The New Fireman Ed Thread

Maxman

I've seen video of it and to be honest it looked cheesy.  I met the guy twice, sat directly behind him one game as well.  It's such a procedural manufactured robotic thing now that it has lost all of its luster.  He gets queued when to do it.  He has 2 security guys by him during the games.  Everything about it is just so disingenuous at this point, especially after he quit.  Back in the old stadium for a while it was an entirely organic thing.  He did it when he wanted, you would only know it was coming by the roar of the crowd from his section's direction building up.  So much so that sometimes he would do it in the wrong spots like when we had the ball, but it was still organic and it belonged to the fans.  Once the new stadium came around the team worked with him on when to do it and would queue him up at all times.  God I heard him grunting one time when the guy gave him the queue like he was getting tired of it.  At that point it had completely lost its charm and honestly felt no better than the "Get Loud" signs that go up. 

At this point he reminds me of Mickey Rourke from "The Wrestler".  An old washed up caricature of himself. 

good post.  it's lost all it's charm.  still okay but it is so manufactured.  

• Replies 451
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've seen video of it and to be honest it looked cheesy. I met the guy twice, sat directly behind him one game as well. It's such a procedural manufactured robotic thing now that it has lost all of its luster. He gets queued when to do it. He has 2 security guys by him during the games. Everything about it is just so disingenuous at this point, especially after he quit. Back in the old stadium for a while it was an entirely organic thing. He did it when he wanted, you would only know it was coming by the roar of the crowd from his section's direction building up. So much so that sometimes he would do it in the wrong spots like when we had the ball, but it was still organic and it belonged to the fans. Once the new stadium came around the team worked with him on when to do it and would queue him up at all times. God I heard him grunting one time when the guy gave him the queue like he was getting tired of it. At that point it had completely lost its charm and honestly felt no better than the "Get Loud" signs that go up.

At this point he reminds me of Mickey Rourke from "The Wrestler". An old washed up caricature of himself.

I've seen video of it and to be honest it looked cheesy. I met the guy twice, sat directly behind him one game as well. It's such a procedural manufactured robotic thing now that it has lost all of its luster. He gets queued when to do it. He has 2 security guys by him during the games. Everything about it is just so disingenuous at this point, especially after he quit. Back in the old stadium for a while it was an entirely organic thing. He did it when he wanted, you would only know it was coming by the roar of the crowd from his section's direction building up. So much so that sometimes he would do it in the wrong spots like when we had the ball, but it was still organic and it belonged to the fans. Once the new stadium came around the team worked with him on when to do it and would queue him up at all times. God I heard him grunting one time when the guy gave him the queue like he was getting tired of it. At that point it had completely lost its charm and honestly felt no better than the "Get Loud" signs that go up.

At this point he reminds me of Mickey Rourke from "The Wrestler". An old washed up caricature of himself.

I don't like the sound of this..if true, you're right, it ceases to be organic. If true, Ed and the team need to take steps to ensure that this is not the way it goes down on game day.

I'd-sick, has this issue been brought up with you, Ed, or the team?

I don't like the sound of this..if true, you're right, it ceases to be organic. If true, Ed and the team need to take steps to ensure that this is not the way it goes down on game day.

I'd-sick, has this issue been brought up with you, Ed, or the team?

I spoke to Ed about how the chant was after he left. What is described is 100% how it was last year. The Jets controlled when it happened. The guys last year were told to only do the chant at the beginning of the game and after the Jets scored. Obviously back in the day when Ed was doing it, and when it started before him....the chant was natural. They did it when it needed to happen.

I had the opportunity to speak to Neil Glat this offseason and that is one of the things I mentioned to him as well. I agree 100%, the chant can't be led by the marketing department. The chant has to happen naturally. Not only just after a score. But sometimes also when there was a big stop on defense. Or when the team needs a pick me up.

The really good thing was Neil Glat definitely seems to understand that. He seems committed to giving the chant back to the fans and having the Jets playing a supporting role. That is a really good thing!

No one will boo Ed.  But he will be disregarded.  That's worse.  And that's the reason he quit.

Jets fans have enough "asks" at a game, don't need one more.  Attending a Jets game is a lot like email spam.  "Get LOUD!"  "Cheer for Lieutenant Dan just back from Iraq!"  "It's the Tee Boy!"  "It's the Kumo Red Zone!"  "Scream for a T-Shirt toss!"  "Cheer for out of town scores!"  "Cheer for the defense!"  "Let's hear it for the NY Fire Department!"  "It's Pee Wee Football halftime!  Two games at once!"  "Cheer for Celebrity A!"  "Cheer for Celebrity B!"  "Let's hear it for the Modell's fan of the game upgrade!"   "Stand and give an ovation to PFC Marion Cunningham, just back from Iraq!"  "[PC Richards Whistle here]"  "Get LOUD!"

