Did this team become a Super Bowl contender ?

JetsFanInDenver

Did we become Super Bowl Contenders  

124 members have voted

1. 1. Did we become Super Bowl Contenders and for how long

• No. We still suck.
    • No. We are still not SB contenders but may make the playoffs.
    • Yes. But our window is going to be for max 2 seasons.
    • Yes. We will be SB contenders for a long time to come.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not as of today. We dont have a QB. Even if we go 10-6 and make a Wildcard we cant depend on our offense to generate Points because we have a below average back up in Ryan that is our best QB at the Moment. And given his career, we may not even make the Playoffs given that he's never even seen one, and I dont know the last time he's played 16 games either.

So are we saying we are just a QB short of being SB contenders. I know it's not just you that has expressed this sentiment but a quiet a few others have expressed the similar sentiments.

Who would you plug in that would fit in the salary cap now to be instant SB contenders ?

He's Geno's backup

I doubt it, but that would honestly be a good sign that Geno is developing. Fitzpatrick is a serviceable starting QB in this league and we've seen enough of him to have a general sense of what his numbers would be this upcoming year (3700/24/18 give or take). If Geno can give us better production than that I'd sign up for it right now. I just have no reason to believe he's capable of that.

I voted no, but possibly a playoff team. But then I asked myself, what are the pluses/minuses/similarities between this team and the two that almost got there recently and I honestly had a hard time justifying the original answer. No Kool-aid being consumed, just saying that it's possible given the formula of really good D, solid running game and WRs, game-managing QB and new coaching staff that has everyone's attention (presumably).

So are we saying we are just a QB short of being SB contenders. I know it's not just you that has expressed this sentiment but a quiet a few others have expressed the similar sentiments.

Who would you plug in that would fit in the salary cap now to be instant SB contenders ?

I believe with the Team we have right now if we plug in Mike Glennon we can make a run for it for the next couple years. Legit runs.

You have to show you're a playoff contender before you can be a Super Bowl contender.  I don't think any Super Bowl winner in the last decade or so finished below 9-7 the year before they won it.  

Since we're likely not going to find anyone off the magic QB tree to make us an actual SB contender this year, it's essential that we have a competitive season so that we're an attractive place for a QB to be.

No team with Ryan Fitzpatrick at the helm can call themselves a legit Super Bowl contender. But with this defense there's no doubt we should contend for a wild card spot.

Fitz is at the helm?  Did you break the news to Bowles?  Can they at least get to camp and compete first before you name him the starter? 

You have to show you're a playoff contender before you can be a Super Bowl contender.  I don't think any Super Bowl winner in the last decade or so finished below 9-7 the year before they won it.  

Since we're likely not going to find anyone off the magic QB tree to make us an actual SB contender this year, it's essential that we have a competitive season so that we're an attractive place for a QB to be.

THIS.  

In fact, here's the records of the last 10 Super Bowl winners the year before they won it:

2013 Patriots:  12-4

2012 Seahawks:  11-5

2011 Ravens:  12-4

2010 Giants:  10-6

2009 Packers:  11-5

2008 Saints:  8-8

2007 Steelers:  10-6

2006 Giants:  8-8

2005 Colts:  14-2

2004 Steelers:  15-1

The only team in that group that failed to make the playoffs the year before their Super Bowl run were the '08 Saints.  The '06 Giants snuck in.

A different way to ask this question:

Can the Jets compete with teams like the Colts, Patriots, Broncos, Ravens or Steelers? Can we beat any of them in a playoff game?

The answer is no.

There is a good chance we roll over the Patriots this year. Their secondary took a big hit seeing as they lost both Browner and Revis. Another thing to consider is now that we have a secondary our Defense in theory should get more sacks.

In fact, here's the records of the last 10 Super Bowl winners the year before they won it:

2013 Patriots:  12-4

2012 Seahawks:  11-5

2011 Ravens:  12-4

2010 Giants:  10-6

2009 Packers:  11-5

2008 Saints:  8-8

2007 Steelers:  10-6

2006 Giants:  8-8

2005 Colts:  14-2

2004 Steelers:  15-1

The only team in that group that failed to make the playoffs the year before their Super Bowl run were the '08 Saints.  The '06 Giants snuck in.

'06 Giants were great

Eli, Plax, Tiki, Strahan...lots of HOF or HOF level talent on that team

I believe with the Team we have right now if we plug in Mike Glennon we can make a run for it for the next couple years. Legit runs.

I am not as confident.  But I was thinking along those lines as well. And i think it would have been an option i won't have a problem with if it happened.

I also think acquiring Fitz is also a better option that having Vick on the team. So take it for what it's worth.

I think we are a qb away. Our defense should be able to  carry us into playoff contention and the addition of Marshall is key but without a solid reliable qb its tough. Only realistic way i could see us making the superbowl this year was if we traded for Brees and that's not gonna happen :/ 

Archived