Sal Palantonio Post-Combine Comments

AFJF

FWIW.....Just heard SalPal on Philly radio talking post-combine Mariota/Eagles/Jets 

In regards to Chip Kelly: Every executive he spoke to said Kelly wants Mariota (no surprise there) and another "Willing to do whatever it takes to get him" type of comment...don't remember it word for word.

In regards to Jets and Mariota: Doesn't think think there's any way the Jets trade up for him and likely wouldn't even take him if he's there at six. "I really don't think the Jets even like him".

Bryce Petty came out looking like number three behind Winston and Mariota.

Pauline said the same about Jets/Mariota. Here's hoping.

There was a poll in some Philly paper recently and it came out largely in favor of trading for Mariota. That fan base wouldn't say a peep if Chip gave up 3 firsts for him. Latest rumor I saw was the Eagles trying to include Shady McCoy in any deal. If the Jets want it, they can get a deal made today.

There was a poll in some Philly paper recently and it came out largely in favor of trading for Mariota. That fan base wouldn't say a peep if Chip gave up 3 firsts for him. Latest rumor I saw was the Eagles trying to include Shady McCoy in any deal. If the Jets want it, they can get a deal made today.

I still don't understand why the Eagles would trade with us, a team that is beyond QB-needy. Why wouldn't they trade with Washington or a team that selects before the team sitting at six who needs a QB? Unless we make it crystal clear we have no interest in Mariota, I don't see how the eagles have any choice but to trade above us.

I'd love to see a source for that last part.  Lot of rumor mongers trying to get website hits so hard to know what to believe.   

Schrager: Mariota to the Jets

February 24th, 2015 1:37 pm

FOX Sports’ Peter Schrager has the Jets drafting Marcus Mariota with the No. 6 pick in the 2015 NFL Draft (Feb. 24).

“He’s got all the physical tools, wants to be great, and has unlimited potential,” Schrager wrote. “New York, though a media pressure cooker, could be the right fit.”

Mel Kiper’s latest mock draft also has Mariota going to the Jets (ESPN, Feb. 12). Todd McShay recently released his second mock draft for the 2015 NFL Draft, and it has Mariota landing in New York, too (ESPN, Feb. 5).

In three seasons as the Ducks QB, Mariota has thrown for over 10,000 yards and 105 touchdowns. In 2014, he completed 69.3 percent of his passes, threw 42 touchdowns, four interceptions and rushed for another 15 TDs.

I still don't understand why the Eagles would trade with us, a team that is beyond QB-needy. Why wouldn't they trade with Washington or a team that selects before the team sitting at six who needs a QB? Unless we make it crystal clear we have no interest in Mariota, I don't see how the eagles have any choice but to trade above us.

If they know we have zero interest in him, doesn't that mean they'll wait to trade with an Atlanta or NY Vaginas at 8 or 9? Only St. Louis(10), Cleveland(12/19), Houston(16) or KC(18) would be likely to take Marriota before the Eagles pick @ 20. The later they trade up the less it costs them in draft picks.

The simple answer: no one wants Mariota more than Chip Kelly.

Schrager: Mariota to the JetsFebruary 24th, 2015 1:37 pm

FOX Sports’ Peter Schrager has the Jets drafting Marcus Mariota with the No. 6 pick in the 2015 NFL Draft (Feb. 24).

“He’s got all the physical tools, wants to be great, and has unlimited potential,” Schrager wrote. “New York, though a media pressure cooker, could be the right fit.”

Mel Kiper’s latest mock draft also has Mariota going to the Jets (ESPN, Feb. 12). Todd McShay recently released his second mock draft for the 2015 NFL Draft, and it has Mariota landing in New York, too (ESPN, Feb. 5).

In three seasons as the Ducks QB, Mariota has thrown for over 10,000 yards and 105 touchdowns. In 2014, he completed 69.3 percent of his passes, threw 42 touchdowns, four interceptions and rushed for another 15 TDs.

Dudes mocking Mariota to the Jets are treating it like they're setting up their two ugliest friends on a blind date.

McCoy is due $10 mil I believe..not sure anyone is paying that for a RB anymore.

Anyone hear Bruce Arians comments about Chip/Mariota?  He wasn't very complimentary.  Again...paraphrasing off memory but something along the lines of "Some of these guys can't change a cadence or make  a call at the line. These guys who look to the sideline for somebody holding up a card, stomp their foot, and throw the ball aren't showing any leadership.  They might be doing it on the sidelines, but not on the field"

Edit: He didn't directly say either of their names, but not sure who else he could have been talking about.

Well if it's true that the Jets want Spiller, maybe they can get Jordan Matthews from Philly instead?

