Don't bring Fitzpatrick back

cookiemonsta

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He tied Aaron Rodgers for 10th with 31 TDs. He had a 2:1 TD to INT ratio; what most of us asked for. 

29th in completion percentage

15th in passing yards

10th in passing TDs

5th most Ints

24th in QB rating. 

Great season? What did I miss? Perhaps the best WR duo? It was an average season in today's football that happened to be a franchise record setter. 

That's the thing. Even if you don't want him starting next year, it makes no sense to advocate dumping him. The soundbyte about him starting is whatever... He earned that this year, but the coaches are going to play the best QB they get their hands on. Regardless of December 2015 remarks.

Yep. And the best QB may very well be him again. And I think I'm okay with that--certainly more okay than having Sanchez as "the best chance to win".

Eww.

Geno will have one more shot to supplant Fitz during training camp and pre-season and Petty will have a chance to show if he's ready yet. I don't have a whole lot of hope for either of those, nor do I have any hope for any potential QB we draft to be ready to start year 1. So I wouldn't be surprised if it's Fitz starting again. Even if not starting, Fitz is still way too valuable as a backup to warrant letting go.

That's the plan UNTIL they feel Petty is ready...I think.  There's just no word on how they feel he's progressed.  Fitz was primarily signed to be mentor to Geno (cough).   After seeing firsthand what a putz Geno was, they quickly handed the keys to Fitz who did a fine job considering all things.   A tweak here, a tweak there, a RB here a RB there, a wr here a OLB there, a T here and there and away we go.  

Fitz was a backup until Geno got hurt. Due to a weak schedule, we started winning games n Bowles never looked back. 

Geno outplayed Fiyz the entire off season. Let that sink in. 

If I had a dollar for every QB that was coming out of college that was the next great thing. I would have a lot of dollars.

If I had a dollar for every QB that has had a great season for the Jets in the last 20 years, I would have maybe 3 dollars. Bring back Fitz and fix the running game. Let's go.

The problem I have is that this is not an accurate statement. Fitz did NOT have a great season.

We have been a run first defensive oriented team for 16 years. In that 16 years the NFL has completely changed offensively, from rules to promote offense, to better players. to better schemes.

When you couple the teams philosophy with a progression of pretty average to bad QBs, you wind up with a situation where Jets QBs have essentially done nothing from a statistics standpoint as the NFL passed them by.

So Fitz had an extremely low bar to jump over to set Jets records, And he did that. So compared to previous Jets QBs he had a "great" year.

But in today's NFL his performance was very AVERAGE, and very much bolstered by a super easy schedule and the best #1/#2 WR combo in the NFL. 

Quite simply Jets fans are deluding themselves in thinking he had a great year. He played well, but average. And he is very very unlikely to be even average next year.

Bringing back Fitz at short money to compete for the starting spot is fine. To annoint him is completely foolish. He is still a JAG

I think the browns will offer him about a billion dollars and he will take it

No he will stay here. He's a very smart man and very well off. He's found success here and this team is on the upswing. He'll get a fair contract from Mac. He can start next year and after that, return to being a back up/mentor as was initially planned. I have no problem with him starting the next year or two.  He far exceeded expectations this past year.   Who wouldn't have signed off on 10 wins, 31 TD's from Fitzy and being so close to making the playoffs this year.  Enuf of this bullsh*t talk that it was his fault.  This defense let this team down, not Fitzy.     

Fitz was a backup until Geno got hurt. Due to a weak schedule, we started winning games n Bowles never looked back. 

Fiyz had a broken leg pretty much the entire off season. Let that sink in. 

This is why Bowles' comment stating Fitz is the starter next season worries me.  I don't enjoy knocking Fitz.  He was a pleasant surprise much of the season.  Played decently and with heart.  But as seen throughout the season and especially the last game, he is severely limited.  

Why guarantee him the starting gig?  If Geno or Petty out plays Fitz in camp, play them.  Fitz can always go back in if needed.

yea ok hopefully the brain they put in your head will sink into place after your brain surgery.  

15th in passing yards

10th in passing TDs

5th most Ints

24th in QB rating. 

Great season? What did I miss? It was an average season in today's football that happened to be a franchise record setter. 

Average NFL QB season = Super Awesome Most Exciting Jets QB season.

This franchise have been wholly and truly ****ed awfully by QBs for a loooong time. One mediocre guy comes in and we're like:

https://media1.giphy.com/media/yidUzHnBk32Um9aMMw/200.gif

The problem I have is that this is not an accurate statement. Fitz did NOT have a great season.

We have been a run first defensive oriented team for 16 years. In that 16 years the NFL has completely changed offensively, from rules to promote offense, to better players. to better schemes.

When you couple the teams philosophy with a progression of pretty average to bad QBs, you wind up with a situation where Jets QBs have essentially done nothing from a statistics standpoint as the NFL passed them by.

So Fitz had an extremely low bar to jump over to set Jets records, And he did that. So compared to previous Jets QBs he had a "great" year.

But in today's NFL his performance was very AVERAGE, and very much bolstered by a super easy schedule and the best #1/#2 WR combo in the NFL. 

Quite simply Jets fans are deluding themselves in thinking he had a great year. He played well, but average. And he is very very unlikely to be even average next year.

Bringing back Fitz at short money to compete for the starting spot is fine. To annoint him is completely foolish. He is still a JAG

He may be a JAG, but he is my favorite JAG.

And I'd kill to have him replicate that "average" season again next year.

he didn't have a great year. His numbers were right in the middle of the pack. He had a good year. Great when you compare him with Jets QBs, which isn't saying much with the era he's in. 

