Fire in MetLife Stadium parking lot erupts before Jets kickoff

Maxman

Anyone see this today?

http://nj1015.com/fire-in-metlife-stadium-parking-lot-erupts-before-jets-kickoff/

EAST RUTHERFORD — Six cars caught fire in the parking lot of MetLife Stadium Sunday afternoon just minutes before kickoff for the New York Jets game.

New Jersey State Police Sgt. 1st Class Gregory Williams told NJ Advance Media that the blaze was caused by hot coals left on the ground by tailgaters.

Police said three of the vehicles involved had to be towed from the scene, according to the article. Williams could not immediately be reached for comment regarding the investigation or whether any summonses will be issued.

14 hours ago, jetscrazey said:

Seen this happen just 6 cars over from me at a Mets game once.  One car got completely torched, and the ones next to it got significantly damaged.  Can't put those coals out under cars.  They're never extingusihed as soon as you think they are.

Ive seen drunk fans put bbq grills still with coals under their gas tanks. 

I always bring a gallon of water to drown the coals from reigniting. 

1 minute ago, PatriotReign37 said:

Ive seen drunk fans put bbq grills still with coals under their gas tanks. 

I always bring a gallon of water to drown the coals from reigniting. 

LOL me too!  I once saw a guy put a lit charcoal grill in the back of his pickup truck a few people warned him and he took it out. 

i predict sooner or later MetLife will ban charcoal grills and force everyone to use propane grills 

3 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

LOL me too!  I once saw a guy put a lit charcoal grill in the back of his pickup truck a few people warned him and he took it out. 

i predict sooner or later MetLife will ban charcoal grills and force everyone to use propane grills 

That would suck, but is propane safer?

4 hours ago, Hofstra Jet said:

Anyone know what lot this was in? 

I was a few lanes over in L12 and the fire seemed to be near L13.

I was JUST locking my car and heading in at 12:55pm when you just saw HUGE WHITE plumes of smoke. I didn't bother to go over, but it was obvious someone was careless with their coals/grill and it lit up a car, all the more of a shame for the innocent adjacent cars caught up as collateral damage. I always ensure - and usually have the same - the tailgaters near me and am usually the LAST to head in SPECIFICALLY for this reason. I've seen a LOT of drunken idiots who are too lazy and stupid to properly put out their respective fires or just dump their glowing hot coals without regard in the least. 

Let this be a lesson to all in terms of due diligence in ensuring safety for everyone attending games. 

16 hours ago, Larz said:

Year's ago I told a buddy to stop cooking 45 minutes before going in. He didn't. He tried to put his hot grill in his trunk. I made him leave it in the lot.  sure enough it was gone when we came out. Beats a car fire

i knew it was your fault!!!

Archived