Geno could be our guy

prime21

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Geno improved drastically after the benching. QBs in general take 3 yrs to become NFL ready n I feel Geno can be the guy here.

Then again, I'm a glass half full kinda guy.

All true, but too many want to pretend it didn't happen, not sure why, Geno is still only 23 years old, fans don't have patience to let young players develop.  They all have to be stars out of the gate.

"Per Cimini, the "vibe close to the organization" is that new GM Mike Maccagnan isn't in "quarterback-or-bust mode." Smith finished 2014 strong and will be an intriguing match for new OC Chan Gailey's Pistol Spread offense, one similar to the system in which Geno played at West Virginia. Smith improved his completion rate, TD-to-INT ratio, and QB rating as a sophomore. His physical skills are superior to any free agent quarterback's."

My God it's such a long way til the draft. This could lead us to a trade down.

I want to say that this statement could be somewhat credible given that the Rex Ryan era has been terrible in all things "quarterback". At the same time, Geno has been at the bottom 3 worst QB's in the league since he entered, not even Sanchez was that bad. At the same time Sanchez had the best of what the Jets had to offer in regards to talent in his first two years in the league, while Geno has had the worst of what the Jets had as talent in his first 2 years. 

Who the hell knows? 

I have this feeling that we will pick up an FA QB vet...then we will have a true competition between Geno and the Vet. However, from a strategic standpoint, do the Jets bluff on drafting a QB with pick 6 if Mariotta is on the board? Hell yeah. There is nothing that says we can't bring in a Vet QB and draft a QB..plus if Mariota is available at pick 6 you KNOW the Eagles will be going crazy....

However, the risk is Mariota becomes awesome and we will be remembered as the team that passed on him when we needed a franchise QB. I really liked Garopallo (sp?) as a QB last year...Pats were smart to pick him up.

If I were the Jets, I would draft Mariota (if available)...The kid looks like, with a year of seasoning, he could be amazing. Winston will be the pick to the Bucs..

LL

If somehow Mariota is there at 6 the Jets will take him, he will fit in Gailey's system.If not we need to take either White,Cooper or Fowler if available. I don't think there is an OT worth taking at 6. I would prefer White or Cooper as I don't like any of the FA WR's as it looks like Crabtree will be the best available, I would rather draft Coop or White.

If somehow Mariota is there at 6 the Jets will take him, he will fit in Gailey's system.If not we need to take either White,Cooper or Fowler if available. I don't think there is an OT worth taking at 6. I would prefer White or Cooper as I don't like any of the FA WR's as it looks like Crabtree will be the best available, I would rather draft Coop or White.

Good post...I think this is accurate.  At 6 it's the QB if he's there....after that it's a toss up between whichever WR is left and Fowler. 1 of those 4 will be a Jet.

I have this feeling that we will pick up an FA QB vet...then we will have a true competition between Geno and the Vet. However, from a strategic standpoint, do the Jets bluff on drafting a QB with pick 6 if Mariotta is on the board? Hell yeah. There is nothing that says we can't bring in a Vet QB and draft a QB..plus if Mariota is available at pick 6 you KNOW the Eagles will be going crazy....

However, the risk is Mariota becomes awesome and we will be remembered as the team that passed on him when we needed a franchise QB. I really liked Garopallo (sp?) as a QB last year...Pats were smart to pick him up.

If I were the Jets, I would draft Mariota (if available)...The kid looks like, with a year of seasoning, he could be amazing. Winston will be the pick to the Bucs..

LL

I think if the rumors are true and the Eagles really want Mariota he will not sniff the 6th pick the Eagles will trade up too 2 or 3 or even 1 depending on what they hear

You take the QB at 6 if he is there. If Eagles call you and offer 2016 #1 and a 1st, Foles and 3rd in this draft I think you take it. If not let Geno & Mariota fight it out in camp

I'd take him and let him sit a year. 

What is wrong with letting a QB sit for a year, learn the offense, while the team brings in some better talent?

One thing about Mariotta is that he seems to be mentally all there.  Geno and Sanchez have been kind of pouters.  I don't remember much about Geno's mental make-up coming out, but he sure looked pissy during the draft.  Sanchez is a kid that had 16 starts at USC and had never seen adversity.  Mariotta seems more mature and if you put a good team around him, he seems like he won't fold up as he learns the offense and settles in taking snaps under center.  I think we got too worried about ruining these kids.  Some people are more easily ruined than others

One thing about Mariotta is that he seems to be mentally all there.  Geno and Sanchez have been kind of pouters.  I don't remember much about Geno's mental make-up coming out, but he sure looked pissy during the draft.  Sanchez is a kid that had 16 starts at USC and had never seen adversity.  Mariotta seems more mature and if you put a good team around him, he seems like he won't fold up as he learns the offense and settles in taking snaps under center.  I think we got too worried about ruining these kids.  Some people are more easily ruined than others

Every quote I have read talks about his football IQ.  If he has the physical tools, and the brains, and the work ethic, he will be successful if put in the right surroundings.  I draft him in a second, I run up with the card in my hand.  Then, I don't start him until week 15 at the earliest.  Maybe a couple games to get his feet wet.  Let him learn, he's young.  People talk about Peyton Manning starting as a rookie.  That's great, he also started 30+ games in college and had Marshal Faulk standing next to him helping him.

