Jump to content

Hackenburg looking unimpressive...


Freemanm
 Share

Recommended Posts

13 minutes ago, drdetroit said:

So what's my actual weight since your like psychic and stuff

You are the one touting what a great pick an undersized LB who only played one full year at the position in college was and I am the psychic??

BTW lay off the carbs and your waistline will shrink.

3 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

no one compared the two.  Stop already

Says the guy who keeps bringing up Ray Lewis.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, drdetroit said:

Why bother with actual facts?

 

We finally have a GM who knows what he's doing but uh oh everyone has to crap on him because Paxton Lynch is going to be the next Steve Young but better

That's the nature of this sort of thing.  I have no doubt that if Lynch turns out to be Denver's new franchise Qb, and the Jets meanwhile do not find/develop one, there will be plenty of Jet fans who will dump on Macc. Plenty, and not without reason.

Ftr I was fine with passing on Lynch, but I'm just a Jet fan posting on a message board.  If Macc was wrong not to pick Lynch, it will cost him and I would guess he knows that.

That's what makes Denver's pick my candidate for most interesting in the draft.  I have high respect for Elway as a GM (as I did for him as a Qb), but it looked like Lynch was a reach for them.  Guess we'll find out if it was or not.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Kleckineau said:

You quote what I said regarding Keuchly then say not true??  

Furthermore Lee is not 6'1" and is not 232. They pumped up his numbers and everyone without a bias and 2 good eyes can see it.

Plus we all know how comparing draft picks to all-pros and HOFers is such an excellent predictor of future performance.

 

 

 

Who pumped up his numbers? The NFL combine people? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, cant wait said:

Who pumped up his numbers? The NFL combine people? 

The agents tell these guys how to show up at the combines.

First, he is not 6'1". His bio says 6' 3/4"

If mentioning the 3/4" is that important to him that tells me he probably 6' at best.

Secondly I dont disagree that he was 230 lbs at the combine but he easily put on about 18 lbs  pre combine and draft to help raise his draft slot.

If he becomes a starter you can almost guarantee he will be playing at 218 by midseason and getting mauled by bigger players.

I think it is alarming the NYJ braintrust to fell for it. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I don't care how Hack, a very-much-not-ready-for-pros-2nd-round-draft-pick, looks in his first minicamp of his pro career.

If he sees the field in a game that counts before 2018, we (as in the Jets Organization) has done something very, VERY, wrong, the kind of wrong that warrants people being fired.

I don't care how he looks until minicamp 2018.  Then it'll matter.

Before then, it's a bit of a "duh, what did you expect exactly" if he looks like exactly what he is.  A long-term, high-upside, low-risk developmental pick.

  • Upvote 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, Kleckineau said:

The agents tell these guys how to show up at the combines.

First, he is not 6'1". His bio says 6' 3/4"

If mentioning the 3/4" is that important to him that tells me he probably 6' at best.

Secondly I dont disagree that he was 230 lbs at the combine but he easily put on about 18 lbs  pre combine and draft to help raise his draft slot.

If he becomes a starter you can almost guarantee he will be playing at 218 by midseason and getting mauled by bigger players.

I think it is alarming the NYJ braintrust to fell for it. 

 

The official combine measurements for his height were 6006, in scout measurements that's 6' 6/8" so that number of 3/4 is correct. the other stuff is purely hypothetical and you really have no way of knowing to be true. I'm a little surprised though that you think you know more about this player's conditioning than a team of professional scouts, without ever actually having seen him yourself 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, cant wait said:

The official combine measurements for his height were 6006, in scout measurements that's 6' 6/8" so that number of 3/4 is correct. the other stuff is purely hypothetical and you really have no way of knowing to be true. I'm a little surprised though that you think you know more about this player's conditioning than a team of professional scouts, without ever actually having seen him yourself 

Look at tape of Lee playing at OSU. He doesnt look 232.

Dont be shocked but a lot of pro scouts kinda suck at their job.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Big Blocker said:

That's the nature of this sort of thing.  I have no doubt that if Lynch turns out to be Denver's new franchise Qb, and the Jets meanwhile do not find/develop one, there will be plenty of Jet fans who will dump on Macc. Plenty, and not without reason.

Ftr I was fine with passing on Lynch, but I'm just a Jet fan posting on a message board.  If Macc was wrong not to pick Lynch, it will cost him and I would guess he knows that.

That's what makes Denver's pick my candidate for most interesting in the draft.  I have high respect for Elway as a GM (as I did for him as a Qb), but it looked like Lynch was a reach for them.  Guess we'll find out if it was or not.

We've got some of the most putrid talent evaluators ever on jet messageboards.  People acted Colin Kaepernick was good until it became 100% obvious to everyone he was an average player and last season Mariota was the golden child.  Now it's this guy lynch who is the same thing as Kaep and Mariota an athletic one read qb

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Kleckineau said:

Look at tape of Lee playing at OSU. He doesnt look 232.

Dont be shocked but a lot of pro scouts kinda suck at their job.

