Roster Cuts

Maxman

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

color me mildly surprised.  

but happy, hakim and graham would have been starters last year, lololol

I was obviously wrong about powell, he still may get cut but he would have gone before hakim in my book

good for you dude

Jets Reduce Roster to 78

August 30, 2015 – The New York Jets reduced their roster to 78 by releasing the players below. Clubs must reduce their roster to a maximum of 75 players by 4:00 p.m. on Tuesday, September 1.

Javier Arenas (CB/5-9/197/Alabama/Tampa, FL)

James Brewer (OL/6-6/330/Indiana/Indianapolis, IN)

Curtis Brown (CB/6-0/185/Texas/Longview, TX)

Dalton Freeman (C/6-5/291/Clemson/Pelion, SC)

T.J. Graham (WR/5-11/188/North Carolina State/Raleigh, NC)

Saalim Hakim (WR/5-11/188/Palomar College/Atlanta, GA)

Austin Hill (WR/6-3/212/Arizona/Corona, CA)

Bryan Johnson (LB/6-4/250/West Texas A&M/Bellport, NY)

Matt LaCosse (TE/6-6/245/Illinois/Naperville, IL)

Keith Lewis (CB/6-1/190/Virginia-Lynchburg/Chicago, IL)

DeVier Posey (WR/6-1/210/Ohio State/Cincinnati, OH)

Jonathon Rumph (WR/6-5/218/Georgia/Cayce, SC)

By Glenn Naughton The Jets have started making necessary moves to get the roster down to 75.  The following cuts have been announced thus far. WR’s: T.J. Graham, Saalim Hakim, Austin Hill, Devier Posey, Jonathon Rumph. TE: Matt Lacosse OL: James Brewer, Dalton Freeman LB: Bryan Johnson DB: Javier Arenas, Curtis Brown, Keith Lewis  

Click here to read the full story...

A lot of people thought Posey was a lock because he was Maccagnan's guy, but he didn't earn a spot. They probably cut him this early as a favor to him so he can try to catch on somewhere else. With Graham and Haakim gone, I wonder if Powell has locked up the WR/special teamer role. 

A lot of people thought Posey was a lock because he was Maccagnan's guy, but he didn't earn a spot. They probably cut him this early as a favor to him so he can try to catch on somewhere else. With Graham and Haakim gone, I wonder if Powell has locked up the WR/special teamer role. 

I know I was one of those people, this is actually not a bad sign though in my opinion because it shows that Macc cares more about winning and having the best team possible than he does about making players who he has some form of connection with happy.

its either powell and owusu or they choose between them.  I would keep them both to avoid ever having decker or cro back there

marshall, decker, kerley, smith, powell, owusu

enunwa may sneak in there with his size, evans has shown nothing

its either powell and owusu or they choose between them.  I would keep them both to avoid ever having decker or cro back there

marshall, decker, kerley, smith, powell, owusu

enunwa may sneak in there with his size, evans has shown nothing

They seem to like Enunwa, and Owusu has concussion issues that could/should figure into the equation. I think it's Enunwa and Powell rounding out the six. Never thought they'd keep seven, and that's even harder now that they'll likely carry four QBs. 

They seem to like Enunwa, and Owusu has concussion issues that could/should figure into the equation. I think it's Enunwa and Powell rounding out the six. Never thought they'd keep seven, and that's even harder now that they'll likely carry four QBs. 

I really wonder if Kerley will be the odd man out. I don't think he gets cut but I would think that there is a team out there that might trade us a draft pick for him. I would much rather keep him though

Powell has played his way onto this team

I really wonder if Kerley will be the odd man out. I don't think he gets cut but I would think that there is a team out there that might trade us a draft pick for him. I would much rather keep him though

They don't seem to like Kerley, that's true. If Enunwa is ahead of him as a WR, and Powell has won the punt returner job, they could easily look to shop Kerley. He's pretty expensive for someone who'll be the #5 WR when Devon Smith returns. 

Trading Kerley makes no sense at this point. 

They don't seem to like Kerley, that's true. If Enunwa is ahead of him as a WR, and Powell has won the punt returner job, they could easily look to shop Kerley. He's pretty expensive for someone who'll be the #5 WR when Devon Smith returns. 

I cant see Kerley dropping down to #5, I can see Enunwa dropping way down though...2 receptions so far in the preseason for a whopping 16 yards. They didn't seem to like Couples much when Bowels first got here but now Bowles is defending his bad plays (Atlanta Falcons Game)

Trading Kerley makes no sense at this point. 

No way do i want him traded however i don't get the feeling he is a lock to make this team as i felt he was back in march. My only hope is if they move on from kerley at least they get something for him but I'd much rather see him at #3 wr

Going into training camp I had thought that Graham would've gotten the last WR spot due to his familiarity with the offense, but he had shown nothing throughout preseason to warrant keeping him.

