What's going on at WR and QB with today's cuts?

Jets1958

Find it hard to believe they go with Petty as the backup.  I think they may like that kid from GB they worked out yesterday.  Might bring him back in week 2 so they don't have to guarantee his deal. 

I'm finding it harder to believe wasting a roster spot on a 3 week rental at that point.  I don't have any issue making Petty #2 for 4 weeks.  In the rare occurrence he comes into the game they will just run the ball down a teams throat. 

Better way to put it.  You roll with Fitz and Petty and if something tragic happens just call up Flynn or Johnson in a couple weeks to sign for a week or 2.  I think this is better roster management.

I'm finding it harder to believe wasting a roster spot on a 3 week rental at that point.  I don't have any issue making Petty #2 for 4 weeks.  In the rare occurrence he comes into the game they will just run the ball down a teams throat. 

Better way to put it.  You roll with Fitz and Petty and if something tragic happens just call up Flynn or Johnson in a couple weeks to sign for a week or 2.  I think this is better roster management.

Flynn posted a Bloody Mary so it sounds like he expects a call after the Browns game

Find it hard to believe they go with Petty as the backup.  I think they may like that kid from GB they worked out yesterday.  Might bring him back in week 2 so they don't have to guarantee his deal. 

Flynn didn't have deal guaranteed because he already took the vested vet option already and you only get to do it once

thought Powell would stick and maybe Owusu both disappointing to me. Another year of Kerley punt returns is going to make me sick. A good punt returner is very important to having good field position and I think Powell would have been at least a good one since Kerley was just terrible.

Qb's Johnson and Flynn are gone and Shaquille, Powell, and Owusu are gone at WR as well. What's the plan?

I'm not fully caught up on all the cuts for today... however, my guess is that our braintrust is retaining the players they deem most talented, regardless of position. In other words, perhaps they view the OL, DL and/or RB depth as more talented than the WR depth they cut loose. 

We always expect every team to just roster the exact same amounts of every position... this strikes me as rostering the best of what we had to choose from, within reason, and I expect to see some proactive steps taken to continue to massage this roster into something respectable.

thought Powell would stick and maybe Owusu both disappointing to me. Another year of Kerley punt returns is going to make me sick. A good punt returner is very important to having good field position and I think Powell would have been at least a good one since Kerley was just terrible.

Agree field position overlooked by many

That kid isn't a vested veteran. So if they really liked him, they could sign him for however long Geno is out and then cut him and try to stash him on the practice squad. Not that he would make sense as the backup over Petty, who's been here since the draft. 

Archived