Which is funny, considering Costello just said he got the feeling the Jets are taking Mariota or a pass-rusher, unless cooper drops.

This is pretty much like saying nothing. It's a given that Leonard Williams won't be there at 6, and every other player projected from picks 4-7 is Mariota, WR or pass rush.

Dudes mocking Mariota to the Jets are treating it like they're setting up their two ugliest friends on a blind date.

Dudes mocking Mariotta to the Jets are lazy. They're also the types of dudes who can't ever mention NY without the obligatory "media pressure cooker" remark. Also lazy.

This is pretty much like saying nothing. It's a given that Leonard Williams won't be there at 6, and every other player projected from picks 4-7 is Mariota, WR or pass rush.

Unless you're part of the faction that likes Scherff, Peat or White. I personally don't think there's a T worth taking in the top ten, but who knows. I guess it lends credence to the Jets thinking there's elite value with the pass-rushers.

This was kind of what I was hinting at earlier, and now the Sal comments make me feel this way even more strongly.  My interpretation: 

Maccagnan wants to trade down if he can swing a big trade to pick up an extra 1st (or in Philly's case, an extra first, a starting QB, and more fabulous prizes). 

OR 

He wants Mariota himself but doesn't want to have to trade up from #6 to get him.

Whichever his desire, he's desperately trying to convince Cleveland or Philadelphia they don't need to trade up ahead of the Jets' pick for Mariota.

Also he doesn't want to draft a non-QB at #6 unless that's his only move. That this isn't the type of draft where the talent level has some steep dropoff after the top handful of players is gone. The top 3 positions (at the top of the draft) are QB, WR, and DE/OLB pass rusher, seem to have no consensus on who's the clear #1 prospect at any of these positions (and for all of which the Jets have a big need).

This was kind of what I was hinting at earlier, and now the Sal comments make me feel this way even more strongly.  My interpretation: 

Maccagnan wants to trade down if he can swing a big trade to pick up an extra 1st (or in Philly's case, an extra first, a starting QB, and more fabulous prizes). 

OR 

He wants Mariota himself but doesn't want to have to trade up from #6 to get him.

Whichever his desire, he's desperately trying to convince Cleveland or Philadelphia they don't need to trade up ahead of the Jets' pick for Mariota.

Also he doesn't want to draft a non-QB at #6 unless that's his only move. That this isn't the type of draft where the talent level has some steep dropoff after the top handful of players is gone. The top 3 positions (at the top of the draft) are QB, WR, and DE/OLB pass rusher, seem to have no consensus on who's the clear #1 prospect at any of these positions (and for all of which the Jets have a big need).

You're probably right. I think I just got so used to the old regime announcing everyone that they wanted in every round to the entire league.

OR 

How is he convincing Philly that St louis or Cleveland does not want Marriota?

OR 

I don't agree with the bold. I think it's entirely possible he doesn't like either of these QBs.

I do like that the Jets are a complete wildcard at #6. If Mariota's there, QB, OLB, or WR all make a lot of sense. I do agree that there's a longer talent plateau in this draft. I'd be very comfortable trading with Cleveland down to #12. That would put them in Parker/Waynes territory, and I'm not entirely convinced that would represent a dropoff from what they'd be taking at #6. I wouldn't want to see the team trade with Philly all the way to #20, though.

He could be trying to create a market for the pick. Chicago picking #7 is a legitimate possible landing place for Mariota should the Jets pass. I just get the feeling that the Jags or Washington will be more aggressive trying to move down, and that the Jets will have a hard time convincing teams they're not hoping to take Mariota themselves.

I don't think teams want to move down to 20, but if Cleveland offers there 12th and 19th pick and possible future picks I think Tennessee, Jacksonville, Oakland, and Washington would make that trade. Mariota is not making it to 6, this is going to be a long 2 months of speculation. Hopefully free agency will clear some things up.

So when do we get all butthurt over the Eagles trading up to Washington or Tennesee's spot to draft Mariota and blame Maccagnan for not getting it done?

Is today too soon?

******* Maccagnan!  I can't believe he didn't draft Winston!

You're probably right. I think I just got so used to the old regime announcing everyone that they wanted in every round to the entire league.

It's a long way to the draft

Plenty of time to announce who we want?

Well if it's true that the Jets want Spiller, maybe they can get Jordan Matthews from Philly instead?

Philly is not trading Matthews.  McCoy is basically a throw in, a get rid of the $10M guy.  They lost Jackson last year and Maclin is a FA.  I doubt they are looking to go into the season pushing Riley Cooper.

In regards to Jets and Mariota: Doesn't think think there's any way the Jets trade up for him and likely wouldn't even take him if he's there at six. "I really don't think the Jets even like him".

that makes it official: Mariota will be a stud.

Archived