Geno Smith Trade Speculation Rumors: MERGED

AFJF

• Replies 985
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, sourceworx said:

The guy that beat him in the preseason got hurt last night. 

By Darryl Slater | NJ Advance Media for NJ.com
Email the author | Follow on Twitter
on September 02, 2016 at 3:45 PM, updated September 02, 2016 at 3:54 PM

During a conference call with reporters Friday afternoon, Jets coach Todd Bowles acknowledged the obviousGeno Smith will go into the regular season as the team's backup quarterback, behind Ryan Fitzpatrick. 

This is not surprising at all. Smith was always ahead of second-year pro Bryce Petty, who injured his shoulder in Thursday's preseason finale at the Eagles

Bowles said an MRI on Friday morning revealed just a bruised shoulder for Petty, and no structural damage.

Between Smith's previous depth chart lead over Petty, and now this shoulder injury, Smith as the Jets' No. 2 quarterback was a foregone conclusion. 

When asked Friday if it'd be fair to say that Smith is No. 2, Bowles said, "Yeah, that would be fair to say." 

Petty, even when healthy, has never appeared in an NFL regular season game, though he showed signs of progress in August. Smith, for all his flaws, gives the Jets a game-tested backup quarterback. 

It's still not clear if Petty will go on injured reserve due to his shoulder bruise, according to Bowles. But Bowles said that decision would not be finalized before the Jets make their roster cut-downs, from 75 players to 53. 

The Jets have until 4 p.m. Saturday to get to 53 players. Bowles would not say if Petty will join Fitzpatrick, Smith, and rookie Christian Hackenberg on the Jets' initial 53-man active roster, before perhaps going on IR. 

The Jets' options: Keep Petty on the initial 53-man roster and then place him on IR, simply keep him on the active roster and not place him on IR, or waive him with an injury designation (to create an immediate roster spot) and hope he clears waivers, so the Jets can then place him on IR. 

Ranking top 20 most important Jets for 2016

Petty going on IR would obviously solve the Jets' four quarterbacks issue. However, he would be going on IR with a non-serious injury, even though it is highly unlikely he would play this season anyway, as the third-string quarterback. 

Bowles said the Jets' brass is scheduled to meet at 5 p.m. Friday to finalize roster decisions, like the three/four quarterbacks stuff. 

"We'll probably be here all night," Bowles said. 

He said the Jets are unlikely to cut players Friday. So most, if not all, of the Jets' cuts will happen Saturday, according to Bowles. 

He wouldn't tip his hand on any roster decisions Friday afternoon. Not the four quarterbacks matter. Not the right tackle situation, either. 

He said starting right tackle Breno Giacomini (back) could start the regular season on the physically unable to perform list (which everyone already knew), but that's not official yet. It seems likely that Giacomini won't be ready for the Sept. 11 opener against the Bengals, but Bowles wouldn't officially rule it out. 

"It's just a matter of how he's feeling day by day," Bowles said. "With a back, you never know. Obviously, if he's not practicing this week by a certain day, there will probably be a good chance he won't play. There's a chance [he could start on the PUP list]. We've got to see how he's feeling and what's the projected time frame for him to be back. We'll weigh our options." 

If Giacomini starts the regular season on the PUP list, he must miss at least the first six weeks.

Brent Qvale and Ben Ijalana have been competing for his starting job, in the event he's not ready for the opener. There is no clarity in that competition. 

"I still don't have an answer for you," Bowles said. "I saw good from both of them, and I saw bad from both of them [on Thursday]. We'll alternate them during the week, and we'll probably go right up until game day, if Breno can't play.

2 minutes ago, sourceworx said:

The guy that beat him in the preseason got hurt last night. 

that's a damned good reason too.  You'd think it would end the endless Geno Smith debate for the next month or two.  What a joy that would be.

Bryce Petty played better football in the preseason than Ryan Fitzpatrick did.hows that.

While I saw a great improvement from Petty this preseason, he is a gun slinger, it was against very base defenses and for the most part second tier players.

I have to believe that he will be ready next year to compete for not only the backup spot but the starters role.

This is the proper way you bring QB's along,slow and steady allowing them to grow to the pro game. With Geno moving on next year Bryce could well be ready. Fitz moves to the backup/mentor role and Hack gets another year of development work to prove he belongs.