We don't have the bandwidth for the chant any more.  And, let's face it, it never did anything anyway. The Mets Rally Cap's were more effective.

SAR I

Well I disagree on two points. I don't think Ed would be disregarded. And I also don't remember them ever asking us to cheer for the out of town scores, lol.

I spoke to Ed about how the chant was after he left. What is described is 100% how it was last year. The Jets controlled when it happened. The guys last year were told to only do the chant at the beginning of the game and after the Jets scored. Obviously back in the day when Ed was doing it, and when it started before him....the chant was natural. They did it when it needed to happen.

I had the opportunity to speak to Neil Glat this offseason and that is one of the things I mentioned to him as well. I agree 100%, the chant can't be led by the marketing department. The chant has to happen naturally. Not only just after a score. But sometimes also when there was a big stop on defense. Or when the team needs a pick me up.

The really good thing was Neil Glat definitely seems to understand that. He seems committed to giving the chant back to the fans and having the Jets playing a supporting role. That is a really good thing!

If a spontaneous, natural chant is desired, then the Jets have to cut out all the distractions that occur in between plays.  Over recent years, they have turned it into an NBA game, where all you get is noise and nonsense every 3 seconds.  The way the Marketing team abuses the scoreboards and our senses during every single millisecond between plays is just horrendous.  Can't even talk to the fans sitting around you.  

So in a peculiar way, SAR is correct about all the other distractions...  with those firmly in place, there will NEVER be a spontaneous chant again.

Furthermore, this was mentioned at the Town Hall at Florham Park and both Woody and Glatt nodded their heads in agreement.  However, I wouldn't be betting the farm that anything will change.

If a spontaneous, natural chant is desired, then the Jets have to cut out all the distractions that occur in between plays. Over recent years, they have turned it into an NBA game, where all you get is noise and nonsense every 3 seconds. The way the Marketing team abuses the scoreboards and our senses during every single millisecond between plays is just horrendous. Can't even talk to the fans sitting around you.

So in a peculiar way, SAR is correct about all the other distractions... with those firmly in place, there will NEVER be a spontaneous chant again.

Furthermore, this was mentioned at the Town Hall at Florham Park and both Woody and Glatt nodded their heads in agreement. However, I wouldn't be betting the farm that anything will change.

Yup...great analogy w NBA game..the noise from the marketing dept renders 2014 football games unable to sound old school with crowd noise helping sway momentum. I'm with dcat, I'll believe it when I see it.

.I wonder, Do some NFL stadiums have reputations for better "feel" for the ebbs and flows of the game? I know hockey has stadiums like that, but I never heard it discussed for NFL stadiums. I don't take too many road trips..Miami and Tampa only and those crowds are pretty lame NFL fans

If a spontaneous, natural chant is desired, then the Jets have to cut out all the distractions that occur in between plays.  Over recent years, they have turned it into an NBA game, where all you get is noise and nonsense every 3 seconds.  The way the Marketing team abuses the scoreboards and our senses during every single millisecond between plays is just horrendous.  Can't even talk to the fans sitting around you.  

So in a peculiar way, SAR is correct about all the other distractions...  with those firmly in place, there will NEVER be a spontaneous chant again.

Furthermore, this was mentioned at the Town Hall at Florham Park and both Woody and Glatt nodded their heads in agreement.  However, I wouldn't be betting the farm that anything will change.

There's nothing "peculiar" about what SAR wrote.  As usual, he's spot-on.

Too much money to be made selling the dead air in the stadium, can't have a 30 second pause every-other-TV-timeout to let the fans have a break or Ed to do his chant because that 30 seconds is worth $5,000 in advertising dollars from the US Military or pimping some cheerleader calendar.  That's not an indictment of the Jets or the NFL or pro sports or this forum; it's just fact.  Advertising makes money.

SAR I

There's nothing "peculiar" about what SAR wrote.  As usual, he's spot-on.

Too much money to be made selling the dead air in the stadium, can't have a 30 second pause every-other-TV-timeout to let the fans have a break or Ed to do his chant because that 30 seconds is worth $5,000 in advertising dollars from the US Military or pimping some cheerleader calendar.  That's not an indictment of the Jets or the NFL or pro sports or this forum; it's just fact.  Advertising makes money.

SAR I

Are you anti-military? 

Are you anti-military? 

