Ridley to Jets?? Ian Rappaport

32EBoozer

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Jets sign Stevan Ridley

Posted by Michael David Smith on April 8, 2015, 7:34 PM EDT
cd0ymzcznguwzdbhnduynddiytjhm2yyzthlmtjjAP

The Stevan Ridley free agency tour has come to a close, and he’s landing with the Jets.

Ridley is signing with the Jets, Ian Rapoport of NFL Network reports. Ridley also paid visits to Miami and Washington.

The 26-year-old Ridley was the Patriots’ starter at the beginning of last season, but he suffered a torn ACL in October, ending his time with the Patriots. He’s not all the way back to 100 percent yet, but he is expected to be good to go for the Jets by the start of training camp.

In four NFL seasons, Ridley has 649 carries for 2,817 yards and 22 touchdowns.

Based on the history of this board this is both the greatest and worst signing of all time.

I am going to withhold judgement until the poster with the name Lamont Jordan rules chimes in on this.

New #Jets RB Stevan Ridley had offers from #Redskins & #Dolphins, among others. 1 reason for his call: Opportunity in Chan Gailey’s offense

I would be surprised if a Bellichek Bitch Slap isn't high on Ridley's "To Do" List.

Very well known Pats/Jets is a very bitter rivalry. Maybe Ridley sees the Jets FA defensive moves and wants in on the Brandy/Bellicheat Beat Down!!

Payback's a BITCH!

When I saw the thread title I knew the usual suspect chicken littles would be out in full force by morning. I underestimated them by 12 hours.

This is a depth signing. Figure he takes over for CJ500's spot. I'm also positive the contract is team friendly.

He only has 23 catches in 4 years same as Ivory..

I honestly don't know but....

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/stevan-ridley?id=2495470

WEAKNESSES

Does not have the speed to consistently break off big runs and lacks the lateral agility to make people miss in the open field. Runs too high at times limiting his power. Lacks experience as a receiver and struggles to turn and run after the catch. Inconsistent technique as a blocker in pass protection

Says he lacks experience, not hands. Vereen is an above average receiving back, they may have just used him in the passing-game more. Though, he (Ridley) caught 23 of 36 targets in his career. Eerily similar to Ivory's numbers indeed, you may be right. 

Maybe a precursor of an ivory deal to come.  If we can get a 3rd for Ivory i'd do it in a sec.  He's 27 and with his style he prob has 2 years tops left in those legs

No way I'd trade Ivory and IMO don't think we'd get as high as a 3rd for him.

I wouldn't be surprised if a Bellichek Bitch Slap isn't high on Ridley's "To Do" List.

Very well known Pats/Jets is a very bitter rivalry. Maybe Ridley sees the Jets FA defensive moves and wants in on the Brandy/Bellicheat Beat Down!!

Payback's a BITCH!

Ridley was a really good Running back with the Pats, but Bellicheat played mind games with him and all the other backs. I'm not saying it didn't work for them (they won a SB), but I could see a kid like Ridley playing with a little extra fire and wanting to face his former coach/teammates twice a year to prove something. 

As a 2nd/3rd back, he is a HUGE upgrade. But I agree that he doesn't address our need for a pass catching back. I am sure the coaches/GM knows they have that need but that wasn't grounds for passing up on a RB like Ridley. Lets be honest, Ivory is an injury waiting to happen with his running style and Bilal has yet to show us that he is anything more than a solid backup RB. If we are having a really good year and Ivory goes down you will all be VERY happy we made this quiet signing on April. 

Now lets hope we find someone who can be our 3rd down back in the draft. 

This is exactly why Ivory MAY be in jeopardy or not in the long-term plans.

Ridley & Powell provide high reception opportunities, which Ivory thus far has not shown as effectively.

All 3 of these RBs may not be here in 2016. We WILL draft a RB this year.

It's Buffalo in 2010 all over again. They drafted Spiller @ #10 that year. The physical RB - Lynch, Ivory- do not FIT Gailey's system if history is ANY indicator.

