Does Bryce Petty suck?

T0mShane

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 hours ago, mkajet01 said:

Petty is jets, qb future, big, smart, cannon!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

I agree. I think Hackenberg was a wasted pick. His mechanics are awful and his accuracy is worse than Geno Smith's. I think Petty is the future QB of the Jets.

17 hours ago, T0mShane said:

I'd think it'd be easier at this point to be a Hack fan than a Geno fan, and I think Hack has no shot to be good. Who are these Geno truthers?

I support Geno Smith I feel he was never given a fair chance here and led a really bad team poorly coached to an 8-8 record. 

My opinion is Marshall and Decker made Fitzpatrick who by the way had a career year with them as WRs. 

If Perry ot Hackenburg overtake him for the #2 spot so be it I root for the team and any player in a Jets uniform maybe Geno Smith will have success elsewhere maybe he wont. 

I support Geno Smith I feel he was never given a fair chance here and led a really bad team poorly coached to an 8-8 record. 

My opinion is Marshall and Decker made Fitzpatrick who by the way had a career year with them as WRs. 

If Perry ot Hackenburg overtake him for the #2 spot so be it I root for the team and any player in a Jets uniform maybe Geno Smith will have success elsewhere maybe he wont. 

You have no clue! Geno sucks

This is good news:

Jets No. 3 QB Bryce Petty (shoulder) will be healthy in "about a week or two."

It's only notable because it means Petty won't be heading to injured reserve. The Jets have made the unusual decision to carry four quarterbacks on their 53-man roster.

4 hours ago, Tinstar said:

OK, so I'm an Idiot.

If you want Hack to start now, or think you know for sure what he'll be down the road....well, such things would lead to one questioning the wisdom of those positions, to say the least.    

4 hours ago, Tinstar said:

I wanted the Kid on the Jets, I'm Happy the kid is a Jet and I look forward to what he will be when he hopefully assumes control of this team in 2 yrs .

That is all

2 years?  Maybe.  

3 is more likely as horrible as he has been this year.  He's miles away from even Geno Smith level quality right now.

He may be the least Pro-ready 2nd round drafted pick QB in NFL history.  He looks, and plays, like a high-school kid out there.

And he hasn't been well regarded for what, 3 years, since he was a freshman in college?  

We'll see, we're all stuck with the "give him time" because Macc clearly has a big fat boner for him, and thinks he knows something everyone else didn't.  Fair enough, Macc has earned thus far that privilege.  So time we have to give him.

But till time passes, we'll still need a starting QB, in 2017, and 2018.  We all better hope Petty can be that player.  All the better still if he makes Hack unnecessary and tradable (or a #2 for a while).

2 minutes ago, Warfish said:

If you want Hack to start now, or think you know for sure what he'll be down the road....well, such things would lead to one questioning the wisdom of those positions, to say the least.    

2 years?  Maybe.  

3 is more likely as horrible as he has been this year.  He's miles away from even Geno Smith level quality right now.

He may be the least Pro-ready 2nd round drafted pick QB in NFL history.  He looks, and plays, like a high-school kid out there.

And he hasn't been well regarded for what, 3 years, since he was a freshman in college?  

We'll see, we're all stuck with the "give him time" because Macc clearly has a big fat boner for him, and thinks he knows something everyone else didn't.  Fair enough, Macc has earned thus far that privilege.  So time we have to give him.

But till time passes, we'll still need a starting QB, in 2017, and 2018.  We all better hope Petty can be that player.  All the better still if he makes Hack unnecessary and tradable (or a #2 for a while).

The Tinstar plan :

Draft a QB every yr even if you have a franchise QB .

Draft a LT every yr 

I didn't want Fitz back because I wanted Geno to be the starter , Petty to be the #2 and Hack to be the #3 . While the vast majority here think Geno is what he is, I have no idea what that is and this will be our last yr to find out . If he proves to not be a starting caliber QB, but a capable backup, I offer him the opportunity to compete with Petty in 2017 for the starting role with the loser being the backup . The following yr, the 2017 Starter and Hopefully Hackenberg compete for the starting Job, with the loser being the backup and the 2017 draft pick as the #3 . 

I am tired of throwing these old washed up QBs out there hoping for a decent season and having no shot at the Championship . I would rather throw a youngster with 2 yrs in the system out there and see what develops.