While I thought Hakim's speed was an asset on special teams as a gunner and kick returner, I didn't think he'd stick just for that alone. I thought he'd have to show consistent contribution on the offense, and, outside of that one long bomb from Petty, he showed nothing. Not surprised.

It seemed that Dalton was the initial backup center, but I believe that they started giving Wesley Johnson more reps. I guess they like him better.

It's also nice to see that Posey didn't make the squad based solely on one TD catch in preseason, or his history with Mac. Enough of that, "Boyitella, you shoulda seen that one block he made.." nonsense.

None of the other cuts are surprises.

Meaningful football is getting closer, you can just feel it!

I'd think so. 

Surprised by this cut.

Dalton Freeman (C/6-5/291/Clemson/Pelion, SC)

Me too.  We have no viable backup for the overweight, out of shape and slow Mangold.  Just think about how damned good Mangold could actually be if he kept himself in somewhat better shape.

It does seem that they are phasing Kerley out of the offense, but I don't think they'll get rid of him just yet--not at least unti Devin comes back and starts to regularly contribute. Because, outside of Marshal and Decker, Kerley is the only guy that we know we can rely on. Everyone else--while they may have more upside than Kerley--is unproven. I think Enunwa's blocking ability is just as big a part of him getting the nod as his potential to be a threat down the field.

Marshall (proven, if not aged)

Decker (proven)

Devin (very high upside and potential, yet injured and a rook)

Enunwa (tall, fast, good blocker, yet hasn't shown consistency in the passing game)

Owusu (rose high on the depth chart in training camp, but has a concussion history)

Walt Powell (if he makes the squad, it'll be based on his special teams play more than his offensive production)

So that leaves Kerley who, while unspectacular, was our best and most reliable receiver for a few years before Decker. I don't think you get rid of him yet.

It does seem that they are phasing Kerley out of the offense, but I don't think they'll get rid of him just yet--not at least unti Devin comes back and starts to regularly contribute. Because, outside of Marshal and Decker, Kerley is the only guy that we know we can rely on. Everyone else--while they may have more upside than Kerley--is unproven. I think Enunwa's blocking ability is just as big a part of him getting the nod as his potential to be a threat down the field.

Marshall (proven, if not aged)

Decker (proven)

Devin (very high upside and potential, yet injured and a rook)

Enunwa (tall, fast, good blocker, yet hasn't shown consistency in the passing game)

Owusu (rose high on the depth chart in training camp, but has a concussion history)

Walt Powell (if he makes the squad, it'll be based on his special teams play more than his offensive production)

So that leaves Kerley, while unspectacular, was our best and most reliable reciever for a few years before Decker. I don't think you get rid of him yet.

Kerley has a concussion.  

Kerley has a concussion.  

Oof. sh*t. Well, that changes everything. So that leaves four healthy WRs going into the season: Marshall, Decker, Enunwa, Walt.

Maybe they keep a seventh WR for now until we start getting healthier? Who would it be, though? It would have to be Evans, right?

I guess that's why Enunwa has been getting a lot of reps lately.

Me too.  We have no viable backup for the overweight, out of shape and slow Mangold.  Just think about how damned good Mangold could actually be if he kept himself in somewhat better shape.

Not very easy for a 300+ lb man to look in shape without freak genetics or PEDs. He plays every single snap at that weight, trust me, the dude is in shape. Maybe not cover-of-Men's-Health shape, but he's in shape. 

This is the most talent we have cut in years, and it's only first cuts.

Credit to Mac's roster building skills.

Now with Posey gone, it's Mauldin and Harrison vs Eli Harold or duke Johnson.  Interesting to see how that turns out over the years

Of course the 50 million he had to spend might have been a factor too..

Oof. sh*t. Well, that changes everything. So that leaves four healthy WRs going into the season: Marshall, Decker, Enunwa, Walt.

Maybe they keep a seventh WR for now until we start getting healthier? Who would it be, though? It would have to be Evans, right?

I guess that's why Enunwa has been getting a lot of reps lately.

yeah, depends how bad, when it happened and how long until he can return.  Didn't even realize it until I read Lange report it

yeah, depends how bad, when it happened and how long until he can return.  Didn't even realize it until I read Lange report it

I now remember seeing Owusu play last night, so apparently he's okay. They probably don't need a seventh WR after all. But I'm still worried he could get another concussion, especially if they end up using him on special teams.

I hope Kerley comes back okay. I still think he's valuable to the offense.

I now remember seeing Owusu play last night, so apparently he's okay. They probably don't need a seventh WR after all. But I'm still worried he could get another concussion, especially if they end up using him on special teams.

I hope Kerley comes back okay. I still think he's valuable to the offense.

Owusu can't be trusted.  His long history of concussions from his college days and on says he'll be concussed again if he sees playing time

Archived