No way, my grandfather (Philippines WWII) and father (Army reserve) both served and I have nothing but respect for the men and women of our armed forces.

However, I didn't need so much of it thrown in my face at every Jets game and I suspected something else must have been in play.  Yankees, Mets, Rangers, Islanders, Devils, I'd been to tons of their games since 2001 and the rest of them cut the recognitions down to once per game.  But not the Jets for some reason.  Roll out the military for the national anthem, let us recognize them with a loud ovation, that's great.  But the Jets do it once a quarter most games and it's too much, just more noise for us to sift through as we try to enjoy the game and speak to the kids 10 inches away without having to shout.

And now that the jig is up and we know that these interruptions were completely falsely motivated, I feel played.  All that cheering, all that standing up, it was all an in-stadium commercial designed to make my kids think joining the Marines will get them mad respect from 80,000 people.  Completely disingenuous.  Guerrilla marketing.  Reality show recognition.  Bullsh*t.

SAR I

No way, my grandfather (Philippines WWII) and father (Army reserve) both served and I have nothing but respect for the men and women of our armed forces.

However, I didn't need so much of it thrown in my face at every Jets game and I suspected something else must have been in play.  Yankees, Mets, Rangers, Islanders, Devils, I'd been to tons of their games since 2001 and the rest of them cut the recognitions down to once per game.  But not the Jets for some reason.  Roll out the military for the national anthem, let us recognize them with a loud ovation, that's great.  But the Jets do it once a quarter most games and it's too much, just more noise for us to sift through as we try to enjoy the game and speak to the kids 10 inches away without having to shout.

And now that the jig is up and we know that these interruptions were completely falsely motivated, I feel played.  All that cheering, all that standing up, it was all an in-stadium commercial designed to make my kids think joining the Marines will get them mad respect from 80,000 people.  Completely disingenuous.  Guerrilla marketing.  Reality show recognition.  Bullsh*t.

SAR I

The 80,000 people cheering isn't a manufactured emotion. So, it's not completely disingenuous. Neither is the way you revere ou won family members that served. There are worse things in the world than giving the public a chance to cheer our troops, and giving our military exposure to a generation that can't do anything without a smart phone and parents hovering over them. Stop whining.

The 80,000 people cheering isn't a manufactured emotion. So, it's not completely disingenuous. Neither is the way you revere ou won family members that served. There are worse things in the world than giving the public a chance to cheer our troops, and giving our military exposure to a generation that can't do anything without a smart phone and parents hovering over them. Stop whining.

It's too many times a game, sorry.  Just because it's a good gesture to recognize those in service doesn't mean 4x a game is the appropriate amount.  And now that we know that it's paid-placement, the entire emotion behind it is ruined on the go-forward.  We're actually not 'honoring' them; they, and us, are being used for a sleazy ad campaign.

Like the Yankees, Mets, Rangers, Devils, and Islanders, the Jets should bring out a hero for the national anthem, everyone cheers, and that's enough.  The rest of it is a TV commercial and we are forced and unpaid performers, I'm done with it and so will be thousands of others.  New Yorkers have no patience for fakery.

SAR I

It's too many times a game, sorry. Just because it's a good gesture to recognize those in service doesn't mean 4x a game is the appropriate amount. And now that we know that it's paid-placement, the entire emotion behind it is ruined on the go-forward. We're actually not 'honoring' them; they, and us, are being used for a sleazy ad campaign.

Like the Yankees, Mets, Rangers, Devils, and Islanders, the Jets should bring out a hero for the national anthem, everyone cheers, and that's enough. The rest of it is a TV commercial and we are forced and unpaid performers, I'm done with it and so will be thousands of others. New Yorkers have no patience for fakery.

SAR I

Sounds like you're done with it.

Sounds like you're done with it.

What I'm done with is the Jets treating the fans like we're idiots.

It's pretty easy to see how the Jets picture their typical fans by the media they unleash.  Radio spots with a fan frum da Bronx speakin like he got no edumacation.  In stadium bits where Jets fans are caricatured as fat blue collar guys with a beer in one hand and a pissing penis in the other.  Rewards programs with trinkets only an unemployed postal worker would appreciate.  For all their research and postgame polls, the Jets haven't taken the time to sit in the stands and see the fans.  We're not the same group from Giants Stadium.  We're smarter, we're more financially sound, and we're certainly not Vinny from da Bronx any more.

