Jared Goff demoted to 3rd string- what a mess for the Rams

Matt39

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 minutes ago, C Mart said:

You have a lot of posts here what's your excuse. 

Do you really understand how dumb that thought process is? 

Luck, both Mannings all were 4 yr starters and struggled their rookie season. Eli sat for the first 3 months. 

1) Sick Burn, dude!

2) If that was the actual thought process, it might be considered dumb.  But, here's a lesson from my many, many posts.  If you're going to call someone dumb, you ought to understand their point, lest you actually look dumb.

3) The post is in response to Hackenberg being excused for not getting a lot of reps.  When in fact, Hackenberg's full body of evidence suggests he hasn't lived up to his physical tools.  Not just his limited opportunities in the NFL.

6 minutes ago, gEYno said:

1) Sick Burn, dude!

2) If that was the actual thought process, it might be considered dumb.  But, here's a lesson from my many, many posts.  If you're going to call someone dumb, you ought to understand their point, lest you actually look dumb.

3) The post is in response to Hackenberg being excused for not getting a lot of reps.  When in fact, Hackenberg's full body of evidence suggests he hasn't lived up to his physical tools.  Not just his limited opportunities in the NFL.

3) yeah. I'm the dumb one :blink: yikes. 

Actual Jets fans hoping a rookie QB sucks, having no thought process that a 21 yr old can improve with quality NFL coaching just so they can say "I told you so", and "same old Jets". 

This place is nuts! Enjoy the season!

38 minutes ago, Smashmouth said:

He was not so bad under O'Brien his freshman year in a pro style offense when everyone was gushing all over him. O'Brien leaves and the entire Program goes in the sh*tter and incredibly Hackenberg now sucks. You know better than that.

This is wishful thinking at best and complete denial at worst.  First, Hackenberg did not grade out particularly well even in his freshman year.  Second, there's as strong, if not stronger argument that Allen Robinson made Christian Hackenberg look better in his first year than the lack of O'Brien made him look worse.  Robinson had more receptions than the next 4 guys combined that year.  Last, can you name another instance, even one, where this happened?  Where a promising young QB had a "good" season, then a new coach came in, and he was horrible, and then went on to succeed at the next level?  That's a serious question, I'd be happy to learn there was one.

I hope you're right.  I hope that it was all the coaches fault.  I hope that he just needs time.  What I think, and what the evidence available suggests, is that he's got great physical tools, but he was bad in college, and he hasn't shown anything yet to make you think he won't be bad in the pros.

6 minutes ago, C Mart said:

Actual Jets fans hoping a rookie QB sucks, having no thought process that a 21 yr old can improve with quality NFL coaching just so they can say "I told you so", and "same old Jets". 

This is literally the most tired argument on the board... We've heard it with Hackenberg, we've heard it with Geno, we've heard it with Sanchez, we've heard it with Pennington.  "If you don't like a player or a draft pick, and you point it out on a discussion forum, you're rooting for him to fail just so you can say you were right on the internet."  The only person I've on JN I've ever actually seen take a victory lap in the Jets failures was stoicentry when Idzik's draft picks continued to fail.

10 minutes ago, C Mart said:

Don't feed the bottom feeding trolls. They have nothing better to do than try to get a rise out of people. Either that or they just started watching football. 

1 hour ago, Matt39 said:

It's 2016. If you're not looking promising early the tides start moving towards its not going to happen. The days of going on scholarship are over. Just look at Amaro

You see tomorrow's lottery winners too?  

There has been a general change in philosophy and many teams don't believe in starting high draft picks at Qb. Wentz was also going to be no.3 on his team until they made that trade which wouldn't have happened if Teddy wasn't injured. So Goff isn't a bust and neither is Hack. 

1 hour ago, Matt39 said:

As bad as the Hackenberg pick looks at least that's not the Jets. 

