Giacomini goes onto the PUP

Specials (3) - Purdum, Folk, Edwards

DL (6) - Richardson, Wilkerson, Williams, McLendon, Jenkins, Simon

LB (9) - Harris, Henderson, Lee, Carter, Jenkins, Mauldin, Catapano, 
             Bishop, ?

DB (10) - Revis, Skrine, Williams, Burris, Milliner, Pryor, Gilchrist,
               Miles, Middleton, ?

5 minutes ago, Larz said:

They probably shouldn't have reported his return as probable if they wanted to ir him

I was wondering how this would be reported, and in that case you're definitely right.  If they had any interest in stashing one of their QBs, I'm pretty sure everyone had the same thought last night that the injury would have given them the easiest excuse to do it.

I'm actually a little surprised they didn't take that opportunity.  Even with Petty clearly looking better this year for the Jets than Hackenberg, unless they have real plans to move Geno (which could very well be a factor here), you're typically not concerned about the "win now" ability of your #3 QB.  I guess we'll see what happens in the coming days.

Yeah, lots of people keep saying this, ignoring that Petty was the best looking QB of the preseason. Honestly, he's the guy I'd rather see us put out there if Fitz gets hurt or sucks. He's got the guts, he's decisive, and he's got amazing arm talent. Sure, his inexperience will be exposed at times, but he showed enough to be given the shot.

I'd rather have him available to us, especially if it's not truly an IR injury.

21 minutes ago, KRL said:

Here's what I came up with:

QB (3) - Fitzpatrick, Smith, Hackenberg
              Petty goes onto the IR

RB (4) - Forte, Powell, Robinson, Bohanon

WR (7) - Marshall, Decker, Enunwa, Ross, Anderson, Peake, Marshall

TE (2) - I won't be shocked if we pick up two TE's this weekend.  At
             this point I'll say Davis and Sudfeld

OL (9) - Qvale, Winters, Mangold, Carpenter, Clady, Ijalana, Johnson,
              Watts, Shell

Bishop, ?

Miles, Middleton, ?

We have enough talent at safety, WR and LBer where we may be able to move some depth for depth at TE or OL.

If I had anything to do with it, I would keep D Williams at RB along with Forte, Powell and Robinson and cut loose Bohannon. Jets are probably going to use Forte and Powell in the backfield together a lot meaning that the FB position will be a luxury Keep the extra RB just in case you need him and I like the talent of that kid .

Anything can happen, but it is doubtful that we will pick up a CB that is better then the bottom of our CB; On the other hand, they could probably trip over someone on the street and upgrade our OL depth.

Personally, I think they should drop Amaro; pick him up again, and drop him again; repeat until they have dropped him as much as he has the ball this preseason.

25 minutes ago, Bleedin Green said:

I was wondering how this would be reported, and in that case you're definitely right.  If they had any interest in stashing one of their QBs, I'm pretty sure everyone had the same thought last night that the injury would have given them the easiest excuse to do it.

I'm actually a little surprised they didn't take that opportunity.  Even with Petty clearly looking better this year for the Jets than Hackenberg, unless they have real plans to move Geno (which could very well be a factor here), you're typically not concerned about the "win now" ability of your #3 QB.  I guess we'll see what happens in the coming days.

Very well put. I think hack to ps is possible

40 minutes ago, KRL said:

Here's what I came up with:

QB (3) - Fitzpatrick, Smith, Hackenberg
              Petty goes onto the IR

RB (4) - Forte, Powell, Robinson, Bohanon

WR (7) - Marshall, Decker, Enunwa, Ross, Anderson, Peake, Marshall

TE (2) - I won't be shocked if we pick up two TE's this weekend.  At
             this point I'll say Davis and Sudfeld

OL (9) - Qvale, Winters, Mangold, Carpenter, Clady, Ijalana, Johnson,
              Watts, Shell

Bishop, ?

Miles, Middleton, ?

I don't think Petty ends up on the IR. I'm hoping it's not that serious.

I think Ross and Marshall are redundant. I don't see Ross getting much run at WR, so what's his purpose? To catch punts?

Tight end is a GD mess.

Breno is already on the PUP. That position is also a dumpster fire.

Richardson being down a week might mean keeping a young DE for a week and that PS stashing him.

I'd rather see Taiwan Jones and Stanford make the team than Carter. Depends on the health of Harris and Henderson.

I agree McDougle is likely a cut. The CBs on this team are blech. Middleton is going to the PS. Ronald Martin did enough to stick.

I am not sure I IR Giacomini, at this point he is lost for the first half of the season. By the time he could come back, Fitz is either broken or the RT did okay; with the hardest part of the season gone and if the RT did enough to keep the Jets season alive, what would Breno add to the equation. It is not like he hasn't been sucking these past years.

We can save 5 million by releasing him (not sure about the settlement or how that works). We could use that money to sign another OL if a good one shakes loose.

1 minute ago, bostonmajet said:

I am not sure I IR Giacomini, at this point he is lost for the first half of the season. By the time he could come back, Fitz is either broken or the RT did okay; with the hardest part of the season gone and if the RT did enough to keep the Jets season alive, what would Breno add to the equation. It is not like he hasn't been sucking these past years.

We can save 5 million by releasing him (not sure about the settlement or how that works). We could use that money to sign another OL if a good one shakes loose.

Good post +

J Marshall could go to PS if they need the slot elsewhere.  With all the drops, I don't see another team putting him on their active 53 right now.

Clearly right side of the OL, CB and TE are the problem areas where we might pick up someone else's cuts or even PS players.

