Calvin Pryor

Jets723

Honestly, I have no hope for this guy. It's not about having patience or being optimistic because that's the type of person I am. I thought Gholston was going to be a contributor after the position xhange to DE, but Pryor hasn't done ONE thing last year that made me think he can be a player. He also has a big mouth and doesn't back it up on the field. "Slugger" my ass.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

DC Dennis Thurman is a former DB and the DB coach Tim McDonald is a 6 time pro bowl DB but of course it was Rex who harmed the poor guy.. I'm still mad at Rex for being the main cause of the rise of ISIS in the middle east and heart attacks in the US.. :winking0001:

Agreed....Rex had plenty of faults as a HC....Calvin Pryor's inability to tackle as a consensus first round NFL talent out of a major college was not one of them.

The labeling of Pryor as a bust is beyond stupid.  Ryan should've been a good coach for him

but last year showed he was the worst coach for him.  From draft night Ryan:

- Gassed his head up by comparing him to Ed Reed

- Took him out of his comfort zone and played him out of position

- Never disciplined him, which led to the lateness issues we heard about

Bowles is a Parcells disciple who will not gas a player's head up and will not

tolerate lateness.  On top of that in ARZ Bowles showed he's not stubborn

and will not force a "square peg into a round hole"

Thank you. Couldn't have said it better myself. I'm so happy we have a real coaching staff now.

The day you are drafted being told you are the hammer and the 1st day of camp being told you are an amazing player does not harm a young guy?  One of Pryors big problems was he was trying to live up to his coaches hype and go for kill shots that you don't get away with in the pros.  Rex is very poor at keeping guys hungry. 

Make your team feel good about itself and invincible?  Great if you have a bunch of quality vets that have learned the game.  Making the comments he does about rookies or guys he has not even seen on the field hurts them, so yes imo he did hurt Pryor.

So Pryor never listened to his position coaches just did what he thought Rex wanted?? I suppose great college players never heard a compliment about their ability before.. The Vet players are the one's that should help a player stay grounded, Jets didn't have any DB leadership last season that has changed with the addition of Revis..BTW Revis made his first All-Pro under Rex I guess compliments only affect rookies??

So Pryor never listened to his position coaches just did what he thought Rex wanted?? I suppose great college players never heard a compliment about their ability before.. The Vet players are the one's that should help a player stay grounded, Jets didn't have any DB leadership last season that has changed with the addition of Revis..BTW Revis made his first All-Pro under Rex I guess compliments only affect rookies??

Do you feel it is a good idea to pump the tires of players who have never played a snap in the leauge and make them think they are hot shi* before learning a thing?  This was all done before with Kyle Wilson doing the finger wag of greatness after getting cooked repeatedly.  Tell players they are great after they have earned it.  Tell players to be play makers or hammers or knock out artists after they have learned to play the game at the pro level.

Do you think the Parcells, Belichicks of the world told their rookies they were hot sh*t the day they were drafted? 

Do you feel it is a good idea to pump the tires of players who have never played a snap in the leauge and make them think they are hot shi* before learning a thing?  This was all done before with Kyle Wilson doing the finger wag of greatness after getting cooked repeatedly.  Tell players they are great after they have earned it.  Tell players to be play makers or hammers or knock out artists after they have learned to play the game at the pro level.

Do you think the Parcells, Belichicks of the world told their rookies they were hot sh*t the day they were drafted? 

I think it depends on the player.  Some guys respond well to it.  LOL at quoting Parcells.  The be all end all of coaching and player development.  Belichick has really been a master at developing DBs over there.  The one guy that he has had success with had to be converted to safety.  The rest were mercenaries or sucked.

All coaches have their ways to motivate players Rex was like Dick Vermeil and I agree BB is like the Tuna.. I don't see why some Fans dwell on the past? I'm excited to see what Bowles and staff do with the team and that includes fixing all the horrible things Rex did to the poor players.. :tongue:

I think it depends on the player.  Some guys respond well to it.  LOL at quoting Parcells.  The be all end all of coaching and player development.  Belichick has really been a master at developing DBs over there.  The one guy that he has had success with had to be converted to safety.  The rest were mercenaries or sucked.