The tape of Lee at Ohio St all he does is make plays all over the field.  You have your head in your ass

  • Upvote 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, cant wait said:

The official combine measurements for his height were 6006, in scout measurements that's 6' 6/8" so that number of 3/4 is correct. the other stuff is purely hypothetical and you really have no way of knowing to be true. I'm a little surprised though that you think you know more about this player's conditioning than a team of professional scouts, without ever actually having seen him yourself 

Yeah he knows more than the people at the combine who actually weighed and measured him

  • Upvote 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, drdetroit said:

Yeah he knows more than the people at the combine who actually weighed and measured him

There's no doubt he put on weight after the season, but that's not unusual at all. he was flying all over the field at the senior bowl and with the work ethic this kid supposedly has, he could easily get in the 240 range with a year of NFL weight training. mauldin says he put on 15 pounds of mass this offseason too

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, cant wait said:

There's no doubt he put on weight after the season, but that's not unusual at all. he was flying all over the field at the senior bowl and with the work ethic this kid supposedly has, he could easily get in the 240 range with a year of NFL weight training. mauldin says he put on 15 pounds of mass this offseason too

Mauldin looks like he did too.  

I don't understand why so many people think every smaller linebacker has Maybinitis.  I have no concerns with Lee's ability to put on and keep weight.  

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Kleckineau said:

You quote what I said regarding Keuchly then say not true??  

Furthermore Lee is not 6'1" and is not 232. They pumped up his numbers and everyone without a bias and 2 good eyes can see it.

Plus we all know how comparing draft picks to all-pros and HOFers is such an excellent predictor of future performance.

 

 

 

Dude, shut up already.  The kid measured in at 6' 3/4" OFFICIALLY.  "They" pumped up his numbers?   You sound ******* insane.

Player heights are always rounded up.  Vilma was measured at 6004, but was listed at 6'1" during his career.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

43 minutes ago, detectivekimble said:

Dude, shut up already.  The kid measured in at 6' 3/4" OFFICIALLY.  "They" pumped up his numbers?   You sound ******* insane.

Player heights are always rounded up.  Vilma was measured at 6004, but was listed at 6'1" during his career.

Great post. Dude needs to stop already with this smurf nonsense.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, detectivekimble said:

Dude, shut up already.  The kid measured in at 6' 3/4" OFFICIALLY.  "They" pumped up his numbers?   You sound ******* insane.

Player heights are always rounded up.  Vilma was measured at 6004, but was listed at 6'1" during his career.

Nice retort that shut up weapon of yours.

It cuts.

Did they round up your IQ to 3 figures?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

http://nypost.com/2016/06/16/how-the-old-guys-have-become-christian-hackenbergs-lifeline/

When Christian Hackenberg has a question on the practice field, he turns to the walking, talking resources next to him.

“I talk to the old guys a lot — Geno, Bryce,” the Jets rookie quarterback said.

That would be Geno Smith and Bryce Petty, who both are 25 years old. You know, old guys.

Everyone looks old to the 21-year-old Hackenberg

  • Thumb Down 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, cant wait said:

There's no doubt he put on weight after the season, but that's not unusual at all. he was flying all over the field at the senior bowl and with the work ethic this kid supposedly has, he could easily get in the 240 range with a year of NFL weight training. mauldin says he put on 15 pounds of mass this offseason too

Mark Barron weighs 214 he just got a $40 million pay day because he played excellent as a converted linebacker last season.

 

The LB position has changed.  Big slow guys like Calvin Pace are a liability now

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, Mogglez said:

Mauldin looks like he did too.  

I don't understand why so many people think every smaller linebacker has Maybinitis.  I have no concerns with Lee's ability to put on and keep weight.  

Jmo I don't expect the jets to ask Darron Lee to put that much weight on .   They probably want him in the 230-240 pound range.    That is the new ideal weight for today's inside  lb ( it's a passing league) . Those guys are in their for their speed and their coverage ability.

So many Darron Lee type are on many NFL rosters- the trend around the league. ( look what the Bears did in Fa at inside lb.( Trevathan, and Jerrell Freeman- not ideal 3-4 inside lb's once, but that is the new standard.) 

What the Jets did ( drafting Darron Lee) isn't anything unique. 

  • Upvote 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, Raideraholic said:

Jmo I don't expect the jets to ask Darron Lee to put that much weight on .   They probably want him in the 230-240 pound range.    That is the new ideal weight for today's inside  lb ( it's a passing league) . Those guys are in their for their speed and their coverage ability.

So many Darron Lee type are on many NFL rosters- the trend around the league. ( look what the Bears did in Fa at inside lb.( Trevathan, and Jerrell Freeman- not ideal 3-4 inside lb's once, but that is the new standard.) 

What the Jets did ( drafting Darron Lee) isn't anything unique. 

But just try explaining this to some of the dunderheads on this forum that persist in thinking that a LB must be of the same build as they were expected have in the 1980's.  It's like they have had their heads in their rectum for the last decade or more. Mystifying. 

