Josina Anderson has spoken

Morrissey

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We don't have a #1, we don't have a good QB.. Hoping for Cooper

The assumption here is Cooper is gone. If he is on the books I feel confident we would take him if they have him as high or higher on their board. 

Interesting.

Would you prefer White or Cooper?

Cooper. But he's probably going to be gone.

The argument for White is that he would be the best value pick at that spot. The pass rushers outside of Fowler might be a reach at 6.

This could be a smokescreen by the Jets getting to trade down

great point.

Gut-feeling then, I guess. When did people start saying White was #2 WR in nation? Were they talking about him before year started, mid year? end of year?  I feel like when a guy emerges late as a top prospect, I get nervous and become a non believer.

That's a more fair point IMO. White had a monster senior year - 109 catches and 1447 yards, started the year with 7 straight 100-yard games. Guy fights for the ball. He's the anti- Stephen Hill

White was most people's #2 WR going into the combine.  I don't think anybody had him past 3rd.   I think all the just take DGB guys don't know what White is.  White has a good attitude, a hard worker and seems way less sloppy.  It's not like they are the same player and one just has character concerns. 

What exactly did you expect? We set up visits with guys we're interested in and tell them they won't play? Macc/Bowles said the same crap to Amari I'm sure. And any other guy they set up visits with.

If I was White, I would have kept my mouth shut at the risk of pissing anyone off.

White was most people's #2 WR going into the combine. I don't think anybody had him past 3rd. I think all the just take DGB guys don't know what White is. White has a good attitude, a hard worker and seems way less sloppy. It's not like they are the same player and one just has character concerns.

Agreed. Read a tid bit saying DGB had NO CLUE what he was doing out there. Just running routes and catching . zero technique used. Doesn't look like he properly knows how to get off a jam.

You realize every post-draft interview is the player drafted saying, "I started getting worried when the teams that told me they'd draft me started picking other players" 

Every team tells these guys that if they're there they're gonna draft them. Don't buy into this stuff.

While I would love to get Fowler or Cooper, I have come around on White. I'm thinking White could be superior i the red zone and that would really be helpful. With a compressed field, a 6 foot skilled route runner could be more easily denied. Strength, size and hands are all great asserts there.

All the time.

Interesting nugget...after last season I was under the impression that execs NEVER told players they would take them, and that if they did they were then legally bound to do so.

That's neither here nor there though...So many good options at six that I can't see the Jets making a pick that would upset me.

I'd be thrilled with White, Cooper, Beasley, Scherff.....wouldn't be thrilled with Mariota but I could see why they'd do it.

Love me some draft day.

Josina Anderson ‏@JosinaAnderson 42m42 minutes ago

As of yest. eveng #Jets source I spoke w/ didn’t rule out possb of moving out of 6. Added, IF move back, addtn'l positions may b considered.

I think it was Rapoport yesterday who said sources told him Jets were most active team working the phones.  Looking at every possibility and Mac did say they'd talk to every single team before the draft.

Wait, I didn't read where the Jets told him they would draft him if he were at that spot.

they said they would draft him if they felt he was the best player on the board when they come up.  That is quite a long way from the misinterpretation in this thread that they will draft him if he's there.

A little reading comprehension would help folks.

I don't want White... im just not a believer...his college career? Eh. Where was he the rest of his career?

What was the competition like at WVU? Too risky to take White, IMO.

Id rather trade down than take White. If youre enamored with his combine and/or size and speed numbers, take Green-Beckham later and get extra picks.

I hope Im wrong if they take him, but I really don't like the idea of taking a WVU WR at #6. I would take Beasley over White in a heartbeat.

No offense but you are wrong; do yourself a favor and watch some of his game footage on youtube (I am not talking about highlight videos).  If you know football, and I am going to assume you do, you see a guy that is going to be successful on the next level and in fact, his best football is ahead of him.   

His competition included Alabama (you heard of them right?), Maryland and other top schools but as was mentioned by another poster, where did Jerry Rice play in college?  College competition is only part of the equation. The other thing is how does a player project on the NEXT level.  History is full of great collegiate players who excelled against great college competition who fell flat on their face in the NFL because it turns out their skill set, physical ability etc. didn't translate to the next level.  

Lastly, every time I see a comment about his combine numbers as if that is why he is so highly ranked, I know this is someone who has not watched this guy play.  

Interesting nugget...after last season I was under the impression that execs NEVER told players they would take them, and that if they did they were then legally bound to do so.

That's neither here nor there though...So many good options at six that I can't see the Jets making a pick that would upset me.

I'd be thrilled with White, Cooper, Beasley, Scherff.....wouldn't be thrilled with Mariota but I could see why they'd do it.

Love me some draft day.

Agreed, I'll say one thing Macaganan has kept this thoughts to himself pretty well.  I have no idea what the Jets will do this year.

I don;t think they trade up.

I think they could very well trade down.

If we stay at 6 I have zero clue who they would pick.  I'm getting this strange feeling we are going to take Gurley.

