GAME OF THRONES (*SPOILERS ALERT*)

Meh.... not bad, but the first hour sure did spend a whole lot of time looking for excuses to write characters off the show who no longer served any purpose in the story, but HBO was too scared to kill off last week (probably, in part, to help feed their desire for spinoffs).

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Bleedin Green said:

Meh.... not bad, but the first hour sure did spend a whole lot of time looking for excuses to write characters off the show who no longer served any purpose in the story, but HBO was too scared to kill off last week (probably, in part, to help feed their desire for spinoffs).

Lots of staging. Not much of interest going on, since we already knew Dany was cracking. Cersei is no longer entertaining. Jamie is the most intriguing character left. Him and Sansa. I still don’t know whose side he’ll be on when he gets to Kings Landing. Varis, Tyrion came close to their old banter. Ambush wasn’t very creative, but it’s all about evening odds. If it’s nit feasible Cersei could win, thenThere’s no point.

14 minutes ago, Bleedin Green said:

That’s a good point. If Sam and Tormund aren’t coming back, why not kill them off last week? It would have added to both episodes. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

If you’re thinking of themes and whatnot, the show is rapidly returning to its roots by eliminating all the supernatural crap and getting back to basic human  treachery, which is nice. There’s only one zombie left and one dragon, and both are pretty much ticketed for doom. Hopefully it comes down to who cons who down the stretch. Could be fun, and hopefully Euron is taken out next week. 

28 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

Lots of staging. Not much of interest going on, since we already knew Dany was cracking. Cersei is no longer entertaining. Jamie is the most intriguing character left. Him and Sansa. I still don’t know whose side he’ll be on when he gets to Kings Landing. Varis, Tyrion came close to their old banter. Ambush wasn’t very creative, but it’s all about evening odds. If it’s nit feasible Cersei could win, thenThere’s no point.

Yeah, agreed, definitely on the last point as well.  Although I have to admit, I immediately found myself questioning how simply those giant crossbows are now suddenly being mass-produced, but whatever... like you said, it's just a matter of trying to even the odds.

While I also agree we knew Dany was cracking, I was a little relieved to see it happen more "officially", just to put to bed the question of whether it was actually bad writing/acting that was the problem (which was also certainly the case for a while there).

2 hours ago, T0mShane said:

If you’re thinking of themes and whatnot, the show is rapidly returning to its roots by eliminating all the supernatural crap and getting back to basic human  treachery, which is nice. There’s only one zombie left and one dragon, and both are pretty much ticketed for doom. Hopefully it comes down to who cons who down the stretch. Could be fun, and hopefully Euron is taken out next week. 

Euron is the new Joffrey and I gotta admit I’m rooting for him because of it. #teamjoffrey4eva

a-king-doesnt-discuss-battle-plans-with-

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Bleedin Green said:

Yeah, agreed, definitely on the last point as well.  Although I have to admit, I immediately found myself questioning how simply those giant crossbows are now suddenly being mass-produced, but whatever... like you said, it's just a matter of trying to even the odds.

While I also agree we knew Dany was cracking, I was a little relieved to see it happen more "officially", just to put to bed the question of whether it was actually bad writing/acting that was the problem (which was also certainly the case for a while there).

The food and drink in the great hall for the lords and royals, I get. However when Gendry walked out in search of Arya and we saw all of the common folks also feasting and drunk, my mind immediately went to: two weeks ago they didn’t have food and drink, yet they were sustaining thousands more humans which would have depleted their reserves. Meanwhile on the other side of the realm Cersei is ensuring that her enemies lose, which probably meant she’s keeping all food and drink from reaching Winterfell. HOW IN THE HELL IS EVERYONE EATING AND DRINKING IN WINTERFELL!!!!

And then when I saw all of the scorpions on every boat and on top of the gates, I was kept wondering who’s building all of this for them and having it all installed if all of men are either fighting for Man in Winterfell or peasants in Kings Landing.

And, how did 3 straight shots fatally wound Rhaegal, but like 12 shots all at once straight on didn’t even touch Drogon. 

Also, we’ve now lost two of the hottest females on the show in back to back episodes, which is a bigger blow than losing Raeghal.

