Scott Chandler (TE) Released

KRL

Ryan just released Scott Chandler up in BUF.  He played for Gailey could he be our #2 TE:

http://www.nfl.com/player/scottchandler/2495573/profile

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000478283/article/scott-chandler-released-by-buffalo-bills

Scott Chandler's five-year run in Buffalo is over.

The longtime Bills starter saw his role diminish in 2014 when he only started five games and gained just 497 yards. Perhaps theBills are trying to free up room for Charles Clay and Percy Harvin, who have visited with the team since free agency opened.

Clay received the transition tag from the Dolphins, and he is expected to sign an offer sheet with Buffalo. The Bills will certainly have competition for Harvin, but getting him in the building first is a great sign. This has been an aggressive start to the offseason in the AFC East, and it doesn't seem likely to slow down anytime soon.

Color me intrigued. Can he block? How easy would it be for us to dump Cumberland?

Cap wise Cumberland is due 1.9M this year, and all of it is voidable with no dead money. Chandler was playing for roughly 2M before the cut. If you could get Chandler for close to that same figure, maybe 2 year deal for 4-5M I think it would be an upgrade. That said, Chandler didn't grade out too well in run blocking last year, and I think that is what we would want, a solid run blocking in line TE that can catch a bit.

Still...I would take him over Cumberland if they can get him for close to the same salary.

If Rex cuts an offensive player, you immediately have to be interested in that offensive player.

Well said. Rex has stars in his eyes for Harvin most likely and will sacrafice some good hard working contributing "team" guys to get him signed.

Anything to make the splash.

I'm not sure if Chandler is an upgrade over cumberland, but a change of the guard, even if things are relatively equal, is sometimes a good thing

Cumberland isn't a bad #2 and he isn't making too much money.

Well said. Rex has stars in his eyes for Harvin most likely and will sacrafice some good hard working contributing "team" guys to get him signed.

Anything to make the splash.

I'm not sure if Chandler is an upgrade over cumberland, but a change of the guard, even if things are relatively equal, is sometimes a good thing

I am tired of waiting for Cumberland to arrive. He has short flashes and then disappears for long stretches.

But, at his pro day Cumberland ran a 4.4...stud.....beast?  No?  

I think he'll be a marginal upgrade over Cumberland, although Chandler probably is a better red zone option which could work out for us.  When we get in the red zone, we could go with a 2 TE formation, have Decker/Marshall on the outside, and Ivory in the back field.  

However in the same token that we dismiss some of the offensive struggles of Geno or Sanchez as being a system failure, do we give Cumberland the benefit of the doubt until he's in a non-Rex system?  

Do you guys want every old body on the market? Guy is 30, I don't think his catch rate is very good and just because he is big that does not mean he is a great blocker. This great red zone target had the same number of TDs in 2014 as Cumberland. Leave some room for youth.

If you don't think he's a significant upload over Cumberloaf you're nuts. Also, 30 is not old for a tight end.

Do you guys want every old body on the market?  Guy is 30, I don't think his catch rate is very good and just because he is big that does not mean he is a great blocker.  This great red zone target had the same number of TDs in 2014 as Cumberland.  Leave some room for youth. 

Isn't Amaro the youth at the position?

If you don't think he's a significant upload over Cumberloaf you're nuts. Also, 30 is not old for a tight end.

Isn't Amaro the youth at the position?

Do what you want.  I think it is ridiculous.  If Gailey likes him and wants him fine, but this is not Antonio Gates we are talking about here and I don't think he is such a hot blocker.  Youth is not a one player thing.  Good rosters are full of young hungry players, not guys on their last contracts.  When you sign all these guys with 7 vet DBs, who the **** is playing specials?  I doubt it is this ******* gooch.

Do what you want. I think it is ridiculous. If Gailey likes him and wants him fine, but this is not Antonio Gates we are talking about here and I don't think he is such a hot blocker. Youth is not a one player thing. Good rosters are full of young hungry players, not guys on their last contracts. When you sign all these guys with 7 vet DBs, who the **** is playing specials? I doubt it is this ******* gooch.

Who said he's Antonio Gates? He's way better than Cumberland why is that a crazy opinion?

Unfortunately there aren't a lot of 23 year old superstar tight ends available in free agency.

Chandler is a slightly above average TE who is not the best blocker (the Bills used Lee Smith more for blocking schemes). He broke out in 2011 mostly because the Bills didn't have good WRs (Stevie Johnson was a marginal #1). He can make some clutch catches, but also has a tendency to drop critical ones. He understands Gailey's sytem and has some chemistry with Fitzpatrick so signing him makes some sense.

Who said he's Antonio Gates? He's way better than Cumberland why is that a crazy opinion?

Unfortunately there aren't a lot of 23 year old superstar tight ends available in free agency.

I can pretty much guarantee there will be 23 year old TEs available that are better than Chandler and Cumberland.  The trick is finding them.  You don't find them by having a bunch of 30 year old vets on your roster.  I don't think Chandler is way better than Cumberland.  He is probably better, but not way better.  You guys all hate on Cumberland who is probably a never was, but Chandler was a 4th round pick and didn't catch his second pass until the 5th year after he was drafted.  Cumberland is entering his sixth season.  If we move on from Cumberland I would rather it be for somebody younger and an excellent blocker.

Chandler is a slightly above average TE who is not the best blocker (the Bills used Lee Smith more for blocking schemes). He broke out in 2011 mostly because the Bills didn't have good WRs (Stevie Johnson was a marginal #1). He can make some clutch catches, but also has a tendency to drop critical ones. He understands Gailey's sytem and has some chemistry with Fitzpatrick so signing him makes some sense.

Agree completely

Do what you want.  I think it is ridiculous.  If Gailey likes him and wants him fine, but this is not Antonio Gates we are talking about here and I don't think he is such a hot blocker.  Youth is not a one player thing.  Good rosters are full of young hungry players, not guys on their last contracts.  When you sign all these guys with 7 vet DBs, who the **** is playing specials?  I doubt it is this ******* gooch.

And Cumberland is playing special teams?

And Cumberland is playing special teams?

We can go around all day.  1.  They signed Cumberland before they drafted Amaro.  2. Not much, but Pantale is and so will whatever other UDFA they bring in.  3.  Stats through their first 5 years out of college: 39/397 6TDs vs. 81/1042 10TDs.  Guess which one is which.  The staff should be very familiar with both players.  I will defer to them.  I will be happy with either or neither.

Archived