starting job this summer.

Here's the reality.

People can throw out stats and growth and wins late all they want.  For most of us that watched him week in and week out.  We know he's terrible.  

I can't even think of one play where I said to myself "wow - this kid can be special"  Sure he made some nice throws - but did he ever make a play that made you think he could be our franchise.

Add that to all the mistakes and you have a guy that might not even be a back-up in three or four years

It's

Is that a contraction for "Interception is" and if not, what is the interception possessing? 

"Per Cimini, the "vibe close to the organization" is that new GM Mike Maccagnan isn't in "quarterback-or-bust mode." Smith finished 2014 strong and will be an intriguing match for new OC Chan Gailey's Pistol Spread offense, one similar to the system in which Geno played at West Virginia. Smith improved his completion rate, TD-to-INT ratio, and QB rating as a sophomore. His physical skills are superior to any free agent quarterback's."

My God it's such a long way til the draft. This could lead us to a trade down.

Geno is our guy? ok......the first pick 6 we will see how fast Geno is our guy.

Archived