GAME OF THRONES (*SPOILERS ALERT*)

Also ...

1 dragon killed by 3 consecutive scorpion shots.

1 dragon destroys entire fleet of ships and castles with scorpions. Dodged every shot.

C’mon. Even though it’s fantasy it doesn’t have to be stupid writing.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

46 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

Clegane-bowl sucked.

I think Cleganebowl was always going to underwhelm simply because it was just gonna be two huge dudes brawling, which limited what they could do. They could have gone the hardcore route and given them a psycho twenty minute, multi-venue fight like an homage to The Quiet Man, or they could have gone for “poignant” and had the Hound, before their fight, perform a soliloquy about how long he’s wanted to kill the brother, but now he’s here and he’s tired, etc etc. Would have been a nice contrast with the carnage going on outside the walls. But, no.

25 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

Also ...

1 dragon destroys entire fleet of ships and castles with scorpions. Dodged every shot.

Yeah, that was really quite ridiculous..  So is it that those shots were not nearly fast/accurate enough to really take out the dragons, and they were complete mind-numbingly stupid morons who couldn't notice an entire friggin' fleet last week?  Or did they all simultaneously forget how to fire them now?

They could have very simply just had less of those available to make it far more sensible.  But they wanted to try to make it more dramatic, so randomly decided that those things were suddenly mass-produced.  The whole thing was just so unnecessary.

Also ...

This whole season feels like it was taken over by Michael Bay trying to direct his first chick flick. Stories that have been carefully crafted for years and years......bahhhh to hell with them let’s have some dramatic CGI dragon fun with a Jon and Dany love/hate story.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

Visually stunning. The City burning is definitely from GRRM.

This season really should have been 10 episodes though. Dany's turn just felt way too rushed. Hilariously Emilia Clarke actually plays a pretty good paranoid psychopath - We really should have seen more of it. It's hilarious how every part of this story could have been improved with even small additions. Like they could have had the dragon be stationary when shot last week to make it a little less ridiculous that they can suddenly go stealth mode. 

Euron was ridiculous from start to finish since introducing his character. They really shouldn't have bothered adding him. 

Arya turning back would have been pretty good if she hadn't already devolved into what Sandor's telling her to run from. This is a girl who murdered people, carved up their corpses and baked them into pies for revenge. Now she sees the light? LMAO. Also if Bran wasn't warging that horse then just get the **** out of here.

Cleganebowl was so forced. That will not be in the books.

Jaime/Brienne stuff was so pointless with hindsight. Also him saying he doesn't care about the city he previously saved is just the worst line in the episode - He probably should have told people about the Wildfire too. I don't mind the death scene though, given the show wasn't really portraying Cersei as villainous or threatening at that point - It will be similar but different in the books. 

Tyrion really is the most incompetent guy in Westeros. Excellent judge of character he said. 

All in all the season has been a sloppy, sometimes nonsensical story producing some great moments. 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

3 hours ago, T0mShane said:

I think Cleganebowl was always going to underwhelm simply because it was just gonna be two huge dudes brawling, which limited what they could do. They could have gone the hardcore route and given them a psycho twenty minute, multi-venue fight like an homage to The Quiet Man, or they could have gone for “poignant” and had the Hound, before their fight, perform a soliloquy about how long he’s wanted to kill the brother, but now he’s here and he’s tired, etc etc. Would have been a nice contrast with the carnage going on outside the walls. But, no.

Kinda nuts that they never thought to bring you on as a writer. 

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Integrity28 said:

Dany emo was alright. Obvious, but fun to watch.

Clegane-bowl sucked.

Cersei and Jamie death sucked. 

Euron really was the least creative thing in the shows history.

Cool that Jon has the light go on. Too late though.

Arya coming into Kings Landing on a black horse, leaving on a white horse. Promising to see her purpose change. Went there to kill, ended up trying to save. Page turned? 

Behold, a pale horse. And Death sat upon him, and Hell followed him ... imo she’s going to kill the Dragon queen

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Bleedin Green said:

Yeah, that was really quite ridiculous..  So is it that those shots were not nearly fast/accurate enough to really take out the dragons, and they were complete mind-numbingly stupid morons who couldn't notice an entire friggin' fleet last week?  Or did they all simultaneously forget how to fire them now?

They could have very simply just had less of those available to make it far more sensible.  But they wanted to try to make it more dramatic, so randomly decided that those things were suddenly mass-produced.  The whole thing was just so unnecessary.

You guys do realize that the dragon that was killed by Euron was injured, right? 

Pay attention, old man.

So wait, did Cersi and Jaime really just die by the crypt falling in on them? 

No vengance by anyone? No face to face final sendoff?

