Jets Secondary on Worst run Since ’86

JetNation

Don't agree with this quote in the article:

The good news for Bowles and the Jets is that next up is Rex Ryan and the Buffalo Bills who rely more on the run than the pass with an unproven Tyrod Taylor under center and a team that’s thin at wide receiver after former Jet Percy Harvin was placed on season-ending IR last week.

Not sure which Bills team is being discussed here.  Yes, the Bills relied heavily on the run last week, but that was probably because Tyrod was just coming back from injury (even then he attempted 12 passes and ran it 10 times).  In Weeks 2-4, Taylor attempted 30, 29, and 42 passes.  Against Tennessee in Week 5, he only attempted 17 passes, but he also ran it 8 times.  The Bills are very comfortable keeping it in Taylor's hands.

And with Shady suffering a shoulder injury on Sunday and our secondary struggling, they likely will rely even more heavily on Taylor.  I don't expect Karlos Williams to tear us up like he did against Miami.

Not sure which Bills team is being discussed here.  Yes, the Bills relied heavily on the run last week, but that was probably because Tyrod was just coming back from injury (even then he attempted 12 passes and ran it 10 times).  In Weeks 2-4, Taylor attempted 30, 29, and 42 passes.  Against Tennessee in Week 5, he only attempted 17 passes, but he also ran it 8 times.  The Bills are very comfortable keeping it in Taylor's hands.

And with Shady suffering a shoulder injury on Sunday and our secondary struggling, they likely will rely even more heavily on Taylor. 

I could be wrong, and we'll find out on Thursday, but I think they've thrown it as much as they have because of Shady's hamstring.  He looked healthy yesterday coming off of a bye week and I think Rex is going to go back to ground and pound with two healthy RB's.  Still have to wait and see how bad Shady's sholuder is though.

I hope I'm wrong, because if Tyrod Taylor comes in here and throws for 330 then this team is in trouble.

Cro still has some speed so why the hell cant he play closer to the line.  3rd and 7 or 3rd in one and he is so far off the line. Stop worrying about getting burned because you are getting burned on the double moves.

Revis....WR

Williams...WR

Cro..................................WR

I dont want to lose to REX but we made the Jaguars look like a contender.  Their mistakes are why we won as much as anything.

We are banged up and it shows.     Is there a spread Thursday ?  I imagine we are 3 point favs just for homefield.

Their mistakes? Calvin Pace making a great play to strip the ball from Bortles is not a Jaguars mistake - its a great play in a big spot by the defense. 

Their mistakes? Calvin Pace making a great play to strip the ball from Bortles is not a Jaguars mistake - its a great play in a big spot by the defense. 

I agree.  The secondary locked up the WR's and Bortles had no where to go.

I could be wrong, and we'll find out on Thursday, but I think they've thrown it as much as they have because of Shady's hamstring.  He looked healthy yesterday coming off of a bye week and I think Rex is going to go back to ground and pound with two healthy RB's.  Still have to wait and see how bad Shady's sholuder is though.

I hope I'm wrong, because if Tyrod Taylor comes in here and throws for 330 then this team is in trouble.

Hard to say.  I don't think Shady has been 100 % all season.  They rushed him back from that hamstring injury.  Shady was supposedly healthy yesterday but Karlos Williams outperformed him.

Hard to say.  I don't think Shady has been 100 % all season.  They rushed him back from that hamstring injury.  Shady was supposedly healthy yesterday but Karlos Williams outperformed him.

Yep...I think they both played well enough for Rex to rely heavily on them and ask Taylor to throw it less.  Even still, he poses a threat with his legs.

Man..they can not lose this game.

And with Shady suffering a shoulder injury on Sunday and our secondary struggling, they likely will rely even more heavily on Taylor.  I don't expect Karlos Williams to tear us up like he did against Miami.

The Bills offense is carrying that team... Roman knows enough to attack us where we are weak. 

So, unless Rex overrules him and insists on beating our star-studded D-Line with his ground and pound running game... they will throw on us a ton. That said, I could totally see Rex insecurely trying to prove that he made the Jets run defense better than Bowles has.

Either way, I'm banking on the Bills not having control of their emotions and giving us 150 yards in penalties to put us over the top.

Yep...I think they both played well enough for Rex to rely heavily on them and ask Taylor to throw it less.  Even still, he poses a threat with his legs.

Man..they can not lose this game.

Nope, can't afford it.  If our plans are to reach the postseason this is another game we need to have.  The Jaguar win didn't quite make up for the Oakland loss.  Pittsburgh and Oakland are both nipping at our heels, and of course the Bills would pass us as well with a victory.  The # 5 seed is very valuable because it means a trip to the AFC South winner's house rather than Denver or Cincinnati.

The Bills offense is carrying that team... Roman knows enough to attack us where we are weak. 

So, unless Rex overrules him and insists on beating our star-studded D-Line with his ground and pound running game... they will throw on us a ton. That said, I could totally see Rex insecurely trying to prove that he made the Jets run defense better than Bowles has.

Either way, I'm banking on the Bills not having control of their emotions and giving us 150 yards in penalties to put us over the top.

Agreed with all of this.  One way or another this is the type of game Rex f*cks up roughly 95 % of the time.  I like our chances even with all of our injuries and a short week.

Cro is on the injury report with a hip every week. the hip that killed him 2 years ago and magically looked great in Arizona last year is acting up. 

other secondary injuries include: Calvin Pryor, Dion Bailey, Marcus Gilchrist, Dee Milliner 

The Jets secondary is just banged up. That's the story. 

