Bowles Let's His "Parcells" Show ...

KRL

Love the bolded comment from Bowles, right out of the Parcells playbook.  Using the

media to put out a challenge to a player and letting him know if he can't be on the field

we'll move on without him.  No more "gassing players heads up" in Florham Park:

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2015/02/new_york_jets_arent_sure_when.html

The New York Jets finished 14th among the NFL's 32 teams in passing defense during the 2014 season. But a closer look at the Jets' passing-defense stats gives a better idea of why New York finished 4-12 and new coach Todd Bowles said the team wants "to get better at the corner issues."

The Jets finished tied for last in the NFL with six interceptions. They gave up 31 touchdown passes; only two teams yielded more. They gave up 14 passes that gained at least 40 yards; only two teams yielded more. They allowed opposing quarterbacks to pile up a passer rating of 101.5; only two teams were worse.

The New York secondary played without starting cornerback Dee Milliner for most of the season. The former Stanhope Elmore and Alabama standout had his second NFL season wrecked by injuries. He played in only three games after suffering an ankle injury in training camp, then tearing an Achilles tendon on Oct. 12. Milliner was rushing the kicker on a Denver Broncos' field-goal attempt when he fell to the turf without contact with an opposing player.

The ankle and Achilles tendon injuries join a list of physical setbacks that Milliner has suffered since the Jets selected him with the ninth pick in the 2013 NFL Draft. Milliner missed part of the post-draft practices because of shoulder surgery and sat out some of his rookie training camp with an Achilles injury. He missed three games with a hamstring injury during the 2013 season. Milliner missed time at the Jets' OTAs in June with another hamstring issue.

"I don't think it's a matter of relying or not relying on him," Bowles answered when asked during a press conference at the NFL Scouting Combine about Milliner's injury history. "It's just a matter of getting the best players in the building. If he's healthy and ready to go, we'll see if he's one of the best players. If not, we'll have to do it elsewhere."

Bowles said he didn't know when Milliner would be healthy enough to practice.

"It's still early on in the process," Bowles said. "You get weekly medical updates about how he's doing and how he's coming along, but we'll evaluate that more as we go. It's a little too early to see whether he'll be ready for the spring or not."

The Jets also have a new general manager, Mike Maccagnan. During another press conference at the NFL Scouting Combine in Indianapolis, he said the Jets couldn't pinpoint when Milliner would return.

"He's still in the rehabilitation process," Maccagnan said. "Right now, we're projecting him to be back in the spring, early summer."

The Jets haven't announced their offseason schedule, but the voluntary offseason workout program usually starts in April, with OTAs in May and June followed by minicamp.

There is no one better in the NFL at praising mediocrity and underachievement than Rex Ryan.  

So glad that we don't have to listen to that garbage any more.  It didn't help the players either, most of whom had an unreal assessment of their own performance.

God, Rex was an awful HC.  Good luck to the Bills fans.  Poor leadership only gets you so far.  But you will win points in the press.

There is no one better in the NFL at praising mediocrity and underachievement than Rex Ryan.

So glad that we don't have to listen to that garbage any more. It didn't help the players either, most of whom had an unreal assessment of their own performance.

God, Rex was an awful HC. Good luck to the Bills fans. Poor leadership only gets you so far. But you will win points in the press.

not even point with the press. More like hollow points for the press to aim at the team lol.(Metaphorically of course) No one actually liked Rex in the press, he just made his job harder and their job easier.

He's weakening. After all this time.

Now, now Tom....I said on several occasions that Rex had plenty of faults and I was always willing to acknowledge them.  However, I wasn't going to join the "Rex Ryan doesn't know anything about football" club and some people found that offensive.  He was good in some areas and bad in others.  For a few years I'd hoped he'd learn from his mistakes as many coaches do, but it just wasn't happening and looks like it may not happen in Buffalo based on the comments he's making about his players.

Now, now Tom....I said on several occasions that Rex had plenty of faults and I was always willing to acknowledge them.  However, I wasn't going to join the "Rex Ryan doesn't know anything about football" club and some people found that offensive.  He was good in some areas and bad in others.  For a few years I'd hoped he'd learn from his mistakes as many coaches do, but it just wasn't happening and looks like it may not happen in Buffalo based on the comments he's making about his players.

Conversion therapy WORKS. #IlkShake

Conversion therapy WORKS. #IlkShake

Nah, I still like the guy and don't wish anything horrible on him.  I know there were some people who said "anyone who wishes Rex well isn't a real Jets fan"...I wonder if those people were super disappointed to learn D'Brick isn't a real Jet fan when he said he wished Rex well along with a few other players.

I agree with Ferguson...I wish him well unless he's facing the Jets.

Nah, I still like the guy and don't wish anything horrible on him. I know there were some people who said "anyone who wishes Rex well isn't a real Jets fan"...I wonder if those people were super disappointed to learn D'Brick isn't a real Jet fan when he said he wished Rex well along with a few other players.

I agree with Ferguson...I wish him well unless he's facing the Jets.

Will he have more or less than 28 wins over the next three years?

Will he have more or less than 28 wins over the next three years?

If they stick with EJ Manuel I say they win between 24-28...if they bring in a competent veteran, over 28 and at least one playoff appearance. 

Excited about Todd Bowles though...the Jets needed a compromise between Mangini and Rex and based on what we're hearing about him, he could be that guy.

If they stick with EJ Manuel I say they win between 24-28...if they bring in a competent veteran, over 28 and at least one playoff appearance.

Optimistic. I'm predicting "giant ball of flame" by the end of Year Three.

Excited about Todd Bowles though...the Jets needed a compromise between Mangini and Rex and based on what we're hearing about him, he could be that guy.

The mash-up of Mangini and Rex would be Al Groh, I think.

So glad that we don't have to listen to that garbage any more.  It didn't help the players either, most of whom had an unreal assessment of their own performance.

God, Rex was an awful HC.  Good luck to the Bills fans.  Poor leadership only gets you so far.  But you will win points in the press.

Honestly Rex was/is the most full of sh-- HC in the NFL and I don't think there's a close second.  I got to the point where most of just completely stopped listening to just about anything he said.  

I imagine if he lost credibility with us I'm sure he did with the players too....

Rex's praise usually leads to laziness I'm glad its gone as well.

Honestly Rex was/is the most full of sh-- HC in the NFL and I don't think there's a close second. I got to the point where most of just completely stopped listening to just about anything he said.

I imagine if he lost credibility with us I'm sure he did with the players too....

I really wonder how well Rex's shtick will play in a locker room full of dudes who beat him by 20+ three times in a row.

Latest news out of Buffalo this week is that Bryce Brown is ready to challenge OJ's  Bills rushing records.

Archived