Well I picked those guys because I fall in line with their thinking.  Support your players, give them big credit if they do things well, defend them and take the blame if things go wrong but Rex seems to WAY over do it.  Not all players need to feel they are pro bowlers before they actually play like it.  I even have a suspicsion that Mo wilk has not achieved what he could perhaps for this reason.  Remember him doing the pro bowl hula half way the year before last?  He then has something like a sack and a half in the 2nd half of the year.

Well I picked those guys because I fall in line with their thinking.  Support your players, give them big credit if they do things well, defend them and take the blame if things go wrong but Rex seems to WAY over do it.  Not all players need to feel they are pro bowlers before they actually play like it.  I even have a suspicsion that Mo wilk has not achieved what he could perhaps for this reason.  Remember him doing the pro bowl hula half way the year before last?  He then has something like a sack and a half in the 2nd half of the year.

Not sure I agree that is how Parcells handled players.  Hitting Chrebet in the cast with his cane?  Calling Terry Glenn she?  They are all just ploys.  Some work, some don't.  I laugh at the whole Parcells discipline thing too.  LT could have done lines off his back and Tuna would have just stayed still so none got wasted.  Personally, I think all the coach speak and motivational bullsh*t is overblown.  You can play or you can't.  I found most of that stuff a joke whenever I heard it.  You are free to hate Rex and think he is a blowhard.  He is, but IMO so is everybody else and I question how much it matters.  What makes them good coaches is the scheming and Rex did seem to fall down on the job as far as administration. 

Keep repeating it!  That makes it true!

The developing talent argument (a favorite of Shane's) might have some merit.  As for the alleged failure to use talent appropriately, what talent?  What player left the Jets and excelled elsewhere?  Mike DeVito and Pitoitua are two of the only guys that did anything off the Jets.  Rhodes and Lowery were bad fits and they got picks back, but they both pretty much sucked.  Lito Shepherd, Woody, Jenkins, Pouha, Scott, Brunell, retired.  Thomas Jones sucked. Leon Washington and Brad Smith?  Sanchez?  Holmes?  Braylon Edwards?  If Rex did such a poor job of utilizing talent, why haven't the Jets been raided by other teams?  The talent sucked.  Can you name one player outside of Danny Woodhead that has played better since he left the Jets?

Part of the problem stemmed from always grabbing vets and not leaving room for young guys to develop.  That is one thing I am worried about now.  The board is ready to sign Chandler, Cromartie and another FA guard.  If they do that, what spot is there for an up and coming player?

there is a reason why none of rex's ex players ever went on to play better with another team. he was such a bad coach that he ruined them for life. FOR LIFE!!!

I know fans hate him because he is an Idzik pick and didnt have a great rookie season.  But he is the one guy who i feel will have a huge bounce back year.  Last Year he was playing out of position with the worst secondary in the league.  Now we have upgraded our secodnary dramatically and will take pressure off the kid.  I also think despite the rough patches he has learned going through the process.  Again im not saying he is gonna be a beast bur i do expect him to bounce back in his second year

He is an 'in the box' safety period. He can't do much of anything in space - especially tackle - so if he doesn't improve in the one thing the Jets will ask him to do I think he deserves to be gone. I hope Bowles is not in the Rex mode of keeping underachievers like Kyle Wilson around like Rex did. If you can't play, you can't play so cutting bait is what needs to be done.

IMO Pryor is fine and all the bust talk, out of position talk and the idea that Rex somehow harmed him are a joke.  He was a rookie.  He did not set the world on fire, but I think he did okay, especially when you consider the stiff CBs they had to backup.  I also don't know where the idea that Milliner is a bad tackler comes from.  He seems plenty good to me and most others IMO. 

Milliner hasn't been on the field enough for me to evaluate whether I think he is a good tackler or not. Maybe he tackles physical therapists pretty well, but I don't know that either. To me he is an injury prone bust. We need Cromartie to sign already so we can let Milliner along with Walls and Wilson go on to whatever life holds for them.