All that said, it was by far my favorite episode of the season. Great politicking. Dany pulled her weight in this one with some great scenes showing how she starts to go crazy. Suspense was great too except it didn’t really pay off - I for sure thought Tyrion was going to be shot to death out there in the field, which also brings me to Cercei and how badly she’s being written now. GRRM would have had her execute Tyrion when he walked over like that. 

I’m excited to see how Cersei dies next week and how the Jon-Dany story ends in the final episode. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Well, this is unfortunate, but Starbucks will love it:

5A0E3BEB-D842-409B-A5D5-1B0A5357F073.jpeg

You didn't know there was a Starbucks on Winterfell?

It's just on the other side of the library. There was a whole episode that took place in it in season 2. This is just a brilliant call back.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

9 hours ago, T0mShane said:

It's great and I'm thankful we're here but it begs the question to be asked; why were the Dragons such a central theme in this show for so long, to have such little significance?  Like, when you really think about, what purpose did they serve?  The biggest benefit they provided for the entire series was the dead one taking out the wall.  You had the scene where they returned to Dany and saved her in that crazy scene where all the masked people started killing everyone in the Gladiator pit and the scene she goes north to save the crew trying to capture a zombie but that was about it.  Otherwise, they helped take out the Lannister reserves/gold in that one battle and that they really didnt even need to win.  Kind of weird to me to have them be so "powerful" yet, basically wield no power at all and very easily taken out (******* Euron took one out for christ sake).   Unless Drogon just goes balls to the wall and torches the entire city of Kings Landing, I'll be honest, I dont get the Dragons place in this show.  They've been largely meaningless. 

Now that we've got to this point, I'm actually less intrigued by who ends up on the Iron Throne that I am to find out who kills who.  LIke it's got to be a bloodbath and it's got to be characters killing characters to finish thing out.

4 minutes ago, Klecko73isGod said:

You didn't know there was a Starbucks on Winterfell?

It's just on the other side of the library. There was a whole episode that took place in it in season 2. This is just a brilliant call back.

It's a magic cup. 

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, T0mShane said:

That’s a good point. If Sam and Tormund aren’t coming back, why not kill them off last week? It would have added to both episodes. 

100%.  I found it weird that Tormund was like, ok, we're out of here.  That was fun!  I thought they'd ride or die with John after the way he felated him during the celebration.   I feel like we havent see the end of either...weak send off for 2 crucial characters if that's it.

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, JiF said:

It's great and I'm thankful we're here but it begs the question to be asked; why were the Dragons such a central theme in this show for so long, to have such little significance?  Like, when you really think about, what purpose did they serve?  The biggest benefit they provided for the entire series was the dead one taking out the wall.  You had the scene where they returned to Dany and saved her in that crazy scene where all the masked people started killing everyone in the Gladiator pit and the scene she goes north to save the crew trying to capture a zombie but that was about it.  Otherwise, they helped take out the Lannister reserves/gold in that one battle and that they really didnt even need to win.  Kind of weird to me to have them be so "powerful" yet, basically wield no power at all and very easily taken out (******* Euron took one out for christ sake).   Unless Drogon just goes balls to the wall and torches the entire city of Kings Landing, I'll be honest, I dont get the Dragons place in this show.  They've been largely meaningless. 

Now that we've got to this point, I'm actually less intrigued by who ends up on the Iron Throne that I am to find out who kills who.  LIke it's got to be a bloodbath and it's got to be characters killing characters to finish thing out.

Their mere existence has allowed Dany to consolidate power and make people believe she is some kind of chosen one but sure, they have been totally meaningless.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Klecko73isGod said:

Their mere existence has allowed Dany to consolidate power and make people believe she is some kind of chosen one but sure, they have been totally meaningless.

haha - that's true, didnt think about it from a psychological aspect.  I was more thinking from a carnage in battle perspective, like the damage they should do vs. what they've done but I guess it helped her create the army that she brought to Westeros, where nobody respected her or her Dragons and they've had zero impact on the outcome of anything.  

2 minutes ago, JiF said:

haha - that's true, didnt think about it from a psychological aspect.  I was more thinking from a carnage in battle perspective, like the damage they should do vs. what they've done but I guess it helped her create the army that she brought to Westeros, where nobody respected her or her Dragons and they've had zero impact on the outcome of anything.  