On September 1, 2016 at 8:03 PM, fltflo said:

When Geno moves on to a fresh start one side or the other will be proven correct.

Now I am focusing on the up coming season and hoping Fitz stays healthy and finally makes the playoffs for the first time in his career.

Whoever the backup is my hope is that if its Geno and he has to step up, he makes believers out of his critics.

If it is Petty, that he comes in and ends any question as to who will be the Jets starting QB for many years to come.

Fresh start?  What?

You realize Geno Smith cost us the playoffs last year, yes?  His lack of preparation and ability cost us a completely winnable Oakland game, inexcusable that a guy who started so many games was handed the keys to a record setting offense and crapped the bed when we needed him the most. 

He's the worst backup QB in the NFL. Last year and this year.  Trade him today and mock the poor franchise that takes him off our hands.

SAR I

Fresh start?  What?

You realize Geno Smith cost us the playoffs last year, yes?  His lack of preparation and ability cost us a completely winnable Oakland game, inexcusable that a guy who started so many games was handed the keys to a record setting offense and crapped the bed when we needed him the most. 

He's the worst backup QB in the NFL. 

SAR I

Good morning,

Wow,now that's creative, Sar give it an hour or so, I am certain you will have many agreeing with you. "Yeah, yeah that's the ticket, Geno cost us the playoff too".......Smh

14 minutes ago, fltflo said:

Good morning,

Wow,now that's creative, Sar give it an hour or so, I am certain you will have many agreeing with you. "Yeah, yeah that's the ticket, Geno cost us the playoff too".......Smh

Creative?

The Jets were 4-1 and came within a hair of beating the Patriots in New England, the Raiders were in the middle of a 1-5 collapse to ruin their season, and the one time we needed Geno Smith to play like the professional backup you claim him to be he played just like he always does and ended our season. 

He was an NFL starting quarterback for 29 games and failed to complete the one task he was needed for on a record-setting team, could have put us in the playoffs, could have been a hero, and failed.

How you can defend him is beyond reason.

SAR I

51 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Fresh start?  What?

He's the worst backup QB in the NFL. Last year and this year.  Trade him today and mock the poor franchise that takes him off our hands.

SAR I

Yea yea that's the ticket 

1 hour ago, SAR I said:

Fresh start?  What?

SAR I

Ryan Fitzpatricks 3 INTs in a row cost us the playoffs along with other losses to the Bills and Texans. 

31 other NFL teams just said NO 

9 minutes ago, fltflo said:

SAR I

My post had nothing to do with defending Geno and was more about the outlandish lengths people will go to vilify the poor guy.

In general - and I don't include SAR in that due to his many BMWs - no one vilifies Geno. We just think he's done here and hasn't developed. If he'd ever looked as good as Petty, even in preseason I'd be moderately excited. 

9 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

Bryce Petty played better football in the preseason than Ryan Fitzpatrick did.hows that.

That's great. However they weren't competing for the same spot (#2 QB ). There was no competition for starting QB. 

Geno and Petty were. And Petty CLEARLY outplayed your sh*t-for-brains champion. Wasn't even close. 

If Petty hadn't been injured on Thursday, your boy would have given the playbook he can't read back to coach Bowles yesterday.

Just now, sourceworx said:

That's great. However they weren't competing for the same spot (#2 QB ). There was no competition for starting QB. 

Geno and Petty were. And Petty CLEARLY outplayed your sh*t-for-brains champion. Wasn't even close. 

If Petty hadn't been injured on Thursday, your boy would have given the playbook he can't read back to coach Bowles yesterday.

Bryce Petty was the best QB on the Jets roster in preseason. 

32 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Ryan Fitzpatricks 3 INTs in a row cost us the playoffs along with other losses to the Bills and Texans. 

31 other NFL teams just said NO 

Ryan Fitzpatrick was the only reason we were in a position to get our 11th win, it was Geno Smith who cost us it.

Ryan Fitzpatrick was asked to win 10 of 15 games against a daunting schedule and he did.  Geno Smith was asked to win 1 game against a terrible Oakland team and not only didn't he win it, he was the worst Jet on the field that day.