Rex never met a player that wasn't 'a top-five talent in this league' and told him so.....repeatedly. EVEN when the guy showed he had no talent or skill for the game a la Kyle Wilson.

Not sure I agree that is how Parcells handled players.  Hitting Chrebet in the cast with his cane?  Calling Terry Glenn she?  They are all just ploys.  Some work, some don't.  I laugh at the whole Parcells discipline thing too.  LT could have done lines off his back and Tuna would have just stayed still so none got wasted.  Personally, I think all the coach speak and motivational bullsh*t is overblown.  You can play or you can't.  I found most of that stuff a joke whenever I heard it.  You are free to hate Rex and think he is a blowhard.  He is, but IMO so is everybody else and I question how much it matters.  What makes them good coaches is the scheming and Rex did seem to fall down on the job as far as administration. 

+1 Plus LT was a 2 time All Pro before the Tuna became the HC.. BTW the Tuna didn't hit Wayne with a cane he kicked him..LOL

http://www.nydailynews.com/archives/sports/chrebet-ready-parcells-not-sold-article-1.843145

More like McDonalds because that's where he's ending up :tongue:

You act like that is a bad thing.  LOL

Dude I saw this kid play at Maryland,  If he stays healthy he is going to be a steal man.  Im telling you.  Not saying it's not a huge "if" because of his injury history but this kid can flat out play. 

I know fans hate him because he is an Idzik pick and didnt have a great rookie season.  But he is the one guy who i feel will have a huge bounce back year.  Last Year he was playing out of position with the worst secondary in the league.  Now we have upgraded our secodnary dramatically and will take pressure off the kid.  I also think despite the rough patches he has learned going through the process.  Again im not saying he is gonna be a beast bur i do expect him to bounce back in his second year

I was just going to start a thread about this guy. My take was that if anyone has benefited the most from the last 8 weeks in this organization it's Pryor.

First he lands Bowles as his HC, what a great mentor for him.

Then the depleted secondary he played with last year just landed Revis, Scrines and Cromartie to go with Milliner and McDougle. The defensive backs on this team just went from an F to an A- in 48 hours.

This should allow him to be used the way he is best suited, in the box sacking QB's and forcing fumbles.

I am very concerned with what I saw his first 16 games, but I am reserving judgement until I see him with this group of players and coaches.

I was just going to start a thread about this guy. My take was that if anyone has benefited the most from the last 8 weeks in this organization it's Pryor.

First he lands Bowles as his HC, what a great mentor for him.

Then the depleted secondary he played with last year just landed Revis, Scrines and Cromartie to go with Milliner and McDougle. The defensive backs on this team just went from an F to an A- in 48 hours.

This should allow him to be used the way he is best suited, in the box sacking QB's and forcing fumbles.

I am very concerned with what I saw his first 16 games, but I am reserving judgement until I see him with this group of players and coaches.

^THIS

willing to reserve judgment on Pryor until the end of the season.  

Honestly, I have no hope for this guy. It's not about having patience or being optimistic because that's the type of person I am. I thought Gholston was going to be a contributor after the position xhange to DE, but Pryor hasn't done ONE thing last year that made me think he can be a player. He also has a big mouth and doesn't back it up on the field. "Slugger" my ass.

I have not completely thrown in the towel on him because of the coaching changes. However, I am much closer to Ghost's opinion than the green gogglers around here. I saw NOTHING encouraging from Pryor.

Dex and Millner need to play special teams so they can toughing the phuck up, especially Millner dude cannot stay healthy what the crap man.

So he tore his Achilles because he's not tough?

How can you possibly make this statement? Dex McDougle will be great based on what evidence exactly?

I think there is a higher probability he doesnt even make the team.

For one I saw the kid play his entire career at Maryland and he was very good.  Bit fragile but great hips and closes on the ball.

For two he was killing it last year before he got hurt.

For three. I like his name.  Its fancy. 

lol. I guess rookies get no time to do anything in this league. If Bowles is the guy I think he is Pryor will be vying for the pro bowl in about 3 years. It will take at least a year to undo Rex's damage.

i recent memory for the Jets, how many guys did u not know by their rookie year how good they were going to be?

