Arian Foster to Jets ? ? ?

kelly

Although Arian Foster no longer fit the Houston Texans' plans, he fully intends to play next season.He’ll be 30 years old in August, which increases the chances of injury. But if a team needs a bridge veteran with elite vision who can teach younger players about patience and how to be effective in the passing game, Foster could be that guy.

The Texans save $6.6 million in salary-cap space by releasing Foster, and at a lower salary he could be a boon for a team. Foster started jogging last month as part of his rehabilitation from a torn Achilles tendon in October. Foster’s surgery was on Nov. 1.According to a source, Foster is ahead of schedule in his rehab and should be ready in plenty of time for training camp.

Here’s a look at what teams might want him  :

~ ~   New York Jets

With no healthy, proven running backs under contract, the Jets have to keep an open mind at the position. General manager Mike Maccagnan, a former Texans scouting executive, watched Foster grow up in the Houston organization. Foster’s age and durability are concerns, but the Maccagnan connection makes him a back-burner option in the event they lose Chris Ivory and/or Bilal Powell in free agency. Obviously, a lot depends on Foster’s health and price tag. -- Rich Cimini

rest of above article  : 

http://espn.go.com/blog/houston-texans/post/_/id/15642/broncos-seahawks-among-teams-that-could-take-a-chance-on-arian-foster

Don't think he would come cheap enough, I also do not want to go through the whole Ridley thing from last year, despite the fact they say he will be ready for camp I hated waiting around fro ridely to get healthy all that time and then he jagged around once he got playing time.

Awesome, he'll be a fantasy stud for 3 games ... but then get hurt and we'll be like WTF do we do now.

No, this team needs to get younger, and signing a 30 year old RB that hasn't played a full season in a couple years (I think) is not how to accomplish that.

I'd rather have Forte, but Foster with an incentive laden contract would be an awesome check down for Fitzy. If teams aren't breaking a players bank they look to go where they think they'll be most comfortable. 

I'd love Ezekiel but I think getting some fast LBs are more important to our success next year. 

You hedge your bets with a draft pick but each year there are players thrown on the scrap heap recuperating with injuries. Who's to say the Patriots don't sign Ivory & he tears us a new azzhole next year?

There are too many free agent RBs this year for them to all be overpriced. Would I prefer Miller or Martin? Of course but with our cap being tight we'll probably have to take a couple of chances on some oft injured guys with incentive laden contracts. 

Ridley didn't work out but who knows how Foster rebounds?

This seems so far fetched...

honestly, I think his career may be over. That's the next thing I expected to hear about a 30-year-old running back coming off Achilles tear, a two year injury. I believe he will be viewed as a zero guaranteed money kind of guy the rest of any career he may have.

The Jets need a running back. That’s obvious. Both Bilal Powell and Chris Ivory are slated to be unrestricted free agents on March 9th, and early indications are each will be allowed to test the free-agent waters.

What that leaves is Dri Archer, Dominique Williams and Zac Stacyas the lone backs under contract entering next season.

Again, reiterating, the Jets need a running back.

… could Arian Foster be that guy?

Foster, 29, will be hitting the free-agent market for the first time in his seven-year  career  following his release from the Texans on Thursday. For the majority of Foster’s career, he’s been one of the NFL’s best backs. From 2010 through 2012, Foster ran for 4,264 yards and 41 touchdowns. He caught an additional 159 passes for 1,438 yards and another six scores. He was versatile, dynamic, electric. It led to Pro Bowl appearances in each of those three seasons, and a first-team, all-pro honor in 2010.But as of late, injuries have taken their toll on the back. After that incredible three-year stretch, he’s followed it with another three that have been anything but. Of a possible 48 games from 2013-2015, Foster has appeared in  just 25. He suffered a back injury in 2013, missed three games in 2014, and ruptured his Achilles tendon last year.

He hasn’t played a full 16 games since 2012. Last season, he ran for just 163 yards, adding 227 more as a receiver, in four games before suffering his injury.Now, does this mean the Jets shouldn’t be interested? Absolutely not. If the price is right, why not kick the tires?Even at his age, Foster can still play. While durability is without a doubt a question, and he’s likely best if paired with another, few are as well-rounded as the former Tennessee product.He can run, he can catch, he can block. He’s a veteran and a leader. The only issue with a potential Jets/Foster marriage is, again, finances.As things stand right now, the Jets have near $7 million in cap space. That’s not a lot, especially when factoring in the fact the team has yet to re-sign quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick or nose tackle Damon Harrison.

The Jets, right now, simply can’t afford giving Foster a contract that pays the back $6 or $7 million a year, nor would it be in the team’s best interest to stretch that deal out over three or four years to lessen the financial burden, simply because of Foster’s injury history.What that leaves is a match that works perfectly well in a dream world, but maybe not so much in reality.If, and it’s a big if, Foster agreed to a price the Jets could afford, why not bring him to Florham Park? The thing is, though… it’s a bit hard to see that happening.

>    http://jetswire.usatoday.com/2016/03/04/should-the-jets-sign-released-texans-rb-arian-foster/

I love Foster, he is one of my favorite players. I have been saying for awhile now that I think Macc is going to bring him in I just hope he doesn't over pay with the injury history and if we do bring Foster in that he isn't guaranteed our starting role. I honestly think Forte who I like less is a better fit and a safer pick for us in free agency.

Archived