Buried in rubble never to be found? 

I guess that gets Tyrion out of trouble. 

Great visuals but it got a little played watching the dragon shoot fire for 40 minutes. 

9 hours ago, Bleedin Green said:

Agree with every last word of this.  While in the middle of watching the episode, here is the question that popped into my mind that I'm definitely curious of what others think:

At this point, do we think Martin has simply not even figured out yet what he plans to put in the remaining books (assuming they ever come)?  Or he has outright refused to give HBO anything but a vague direction for a small handful of major plot points?

Because regardless of anyone's personal opinions on the positives/negatives of this season's episodes, one thing that is blatantly obvious is that he has next to nothing to do with any of it.

This is how the books will end as well, basically.

Oh, and random thought. Second to last episode and they somehow managed to do a fantastic job making the entire Stark family (including Jon) 100% completely meaningless to it all.

When Arya disappeared for like a 20 minute stretch, I was holding out hope she'd at least eventually show up with the face of one of the various different folks we had seen seriously injured, but not clearly die. No such luck.

I just don't think there's a way to do all of this well in this short amount of time.  Too much to resolve.  Love story Jamie Cersei ending was crap.  Arya turning back didn't bother me quite as much, but agreed kind of weak.

48 minutes ago, Bleedin Green said:

Oh yeah, and that totally explains why absolutely no one noticed an entire friggin fleet, right? Don't defend sh*tty writing. 

The writers literally said Dany forgot.

Forgot about the fleet that wiped hers out in S6. Twice. Forgot.

50 minutes ago, Bleedin Green said:

Oh, and random thought. Second to last episode and they somehow managed to do a fantastic job making the entire Stark family (including Jon) 100% completely meaningless to it all.

When Arya disappeared for like a 20 minute stretch, I was holding out hope she'd at least eventually show up with the face of one of the various different folks we had seen seriously injured, but not clearly die. No such luck.

To be fair this part of it - King's Landing/the throne - Isn't really their fight. In books or show. There's really no reason for Arya to be there to begin with, Sandor could have gave her that same speech at Winterfell. 

Either Arya/Jon will kill Dany next episode. 

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, TeddEY said:

I just don't think there's a way to do all of this well in this short amount of time.  Too much to resolve.  Love story Jamie Cersei ending was crap.  Arya turning back didn't bother me quite as much, but agreed kind of weak.

The writers tuned out as soon as they got signed on for 3 Star Treks. Got means nothing to them anymore. 

The last half hour there was one single thing that needed to happen.  With one two-word line, they could have set up next episode perfectly and rescued the sh-tshow that this season has become.

Arya needed to whisper two words...."Danaerys Targaeryan".  New kill list.  One person.

But no...that was too much for them.  Seven brilliant seasons and it's like they turned from Nick Mangold into Wesley Johnson in one off-season.  

1 hour ago, Bleedin Green said:

I mean, at least we had Euron get blown off his ship, swim to shore in full armor, then immediately defeat Jamie while talking non-stop... without ever appearing winded.

Does anyone else really wish that Jorah was still alive for this episode? I think they could have brought that character full circle in an amazing way if they had left him alive to see to this. 

Starts as her assassin. Falls in love, devotes nearly the entire series to protecting her, helping her... And comes to see what she does and realize he should have killed her 5 seasons ago. 

Idk. That just really bothered me. For him to survive the series just to be one of the few token "importants" that get killed off in E4. If he could die in this episode, possibly helping people escape the woman he loves, after watching what she did... would have really enjoyed that.

Probably one of the most beautifully shot hour+ of TV or movie I've ever seen in my life. Completely justified the obscene bill for the new TV

22 minutes ago, Irish Jet said:

To be fair this part of it - King's Landing/the throne - Isn't really their fight. In books or show. There's really no reason for Arya to be there to begin with, Sandor could have gave her that same speech at Winterfell. 

It feels like they are setting it up that Jon has to be the one to kill her to complete the tragedy.  Arya had her moment.  Now it's Jon's turn.  Queue the closeup of Jon crying as he plunges his sword into her, possibly to get roasted by Drogon to complete the Romeo & Juliet moment.  I'm already bored.

Arya needs to whisper her name and shank her bony ass.  Then, and only then, can she go make babies with Gendry.  Anything less and it's character assassination.

Clegane could he cut Cersei down but no...he was too focused on his mean big brother to be bothered.  Meh.  

Tyrion and Jamie's last scene was probably the only real moment in the episode for me.  Well done between two actors who, for a brief moment, got written as the characters that we loved to watch for 7 seasons.  Oh and Jamie was a real douche over the Brienne thing.  Tormund loved her and would have shagged her properly and stuck around.  Jamie pulled the classic Meat Loaf "Now I'm praying for the end of time" in like what, 3 nights?  Yeah, most of us have probably had that moment, but I generally avoid them with women who are like 6" taller than me and can swing a sword through a tree.