The Jets won 10 games, he broke the franchise record for TD passes came with a hair of the yardage record.  I guess Geno had the best off season a Jets QB ever had, till he got clocked. Really I the love Jets, some of the "fans" I'm not sure about.

15th in passing yards

10th in passing TDs

5th most Ints

24th in QB rating. 

Great season? What did I miss? Perhaps the best WR duo? It was an average season in today's football that happened to be a franchise record setter. 

He had aa very good season. BTW, are watching AJ McCarron NOT use AJ Green and Eiffert tonight. Don't blame Fitz because Mac made a good trade for Marshall. That's not fair. 

And as to your original point; you really want to start a rookie at QB? I mean honestly, that's what you want to do? There's no Andrew Luck out there you know. 

This is why Bowles' comment stating Fitz is the starter next season worries me.  I don't enjoy knocking Fitz.  He was a pleasant surprise much of the season.  Played decently and with heart.  But as seen throughout the season and especially the last game, he is severely limited.  

Why guarantee him the starting gig?  If Geno or Petty out plays Fitz in camp, play them.  Fitz can always go back in if needed.

Geno couldn't outplay Fitz's 8 year old son in chess.     http://www.nfl.com/videos/houston-texans/0ap3000000436946/Fitzpatrick-s-son-gives-a-math-lesson

He may be a JAG, but he is my favorite JAG.

And I'd kill to have him replicate that "average" season again next year.

Not happening. He won't be playing against bottom of the barrel Ds for 12 games again next year. 

Fitz better be on a steady dose of HGH this offseason.  He's a decent QB other than his wuss of an arm and accuracy downfield.

If he can't somehow fix that (and wouldn't he already have if he could've?), it's pretty much a waste to bring him back as the intended starter while paying him as such.  It'll just be sustaining mediocrity.  No thanks.

Now if we can sign him for 3/4 years as a good backup/mentor who may start much of the time, for like 6mil a year, that'd be cool.  Start Fitz if needed but do every damn thing possible to get someone with more upside in there.  I don't care who it is (Geno, Petty, Vinny, Boomer).  

Fitz as a backup/mentor is an asset.  Fitz as guaranteed starter is a washqdefault.thumb.jpg.01daed57d1060c9880c8

lol, all this over "anointing", because he hasn't earned starter until proven otherwise status?

You guys are building this whole argument over semantics of how serious to take a vote of confidence by the coach on the last day of the previous season.

Petty out dueled him in the bowl game they faced each other though Baylor lost due to their idiot coach who gave the game away.

New York Jets: Connor Cook, QB, Michigan State

image: http://walterfootball.com/college/MichiganState_logo.gif

MichiganState_logo.gif
The Jets need a long-term starter at quarterback for Todd Bowles. When it mattered the most, Ryan Fitzpatrick gave New York proof that he's just a backup in the NFL. Cook has the athleticism to fit Chan Gailey's offense.

Cook connected on 56 percent passes this year for 3,131 yards with 24 touchdowns and seven interceptions. He's shown NFL evaluators that he has a quality arm, pocket presence, flashes of brilliant passes, and the mobility to avoid rushers and roll out. However, Cook's lack of accuracy is real problem heading into the NFL. Sources also have questions about him off the field, his lack of leadership, and his focus on football.

The 6-foot-4, 218-pounder plays in a pro-style system and has shown steady improvement with his ability to function in the pocket while working through his progressions. There is that accuracy issue however. He will make some amazing throws into extremely tight windows and then miss on routine passes.

In 2014, Cook connected on 58 percent of his passes for 3,214 yards with 24 touchdowns and eight interceptions. He completed 59 percent of his passes in 2013 for 2,755 yards with 22 touchdowns and six interceptions. Cook improved throughout that season and was very impressive against Ohio State and Stanford to close out the year.
Read more at http://walterfootball.com/draft2016overreaction_1.php#crKqz0xAhWdovVWH.99

Glad you brought it up. Of all of Connors weaknesses, and I actually like him as a developmental pick, his accuracy is the most glaring one. 

Glad you brought it up. Of all of Connors weaknesses, and I actually like him as a developmental pick, his accuracy is the most glaring one. 

So what is this guy talking about who started this thread?  Connor Cook? No thanks. Petty outshined him.  Kid got game. 

You should know

Comparing Petty with Connor is like comparing Manning vs Brady in the games they play against each other. They play against different Ds, which makes the whole argument moot. That's why I said, having a brain is better than not having one, Chowchow!

Qb is the position where you need winners,8 basically full years and no playoffs at all. When you start with losers at the qb position, you basically have no chance in the NFL. 

I want improvements at olb, tight end ( hopefully Amaro ) and qb. Get Powell back, and draft a late round rb.

Name all the teams that he played on and his play kept them out of the playoffs.  

Cousins has had good success in the NFL and Cook has a way better ability than Cousins. It would be a mistake to pass on a winner like him, similar to Teddy Bridgewater .

MichiganState_logo.gif Connor Cook, QB, Michigan State  
Height: 6-4. Weight: 218.  
Projected 40 Time: 4.60. 
Projected Round (2016): 1-3. 

1/9/16: Sources say that Cook has good height, weight and delivery, but a number of evaluators don't really like him. They think he's too inaccurate and question his lack of leadership with his team not voting him a team captain. If one highly touted quarterback prospect slides like others have in years past, Cook could be the prime candidate
Read more at http://walterfootball.com/draft2016QB.php#rmT5yH2cX0XferDc.99

Archived