One thing about Mariotta is that he seems to be mentally all there. Geno and Sanchez have been kind of pouters. I don't remember much about Geno's mental make-up coming out, but he sure looked pissy during the draft. Sanchez is a kid that had 16 starts at USC and had never seen adversity. Mariotta seems more mature and if you put a good team around him, he seems like he won't fold up as he learns the offense and settles in taking snaps under center. I think we got too worried about ruining these kids. Some people are more easily ruined than others

You make an excellent point. That is exactly why most of these guys fail because they do not have the mental makeup to make it in the NFL. Geno and Sanchez were always too concerned what people were thinking and saying about them. Sanchez wanted to please everybody. I remember before last years draft Geno posted a picture at like 2 am of himself in the Gym saying I can't sleep so I figured I hit the Gym. The fact that he posted that it screamed of an insecurity and he felt he needed to prove he was a hardworker. These top QB all have the tools but when the pressure is on they fold. If you look at the top QB's in this league you see the they all have a certain personality that ranges from anywhere between I am 100% confident in myself to I am arrogant bastard and I don't give a sh*t what u think or say about me.

The Jets will not get Mariotta because he probably wont be there.  Washington has to be the team in the top 5 that is most likely looking to trade down because they would love to recoup some picks after the RGIII trade.  So if Cleveland, St Louis or Philly want Marriotta (assuming he is there at #5) then I would jump over the QB needy Jets.  Philly would have to pay handsomely to jump from their spot AND trade with a division rival that potentially has to deal with Mariotta for many years to come.  If the Jets make it known that they don't want Mariotta it wouldn't matter because it could just be a smoke screen.

My Last comment about the Geno Smith problem most fans have. It has been believed by some that Mark Sanchez was one of the better QBs the Jets have had in the last 10 yrs.  Someone even went as far as making a thread about what should be done if we had a chance to replace Geno Smith with mark Sanchez.

Rookie season :

Mark Sanchez :  12 TDs, 20ints and  53.8 completion percentage.

Geno Smith    :   12 TDs, 21ints and  55.8  completion percentage.

Sophomore Season :

Mark Sanchez :   17 TDs, 13ints and 54.8 completion percentage . 

Geno Smith     :    13TDs, 13ints and 59.7 completion percentage. 

One of these guys had the benefit of excellent talent on offense  and defense.

One of these guys played in a pro set offense at the college level .

I don't understand the Hate for Geno smith on this board at all, but IMO, I see a kid learning on the fly and improving.

This is Bret Farve last yr with the Jets:

22TDs, 22ints and 65.7 completion percentage.

Every QB throws Ints, so why does a kid who had no business being under center for an NFL franchise get hated this much ?

My Last comment about the Geno Smith problem most fans have. It has been believed by some that Mark Sanchez was one of the better QBs the Jets have had in the last 10 yrs.  Someone even went as far as making a thread about what should be done if we had a chance to replace Geno Smith with mark Sanchez.

Rookie season :

Sophomore Season :

I don't understand the Hate for Geno smith on this board at all, but IMO, I see a kid learning on the fly and improving.

Every QB throws Ints, so why does a kid who had no business being under center for an NFL franchise get hated this much ?

That is a great question; I think it might be a little because of his demeanor and perceived cockiness which I see as confidence.  As you said, there is no way he should have started his first year and clearly still had a ways to go in his second year.  Does that mean we should cut him?  Absolutely not, because hard as it is for some to acknowledge, he did improve especially over the last month of the season culminating in his best performance of the season.   I expect we will bring in some competition, but I am rooting for Smith to take that next step. 

Rookie season :

Sophomore Season :

I always go back to what Steve Young said watching after the Jets vs Miami MNF game. "Who's coaching this kid, this is a bad place for a QB, it's just not a quarterback friendly system". This is when they ran like 50 times, Geno had thrown 7 passes in 3 quarters.

Being under the leadership of Rex Ryan is like a kid coloring outside the lines & no one corrects him. I can guarantee you that under Bowles the details will be a focal point. You can tell that he's very disciplined.

Something Rex knows nothing about.

The Patriots have won 4 Superbowls paying attention to the details & everyone being prepared. The "do your job" mantra is not just lip service, it's why we've lost so many CLOSE games to to them.

Not quite, you snide little prick. My thread was a "wouldn't it be nice if the shoe ended up on the other foot for once thread". Perfectly reasonable, despite being a little pollyanna.

These clowns are acting like "geno might be the guy" being announced in ******* February, before FA, and before the draft, and before camp and pre-season is the be-all-end-all. 

Not quite, you snide little prick. My thread was a "wouldn't it be nice if the shoe ended up on the other foot for once thread". Perfectly reasonable, despite being a little pollyanna.

These clowns are acting like "geno might be the guy" being announced in ******* February, before FA, and before the draft, and before camp and pre-season is the be-all-end-all. 

photo-10224.gif?_r=1421880437

Rookie season :

Sophomore Season :

Holy crap, really???

Archived