In case you haven't noticed, while the action was great, I think the writing has really sucked this last season.  

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

11 hours ago, Bleedin Green said:

Agree with every last word of this.  While in the middle of watching the episode, here is the question that popped into my mind that I'm definitely curious of what others think:

At this point, do we think Martin has simply not even figured out yet what he plans to put in the remaining books (assuming they ever come)?  Or he has outright refused to give HBO anything but a vague direction for a small handful of major plot points?

Because regardless of anyone's personal opinions on the positives/negatives of this season's episodes, one thing that is blatantly obvious is that he has next to nothing to do with any of it.

Dany will go crazy at some point in the books. 100%.

Kings Landing will get burned to the ground. 100%.

Whether they both happen like this I have no idea but her descent into madness will be much more fleshed out. It already is. Similar to how I feel about Stannis burning Shireen, it will happen in the books but will be much, much better executed.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Irish Jet said:

While I would agree with that concept in theory, they desperately tried to force the Starks into all of it this season and then went "oh, never mind" yesterday.  What kind of idiotic nonsense is that?  Exactly as you mentioned, they spent the entire second half of last week's episode and first half of this week's trying to make a big deal out of Arya's ultimately meaningless journey.  At least pick a direction and go with it.

Back to my prior point about Martin's contributions, I think it's pretty clear at this point there's simply a very small handful of major plot points they have from him to work with.  Everything else they're making up themselves and handling excessively differently, which is ultimately causing various things to be pretty misaligned.

12 minutes ago, nycdan said:

Cersei's lame death, after 7 season of her totally bad-assery?  It was like kissing your sister.

This was actually something I liked. Cersei is incredibly insecure but obsessed with looking strong. You see it in the walk of atonement too when she breaks down.

I thought it was fitting for her to be so scared knowing she was trapped. Her world literally crumbling around her. Fitting IMO.

Hilariously I seemed to like this episode more than most of you when I was alkost alone in sh*tting on episode 3. It was much, much worse. 

14 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

I mean, at least we had Euron get blown off his ship, swim to shore in full armor, then immediately defeat Jamie while talking non-stop... without ever appearing winded.

I was immediately annoyed when his ship got destroyed and they made it so blatantly obvious that he just so happened to survive despite every single other person on those ships being completely incinerated.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Irish Jet said:

Dany will go crazy at some point in the books. 100%.

Kings Landing will get burned to the ground. 100%.

Whether they both happen like this I have no idea but her descent into madness will be much more fleshed out. It already is. Similar to how I feel about Stannis burning Shireen, it will happen in the books but will be much, much better executed.

You mean GRRM will do a little better than this?

Dany whines to Jon about how it was his fault Varys died while making cow eyes at him

Jon says "Eww...you're my aunt you crazy bitch"

Dany gets mad and burns a half-million people while completely ignoring the one woman she was actually there to kill

Jon walks around yelling pointlessly at soldiers who can't hear him over the dragon fire, screaming and buildings falling down

[Insert CGI of dragon shooting flame at everything]

Here was the cinematic inspiration for the entire episode for those of you who remember this classic flick:

It's going to be really interesting to see what the writers have in store for the final episode.

I can't see Jon, Tyrion or Davos standing by Dany after this carnage.  Also, what about Jon's army who is really loyal only to him as King of the North. I guess Jon never gave them the message that if the bells sounded that the city was surrendering and they should stand down.  Did he ever actually give them that order and they just betrayed him - or did Jon fail to inform his captains and lieutenants of that plan so they just figured they'd join in on the murdering and raping of innoccent civilans?

As for what happens next, from the preview it certainly looks like a whole lot more Unsullied and Dothraki survived the battle with the Army of the Dead then we thought.  What happens with them if Jon or Arya or Tyrion kills Dany? They're not going to be loyal to anyone other than her so how do you get around having to deal with them, if you do kill Dany?

Maybe Jon jumps on Drogon and that alone convinces them that he too is their leader?

13 minutes ago, nycdan said:

The last half hour there was one single thing that needed to happen.  With one two-word line, they could have set up next episode perfectly and rescued the sh-tshow that this season has become.

Arya needed to whisper two words...."Danaerys Targaeryan".  New kill list.  One person.

But no...that was too much for them.  Seven brilliant seasons and it's like they turned from Nick Mangold into Wesley Johnson in one off-season.  

If you believe the white horse at the end was warging-Bran, then that’s kind of the stand-in for the scene you’re mentioning