how many more yrs for tom brady playing at elite level ? ? ?

kelly

-- When ESPN's SportsCenter visited New England Patriots training camp in 2014, there was a humorous but telling exchange between Patriot-turned-analyst Tedy Bruschi and his former teammate, Tom Brady, on live television.

The topic was how much longer Brady could play at a high level.

Bruschi: “I’m giving him four [more seasons].”

Brady: “Four?”

Bruschi: “Four is realistic.”

Brady: “You’re out of your mind.”

Bruschi: “Oh yeah?”

Later in the show, Brady said, "I want to play for a long time. There’s nothing else I’d rather do. I make a commitment in the season and the offseason to do that. ... Hopefully I do it for a long time. Hopefully for longer than the four years over here that my buddy wants me to play.”

It was good stuff, real, and reflective of Brady's passion for playing the game.

As for how much longer he can do it, I operate with a simple rule on most things relating to Brady: Be wary of betting against him, because as we've learned since the day the Patriots made him the 199th overall pick of the 2000 draft, he has beaten the odds at every turn. If he thinks 44 is realistic, I'm on board (assuming, of course, there is no major injury).

As we look ahead, I'm reminded of what Patriots Hall of Famer Troy Brown said upon his retirement: "You can't outrun Father Time."

That's true, but the soon-to-be-39-year-old Brady is putting up a heck of a fight. And with that in mind, I turn it over to my AFC East colleagues James Walker (Dolphins), Rich Cimini (Jets) and Mike Rodak (Bills) for their thoughts on how much longer Brady can play at a high level.

James Walker, Miami Dolphins: An important thing Brady should be remembered for is his ability to stretch his prime longer than any other quarterback. There hasn’t been any noticeable drop-off in Brady’s play for the past dozen years, which is amazing. Brady, barring a serious injury, should play at least three more seasons at a high level. This year certainly won’t be an issue, especially with an expected four-game suspension that will shorten Brady’s regular season. But New England had better improve its pass protection -- fast -- if it wants five more quality years from Brady. His sack numbers increased from 21 in 2014 to a Ryan Tannehill-esque 38 last season, and we also saw Brady get lit up during the playoffs in a loss to the Denver Broncos. Brady won’t be under center for the Patriots into his mid-40s at that rate.

Rich Cimini, New York Jets: I was listening to the conference call last October when Brady, speaking to the New York media during the run-up to a Patriots-Jets game, said he’d like to play “maybe 10 more years.” I’ll be honest, I snickered. There’s no way he’ll be playing when he’s 48, but you know what? The idea of him playing into his 40s isn’t farfetched. He showed no signs of slippage last season at 38, and there’s every reason to believe he can remain at that level for another three years. Only three quarterbacks in their 40s have passed for 3,000 yards in a season -- Brett Favre, Warren Moon and Vinny Testaverde -- and I’d be surprised if Brady isn’t the fourth. Eventually, he’ll start to decline, and he’ll have to make a personal choice on how long he wants to push it.

Rodak: I can remember years ago in the Boston area there was talk about how Brady would make a great coach, or even a politician. More recently, Brady has spoken about how he wants to become an advocate for healthy eating, exercise and overall wellness. I've been fascinated with stories about Brady's strict diet and, in some cases, unusual conditioning and rehabilitation methods. I'm not an expert in how that compares historically with past NFL players, especially quarterbacks, but I would have to think that Brady has an edge over some of his predecessors. I've seen little sign of him losing arm strength or elusiveness in the pocket, two of the qualities that he will need to continue his career. Because of that, I can realistically see him playing another four or five seasons.

>    http://espn.go.com/blog/new-england-patriots/post/_/id/4793610/afc-east-qa-how-many-more-years-for-tom-brady-playing-at-elite-level

I'd say two more good ones.  Father time is undefeated.  The only bonus for Jets fans is that he won't accept his decline (which may be rapid) right away and will probably play at least one season at a poor level before he accepts it and retires (like Manning did).  Belicheat will let him try to "work it out" because he knows nothing else.  When Brady retires, it will be amazing to see how quickly Belicheat will no longer be perceived as a "genius" (if he doesn't retire too).