You realize every post-draft interview is the player drafted saying, "I started getting worried when the teams that told me they'd draft me started picking other players" 

Every team tells these guys that if they're there they're gonna draft them. Don't buy into this stuff.

That's always been my take....you'd be surprised how many people think only a select few execs tell players they'll take them and then once it's said, they can't pick somebody else.

I'm sure they told every player they spoke to how they'd fit in.  I've heard the White/Fitzgerald comparison made a few times this week.

they said they would draft him if they felt he was the best player on the board when they come up.  That is quite a long way from the misinterpretation in this thread that they will draft him if he's there.

What the Jets basically said is they will stick to their board and draft the player that is there at that spot. 

Like every other team does.

There was no guarantee made to this player

Agreed, I'll say one thing Macaganan has kept this thoughts to himself pretty well.  I have no idea what the Jets will do this year.

I don;t think they trade up.

I think they could very well trade down.

If we stay at 6 I have zero clue who they would pick.  I'm getting this strange feeling we are going to take Gurley.

Wouldn't mind that either....been so long since they had a legit playmaker at RB.  He'll need some time to get healthy but with Ivory/Powell early on they should be fine.

EXACTLY. I don't know WHY so many people skim a post and then they are off to the races making statements based on what they THINK they read.   

I think it was Rapoport yesterday who said sources told him Jets were most active team working the phones.  Looking at every possibility and Mac did say they'd talk to every single team before the draft.

If they dont trade down, the pick becomes about value and if the QBs, Fowler and Cooper are gone, then Kevin White would probably be the value pick.

No offense but you are wrong; do yourself a favor and watch some of his game footage on youtube (I am not talking about highlight videos).  If you know football, and I am going to assume you do, you see a guy that is going to be successful on the next level and in fact, his best football is ahead of him.   

His competition included Alabama (you heard of them right?), Maryland and other top schools but as was mentioned by another poster, where did Jerry Rice play in college?  College competition is only part of the equation. The other thing is how does a player project on the NEXT level.  History is full of great collegiate players who excelled against great college competition who fell flat on their face in the NFL because it turns out their skill set, physical ability etc. didn't translate to the next level.  

Lastly, every time I see a comment about his combine numbers as if that is why he is so highly ranked, I know this is someone who has not watched this guy play.  

You will find excellent footage from 3 2014 games (vs. Alabama, Baylor and Maryland)  (not a highlight reel) at this link: http://rotobahn.com/scouting-report-kevin-white-wr-west-virginia/

OMG.  I am so sold on White.  I'll be delighted with him or with Cooper.

I want White or Cooper. 

The thing that really excites me about the mismatches potentially created by having Marshall, Decker and Cooper/White on the field at the same time is there are really only a couple of teams with the secondary talent to match up against it and we are one of those teams!

BIG MAC!!!!

BMarsh, Deck, White or Cooper if we're so lucky, Kerley, Amaro (hopefully)...dare I say the Jets have weaponz???

If you get a guy like Graham, Evans, Enunwa, Owusu or Powell to be there in a pinch and contribute on ST's...they might even have depth!  

This is so strange and too good to be true.  So it wont happen.  And its your fault.

<Gasp!!!> How dare you!!!

Harumph!!!

Ill take OLB pass-rusher over White....Thats my final answer!! Eat it,Trebek!

Youre right, I haven't watched enough. Im just not feeling it with White.. I see a player from WVU and my left eye twitches more than Bruce Jenners Diane Sawyer interview. I dint want to see a WVU alum for the rest of my days!!!!

<Gasp!!!> How dare you!!!

Harumph!!!

Ill take OLB pass-rusher over White....Thats my final answer!! Eat it,Trebek!

Youre right, I haven't watched enough. Im just not feeling it with White.. I see a player from WVU and my left eye twitches more than Bruce Jenners Diane Sawyer interview. I dint want to see a WVU alum for the rest of my days!!!!

Lol, okay cool, you certainly are in entitled to your opinion.  At least by this time tomorrow we will know one way or the other which way the team goes. 

I prefer White because of his size. He's built like Larry Fitzgerald. 

Me too.  We would absolutely create match up problems with a combination of 6'5 225 llb Marshall, 6'3, 215 llb Decker and 6'3 215 llb White.  Only thing better to me is if we don't go wide out at 6 and have 6'5 225 llb DGB fall in our lap at 37....   ;-)

BMarsh, Deck, White or Cooper if we're so lucky, Kerley, Amaro (hopefully)...dare I say the Jets have weaponz???

If you get a guy like Graham, Evans, Enunwa, Owusu or Powell to be there in a pinch and contribute on ST's...they might even have depth!  

This is so strange and too good to be true.  So it wont happen.  And its your fault.

Add Duke Johnson, David Johnson or Ty Montgomery (wr/hb hybrid) in the 3rd and we are off to the races! 

Ok so what do you want the Jets tell a draft guy- we will never take you Nothing to see here in White comments

Pretty  much sums up every single statement made to any player by any team at any point in the pre-draft process.  Some of us have been paying enough attention over the years to know this.

Archived