Training camp thread 08/03/16

Maxman

1 minute ago, Maxman said:

My son was at camp today tweeting for us, he just finished playing college football. He said Petty didn't look good today. I have to say the beat writers seem to be getting this right, bad start for Petty so far.

Plenty of time to make up for it. And practices are like homework assignments in school. Preseason games are the tests, so he can make up for lost ground with good games. But he doesn't seem to be where anyone hoped he would be.

even hack they say has been up and down, but noone is really saying petty looks even ok.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Honestly, who cares about Petty. I had high hope too. But clearly Hack is the QB they are developing for the Future. In a perfect world we win a Super Bowl this year! Fitz starts next year and hack takes over mid season.

55 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

Perpetually injured.  My heart is heavy.  Not just from all the cholesterol and bacon bits like usual.

Eh...I hear ya. But not really MAJOR injuries, right? 

I can't remember what kept him out. Was it major?

12 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

The NFL has a good relationship with the CFL and visa versa but it would be good if they extended that to a loaner program of sorts.  Not a true minor leagues, but would get player playing ball in a reasonably stable league that has a lot to offer.

Not a bad idea. That would benefit both leagues. 

Bowles unwillingness to let, or want young players to play on offense is really annoying, I mean really K Davis is his starting TE over Amaro, not even say it's a competition.  He is very untrusting on the offensive side of the ball yet on D because he is in control it's ok for some young kids to get a shot, but even still sticking to Cromartie last year was a bad decision, he needs to stop being so loyal, and dependent on Veterans just because they make him feel comfortable, it's hurting the team for the long term IMO.

Rich Cimini

Jets practice recap: Ryan Fitzpatrick rebounds with a nice day -- four TD passes on 14-for-20 efficiency. Must have been the haircut. Best day of camp for TE Jace Amaro. Rough day for Bryce Petty; didn't complete a pass and took a sack in a goal-line drill. Rookie LB Darron Lee got blasted by RB Dominique Williams on a goal-line play.

15 minutes ago, Lupz27 said:

Bowles unwillingness to let, or want young players to play on offense is really annoying, I mean really K Davis is his starting TE over Amaro, not even say it's a competition.  He is very untrusting on the offensive side of the ball yet on D because he is in control it's ok for some young kids to get a shot, but even still sticking to Cromartie last year was a bad decision, he needs to stop being so loyal, and dependent on Veterans just because they make him feel comfortable, it's hurting the team for the long term IMO.

May I ask what Amaro has done to be named the starter?

Davis was the starter last year. He'll continue to be the starter until someone takes the job from him.

Bowles is doing the right thing. Let Amaro earn it.

1 hour ago, Maxman said:

Amaro will have more than 3 times the catches as all of the tight ends combined last year. Scary thought.

Ya, if Amaro doesnt get hurt last year (in this system and w/emergence of Fitz/marshall/Decker) we would have made playoffs..in my opinion,,there were many times Fitz could have used a safety valve and we just didnt have the depth....

34 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

The NFL has a good relationship with the CFL and visa versa but it would be good if they extended that to a loaner program of sorts.  Not a true minor leagues, but would get player playing ball in a reasonably stable league that has a lot to offer.

The average salary in the CFL is less than what a marginal NFL player makes if he lasts the whole season on the practice squad. Rookie minimim in the CFL is @ $50K. I'd think that would be a hard sell for a lot of these kids. 

Just now, sourceworx said:

Davis was the starter last year. He'll continue to be the starter until someone takes the job from him.

Any TE with a pulse has earned a spot ahead of Kellen, 'oh what?  they are throwing to me?' Davis

He's the blocking version of cumberland, one step below a jag.

Just now, Beerfish said:

Any TE with a pulse has earned a spot ahead of Kellen, 'oh what?  they are throwing to me?' Davis

I'm not defending Davis. He sucks. But until someone actually takes the job from him, he's the starter. 

39 minutes ago, sourceworx said:

This is why the NFL needs a developmental league. College football used to serve that purpose, but no longer does. 

I think the league should allow one developmental QB per team to be designated and protected from being poached off the practice squad. 

Just now, slats said:

The average salary in the CFL is less than what a marginal NFL player makes if he lasts the whole season on the practice squad. Rookie minimim in the CFL is @ $50K. I'd think that would be a hard sell for a lot of these kids. 

That's why I said make a more formal loaner deal between the two, nfl team tops up the salary, cfl gets better players. 

Player gets paid overall what they would make on a psquad and yet get to play in meaningful games.