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Raideraholic said:

Jmo I don't expect the jets to ask Darron Lee to put that much weight on .   They probably want him in the 230-240 pound range.    That is the new ideal weight for today's inside  lb ( it's a passing league) . Those guys are in their for their speed and their coverage ability.

So many Darron Lee type are on many NFL rosters- the trend around the league. ( look what the Bears did in Fa at inside lb.( Trevathan, and Jerrell Freeman- not ideal 3-4 inside lb's once, but that is the new standard.) 

What the Jets did ( drafting Darron Lee) isn't anything unique. 

I actually agree. My bigger point was that I'm not really concerned about the size, but if needed I'm not worried about him putting on.  Everyone freaking out about smaller LB's are stuck in the past.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

How the ‘old guys’ have become Christian Hackenberg’s lifeline

 

When Christian Hackenberg has a question on the practice field, he turns to the walking, talking resources next to him.

“I talk to the old guys a lot — Geno, Bryce,” the Jets rookie quarterback said.

That would be Geno Smith and Bryce Petty, who both are 25 years old. You know, old guys.

Everyone looks old to the 21-year-old Hackenberg, who has spent his first spring in the NFL trying to pick up the Jets’ system and show the franchise they made the right move when they took him in the second round of the draft.

“I think just finding my role within this team is my main thing right now,” Hackenberg said. “Whenever my opportunities are presented to me, I’m going to take advantage of them to the best of my ability. Whatever I’m asked to do, I’m going to do at a high level. Prepare at a high level, that’s what my teammates will expect from me, whether I’m playing or not. That’s my focus, just continue to act like a pro, prepare like a pro, do that and learn that right now. Whenever my shot is given to me, take full advantage of it.”

Hackenberg has had some rough moments in the spring practices as he makes the adjustment from Penn State. Wide receiver Brandon Marshall said he thinks struggling now only will help Hackenberg.

“It’s an opportunity for him to go against some of the best defenders in the business, and some of the best defensive minds in the business,” Marshall said. “This is an opportunity for him to get beat up, see a lot, lose a lot.

“Those moments are where you grow. He’s a guy that asks a lot of questions, so I think he’s going to take advantage of the opportunity of being in this environment. He’ll be able to grow.”

Coach Todd Bowles said he is not concerned about Hackenberg’s accuracy, which has looked shaky during the practices open to the media. Bowles said Hackenberg looks like a typical rookie, trying to learn his way.

Modal Triggerhc.jpg?quality=90&strip=all&w=300&strip=
HackenbergPhoto: Bill Kostroun

“They’re going to see defenses they haven’t seen before, the playbook is different,” Bowles said. “You can study it all you want, but until you get out on the field and get the chance to correct it and get better at it, you’re going to make those mistakes. No different than Bryce last year, and Geno was in the system as well for the first time, so he made his share of mistakes as well.”

Quarterbacks coach Kevin Patullo said Hackenberg is good about taking coaching and listening to suggestions. He said it also helps that Hackenberg played for two different coaches with the Nittany Lions — Bill O’Brien as a freshman then James Franklin in the next two years.

“I think he’s been exposed to more,” Patullo said. “I don’t know if it’s necessarily that system or just when you’re around different coaches, different philosophies, it’s going to grow from that. He’s a kid that loves football, so he’s going to want to learn continuously. He’s going to absorb anything and everything people say.”

Hackenberg has very little chance of actually playing as a rookie. As it stands, Smith and Petty are ahead of him on the depth chart. If Ryan Fitzpatrick re-signs eventually, that would push Hackenberg down to the fourth quarterback.

Hackenberg said he is not worried about that right now. He will spend the next six weeks preparing for training camp by studying the playbook so he is ready for any chance he is given.

“The more [the offense has] been fed to me, the more I’ve been able to grab it,” Hackenberg said. “I think that’s something that’s still going to be an area of focus for me moving forward, just continuing to own it in every way, shape and form. Older guys really helped with that, just being able to spend time with them, that’s been great. I think what I took away from this camp dealt with the offense and learning the playbook.”

If he has a question, he can just ask the old guys.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

6 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

How the ‘old guys’ have become Christian Hackenberg’s lifeline

 

 

“The more [the offense has] been fed to me, the more I’ve been able to grab it,” Hackenberg said. “I think that’s something that’s still going to be an area of focus for me moving forward, just continuing to own it in every way, shape and form. Older guys really helped with that, just being able to spend time with them, that’s been great. I think what I took away from this camp dealt with the offense and learning the playbook.”

If he has a question, he can just ask the old guys.

 

Is Hackenberg still trying?  I can't imagine why, considering he started his career "looking unimpressive".  QBs don't recover from this.  Face it Christian, it's over for you!

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

33 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

 

 

Is Hackenberg still trying?  I can't imagine why, considering he started his career "looking unimpressive".  QBs don't recover from this.  Face it Christian, it's over for you!

 

This is some solid sarcasm right here

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...