Observations and Comparisons from Patriots/Steelers

varjet

As I watched most of the game last night I was thinking about how the Jets compare to both teams.

I watched Gronk and Chandler give a show on the effectiveness of the two tight end offense, but then realized that their primary WRs are on the small side-Edelman at 5-10, Amendola at 5-11, both generous.  The Jets may not have functional TEs at this point, but our larger WRs should create matchups.  But that being said, maybe what we lack are shifty WRs that can find seems like Edelman and Amendola can.  I guess that is Kerley's job, if he is given it.

The Patriots were starting two rookie OL.  Why can't we find 1 over the last 5 years?

Steelers speedy young LBs looked impressive.  This Dupree guy will be good.  

Given that the Jets basically have at least 5 DL who are excellent to very good, the 3-4 continues to elude me.  Someone is going to tell me that the Jets basically run a 4-3 anyway.  It would nice to have some fast LBs to complement the bulk upfront.  I know Bowles has a plan, and I can't wait to see it.

All in all I am pleased with the Current Braintrust and direction.  I think they understand football and have made some very solid decisions and moves.  However, in addition to the Geno Smith jaw and Richardson lightening strikes, the team did start with a talent base which was even worse than I thought it was.  We should be prepared for some ups and downs this year, and my expectation is for more wins than last year and fewer if any blowouts.  If we can do that, I will be happy.  The personnel moves made next year will be the true test of where the Jets are headed.

We can easily run against the Pats. Easily. I think our offense will be fine. It's covering the TE and getting to Brady that we need to do. Brady has always had his way with the Steelers defense. We can beat the Pats. Just can't make all those mental errors that the Steelers did. That's all it comes down to.

I wasn't overly impressed with either team.  The double pass to kill the first drive was a total disaster and changed the momentum of the entire game.   

It will be interesting to see the Jets big CB's try to slow down edelman and amendola.   I wouldn't be surprised to see Cromartie on Gronk when he lines up outside.   

What the hell happened to the steel curtain?  

I wasn't overly impressed with either team.  The double pass to kill the first drive was a total disaster and changed the momentum of the entire game.   

It will be interesting to see the Jets big CB's try to slow down edelman and amendola.   I wouldn't be surprised to see Cromartie on Gronk when he lines up outside.   

I agree. The Steelers defense was unimpressive.

Dick Lebeau took it with him

Didn't they get Skrine for Edelman and Amendola?  I agree that I would like to see Cromartie on Gronkowski from time to time.  I also wasn't impressed with either team, but it is week 1.  It is hard to know exactly what all this means. Maybe the Pats O is just that good.  Maybe the Pats D is sh*t, or maybe they just bend but don't break.  Tough to tell 

As I watched most of the game last night I was thinking about how the Jets compare to both teams.

I watched Gronk and Chandler give a show on the effectiveness of the two tight end offense, but then realized that their primary WRs are on the small side-Edelman at 5-10, Amendola at 5-11, both generous.  The Jets may not have functional TEs at this point, but our larger WRs should create matchups.  But that being said, maybe what we lack are shifty WRs that can find seems like Edelman and Amendola can.  I guess that is Kerley's job, if he is given it.

The Patriots were starting two rookie OL.  Why can't we find 1 over the last 5 years?

Steelers speedy young LBs looked impressive.  This Dupree guy will be good.  

Given that the Jets basically have at least 5 DL who are excellent to very good, the 3-4 continues to elude me.  Someone is going to tell me that the Jets basically run a 4-3 anyway.  It would nice to have some fast LBs to complement the bulk upfront.  I know Bowles has a plan, and I can't wait to see it.

All in all I am pleased with the Current Braintrust and direction.  I think they understand football and have made some very solid decisions and moves.  However, in addition to the Geno Smith jaw and Richardson lightening strikes, the team did start with a talent base which was even worse than I thought it was.  We should be prepared for some ups and downs this year, and my expectation is for more wins than last year and fewer if any blowouts.  If we can do that, I will be happy.  The personnel moves made next year will be the true test of where the Jets are headed.

Are the Jets moving to more of a 5-2 or something like that? Like lots of nickel, like the rest of the league?

Didn't they get Skrine for Edelman and Amendola?  I agree that I would like to see Cromartie on Gronkowski from time to time.  I also wasn't impressed with either team, but it is week 1.  It is hard to know exactly what all this means. Maybe the Pats O is just that good.  Maybe the Pats D is sh*t, or maybe they just bend but don't break.  Tough to tell 

Pats are definitely bend but don't break.  It seems like every year teams can move the ball at will from 20 -> 20 and they tighten up around the redzone and hold for field goals.

