Shefter: RGIII VISITING JETS -- MERGED

Maxman

12 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

You have to ask, the facts here are that they had dinner last night.  Obviously there is real interest given they not only had dinner but are continuing the process today.

How do they go from these facts to the Jets focus remains on Fitz?  Do they mean they would sign both?  

• Replies 418
  • Created
  • Last Reply

NFL Network's Albert Breer reports free agent Robert Griffin III's meeting with the Jets will continue Saturday.

Griffin met with the team Friday, had dinner with team officials Friday night, and will continue his visit Saturday. If this is merely a ploy to put pressure on Ryan Fitzpatrick to sign a cut-rate deal, it is certainly an elaborate one. Whether Griffin would be a better starting option than the cheaper Geno Smith if Fitzpatrick bolts in free agency is an open question, but New York appears serious about signing the former Rookie of the Year.

Fitz is being foolish. Hes a 33 year old qb that never had any great success except for last year and this situation suits him. 

I like the guy and dont blame him for exploring options but he might wind up coming back at 5m with his tail between his legs.

if we get rg3 and he is reborn into a player fitz may have done us all a huge favor in the end

1 minute ago, Jet Nut said:

His rookie season, for all who think he always sucked, he completed 66% of his passes, 3200 yards, 20 TDs, 5 INTs, 8.1 per att, QB rating of 102.5.  As a rookie, who won the NFC East and went to the playoffs.  How to some thats Ryan Leaf, Jeff George like as I've seen posted is totally ridiculous.  

With a torn up knee, in 13 games, while not fully rehabbed he "fell" to 61%, 3200 yards, 16 TDs, 12 INTs, 7 per att., QB rating of 82.2

This sucks for some, proves he was a never was.

Meanwhile Fitz was great to some, solid to most with:

59%, 3900 yards, 31 TDs, 15 INTs, 6.9 per att., QB rate of 88

Hard to argue w this.

all I can say is, sometimes, stats lie.

16 hours ago, Warfish said:

Maybe because, as of today at least, RGIII is Ryan Leaf to Luck's Peyton Manning?

3 hours ago, Warfish said:

I have a feeling we're signing RGIII.

I'm wrong (often), so no worries, just have that same sinking feeling I had right before the Jets signed Mike "Dogkiller" Vick.

At least RGIII is just a bust (so far) and a nutcase (to this point), and not a serial animal abuser.  

I can root for RGIII if I have to.

33 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

Very hard to me to judge RGIII because I think Washington screwed him over by starting him in that playoff game when he was not healthy. There is some talent there and it would be interesting to see if Gailey can get it out of him

His rookie season he completed 66% of his passes, 3200 yards, 20 TDs, 5 INTs, 8.1 per att, QB rating of 102.5.  As a rookie, he helped win the NFC East and went to the playoffs.  How is that Ryan Leaf or as you also said Jeff George?  

With a torn up knee in his 2nd season, in 13 games, not fully rehabbed he "fell" to 61%, 3200 yards, 16 TDs, 12 INTs, 7 per att., QB rating of 82.2

Year 3 injured again and he only played 7 games, completed 69% of his passes, 1,700 yards, 4 TDs and 5 INTs, 7.9 per att, QB rating of 87

How does this suck or makes him a bust?  He's dealt with injuries and I could see that being a concern but I dont see his talent the concern

Meanwhile Fitz was great to some, the best since Namath to others and solid to most with:

59%, 3900 yards, 31 TDs, 15 INTs, 6.9 per att., QB rate of 88

I get the appeal and love for what Fitz did a year ago.  But he's not Namath and RGIII isnt Ryan Leaf or Jeff George

even though the jets vising with rg3 does put pressure on fitz to sign, remember that bowles did say he wanted to get younger.  rg3 instead of fitz is indeed younger.  i don't think this meeting is a bluff.  fitz set a jet record for td passes in a season AND THEY STILL DIDN'T MAKE THE PLAYOFFS.  