There are 9 QBs with a passer rating over 100 right now. Another 7 are at 90+. This is an era of football where half the league is putting up video game numbers week in and week out, and it's an anomaly to hold any passing offense down. Anyone who plays the daily fantasy sh*t can tell you that receivers who you've never heard of are catching TDs at a bizarre rate, and even the sh*ttiest QBs are putting up some epic stat lines.

Bench him...Its amazing how he sucked 2 years ago for us, was great in Arizona last year and sucks for us again...WTF

yeah this is it exactly. I was in favor of letting him go two years ago and bringing him back this year so I am  0 for 2 with him also.

Pretty well every single advantage in this game is geared toward receivers or against DB's.  Having said that this area is a huge test for this coaching staff.  Like all coaching staff's they talk about the best players playing.  Cromartie is no the best 2nd CB that we have, he has proven it without a shadow of a doubt.  If he is back in there next week expect a minimum of one long td and one other big play against him.

Six TD's allowed by Cro in 8 games...Bowles is in a good spot to bench him vs. Buffalo if he's dinged up on short week.  Beyond that, could get interesting.

Cro has not played well on defense. The good news is that I think Bowles -despite almost certainly being 100% behind his signing after working with him in Arizona- is aware of it. Ordinarily, an $8M CB would be too valuable to use as a KOR. Bowles, though, seems to be looking to get some value out of that contract by putting him back there, not afraid of him getting hurt. He also had Cro on the sidelines on a couple critical downs yesterday. 

Hopefully there's an answer on the bench. Where's McDougle been? Maybe Milliner has been practicing well? They need some help. I agree with those who expect the Bills to throw the ball at the Jets, a lot, with Taylor's running ability being an added problem. 

Six TD's allowed by Cro in 8 games...Bowles is in a good spot to bench him vs. Buffalo if he's dinged up on short week.  Beyond that, could get interesting.

Switch him to offense.  We have no WRs, need a deep ball threat and have a ton of CBs. The CBs are dinged, but they can bring Milliner back.  Problem solved.

Cro has not played well on defense. The good news is that I think Bowles -despite almost certainly being 100% behind his signing after working with him in Arizona- is aware of it. Ordinarily, an $8M CB would be too valuable to use as a KOR. Bowles, though, seems to be looking to get some value out of that contract by putting him back there, not afraid of him getting hurt. He also had Cro on the sidelines on a couple critical downs yesterday. 

Hopefully there's an answer on the bench. Where's McDougle been? Maybe Milliner has been practicing well? They need some help. I agree with those who expect the Bills to throw the ball at the Jets, a lot, with Taylor's running ability being an added problem. 

McDougle didn't get any defensive reps yesterday. The answer is on the bench. They need a healthy Pryor and to give Williams and Walls more reps on the outside. They also need Skrine to get healthy as well. Milliner may help, but who knows. The fact they brought up Miles and not Milliner tells you everything you need to know about what this regime thinks of Milliner.

McDougle didn't get any defensive reps yesterday. The answer is on the bench. They need a healthy Pryor and to give Williams and Walls more reps on the outside. They also need Skrine to get healthy as well. Milliner may help, but who knows. The fact they brought up Miles and not Milliner tells you everything you need to know about what this regime thinks of Milliner.

McDougle looked pretty good when he did get on the field, I thought. Guess the coaches feel otherwise. While having Milliner and McDougle both suck adds more fuel to the Idzik dumpster fire, it'd be nicer if they could get something out of the former first and third round picks. 

If they put Milliner on season ending IR, wow, I don't even know. 

OK.....      but there are many more plays that JAGS simply didnt execute.  We gave them the ball back twice with 3 minutes left.

Up by 12 with 5 minutes and they score so fast ..I was taking a pi$$.  

I dont want to lose to REX but we made the Jaguars look like a contender.  Their mistakes are why we won as much as anything.

We are banged up and it shows.     Is there a spread Thursday ?  I imagine we are 3 point favs just for homefield.

Actually I think we beat the up pretty good and if not for a few mistakes and a late meaningless garbage time TD the game isn't even close.  Of course we camps always complain that the Jags should have made more plays and then could have won.  Which of course can be said about any and every team in the NFL.  Hey, if we make a few more plays we beat the Pats, does that mean they should have lost?  

it could be they brought miles up instead of milliner because they were thin at safety, not corner. I believe it tells us nothing about how the regime feels about milliner

What does Miles playing, given that Pryor is out have to do with what they think of Milliner?  They activated a safety.  They needed help at safety.  

Actually I think we beat the up pretty good and if not for a few mistakes and a late meaningless garbage time TD the game isn't even close.  Of course we camps always complain that the Jags should have made more plays and then could have won.  Which of course can be said about any and every team in the NFL.  Hey, if we make a few more plays we beat the Pats, does that mean they should have lost?  

Thursday will tell us a lot.

it could be they brought miles up instead of milliner because they were thin at safety, not corner. I believe it tells us nothing about how the regime feels about milliner

What does Miles playing, given that Pryor is out have to do with what they think of Milliner?  They activated a safety.  They needed help at safety.  

The Jets are thin at both with Skrine and Cro both banged up. Yes, the Jets are thin at safety, but Bowles also said that Milliner had practiced there a bit. The fact he hasn't been activated at all says a ton. The fact they haven't committed to activating him this week says a ton.

Archived