Smh. Hackenberg pick bad? Hackenberg pick was gutsy. And gutsy is good because you have to hit on a gutsy pick once in awhile to be great. With the lack of quality  Qbs around a GM has to be creative, and IMHO Mac was creative and gutsy. It took balls to make that pick knowing  fans like you and the media would be looking bury him immediately. Hackenberg was on the path to be the #1 pick as a freshman, then the bottom fell out Penn State first, then the bottom fell out of Hackenberg second. There is a  possibility that he can turn out great. Gutsy pick if it pans out. I'd take it every time .....

1 hour ago, Smashmouth said:

so with minimal reps Hack led a nice TD drive and showed a strong arm and nice touch on the TD pass to Anderson ..what else would you like to see at this stage ?

Somebody post a pic of Hackenberg dabbing so we can preemptively close the books on spirited Smashmouth Hack posts for the next five years, 

18 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

I don't get how on earth this is still a thing. The same people just wasted 10 years arguing this same nonsense based on nothing but anecdotal evidence and poorly contrived theories about Mark Sanchez and Geno Smith. And we're still shouting down anyone looking at anything empirical?

"People in this country have had enough of experts"

20 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

I don't get how on earth this is still a thing. The same people just wasted 10 years arguing this same nonsense based on nothing but anecdotal evidence and poorly contrived theories about Mark Sanchez and Geno Smith. And we're still shouting down anyone looking at anything empirical?

Slow down there, Mr. Wizard. Do you or do you not have tomorrow's lottery numbers?

1 hour ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

Why is it that a rookie QB being inactive for the first game of his career is a big deal? Also, it could just be Jeff Fisher sucking out loud again. 

@DVOND is the biggest Rams fan I know. He has been saying how bad their new QB looks.

1 hour ago, sourceworx said:

Everyone forgets that Bryce Petty looked pretty bad last year. A little time to get acclimated to the pro game can sometimes work wonders. 

This is false. Preseason Rookie Petty looked better than preseason Geno, Sanchez and Hack. 

I urge anyone making even a "just saying" comparison between Goff and Hackenberg go back and watch the difference between the two in the face of pressure.  Everyone talks about Hack taking a beating in college.  So did Goff.  The difference is Goff stands in there knowing he will get whacked and delivers the ball accurately  time and time again.  Hack chuck and ducks inaccurately.  Goff is not superstar material, but he will be just fine.  He can certainly play Matt Ryan, Andy Dalton, Kirk Cousins, Blake Bortles, Alex Smith ball. 

41 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Somebody post a pic of Hackenberg dabbing so we can preemptively close the books on spirited Smashmouth Hack posts for the next five years, 

look Im just trying to be positive about the situation and say lets not judge the kid until we actually see him get some work in ..is that too much to ask ?

18 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

Hard Knocks tells a different story!

I wanted to watch Hard Knocks but I didn't get a chance to. That said didn't Goff have a completion % of like 44 and 5 turnovers? I am not saying he won't be good. I am saying that when I sat next to the biggest Rams fan I know at the Springsteen concert I expected him to be pumped for his new QB. He wasn't.

44 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

This is false. Preseason Rookie Petty looked better than preseason Geno, Sanchez and Hack. 

... and Fitzpaycheck.

I gotta say I was pleasantly surprised by Petty (and Hack) this preseason. I definitely think they're both future starter material. 

While Goff looked terrified and lost, Petty looked like he enjoyed every minute, like it was easy. That's a good sign. I'd love to see him start.

1 hour ago, RutgersJetFan said:

10 years...not 10 weeks. Next year if these guys do not show improvement you can start talking about busts without looking like a troll. 

3 minutes ago, jetrider said:

... and Fitzpaycheck.

I gotta say I was pleasantly surprised by Petty (and Hack) this preseason. I definitely think they're both future starter material. 

While Goff looked terrified and lost, Petty looked like he enjoyed every minute, like it was easy. That's a good sign. I'd love to see him start.

I'm shocked that you were surprised.

As far as I've heard you know whether a player is any good or not by their 2nd preseason game...sooner most of the time.  

Archived