9 minutes ago, Shadetree said:

Hard to argue w this.

all I can say is, sometimes, stats lie.

Totally agree and I dont like using them, never would to totally make a point other than this is just to say he isnt Jeff George and on any level isnt a Ryan Leaf situation.  He wasnt a scrub QB 

He has talent, has shown it before and if healthy and with Chan, why cant he go back to what he was?  He was awesome.  Leaf and George were embarrassingly bad

I think the interest is real and as Glenn said, Fitz may have well bluffed his way out of a starting gig.  If they sign RG for say somewhere in the 3-5mil range, they can easily inform Fitz that he is no longer the gtd starter day 1 and the contract for 8mil is still on the table if he wants to now come in and compete for the starting position.  There.  Done.  You no longer have starter leverage in this league Fitz.

If we sign RG3 and let Fitz walk the circus is back in town, the media will destroy us. They will feed on every word he says and everything he does wrong. They will bash Mac, Bowles and the entire organization.Mark my words. I know some won't agre but think about it.

12 minutes ago, FTL Jet Fan said:

If we sign RG3 and let Fitz walk the circus is back in town, the media will destroy us. They will feed on every word he says and everything he does wrong. They will bash Mac, Bowles and the entire organization.Mark my words. I know some won't agre but think about it.

Are you kidding? The media would love a "name" like RG3 in NY

14 minutes ago, FTL Jet Fan said:

What front office have you been following?  The grown ups are in charge, Sheldon's drag racing, Geno's broken Jaw, Fitz's thumb-less left hand, Rex Ryan beating the Jets in their own house, plenty of circus material from last year and the media tried but failed to make fire out of any of these things.  There is no circus when professionals are in the building trying to build a successful organization.  

2 hours ago, Irish Jet said:

you'd have to think the experience of the last few years will have humbled him.

Wouldn't hate it. Would certainly watch with interest. Assuming we keep the pieces we have in place he'd not be walking into a bad situation.

To be honest, this is my only reservation. Yeah he was injured and can be injured again and I am sure Jets will do their due diligince about his knee but is RG3 humbled after the past few years? Does he have the fire to turn his career around? If the answer is yes, I would sign him. The guy has talent. 

49 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

RGIII isnt Ryan Leaf or Jeff George

You don't have to convince me.  You'd have to convince Washington, because everyone here thinks he's a mega-bust, one of if not the most disappointing Washington players in their history.  He was a nutcase more worries in that rookie year about "establishing his brand" than playig football, a guy who undercut coaches because he was in man-love with the meddling Owner.  A guy who pushed himself back far too quickly, some say for marketing not football reasons, and couldn't play at anything approaching quality levels since that injury.  A guy who has no idea how to not get hit in the NFL, and a guy who gets hurt every time he gets hit.  

I can look up his Stats just fine, thanks.  Stats don't tell the tale with RGIII, and he most certainly will live on in DC history alongside the Ryan Leaf's and Jeff Georges of the world. 

By the way, might want to look up Georges stats too, RGIII can't touch Jeff George's best years.  Doesn't change that George was 10 pounds of talent stuck with 2 ounces of brains.  Thus far, thats the call on RGIII.

9 minutes ago, JETSfaninNE said:

What front office have you been following?  The grown ups are in charge, Sheldon's drag racing, Geno's broken Jaw, Fitz's thumb-less left hand, Rex Ryan beating the Jets in their own house, plenty of circus material from last year and the media tried but failed to make fire out of any of these things.  There is no circus when professionals are in the building trying to build a successful organization.  

I agree 100% but if we sign RG3,to compete with Geno and Petty and don't bring in a viable option at QB we will get destroyed by the media. They will blame it on Mac and Bowles. I have heard it already from Pat Kitwan and that big Douche Ross Tucker. Can you imagine our media Dick C and Manish.

1 hour ago, The Crusher said:

Sadly I would take Fitz over all 3 of those.  Yet, pretty sure we have seen the best of FitZ.

Wasn't Fitz just as terrible at age 26. What has Fitz done successfully without Gailey?  

