NFL Sentences Tom Brady to a Year with the Jets

Jetsfan80

http://www.newyorker.com/humor/borowitz-report/n-f-l-sentences-brady-to-a-year-with-the-jets

N.F.L. Sentences Brady to a Year with the Jets

By Andy Borowitz

May 6, 2015

FOXBOROUGH, Mass. (The Borowitz Report) – In what football insiders are calling an unexpectedly severe punishment, the National Football League has sentenced the New England Patriots’ quarterback Tom Brady to a year with the New York Jets for his role in the so-called Deflategate scandal.

The punishment drew howls of protest from Patriots fans and management, with many calling it the harshest in league history, but N.F.L. Commissioner Roger Goodell defended the decision as “a necessary deterrent.”

“We need to send the message that this league has zero tolerance for cheating,” Goodell said. “We believe that a year of playing quarterback for the Jets sends that message loud and clear.”

Brady was reportedly in a state of shock when he heard the news of his punishment. He later met with reporters in a hastily called press conference during which he frequently seemed on the verge of tears.

“I am going to fight this decision with every fibre of my being,” Brady said. “This is America. You can’t force a person to play for the Jets.”

At a sports bar in Manhattan, the reaction to the impending arrival of the Jets’ longtime nemesis was muted. One Jets fan observed, “Look, Brady’s a dick, but even he didn’t deserve this.”

Get news satire from The Borowitz Report delivered to your inbox.

Andy Borowitz is a New York Times best-selling author and a comedian who has written for The New Yorker since 1998. He writes the Borowitz Report for newyorker.com.

My critique: funny headline but the article added nothing beyond the original joke.

What was it supposed to add? Rex will join him and defend him "Don't screw up my Tom Brady poster"?

This article is stupid. Not only because it's unfunny and original, but because the Jets are only a legit QB away from being serious contenders. Not that they couldn't contend as they are now, but adding a top QB like Brady/Manning/Luck automatically puts the Jets in the SB conversation. So in reality, a move like this wouldn't be so bad for a guy like Brady.

If they really wanted to hit home, they should have went with a true dumpster fire like Cleveland or Jacksonville.

What was it supposed to add? Rex will join him and defend him "Don't screw up my Tom Brady poster"?

It was a 6 paragraph article that covered no new ground.  The Onion has funny headlines and the article is also funny.  This article had a funny headline and then was painful to read.  As for "what was it supposed to add?", how about something funny? 

This article is stupid. Not only because it's unfunny and original, but because the Jets are only a legit QB away from being serious contenders. Not that they couldn't contend as they are now, but adding a top QB like Brady/Manning/Luck automatically puts the Jets in the SB conversation. So in reality, a move like this wouldn't be so bad for a guy like Brady.

If they really wanted to hit home, they should have went with a true dumpster fire like Cleveland or Jacksonville.

Agreed. They're just taking a shot at us for our poor history....but when you look at the facts we aren't on the level of Cleveland, Jacksonville, Tennessee or Oakland of the past decade plus.

That is also the reason we weren't in position for Mariota or Winston like some posters complained about, because we just weren't as bad as those teams last year.....add in our offseason and I'd say we're middle of the pack despite the QB situation, with a good chance at a Wildcard as long as Bowles is the real deal, special teams improves from last season, and we get competent QB play from whoever the starter will be.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Someone should tell the author the circus has left town, Jets aren't a national punchline anymore….so sick of that angle.

This, the circus has moved to Buffalo and New England...

Someone should tell the author the circus has left town, Jets aren't a national punchline anymore….so sick of that angle.

He knows. He's s writer for the New Yorker, so he also knows how easily trolled Jet fans are.

Archived