Jets add Undrafted Receiver Johathon Rumph

JetNation

Rumph

By Glenn Naughton

The Jets today announced the signing of undrafted rookie free agent wide receiver Jonathon Rumph who will fill the roster spot vacated by the recently released Matt Simms.

Rumph, a South Carolina native who transferred to the University of Georgia following two seasons at  the JUCO level with Holmes Community College, had a difficult time staying on the field due to recurring hamstring injuries.

Despite his durability concerns, Rumph’s physical attributes make him worth a look as a camp body at the very least.

Checking in 6′ 5”/220 lbs, he’s a big target who is unlikely to be any more than practice squad material at this point.

With Rumph, clearly the Jets hope to have found a player who was overlooked as he played just nine games over the course of his final two college seasons racking up 18 receptions for 297 yds and a touchdown.

Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs
d5NsqN8dcQc

View the full article

Speaking of Rumphs, I guess some mook on LI got arrested for attempting to impersonate former 49ers safety Mike Rumph, which is kind of hilarious.

At least he is no longer masterbating in a Target parking lot with a cache of lube and synthetic weed.   #BringbackKellen

Stats say he had one touchdown and 300 yards in college even with hamstring issues that is really not great, if they were looking to find a miracle player they should have grabbed some no name QB, atleast that way we would have camp fodder in a position of need seeing as we are looking pretty good at WR right now. (on paper)

Why the dislike for a player for whom none of us know that much about?

If the coaching staff saw something in maybe they and we get lucky, if not, he will get cut maybe ending his dreams of playing for and in the NFL forever.

Guessing the Simms fanboys are still hurting and the fact this player has taken Little Matty boys spot on the roster means they are gathering the pitchforks and lighting the torches.  

idek.... lol

Stats say he had one touchdown and 300 yards in college even with hamstring issues that is really not great, if they were looking to find a miracle player they should have grabbed some no name QB, atleast that way we would have camp fodder in a position of need seeing as we are looking pretty good at WR right now. (on paper)

They did that too grabbing Heaps.

Can't believe people on this board are hating on the guy. Seems like Jet fans like to hate on anyone this time of year.

This guy is a physical BEAST. He will absolutely tear up the NFL if he gets the opportunity.

18 catches and 1 TD in two seasons at Georgia.

Stop the presses. The Jets found the next Calvin Johnson.

Sarcasm aside, I hope this kid shows enough to make the practice squad.

IIRC this kid was one of the tryout players invited to camp shortly after the draft. I believe there was a small blurb about him catching everything that was thrown his way, unlike a certain draft pick still on the roster  who has had trouble with the ball staying in his hands. .Will  try and find the blurb.

IIRC this kid was one of the tryout players invited to camp shortly after the draft. I believe there was a small blurb about him catching everything that was thrown his way, unlike a certain draft pick still on the roster  who has had trouble with the ball staying in his hands. .Will  try and find the blurb.

Good memory.  I didn't see the blurb, but I have a copy of the mini-camp list and he was there as a try-out.  Guess he impressed.  Big kid, not very fast. From what I have read, he catches everything, but has trouble with his route running.  They claim he is raw because he was a JuCo kid that had injury problems.  In high school he played QB, like most of the best kids.  There is a backhanded compliment from one of the Georgia coaches:

After the team’s first scrimmage, senior quarterback Hutson Mason bragged on Rumph as one of the best receivers of the spring.

But not everybody saw it that way. When offensive coordinator Mike Bobo was told about Mason’s comments, he very quickly said, “Well he’s wrong.”

“I think more the improvement over last spring to this spring is night and day between Jonathon Rumph,” Bobo added. “Where last spring he might be in position to make a play and he didn’t make it, now he’s making the plays. Now he’s still got to get better at route running, better at playing faster, but when the ball’s been near him, whether he’s running the right route or not, he’s made the play.”

http://www.redandblack.com/sports/finally-healthy-jonathon-rumph-still-struggling-to-break-out-at/article_391e4e7e-c3fb-11e3-a80f-0017a43b2370.html

To me, he seems like a camp body.  While he's tall, he's definitely not fast, nor does he have good college production to go along with a long injury list.  His vertical at the pro-day was putrid as well, although I'm not sure if he was still bothered by the hamstring.  I'd be shocked if he even made the PS.   Although, hopefully, he shows something at camp and be something.  

Why the dislike for a player for whom none of us know that much about?

If the coaching staff saw something in maybe they and we get lucky, if not, he will get cut maybe ending his dreams of playing for and in the NFL forever.

If we the Jets would have signed James Harrison years ago our fans would have been like, "why sign another undersized OLB pass rusher?" Lol.

How the hell did this guy get signed?  He must have had one hell of a work out.  He was a nobody on a high powered offense. 

The guy was hurt most of the time so he didn't play much in college.  It is worth signing him; he has talent and if nothing else a good camp body. 

Archived