51 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

He has talent, has shown it before and if healthy and with Chan, why cant he go back to what he was?  He was awesome.  Leaf and George were embarrassingly bad

What I'd say is embarrassing is your lack of knowledge of Jeff George.

Let me remind you of Georges best year (to compare with RGIII's best year you posted):

9-7, 60% Comp., 4,143 Yards, 24 TD's, 11 INT's.  Lost in Wildcard Game.

Talent might get you one great year (and George had more than one, production wise if not record wise), but it takes brains and the right kind of motivation too.  George lacked it, and thus far RGIII lacks it.  We'll see if RGIII can change.  But he must change, alot, to be worth anything to anyone.

2 minutes ago, Warfish said:

What I'd say is embarrassing is your lack of knowledge of Jeff George.

Let me remind you of Georges best year (to compare with RGIII's best year you posted):

9-7, 60% Comp., 4,143 Yards, 24 TD's, 11 INT's.  Lost in Wildcard Game.

Talent might get you one great year (and George had more than one, production wise if not record wise), but it takes brains and the right kind of motivation too.  George lacked it, and thus far RGIII lacks it.  We'll see if RGIII can change.  But he must change, alot, to be worth anything to anyone.

Lets keep the discussion in this millenium!

Ok?....Ok!

9 minutes ago, Ghost said:

I think this rumor is legit and not a smokescreen, especially if they're meeting in that diner Rex met with Revis' agents a couple years back in NY. 

That was Tanny not Rex who some believe was actually the Jets GM..;)

51 minutes ago, Warfish said:

You don't have to convince me.  You'd have to convince Washington, because everyone here thinks he's a mega-bust, one of if not the most disappointing Washington players in their history.  He was a nutcase more worries in that rookie year about "establishing his brand" than playig football, a guy who undercut coaches because he was in man-love with the meddling Owner.  A guy who pushed himself back far too quickly, some say for marketing not football reasons, and couldn't play at anything approaching quality levels since that injury.  A guy who has no idea how to not get hit in the NFL, and a guy who gets hurt every time he gets hit.  

I can look up his Stats just fine, thanks.  Stats don't tell the tale with RGIII, and he most certainly will live on in DC history alongside the Ryan Leaf's and Jeff Georges of the world. 

By the way, might want to look up Georges stats too, RGIII can't touch Jeff George's best years.  Doesn't change that George was 10 pounds of talent stuck with 2 ounces of brains.  Thus far, thats the call on RGIII.

The NFL, MLB, NBA, NHL is littered with fanbases who hate really good players, tell everyone that they couldnt wait to dump someone.  The last way I would rank players are by the way a fanbase blames or loves a player.  Chicago fans hate Marshall.  Blamed him for everything.  Better yet the Chicago press hated him and blamed him for the Bears lousy record.  

Wonder how many in Washington thought RGIII was a dick or a bust when he was a Heisman winner drafted by the skins, when he was the rookie or the year, when he was taking the league by storm, when he led the skins to the NFCE title, played when he should have sat putting his body on the line and when he played in the playoffs injured.  Bet the house the fanbase wasnt hoping the Skins would dump him at that time.  Funny how fanbases get when the players on his way out or out.

Stats werent just for you.  They were for anyone who thinks Fitz was a godsend, who thinks he put up historically great numbers while claiming RGIII a bust.  Because its just not true.  No one, anywhere who watched RGIII and Leaf should compare him to Ryan Leaf.  And if they did they should never be seriously allowed to talk QB play.  Its ridiculous, Leaf was a total bust, one of the biggest busts of all time.  I also could care less about someone being a total dick as a QB.  Bradys a dick, Marino was a dick, Elway was a dick, lots of these guys are dicks.  

27 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

I also could care less about someone being a total dick as a QB.   

Then you'd love the Jeff George and RGIII of the world.  