2 hours ago, New York Mick said:

Are we taking cheating into the equation?

2 hours ago, BowlesMovement said:

hGH is truly the fountain of youth. As long as he keeps loading up with hGH, he will likely keep playing at a high level despite his age.

Bingo!!!

On ‎7‎/‎5‎/‎2016 at 9:45 AM, Warfish said:

I'd say 127 years, at least.  Possibly 541 years if he cheats.  1,000 years in a possibility.  

That is what I am talking about.

In that Pats offense I think he can play more years than most think. He never ran well so nothing is going to hurt him in that respect. He's not going to lose much arm strength and even if he did the Pats use a short passing ball control offense anyway so if the Pats continue to pull in solid offensive players I think he can play to 45.

1 hour ago, Smashmouth said:

In that Pats offense I think he can play more years than most think. He never ran well so nothing is going to hurt him in that respect. He's not going to lose much arm strength and even if he did the Pats use a short passing ball control offense anyway so if the Pats continue to pull in solid offensive players I think he can play to 45.

I doubt that as any person that has aged into their forties can attest to - routine things ( throwing a ball) become more difficult.( hurt like hell when you reach that point.

Also a person in their forties don't have the tolerance for pain they had when they were in their prime. That beating Brady took in the Afc Championship took a lot of years off his career.

My prediction again is an injury will end Tom Brady career at some point ( the Patriots don't have the best offense line around) I say within two years Tom Brady will be out of the league.

Just now, PatsFanTX said:

Do you know that first game in 2008 against KC was the first time in 3 years that Brady was not listed on the injury report?

Do you know you just jinxed Tom Brady into missing games due to injury this year? It's basic universal law you just soiled on. TY in advance. 

6 hours ago, PatsFanTX said:

Other than 2008, Brady has never missed a start in 15 years due to injury.

Father Time catches up to everyone eventually.  When you're  close to forty your body doesn't bounce back as fast when you were in your prime.  

Tom Brady had a great career , but  the end is fast approaching . ( no Patriot fan wants to admit that- so enjoy every moment now  because it could be over at anytime  now.   

That beating the Bronco's defense put on him, took years off of his career. ( sped the clock up on his retirement-   You just don't realize it yet - tough for you to accept coming off the year he had. 

Father Time catches up to everyone eventually.  When you're  close to forty your body doesn't bounce back as fast when you were in your prime.  

Tom Brady had a great career , but  the end is fast approaching . ( no Patriot fan wants to admit that- so enjoy every moment now  because it could be over at anytime  now.   

That beating the Bronco's defense put on him, took years off of his career. ( sped the clock up on his retirement-   You just don't realize it yet - tough for you to accept coming off the year he had. 

Pats started 13 different players on the Oline last year and they were absolutely pathetic.

Truly amazing Brady walked off the field after the Broncos game last year.

Dante Scarnecchi is back this year and you won't see all those mental breakdowns on the OLine this year.

1 hour ago, PatsFanTX said:

Pats started 13 different players on the Oline last year and they were absolutely pathetic.

Truly amazing Brady walked off the field after the Broncos game last year.

Dante Scarnecchi is back this year and you won't see all those mental breakdowns on the OLine this year.

Brady will be a changed man when he comes off suspension -- deflated and old. He knows deep down the gig is up. It's Crappolo time.

4 hours ago, Long Island Leprechaun said:

Brady will be a changed man when he comes off suspension -- deflated and old. He knows deep down the gig is up. It's Crappolo time.

Brady was inflated last year, played behind a sh*tty OL, had no running game and lost several weapons for varying lengths of time (Edelman, Lewis, Gronk) and still had one of his best years.

If anything, if he does serve the suspension, he can go to Germany like Kobe and Wade did and do whatever they did for a month and come back 10 years younger.

Archived