Problem with this is these HCs don't get that luxury . That's why Fitz is back hoping to strike lightening in a bottle . Problem is, not a single member of this fan base or the media really thinks the jets have a shot at the SB and the vast majority don't even believe the team can make the playoffs or have a winning record .   

3 hours ago, Tinstar said:

The Tinstar plan :

Draft a QB every yr even if you have a franchise QB .

Watched too many Packer Behind the scenes, eh?  

QB's picked after the 1st and generally useless wastes of time, and I'm not spending a #1 on a QB every year.  

Tossing your lure into a sh*t ocean usualy just catches you the same old turds.

Or do you think the Taj Boyd pick was a good one too?

Draft a LT every yr 

Change to "O-Lineman" and I'm fine with that.

I didn't want Fitz back because I wanted Geno to be the starter

We all wanted Geno to prove he wasn't a pile of sh*te.  We're all disappointed, some are simply more realistic about it.

While the vast majority here think Geno is what he is, I have no idea what that is

Try watching the games.  He's been showing us for years what he is.

If he proves to not be a starting caliber QB, but a capable backup, I offer him the opportunity to compete with Petty in 2017 for the starting role with the loser being the backup .

Well, throwing bad money after worse is a Jets Fan tradition.  

I am tired of throwing these old washed up QBs out there hoping for a decent season and having no shot at the Championship .

I'm tired of drafting QB's who were obvious busts to be.  Sanchez, Geno, Hack sure looks like more of the same so far.  

It's not how you get them, it's how good they are.  

I would rather throw a youngster with 2 yrs in the system out there and see what develops.

Translation, lose 12 games a year throwing sh*t against the wall till something sticks.  That's not a plan mate, anymore than hoping a few old vets have a season or two left int he tank.

That's why Fitz is back hoping to strike lightening in a bottle .

Fitz is back because he had one of the best years a Jets QB has ever had, and gives us a much better chance to win than Geno does, folks who refuse to accept that are only deluding themselves.   

Problem is, not a single member of this fan base or the media really thinks the jets have a shot at the SB

Agreed.

and the vast majority don't even believe the team can make the playoffs or have a winning record .   

Agreed.  But playing Geno (or Hack) and going 2-14 is still worse, materially, than going 9-7 and being competitive all year long.

45 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Yes they did no other team showed any interest in Ryan Fitzpatrick except the NY Jets 

Fitzpatrick has received multiple contracts over the years from several different NFL teams.

Geno Smith was voted as the NFL's worst QB two years in a row in an ESPN poll of NFL insiders.

15 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

How about the off season of 2015 prior to the 2016 season 

Fitz received the same amount of contract offers that Geno would have gotten if he was a FA this past offseason....ZERO.

Not sure why you can't wrap your head around the fact this ain't a question of 'Geno vs Petty' at this point...

Geno sucks, and Fitz probably sucks too compared to most NFL QB's...but since neither will likely be here next year, or one at most, Geno is not being compared to Petty but rather to Fitz.

Since the Jets sat there after all of the time Fitz wasn't signed and watched Geno with the 1's in practice, and still signed Fitz for $12 million, that told you all you need to know about Geno and the Jets.  He's done here.  May be right, may be wrong, i don't know and neither do you.

Geno wasn't in a competition with Petty; Petty was in a competition with himself...that is, to show he's made enough progress to maintain a space on the roster, and apparently he has.  Good for him.

The question of what was to become of Geno was answered the minute Fitz signed at the last minute, regardless if you think he got a fair shake or whatever.

11 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

Let's see:

• 2013: Handed starting job after sham competition by a meddling GM who forced game day decisions down the throat of a neutered HC.
  • 2014: Handed starting job after sham competition when the only "competition" brought in by worst GM in football was a disinterested and washed up Michael Vick.
  • 2015: Was on cusp of being handed the starting job yet again when he got popped in the jaw. Result being Fitzpatrick breaking Jets season TD record, and Marshall doing the same to boot.

No, I'd say the problem isn't that he wasn't given a fair chance but rather that he has been enabled and coddled to the extent that he took everything for granted and lacked the tools to respond when faced with actual adversity.

43 minutes ago, greenwave81 said:

Fitz received the same amount of contract offers that Geno would have gotten if he was a FA this past offseason....ZERO.

Not sure why you can't wrap your head around the fact this ain't a question of 'Geno vs Petty' at this point...