As relates to Ed as this is a thread about him, it's yet another reason why he's disregarded.  He doesn't represent us any more.  The typical fan in a MetLife gameday seat is not a "man of the people", he's not a firefighter, he's not the friendly uncle from up the block, he's a stock broker or a senior executive.  And whether that's right or wrong and whether we make enough noise or not isn't the issue; the issue is that it's what it is and the Jets need to get in sync with us.  The stadium population flipped and it's like the Jets don't know what to make of us.  It takes years of prodding and town hall meetings to get them to see we are bombared with ads and the music is too loud and the parking lots suck?  Ridiculous.

SAR I

It's pretty easy to see how the Jets picture their typical fans by the media they unleash.  Radio spots with a fan frum da Bronx speakin like he got no edumacation.  In stadium bits where Jets fans are caricatured as fat blue collar guys with a beer in one hand and a pissing penis in the other.  Rewards programs with trinkets only an unemployed postal worker would appreciate.  For all their research and postgame polls, the Jets haven't taken the time to sit in the stands and see the fans.  We're not the same group from Giants Stadium.  We're smarter, we're more financially sound, and we're certainly not Vinny from da Bronx any more.

As relates to Ed as this is a thread about him, it's yet another reason why he's disregarded.  He doesn't represent us any more.  The typical fan in a MetLife gameday seat is not a "man of the people", he's not a firefighter, he's not the friendly uncle from up the block, he's a stock broker or a senior executive.  And whether that's right or wrong and whether we make enough noise or not isn't the issue; the issue is that it's what it is and the Jets need to get in sync with us.  The stadium population flipped and it's like the Jets don't know what to make of us.  It takes years of prodding and town hall meetings to get them to see we are bombared with ads and the music is too loud and the parking lots suck?  Ridiculous.

SAR I

Jesus h Christ BITCH MOAN and COMPLAIN and once again BRAG about what the hell you do for a living and you're wealth.  Yes you struck a nerve with me you HATE fireman you HATE military and you HATE the common man a blue collar worker.

Go to a damn opera or a polo match and get the hell out of the Metlife just because you bought a PSL doesn't give you the right to belittle others for who they are what they do for a living or what they believe in. 

If you act like this in real life I cant believe you lived this long. 

Enough of this bullsh*t and what you own what your possessions are and how you hate everything that isn't SAR I like. 

SAR I

No question, you're definitely done with it.

Jesus h Christ BITCH MOAN and COMPLAIN and once again BRAG about what the hell you do for a living and you're wealth.  Yes you struck a nerve with me you HATE fireman you HATE military and you HATE the common man a blue collar worker.

Go to a damn opera or a polo match and get the hell out of the Metlife just because you bought a PSL doesn't give you the right to belittle others for who they are what they do for a living or what they believe in. 

Enough of this bullsh*t and what you own what your possessions are and how you hate everything that isn't SAR I like. 

Doing it wrong.

No Super Bowl Contending team has a super fan mascot. Thank goodness Fireman Ed is no longer the center piece of the Jets games anymore. Jets need to start an era where they are taken seriously as a team and not be any sort of Busch league which the jets have been for awhile.

When I spoke with Neil Glat I said I understand that the team has other commitments for the big screen and you can't always put the chant up there. (This was after we spoke about it being natural and in the hands on the fans). I was shocked and very happy with his answer...

He said no there aren't other commitments that would stop us from putting the chant up there. I walked away convinced Neil wanted this chant to be run by the fans. And that he knows what happened last year needs to change.

When I spoke with Neil Glat I said I understand that the team has other commitments for the big screen and you can't always put the chant up there. (This was after we spoke about it being natural and in the hands on the fans). I was shocked and very happy with his answer...

He said no there aren't other commitments that would stop us from putting the chant up there. I walked away convinced Neil wanted this chant to be run by the fans. And that he knows what happened last year needs to change.

thanks for posting!

It's going to be hard for team to pull off..if making it natural and being on the big screen are to happen, that means that ED must get up out of his seat to get the fans fired up to start first, naturally, THEN the team would throw him up on the screen.

If they could pull this off I'll be impressed but I have my reservations...I'll believe it when I see it.

It's going to be hard for team to pull off..if making it natural and being on the big screen are to happen, that means that ED must get up out of his seat to get the fans fired up to start first, naturally, THEN the team would throw him up on the screen.

If they could pull this off I'll be impressed but I have my reservations...I'll believe it when I see it.

That's how it used to be when it first started.  The chant didn't start with Ed, and it certainly doesn't have to end with him.  Years ago before Ed it started in the upper level, and you would hear periodically sections yelling it out.  Ed started getting his section going, and you could hear his section getting rowdy before it from anywhere in the stadium, so people would actually look over there to see it and chant with it.  Then in the late years of Giants stadium they would throw him up on the big screens while he was doing it.  That would get the whole crowd into it, but it was still Ed doing it when he wanted vs being queued up.  Maaaybe at the end of the Giants stadium run he started getting cued to do it, but without a doubt he was in Metlife stadium.  I saw it myself and it was sad. 