In many cases it takes a few years for players who are bubble nfl guys to filter down to the cfl partly because of the salaries.

2 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

That's what it comes down to, I think Amaro was originally in line for the H-back role in which Enunwa currently finds himself entrenched, and the TE is more of a blocker in Gailey's offense. It's great that he's catching passes, but he's really going to have to demonstrate an ability to block to crack the line-up. 

17 minutes ago, sourceworx said:

Where did I say Amaro should be named the starter?

7 minutes ago, slats said:

That's what it comes down to, I think Amaro was originally in line for the H-back role in which Enunwa currently finds himself entrenched, and the TE is more of a blocker in Gailey's offense. It's great that he's catching passes, but he's really going to have to demonstrate an ability to block to crack the line-up. 

Which is a waste and a shame b/c Amaro is and always has been a Split End. He has been working on his blocking, making it a priority. Even if he is not the best blocker and Enunwa is the H-back, they need to find a way to utilize Amaro b/c he can develop into a dangerous offensive weapon, especially in the red zone. If he has improved in his blocking at all, let him start at TE and put together some plays for him. I think that is what Gailey will do. And I expect Amaro to take Davis' starting spot by the time the season starts.  

40 minutes ago, Lupz27 said:

It's a defensive coach thing. They like veterans because they think they will not lose the game on offense 

2 minutes ago, sourceworx said:

agree, he has to earn in camp.. I think he will by 4th game if not sooner..Jets would like to employ a TE hybrid HBack that is in motion and usually out or between tackles and WRs or by the WRs at snap of ball and Amaro fits that mold perfect

If I may add,

What the NFL needs to do and I am sure could sustain is a

Spring/early summer minor league.

Same teams, only limited number of games,say 8. Using the exsisting facilities and stadiums. The fan base of the winter pro teams would be in place to support the league. Use this league to develop young talent both coaches and players as well as front office personal. Make the games cheap and keep the concession cost low as well. Hopefully by keeping personal cost low across the board, the league would break even or even show a small profit.

The outstanding personal of the league would then move on

to spots with the main clubs in the winter.

34 minutes ago, slats said:

Amaro is better than Enunwa.

23 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Amaro is better than Enunwa.

Really isn't even debatable .. That said Enunwa tightens up on his Drops . He is a mismatch on the field especially vs linebackers and safety's ..  He show this ability late last year . When he made the catches he was turning up field on defendrs. I hope they both blossom.

1 hour ago, Maxman said:

My son was at camp today tweeting for us, he just finished playing college football. He said Petty didn't look good today. I have to say the beat writers seem to be getting this right, bad start for Petty so far.

Plenty of time to make up for it. And practices are like homework assignments in school. Preseason games are the tests, so he can make up for lost ground with good games. But he doesn't seem to be where anyone hoped he would be.

Shane is a media hack?

1 hour ago, Lupz27 said:

I hate Kellen Davis more than the next guy, unless the next guy is dbatesman, but even last year Amaro was at H-back vs. Davis at TE.  They will probably run way more H-back sets than TE sets.

1 hour ago, slats said:

I guess that is what I was saying.

3 hours ago, Beerfish said:

We should trade mcdougall for mike glennon, kill two birds with one stone.

Edit, and is pierce this years useless vet roster player RB not named ridley?

Mike Glennon is not a bird.  He is a giraffe.

26 minutes ago, Scoop24 said:

Really isn't even debatable .. That said Enunwa tightens up on his Drops . He is a mismatch on the field especially vs linebackers and safety's ..  He show this ability late last year . When he made the catches he was turning up field on defendrs. I hope they both blossom.

agree,,depth is so important in NFL with injuries and putting fresh players in game with close or equal talent as starter....

2 hours ago, #bman said:

Honestly, who cares about Petty. I had high hope too. But clearly Hack is the QB they are developing for the Future. In a perfect world we win a Super Bowl this year! Fitz starts next year and hack takes over mid season.

Developing these guys isn't mutually exclusive. Fans never seem to grasp that all eggs in one basket is terrible.

Anyway, Petty may not look good to us or beat writers, but his evaluation criteria rests with coaches... Which is all I was getting at.

12 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

Developing these guys isn't mutually exclusive. Fans never seem to grasp that all eggs in one basket is terrible.

Anyway, Petty may not look good to us or beat writers, but his evaluation criteria rests with coaches... Which is all I was getting at.

My God logic on the board can't believe it!!?

Archived