We'll see what happens.  If the Jets sacrifice Ivory for Ridley they will have downgraded the position.  ivory is just a better player.  Ridley is off a knee.  Second one.  Ridley had 5 receptions last year.  23 career total.  That's with the Pats,

Only thing that makes sense to me, is right now they plan on banging the ball alot.  Both of these guys are very hard runners that have a tendency to get banged up.  Maybe they figure if one gets banged up, they'll still have the other one.  Maybe they are going to drop the FB position, which a lot of teams have, and still carry a receiving back from the draft.

At this point I have no idea what they are thinking.  So far I've liked most of what they have done.  For now I'll trust em on this one to.

We'll see what happens.  If the Jets sacrifice Ivory for Ridley they will have downgraded the position.  ivory is just a better player.  Ridley is off a knee.  Second one.  Ridley had 5 receptions last year.  23 career total.  That's with the Pats,

Only thing that makes sense to me, is right now they plan on banging the ball alot.  Both of these guys are very hard runners that have a tendency to get banged up.  Maybe they figure if one gets banged up, they'll still have the other one.  Maybe they are going to drop the FB position, which a lot of teams have, and still carry a receiving back from the draft.

At this point I have no idea what they are thinking.  So far I've liked most of what they have done.  For now I'll trust em on this one to.

who needs a FB when we have Sheldon??!

Powell was a 1yr deal. Powell is nothing fancy but a reliable RB. I haven't seen anyone say he's great.

Powell is pretty good at everything and not exceptional at anything.  That versatility is why he has a job.  Even with the OC change, I would be surprised if he plays a major role next season.  

Why are there no 100 reply threads about the 20 OL or the 10 DL or 2 recent ILBs the Jets have signed this offseason, but there's one about a backup RB? All the signings are the same - cheap, veteran depth that will be fighting for roster spots. This signing does not preclude the Jets from drafting a RB, especially considering Ridley is more of an Ivory clone then the pass catching, game breaking RB that a Chan Gailey offense needs. 

Powell is pretty good at everything and not exceptional at anything.  That versatility is why he has a job.  Even with the OC change, I would be surprised if he plays a major role next season.  

Depends on what type of offense Gailey runs.  He's run much different versions, with different personnel.

If he runs one that dumps the bvall off to the RB a lot, Powell may see a lot of time.

This should be a low risk signing. Cheap one year deal I'd guess. Doesn't preclude them from drafting a RB, but does enable them to get out of the draft without drafting one if the situation dictates that another position would be the way to go. And it's not like Ridley is a bad player. Don't see anything to complain about.

Why are there no 100 reply threads about the 20 OL or the 10 DL or 2 recent ILBs the Jets have signed this offseason, but there's one about a backup RB? All the signings are the same - cheap, veteran depth that will be fighting for roster spots. This signing does not preclude the Jets from drafting a RB, especially considering Ridley is more of an Ivory clone then the pass catching, game breaking RB that a Chan Gailey offense needs. 

Pretty much agree.  The only thing I was doubting was that Ridley was brought in to replace Ivory

I promise to get you to 100+ posts if you start a thread about those 20 OL and 10 DL and 2 ILBs signed! :winking0001:

Are you serious???  You do realize we don't have a RB under contract past this year.  Ivory is on the last year

of his deal and Powell & Ridley signed 1 year deals.  Who cares about the guaranteed $$$ Ridley got, if he can't

come back to form he's gone.  On top of that why are people complaining about him???  Other than this year

when he got hurt he's averaged over 4 yards a rush:

http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/stats/_/id/14028/stevan-ridley

We'll draft our future workhorse RB this year

He is probably a better runner than Ivory.  He does not seek contact.  I love Ivory, but he is asking to get hurt.  And I wonder why the team went away from Ivory so often after his good starts.  Was he nicked up?  Or was it that his pass blocking was so awful?

Exactly.

The panic in this thread from some fans is ridiculous.  I really hate Jets fans sometimes.

Jet fans better understand that we have a life long scout/personnel guy running the team

now and he's going to do what he's done his whole professional life, find talent.  But now

unlike his previous positions Maccagnan has the power to sign who he likes not just suggest 

the player to his boss.  Stop complaining and enjoy the depth we're building  

Archived