Even milliner showed some flashes. Pryor showed nothing. Reminds me exactly of K Wilson.

I know it's possible for him to turn it around, but I don't think its promising.

And he wasn't as out of position last year as people say, he was a fs in college. He wasn't always in the box

How can you possibly make this statement? Dex McDougle will be great based on what evidence exactly?

I think there is a higher probability he doesnt even make the team.

Evidence? He said he thinks he will be great. He would have been a late 1st early 2nd if it wasn't for his injury issues.

Sometimes players get past it and find a way to stay healthy. Sometimes they just aren't built for football. But he has the skill set.

What evidence do you have that we will dump a 3rd round pick before he ever gets a chance to play in an actual game? That's what you just said by saying he doesn't make the final cut.

Give the kid a chance. If he gets a major injury again at any point in 2015, then he'll be gone.

I know Milliner isn't the most popular DB on the team but the kid can definitely tackle lol he needs to find a way to stay healthy. He's got good instincts.

People that want to dump a #9 overall pick who has shown some flashes, and a 3rd rounder who hasn't even played on a real game yet don't understand the NFL ... At all.

Does it look good for these kids considering their injury history? No. But if you invest the picks your need to go through the process.

Pryor was a rookie with his head spinning playing with a procession of UDFAs rotating at our CB positions! The secondary is like a symphony, if one guy is out of sync it f*cks up everything.

With Revis locking down one side & Bowles using him in more of an attack mode he can cut loose without the fear of screwing up.

This happens a lot with young players that are thinking too much, it stunts their natural athletic abilities.

It's the same for Amaro on offense. He wasn't always completely comfortable.

Look at Damario Davis, he's gotten better & has played faster every year.

This defense could be epic if we get that pass rushing OLB.

I'd love to see Bowles hold his nose & sign Greg Hardy to a one year show me deal. Talk about a versatile defensive group.

Nothing better than watching an elite defense frustrating the sh*t out of the other team. It's mentally draining playing a defense that can pressure you at every level.

I still think he's bad, hopefully we can coach him to serviceable. It's interesting with Revis and Skrine, the Jets don't think much of Dougle or Miliner injured or not. To be honest I don't see Miliner making it back with the injury.

Bad based on what?  The guy was playing out of position all season plus he was..... wait for it.....  A ROOKIE.  Good lord the impatience of fans know no limits. 

Bad based on what?  The guy was playing out of position all season plus he was..... wait for it.....  A ROOKIE.  Good lord the impatience of fans know no limits. 

Based a few things, first Rex's Defence does not employee a conventional Strong Safety, Free Safety  system. From my observations of Prior I picked up the following:-

1) Takes bad angles.

2) Whiffs on tackles trying to hit to hard.

3) Drops easy turn overs.

4) He's slow.

5) when he does play in the box he gets run over.

6) Showed zero flashes.

7) Doesn't make plays.

8) When benched Jaiquawn Jarrett looked like Ed Reed in his place.

Like a say I hope we can make him into a serviceable safety.

NFL Networks view.

Calvin Pryor, Jets: (18th overall pick) Stuck in a disastrous secondary, Pryor has been forced to play out of position at free safety for much of the year. Billed as a run-stopping hammer, the rookie was benched midway through the season for Jaiquawn Jarrett after struggling with his tackling and showing up late for meetings. Coming off one of his best games of the year against the Titans on Sunday, Pryor deserves another long look in 2015. Grade: C-

Ha Ha Clinton-Dix, Packers: (21st overall pick) Mike McCarthy's Packers have cycled through safeties in recent years, with 17 players at the position since 2006. We've seen Clinton-Dix grow weekly, though, shifting from nickel duties into a starting role alongside Morgan Burnett. He's given up a handful of big plays and struggled in spots with open-field tackling, but he's earned a reputation for big hits. "He's a really smart guy, very athletic. He's picking everything up really fast," Burnett told the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel. Some of those lessons have been learned the hard way ... Grade: B-

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000444829/article/grading-firstround-draft-picks-defense

Archived