Not really debating that point but the show isn't called Game of Dragons.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, greenwichjetfan said:

I’m excited to see how Cersei dies next week and how the Jon-Dany story ends in the final episode.

Hot predictions, completely wrong. Don’t read if you don’t like incorrect fake spoilers 

Zombie Clegane mortally wounds Hound but...

Arya kills Zombie Clegane (echoes of fight with Oberyn)

Jaquen H’gar appears to confront Arya for stealing a life from the Red God or some sh*t because ZC isn’t technically alive. 

Arya kills H’gar, becomes the Faceless ninja master Pai Mei

Tyrion cooks Iron Fleet with green sh*t a la Blackwater. 

Yara kills a fleeing Euron 

Jaime murder/suicides Cersei by dragging both out window like Tommen

Jon kills manic Dany

Jon has dragon melt Iron Throne, declares everyone to be Free Folk now because he’s a clown-ass sovereign citizen crackpot

Jon names Tyrion Lord of the South or whatever 

Tyrion gives Bronn Highgarden

Jon names Sansa Lord of the North or whatever. 

Final scene is Jon walking through snow to hang out with Tormund and his huge dog. Shadow of the dragon flying over him.

FIN

****MCU BONUS CREDIT SCENES****

Brienne, at Winterfell, visibly pregnant with last Lannister child. 

Arya secretly giving birth to Baratheon child. Hound and Gendry look on. 

Flash to King’s Landing, Varys informing Tyrion of said babies, Tyrion does a shot of Jameson 

Dead dragon lying at bottom of the ocean outside Dragonstone, eyes open and they’re blue. 

Bran gets up out of wheelchair, starts hobbling down sidewalk, but we notice his lame feet gets less and less disabled until he’s walking just fine. Camera pans to his face where he slaps on a pair of Ray Bans, lights a cigarette, and gets into a wagon driven by Samwell Tarley

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Haha 2

36 minutes ago, JiF said:

t's great and I'm thankful we're here but it begs the question to be asked; why were the Dragons such a central theme in this show for so long, to have such little significance? 

Imo, similar to the underlying theme of The Walking Dead, Martin gives us a world where there are these catastrophic entities—zombie armies! Endless winters! Dragons!—and still the biggest piece of sh*t existential threat to the universe is stupid humans. 

• Upvote 2

43 minutes ago, greenwichjetfan said:

The food and drink in the great hall for the lords and royals, I get. However when Gendry walked out in search of Arya and we saw all of the common folks also feasting and drunk, my mind immediately went to: two weeks ago they didn’t have food and drink, yet they were sustaining thousands more humans which would have depleted their reserves. Meanwhile on the other side of the realm Cersei is ensuring that her enemies lose, which probably meant she’s keeping all food and drink from reaching Winterfell. HOW IN THE HELL IS EVERYONE EATING AND DRINKING IN WINTERFELL!!!!

And then when I saw all of the scorpions on every boat and on top of the gates, I was kept wondering who’s building all of this for them and having it all installed if all of men are either fighting for Man in Winterfell or peasants in Kings Landing.

And, how did 3 straight shots fatally wound Rhaegal, but like 12 shots all at once straight on didn’t even touch Drogon. 

Also, we’ve now lost two of the hottest females on the show in back to back episodes, which is a bigger blow than losing Raeghal.

All that said, it was by far my favorite episode of the season. Great politicking. Dany pulled her weight in this one with some great scenes showing how she starts to go crazy. Suspense was great too except it didn’t really pay off - I for sure thought Tyrion was going to be shot to death out there in the field, which also brings me to Cercei and how badly she’s being written now. GRRM would have had her execute Tyrion when he walked over like that. 

First time I was really disappointed in the writing.  Let's start with the improbability of a first shot, from a boat, with wind, being a direct hit on a fast-moving, elevated target.  Pretty much zero there.  Now let's add in the fact that those shots should take several seconds at least to reach the dragons.  How, pray tell, did the dragons and Dany not see an entire fleet of ships in the time it took the ships to see the dragons, aim a ballista and fire it perfectly?  I know it's fantasy, but the non-magical elements should all make sense and this just didn't.  It was lazy writing to whittle down the forces of the North.  We are so close to the end of the series and it's such a shame to see them using weak plot devices to set the stage.  This is the first time I really felt like they have gone off the GRRM rails because I don't think he would have written it this badly.  Shame....Shame....Shame.