Skrine and Revis on the little white dudes and Cromartie on Gronk when he lines up outside.  The Pats offense always seems to find a way to exploit matchups vs. the Jets.  I still remember Harris trying to cover a RB (faulk?) out of the backfield for something like an 80-yd TD.   

I think the Jets will be ok vs. the Pats this year.   It still comes down to the QB but after every analyst predicted b/w 4-6 wins I think this team is actually going to be pretty good.     

I only watched part of the 1st half as I couldn't stomach watching those A-Holes or even worse the Patriot love fest from Collingsworth. My observations are that we'll run Chris Ivory for 200 yards that day. On defense 1st we better have Cro up on the LOS and not 10 yards back. A lot of Brady's outside passes were quick hits to the sideline with a Pittsburgh CB not even close. They also like that Bunch formation where Edelman or somebody slants in and gets 10 yards. Can we please put DB's on the LOS to stuff and disrupt this?

Gronk is a huge problem and I don't think we have an answer for it. Our LB's are old and slow. Maybe Pryor will show up by that week. I want to see if Rexie can find a solution on week 2. I need Bowles to show me something when this game rolls around.

Pats are definitely bend but don't break.  It seems like every year teams can move the ball at will from 20 -> 20 and they tighten up around the redzone and hold for field goals.

Skrine and Revis on the little white dudes and Cromartie on Gronk when he lines up outside.  The Pats offense always seems to find a way to exploit matchups vs. the Jets.  I still remember Harris trying to cover a RB (faulk?) out of the backfield for something like an 80-yd TD.   

I think the Jets will be ok vs. the Pats this year.   It still comes down to the QB but after every analyst predicted b/w 4-6 wins I think this team is actually going to be pretty good.     

Yeah, I don't disagree.  The key is not making mistakes.  It is one thing to get beat, it is another to roll over and blow assignments.  That is what the Steelers did leaving Gronkowski alone outside. I don't remember Harris on Faulk, but I remember Antonio Allen newly returned to safety showing no zone discipline and letting Vereen coast for 80 last season.  We can't afford mistakes like that, our O probably isn't good enough.

Stupid thought but could David Harris be on the D-Line in a situation like that?

I don't know. 

My understand, from reading stuff here, is that a guy like Coples or Mauldin would come up to the l.o.s. and Harris / Demorrio would be the 2 LBs. I guess we'll see how it plays out.

Dick Lebeau left.  He has been there forever and it will be seen that he has been the glue for that franchise's defense.

I remember Bart Scott on Vareen for an 80 yrd td on that Thanksgiving game where Sanchez had the butt fumble.....New England is very good at creating or taking advantage of mismatches, but how Pittsburgh could just not bother covering Gronk on a handful of plays was crazy.

Sent from my SM-N915T using Tapatalk

Cro can't cover Gronk. Gronk is that much bigger and strong. And you forget b.lafell didnt play, S.Chandler is going to be used and the pats used their 3rd down back to catch out of the backfield alot!

Plus like someone said already. Its week 1, how are u going to assess a team you are playing in week 7.

Most teams look diff by that time. 

New England playing two tight ends and shorter receivers isn't that much of a surprise. It's against the grain of the way the rest of the league is pretty much set up where your most athletic and tall players cover the outside but your inside is not as agile and shorter , it mismatched the whole defense. It's going to be hard to get anyone to match is up properly 

Jets have to control the clock. Keep Brady cold. They march downfield quickly applying even more stress to the D for substitutions. Have to play situational D against them using lineups on the field for yardage situations.

get pressure on Brady. Make him move in the pocket preferably to his left or back. The Jets can run the rock. No doubt a couple of deep completions to speedy number 84 will have them on their heels.

Lebeau was a huge loss for the steelers 

The biggest loss they have had in forever. And even though the LB coach who has been under him for many years is still there, it's not Lebeau. That guy was able to have a crazy D no matter who they lost in FA and who the HC was.  A truly special coach.

The Steelers have speedy LBs but their secondary and DL are horrendous.  The Pats have great lbs, but didn't seem to have good interior dl or cbs.  Generally speaking their D, even last year with an allstar cb lot (Revis, Browner, Arrington) gave up huge chunks of yards, but I get the feeling they are designed that way.  There is a lot of baiting going on, where teams get overconfident and then throw a few bad picks after 80 yard drives.  Even last night I counted several plays that should have been picks.

The Jets, under Rex, were more about 3 and done.  They stuff the run, play man and shut down receivers and just generally are more dominant.  But you will notice they don't get many turnovers. In the end, the thing that matters is points scored, and the bend but don't break D can be effective as we've seen.

Archived