SAR I

14 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Similar to 31 other NFL teams not wanting Fitzpatrick

Ryan Fitzpatrick has nothing to do with the backup quarterback role.  Stay on topic.

Explain how Geno Smith is a top backup quarterback considering that:

1. He went 12-17 as an NFL starter in 29 NFL games

2. He has thrown 27 TD's and 35 INT's.

3. His career record as a backup is 0-1 and occurred while running a record-setting offense against a lousy Oakland team.

4. His 2016 preseason clearly showed that he has stepped back and is performing worse than any year prior.

Forget Petty, forget Fitzpatrick, forget the Easter Bunny, forget Santa Claus.  Explain how Geno Smith is a top backup quarterback and is good for this win-now New York Jets team.

SAR I

31 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Ryan Fitzpatrick was the only reason we were in a position to get our 11th win, it was Geno Smith who cost us it.

Ryan Fitzpatrick was asked to win 10 of 15 games against a daunting schedule and he did.  Geno Smith was asked to win 1 game against a terrible Oakland team and not only didn't he win it, he was the worst Jet on the field that day.

SAR I

Do you even believe your own drivel at times?

I fall on neither side of this debate, and I like Fitz, but the Jets had one of the easiest schedules in the NFL last year.

5 minutes ago, InstantClassic said:

Do you even believe your own drivel at times?

I fall on neither side of this debate, and I like Fitz, but the Jets had one of the easiest schedules in the NFL last year.

The Jets were a 4 win John Idzik train wreck before Maccagnan made some smart moves and a journeyman quarterback played they way Geno Smith never could.

Strength of schedule is not my point.  My point is that Ryan Fitzpatrick won 10 of 15 games last year, a feat no one in the world thought possible a year ago this very day, and Geno Smith couldn't win the 1 game on the schedule we actually needed him to win.  Last year, Geno Smith had exactly 1 day of work to earn his living, 1 day to play well, and he didn't and he cost us the season.  Geno Smith beats Oakland as he should if he were a decent NFL backup, we go to the playoffs.

SAR I

1 hour ago, SAR I said:

Creative?

The Jets were 4-1 and came within a hair of beating the Patriots in New England, the Raiders were in the middle of a 1-5 collapse to ruin their season, and the one time we needed Geno Smith to play like the professional backup you claim him to be he played just like he always does and ended our season. 

He was an NFL starting quarterback for 29 games and failed to complete the one task he was needed for on a record-setting team, could have put us in the playoffs, could have been a hero, and failed.

SAR I

This might be one of your most ridiculous points ever.  And that says a lot.

Fitz, with the season and playoffs on the line plays much worse in Bufallo than what Geno showed in an emergency appearance but Geno cost them the season.  

Not the turd of a game Fitz played in Bufallo. Or the horrible game he played against Washington, etc.

Fine logic at work here, 

Fitz, with the season and playoffs on the line plays much worse in Bufallo than what Geno showed in an emergency appearance but Geno cost them the season.  

Not the turd of a game Fitz played in Bufallo. Or the horrible game he played against Washington, etc.

Fine logic at work here, 

Geno had a game two years ago where his QBR was exactly 0.0 .... /thread /period /over

then there is this for further affirmation ...

http://www.foxsports.com/nfl/story/geno-smith-voted-worst-qb-in-nfl-for-second-straight-year-072115

voted worst QB .. not once ... but two years in a row. and you still want him ... beahahaha

2 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Fine logic at work here, 

So let me understand this:

Ryan Fitzpatrick takes a 4-12 Idzik rebuild project, sets Jets offensive records, and wins 10 of 15 games and that's bad because he should have won 11 of 15 games with a team held together with glue and duct tape.

Geno Smith takes his 29 games of starting NFL experience, plays a team in the midst of a 1-5 collapse, and is the worst Jet on the field but that's okay because it was an "emergency appearance".

And who has questionable logic?

If Geno Smith does his job in Oakland, the Jets have 11 wins and make the playoffs.  But he does not meet expectations, loses the very game we need to make the playoffs, kills our season.  Ryan Fitzpatrick knocked the cover off the ball, exceeded every expectation by winning 10 of 15 contests, the lack of a playoff berth is not on him.

SAR I

Archived