As for Missandei, we pretty much knew either she or Greyworm was a goner and it makes more sense to off her and have him go into a cold rage.  So you'll have to warm yourself with scenes of Sansa I guess but it's only 2 more episodes so tough it out :).  My issue is that it looked like she had an opportunity to grab Cersei and at least try to pull her off the wall with her, even with the shackles on her wrists.  Even if it didn't work out, it would have been a spectacular way to go.  

My last beef was the near character assassination of Jon last night.  Yes, he was a total puppy dog with Ygritte but I can respect that because she was...well...crazy hot and she was his first love.  But after that, to see his wishy washy reaction to Dany trying to use the power of her feminine parts to get him to lie to his family was pathetic.  He really isn't acting like king material.  Sansa really has become the best of the bunch for that.

On to the good stuff.  Glad to see Jamie heading down to KL for the end game.  As much as it feels like he's going there to right his wrongs (i.e. kill his sister-wife) that would seem to go against the prophecy Cersei heard that a younger, more beautiful queen would cast her down.  Lots to speculate on regarding that.  Also, I really, really hope that Arya and the Hound have more to do because they are now my favorite characters on the show.  Total badasses with little moral compass and no sh-ts to give.  Loads of potential!

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, nycdan said:

First time I was really disappointed in the writing.  Let's start with the improbability of a first shot, from a boat, with wind, being a direct hit on a fast-moving, elevated target.  Pretty much zero there.  Now let's add in the fact that those shots should take several seconds at least to reach the dragons.  How, pray tell, did the dragons and Dany not see an entire fleet of ships in the time it took the ships to see the dragons, aim a ballista and fire it perfectly?  I know it's fantasy, but the non-magical elements should all make sense and this just didn't.  It was lazy writing to whittle down the forces of the North.  We are so close to the end of the series and it's such a shame to see them using weak plot devices to set the stage.  This is the first time I really felt like they have gone off the GRRM rails because I don't think he would have written it this badly.  Shame....Shame....Shame.

Like with Tormund and Sam, if they were writing them off anyway, why not just kill Rhaegal last week? Everyone thought he was dead anyway. 

• Upvote 1

On 5/4/2019 at 2:59 PM, T0mShane said:

Yeah, I got screamed at pretty hard elsewhere. Like, book reader GoT people will power-punch the sh*t out of you online if you step on the canon.

Well, they showed the White Walkers being made during the war between the Forest People and the 1st men, so they are very old.  I really thought Bran was going to be the White King.

I loved last nights episode.   Varys having something to say for the 1st time in 2 years, Dany starting to get real pissed, nice death for Worm's girlfriend, Dragon death.

17 minutes ago, nycdan said:

My last beef was the near character assassination of Jon last night.  Yes, he was a total puppy dog with Ygritte but I can respect that because she was...well...crazy hot and she was his first love.  But after that, to see his wishy washy reaction to Dany trying to use the power of her feminine parts to get him to lie to his family was pathetic.  He really isn't acting like king material.  Sansa really has become the best of the bunch for that.

On to the good stuff.  Glad to see Jamie heading down to KL for the end game.  As much as it feels like he's going there to right his wrongs (i.e. kill his sister-wife) that would seem to go against the prophecy Cersei heard that a younger, more beautiful queen would cast her down.  Lots to speculate on regarding that.  Also, I really, really hope that Arya and the Hound have more to do because they are now my favorite characters on the show.  Total badasses with little moral compass and no sh-ts to give.  Loads of potential!

Jon did tell his family though.   I agree, Sansa is the best leader of the bunch, the best politician.   Don't forget, people supposidly loved King Robert, he was a war hero, but a terrible king.   Jon wouldn't be as bad, but he lacks the finesse for the role as king.

1 hour ago, greenwichjetfan said:

Well, there are a lot less people to feed then there was 3 episodes ago, and most of them are leaving to go south.