Yeah, yeah, yeah, like I haven't seen this forum diversion tactic before.  Stop using my observations about the composition of the 43,000 fans in PSL seats as a personal indictment of my character.

I said "the fans" are not blue collar.  I said "the fans" don't respond to Ed anymore.  I said "the fans" were played by the military's marketing team.  I myself merely fit in with the rest of the fans, I fit the demographic.  When was the last time you attended a game at MetLife Stadium?  Have you any seat time in PSL seats?  If you did, you'd understand.  You know how forum members complain that the stadium isn't the same anymore and the fans are different and more subdued?  They're not wrong.

SAR I

I think what Ed wants to do with the chant really makes the most sense. Have a few guys doing it. But picking them by a internet vote just won't fly.

Keep putting people up there until a few of them stick. That is the closest to natural that we will get.

The new stadium was designed so poorly it's hard to get the chant going.  The old stadium the upper level and mezanine were much closer to the field and you could see friends in many different parts of the stadium.  Now if you have a friend sitting on the other side of the stadium forget it you can't see them.  Ed is in the end zone and that makes it even more difficult to see him.

IMO the best way to get the chant going again is to get a group of people to control different areas of the stadium.  It's waaaaaaaaay too big now.  Also the Jets need to stop so many commercials and events all the time.  You can't even speak to people 3 seats over it's so damn loud.

Lot K... I think you are going to be VERY happy with Ed's long term plan for the chant... You hit the nail on the head...

The biggest problem with the new stadium as it relates to this topic is the enormity of it... Ed HAS to be on the big screen to get it going because a good portion of the stadium wont be able to see him otherwise. Because of that, the Jets HAVE to be involved in it... But with that said, they don't have to be overly involved.

You guys are really going to like what the chant looks like this year - assuming the Jets reach out to Ed (which has not happened yet surprisingly)..

And I won't even bother responding to Sar because the shame about him is that he sometimes contributes bits of truth in between stroking his own ego about how much money he makes... Getting in to a back and forth with him is just a waste of time and energy.

Lot K... I think you are going to be VERY happy with Ed's long term plan for the chant...

"Long term plan", LOL, as if it's his to decide and if anyone cares already.  Long term plan.  Ha ha ha.

You guys are really going to like what the chant looks like this year - assuming the Jets reach out to Ed (which has not happened yet surprisingly)..

"Surprisingly"? LOL, how about "predictably". Funny thing about NFL teams and their owners; they don't like being embarrassed on national TV on a national holiday by their f-cking mascots. A boy in a furry suit can be controlled. A grown man in a hard hat is a liability.  Ed's credibility with Jets management and the Jets fanbase was already hanging by a thread prior to his staged walkout.  Now it's done.

And I won't even bother responding to Sar because the shame about him is that he sometimes contributes bits of truth in between stroking his own ego about how much money he makes... Getting in to a back and forth with him is just a waste of time and energy.

Your petition odometer has been stuck on 3,626 for three months. I told you that all it would take to undo all the goodwill of the Idzik campaign was to hitch your wagon to the wrong horse. Giddy up!

SAR I

Lot K... I think you are going to be VERY happy with Ed's long term plan for the chant... You hit the nail on the head...

The biggest problem with the new stadium as it relates to this topic is the enormity of it... Ed HAS to be on the big screen to get it going because a good portion of the stadium wont be able to see him otherwise. Because of that, the Jets HAVE to be involved in it... But with that said, they don't have to be overly involved.

I don't know the entire story between Ed and the Jets but from what I had heard the Jets have reached out to him several times.  Maybe he should reach out to them at this point.  That is assuming that's how things have gone the past couple of years.

Please make sure he has a plan for the upper deck as well.  I sit up there and it's hard to get the fans pumped up.  I try every game.

We're not the same group from Giants Stadium.  We're smarter, we're more financially sound, and we're certainly not Vinny from da Bronx any more.

As relates to Ed as this is a thread about him, it's yet another reason why he's disregarded.  He doesn't represent us any more.  The typical fan in a MetLife gameday seat is not a "man of the people", he's not a firefighter, he's not the friendly uncle from up the block, he's a stock broker or a senior executive. 

SAR I

Its actually hard to be this pompous, stupid and out of touch all at the same time.

Archived