Hard to say what they'll do with Petty.  If he isn't available to play next week, they have no choice but to keep Geno for now so that would blow any chance of trading him.  Before the shoulder hit, I'd have been fine with moving Geno and keeping Petty as #2 but we'll see.

I'm also not sure what I think about RB.  Nobody behind Forte and Powell have shown me anything.  I could see reworking the #3 RB and have no idea what Bohannon is even going to do on our roster. 

43 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

Yeah, lots of people keep saying this, ignoring that Petty was the best looking QB of the preseason. Honestly, he's the guy I'd rather see us put out there if Fitz gets hurt or sucks. He's got the guts, he's decisive, and he's got amazing arm talent. Sure, his inexperience will be exposed at times, but he showed enough to be given the shot.

If Petty is hurt at all then he probably goes to IR.  I'm pretty sure the team can activate him as soon as he is ready to play.   After watching Hack play last night there is basically no chance that he serves as #2 and I don't want to see Tom Tupa taking snaps b/c the Jets got too cute with the backup.   

I don't know exactly how the NFL works but my guess is that the #3 runs the scout team during the season.  This gives Hack a chance to get reps and improve over the course of 2016.    I'd like to see Petty as the #2, getting some reps with the 1's each week and going through the game planning and preparation process.   Petty looked good this year and if he can stay on the same trajectory he may be a keeper.   The big question is whether he continues to improve or if this is his ceiling.   

1 minute ago, peekskill68 said:

This is a very good point.  What other team would claim Hack for their active roster after watching tape of that cesspool he produced last night?

Let's forget about the doomsday (yet unlikely) event that the Pats pick him up, sit him for 2 years, and he becomes the next Brady.

Any team might. Remember, it isn't only now, a team can poach from the PS at any time. So, in 6-8 weeks if a team is already out of the running and is thin at QB, they can grab him and hold him... talk about a wasted pick then.

24 minutes ago, Larz said:

Very well put. I think hack to ps is possible

There zero chance any team picking up Hackenberg , and putting him on their 53 man roster.   Where the Jets would have to worry about that ( someone claiming him) is week 11. ( that team season is over with, and they are looking toward the future.

2 minutes ago, LionelRichie said:

If Petty is hurt at all then he probably goes to IR.  I'm pretty sure the team can activate him as soon as he is ready to play.   After watching Hack play last night there is basically no chance that he serves as #2 and I don't want to see Tom Tupa taking snaps b/c the Jets got too cute with the backup.   

I don't know exactly how the NFL works but my guess is that the #3 runs the scout team during the season.  This gives Hack a chance to get reps and improve over the course of 2016.    I'd like to see Petty as the #2, getting some reps with the 1's each week and going through the game planning and preparation process.   Petty looked good this year and if he can stay on the same trajectory he may be a keeper.   The big question is whether he continues to improve or if this is his ceiling.   

Pretty sure that IR is a minimum of six weeks.  The team can activate one, and only one player from IR after week 6.  We could do that with Petty but that takes away another option.  Unless he really is out for at least 3-4 weeks, I'd guess they'll just put him on the 53.

2 minutes ago, Raideraholic said:

There zero chance any team picking up Hackenberg , and putting him on their 53 man roster.   Where the Jets would have to worry about that ( someone claiming him) is week 11. ( that team season is over with, and they are looking toward the future.

I think this is right.  They are probably safe PSing him for about 8 weeks.  They'll have to pull him back onto the 53 before then but also keep an eye on what's going on with other teams leading up to that point.  No team would want him on the field at any point this season so it would only make sense for a team with a nobody at #3.

4 minutes ago, bostonmajet said:

Let's forget about the doomsday (yet unlikely) event that the Pats pick him up, sit him for 2 years, and he becomes the next Brady.

Any team might. Remember, it isn't only now, a team can poach from the PS at any time. So, in 6-8 weeks if a team is already out of the running and is thin at QB, they can grab him and hold him... talk about a wasted pick then.

No doubt Hack has the potential to be the "next Brady".  Kyle Brady.

7 minutes ago, LionelRichie said:

I thought he was eligible to come off IR after 6 weeks, and if I understand the rule, the Jets can only do this with one player. Meaning, they'd waste this exception on a backup QB, rather than Devin Smith.

Ideally, his arm is fine, and he's ready by week 1. I also want him front-and-center for game planning, etc. If you want this upward trajectory to continue, you can't bury him on IR for a year with a sprain. Only if the injury is legit, does it make sense to me. Otherwise, he's better for the team if involved and available.

1 hour ago, Integrity28 said:

Being able to bring someone back from I.R. does change things a bit. Especially if he really falls into that category. Meaning if the injury is not season ending but puts him out for awhile. I guess we will know more after the MRI.

40 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

I thought he was eligible to come off IR after 6 weeks, and if I understand the rule, the Jets can only do this with one player. Meaning, they'd waste this exception on a backup QB, rather than Devin Smith.

Ideally, his arm is fine, and he's ready by week 1. I also want him front-and-center for game planning, etc. If you want this upward trajectory to continue, you can't bury him on IR for a year with a sprain. Only if the injury is legit, does it make sense to me. Otherwise, he's better for the team if involved and available.

Devin Smith is PUP not IR, different animal.  Petty wouldn't impact bringing back Smith.

45 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

Smith, and Giacomini, are both on PUP, not IR.  That keeps them off the roster for the first 6 weeks (unless pulled off PUP in the next day), and eligible to be either brought back or moved over to IR within 3 weeks after that.  The plus side is that can be done with absolutely no impact on the ability to use the "short term IR" with any other player.  A player is only eligible to pulled off of IR after week 8.

Archived