Geno sucks, and Fitz probably sucks too compared to most NFL QB's...but since neither will likely be here next year, or one at most, Geno is not being compared to Petty but rather to Fitz.

Since the Jets sat there after all of the time Fitz wasn't signed and watched Geno with the 1's in practice, and still signed Fitz for $12 million, that told you all you need to know about Geno and the Jets.  He's done here.  May be right, may be wrong, i don't know and neither do you.

Geno wasn't in a competition with Petty; Petty was in a competition with himself...that is, to show he's made enough progress to maintain a space on the roster, and apparently he has.  Good for him.

The question of what was to become of Geno was answered the minute Fitz signed at the last minute, regardless if you think he got a fair shake or whatever.

If there is an injury then Geno probably gets another shot here. Otherwise I agree he is done and I agree that the people whose jobs depend on making that decision (GM and HC) have decided to keep Fitz over Smith even at the expense of having $12 million less cap room this year.  No matter how much of an "evil of two lessers" that decision it might have been it is still very telling that this was the outcome.

Worst QB in NFL history ever to start for two seasons.

There's only 1 reason why Ryan Fitzpatrick was resigned, and it has nothing to do with Geno Smith and everything to do with the season he put together last year .  What happened to the Jets at the end of the 2015 season is the only reason Ryan Fitzpatrick wasn't resigned earlier .

This was a shot gun wedding .

That is all .

15 hours ago, ARodJetsFan said:

This is good news:

Jets No. 3 QB Bryce Petty (shoulder) will be healthy in "about a week or two."

It's only notable because it means Petty won't be heading to injured reserve. The Jets have made the unusual decision to carry four quarterbacks on their 53-man roster.

Im pretty sure this saved Geno for the next few weeks. After that, all bets are off. 

bowles said petty is out 'a week or two'.  let's assume 2 weeks.  that means if they put him on IR, he could return and miss only 4 games.

is it reasonable or a stretch to read into them not putting petty on short term IR and keeping 4 qbs, that they were planning on naming petty the #2 but when he got hurt they simply named geno the backup.  something just doesn't add up.

On ‎9‎/‎5‎/‎2016 at 6:54 AM, long suffering jets fan said:

I never felt we drafted Hack because Petty sucked.  The Jets saw value in picking both these guys.  Next year Geno and Fitz contracts are up, I can see Petty taking the starting job with Fitz as the backup.  Hack is still a couple of years away.  For once we have a GM who has a long term plan and sticks with it.  Macc is building depth and competitiveness at all positions and ignoring reactionary fans and the media.  

I basically agree here, but do note that when the Jets drafted Hackenberg, they were still trying to get a multi-year deal with Fitzpatrick.  But I agree for the most part since the key to drafting Hackenberg was that the FO knew Smith would be gone and that Fitz was/is not the medium to long term solution.  Even if Fitz had agreed to a multi-year deal, the FO wanted to have both Petty and Hackenberg under contract next off season. 

Imo if one or obviously both enter the next off season and fail to inspire confidence, the Jets will likely go Qb in the next draft.

But that's a ways off.  Right now unless some other roster moves/injuries take off the pressure, I expect when Petty is healthy the FO cuts Smith since they will need the space.

bowles said petty is out 'a week or two'.  let's assume 2 weeks.  that means if they put him on IR, he could return and miss only 4 games.

is it reasonable or a stretch to read into them not putting petty on short term IR and keeping 4 qbs, that they were planning on naming petty the #2 but when he got hurt they simply named geno the backup.  something just doesn't add up.

I think you're right petty showed he was head & shoulders better then geno

On 9/4/2016 at 2:48 PM, T0mShane said:

I keep seeing this repeated in various outlets as though it were fact, but every time I've seen Petty play this year, it's been generally positive stuff, other than the one awful pass in Game 3. Am I missing something, or is this just the parroted hate-speech from derp-blogs who are intent on rallying around the Hackenberg pick? 

He had a streak where he didn't complete a pass in TC for something like 2 days before the PS started. From there on out, it was all positive stuff.

I've become increasingly less patient with Mike MacCagnan's method to addressing the QB situation. We're going into year 2 of his operation - and we're staffed with Ryan Fitzpatrick (career backup with a loser record), Geno Smith (got punched out by his own team mates for being a douche), Bryce Petty (dime a dozen Cinderella project) and Hackenberg (worst QB prospect since Tebow). 

That's a fcking grill cheese sandwich no one ordered. 

Archived