They also very rapidly cut down a forest to bury all their dead, and HOW DID THEY GET A GIANT ZOMBIE DRAGON OUT OF THE MIDDLE OF WINTERFELL?  

I have less of a problem with building tons of scorpions then how they built the entire Iron Fleet so fast.

• Sympathy 1

53 minutes ago, Klecko73isGod said:

Not really debating that point but the show isn't called Game of Dragons.

Game of Thrones is the title of the first book....the story as a whole is "A Song of Ice and Fire"....and both have been rendered inconsequential side plots.

But aside from that, its Grrreat.

29 minutes ago, chirorob said:

Jon did tell his family though.   I agree, Sansa is the best leader of the bunch, the best politician.   Don't forget, people supposidly loved King Robert, he was a war hero, but a terrible king.   Jon wouldn't be as bad, but he lacks the finesse for the role as king.

He did but he struggled with it.  He could/should have told Dany straight up that he wasn't going to lie to them instead of the half-whimpering way he avoided the confrontation (which was another cheap plot device to create artificial suspense).  I just wish the writers would assume the viewers aren't completely dumb.  It's not like we haven't seen movies with intrigue before.  The payoff, even when knowing what's coming, can still be very rewarding.

• Upvote 1

56 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Bran gets up out of wheelchair, starts hobbling down sidewalk, but we notice his lame feet gets less and less disabled until he’s walking just fine. Camera pans to his face where he slaps on a pair of Ray Bans, lights a cigarette, and gets into a wagon driven by Samwell Tarley

One of the top-5 movie endings of all time (along with The Sixth Sense but possibly even better).  Of course it will never happen, but it should (only there were no Ray Bans in the original I believe, just the cigarette).

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, JiF said:

Dragons are what made people follow Dany. Without them she doesn’t rise to power. They are a McGuffin, in Several storylines. Now their deaths will be cause for Dany to go berserker.

• Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, chirorob said:

One of the continuing elements of this whole deal is that the Stark moral compass has no place in Westeros and always leads them to certain death. Every one of them. I think that’s why Sansa and Arya are constantly alluding to them being new and improved after all the sh*t they’ve gone through. Neither of them have Ned’s dopey adherence to right and wrong. I can’t remember, but didn’t Catelyn always breaks Ned’s balls about being naive? 

• Upvote 2

13 hours ago, Integrity28 said:

Why would this be necessary? It’s not like Arya took this as permission to go do it. It was a premonition she shared with Arya. Nothing more.

Did you not understand the scene?

When Melisandre repeats the conversation that she had with Arya way back in season 3 she emphasizes "blue eyes".  In fact, she says "blue eyes" last when in the original Season 3 conversation she said, "brown eyes, blue eyes and green eyes". 

And here's the important part: when Melisandre emphasizes "blue eyes" Arya's reaction to those words is clearly meant to imply that Arya understands that Melisandre is telling her that she is the one who is destined  to kill the Night King.  My point is and was, Arya can't have that understanding if she doesn't know what the Night King looks like (which they never establish in the show).

When Arya leaves the library, it was pretty clear to me that she was going to go find and kill the Night King, she wasn't just running away from the dead as they tried to get into the library.  

6 minutes ago, IndianaJet said:

Did you not understand the scene?

When Melisandre repeats the conversation that she had with Arya way back in season 3 she emphasizes "blue eyes".  In fact, she says "blue eyes" last when in the original Season 3 conversation she said, "brown eyes, blue eyes and green eyes". 

And here's the important part: when Melisandre emphasizes "blue eyes" Arya's reaction to those words is clearly meant to imply that Arya understands that Melisandre is telling her that she is the one who is destined  to kill the Night King.  My point is and was, Arya can't have that understanding if she doesn't know what the Night King looks like (which they never establish in the show).

When Arya leaves the library, it was pretty clear to me that she was going to go find and kill the Night King, she wasn't just running away from the dead as they tried to get into the library.  

I got all that. That’s what I mean by premonition. Arya understood it as more of a prophecy. 

Anyway, I guess what I mean is, why does it have to be a scene in the show where Arya sees their blue eyes? Can’t we, as viewers, infer that this might just be common knowledge?

Ultimately, it seems like we’re just trying too hard to call things that weren’t spelled out ‘mistakes’.