Like some NFL coaches, you clearly believe in the "I can fix them" theory of signing  head-case busts because :Potential:

The Hubris, that you know more about RGIII than anyone here in Washington could, folks who actually watched every snap he took, and everything head-case thing he did, and every injury he suffered, obsessively, the last few years.

But you know better.  

And then, comparing RGIII's being a dick with Brady.  And in the same post telling anyone else THEY can't talk QB's.  

If you didn't exist Nut, I'd have to invent you.  For comedy relief value, if nothing else.

14 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Like some NFL coaches, you clearly believe in the "I can fix them" theory of signing  head-case busts because :Potential:

The Hubris, that you know more about RGIII than anyone here in Washington could, folks who actually watched every snap he took, and everything head-case thing he did, and every injury he suffered, obsessively, the last few years.

But you know better.  

And then, comparing RGIII's being a dick with Brady.  And in the same post telling anyone else THEY can't talk QB's.  

If you didn't exist Nut, I'd have to invent you.  For comedy relief value, if nothing else.

Big talk coming from the guy who thinks fitz is the second coming of Joe Namath 

1 hour ago, Savage69 said:

That was Tanny not Rex who some believe was actually the Jets GM..;)

Tanny was the GM in title only, he was really more of Rex's errand boy and guy who knew some Math, all the GMing type moves were made by Rex, until 2012 when everyone realizes he had no clue of what they hell he was doing, but it was too late at that time

23 minutes ago, Warfish said:

But you know better.  

You're just not capable of getting the point or refuse too, either one leaves me scratching my head too often.  Wheres the comedy relief in not agreeing with your absurd idea that RGIII is a modern day Ryan Leaf.  I'll be blunt, if you think they're busts on the same level, similar in any way, shape or form youre either clueless or too stubborn to admit youre over exaggerating.

And youre also right.  Living in Washington makes people experts on RGIII.  Because we dont get football news and moving pictures in NYC.  Who said anyone knows better?  I asked, gave examples of fanbases turning on players.  Asked you if they felt the same way about him when he took the league by storm or just when it was apparent he was done in DC. I know that answer anyway, dont bother.  Should we have listened to the fine people of Chicago?  Nah, you'll ignore that one and make fun of me for not listening to another teams braindead fanbase.  Just as you didnt get the point about QBs or football players being dicks.

Why bother, youve become a very weird poster, dont know what happened to you.  I wont waste your time again, even if it costs you comic relief.  Go invent another JN.   

12 minutes ago, cant wait said:

Big talk coming from the guy who thinks fitz is the second coming of Joe Namath 

And used stats to prove it in his thread taking people to task for not agreeing with him.  Gave me shlt when I said Fitz was solid but has issues.  Because, his guy cant have issues.  Not being able to throw a 20 yard out with any zip or throw a deep pass is made up.  Being at the bottom of the league in passes over 20 yards is a made up, in my head issue

Then doesnt want to look at RGIII's numbers, doesnt want to look at how theyre superior in almost everyway to Fitzs career year numbers.  

You know, while that line of thinking provides comic relief for him

1 minute ago, Jet Nut said:

Why bother, youve become a very weird poster, dont know what happened to you.  

Ditto, old friend.  

If you can't understand why RGIII is seen as a huge Bust (a la Leaf) or as a massive head-case (a la George), I'm not sure anything I could say would help you.

Because it's really pretty obvious.  From him coming into the league with Luck (a la Manning/Leaf) to his caring more about his "brand" than football as a rookie (a la Jeff "leadership is overrated" George).  It's not a huge reach, and posting his stats alone isn't terribly relevant to who and what RGIII has been to-date.  

I can only presume you simply haven't ever watched him play, or read any of teh stories about his time down here.  Had you, there is simply now ay you'd no get the references/comparison.

Truth will be in the telling......so far, no one has shown any real interst in RGIII other than us.  And we're looking at him only after Fitz asked for too much and Kap Trade options were more than Mac and Co. liked.  

Maybe RGIII can come back, maybe not.  But if his career ended today, he'll forever be known as a bust and a head-case.

/shrug

Archived