Alright, how fixable are the problems?

Integrity28

1 hour ago, Larz said:

The jets won the last 5 openers and didn't make the playoffs once.  I work in mysterious ways

9 minutes ago, Miss Lonelyhearts said:

Larz. Please.

5 minutes ago, JiF said:

So the only reason I predicted a win yesterday was because I was there and we always win when I'm there and we always win home openers.  So, when both of those things didnt happen and we choked that game away...the only silver lining I could think of was...well, we missed the playoffs in 5 straight years when we won the opener, maybe this year is reversed?

Do your work O'Captain, My Captain or I will start a mutiny to get EY back at the helm.

That was a short honeymoon.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

I started the thread, smart guy.

All you had to do was pay attention to my first response to you, where I gave you context for its irrelevance. Then you wouldn't be reminding us that you're stupid.

You started the thread?  WTF does that have to do with me responding to Augustiniak?  And you jumping in acting like a total dick thinking you own all converstation.  Then call me stupid?  Brilliant 

This isn't the first time you've jumped the gun when you don't have a clue of what you're talking about.   

11 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

You started the thread?  WTF does that have to do with me responding to Augustiniak?  And you jumping in acting like a total dick thinking you own all converstation.  Then call me stupid?  Brilliant 

This isn't the first time you've jumped the gun when you don't have a clue of what you're talking about.   

You are stupid.

In my initial reply to you, I pointed out both that you were wrong about the veteran players, and that it's irrelevant in context to the problems being discussed. Stating 'who cares', to which you tried to argue and I said 'whatever' because, as I said, who cares, and you started bugging out.

Keep ranting and raving dude... You're really teaching me a lesson.

3 hours ago, slats said:

I hope it's not a four year project (our fans will run Mac and Bowles out of town way before that's over), but, yeah, this is a rebuilding team. People got way too excited about 10 wins against an extremely weak schedule last season. There's still more roster building and coach growing to do here. 

Waiting for a rebuild is like waiting for Godot.  This rebuild mentality that I hear fans expressing is just dumb, IMHO. :) 

13 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

You are stupid.

In my initial reply to you, I pointed out both that you were wrong about the veteran players, and that it's irrelevant in context to the problems being discussed. Stating 'who cares', to which you tried to argue and I said 'whatever' because, as I said, who cares, and you started bugging out.

Keep ranting and raving dude... You're really teaching me a lesson.

It wasn't irrelevant as I was talking to someone who brought it up.  We didn't think it was irrelevant.  I've told this to you more than once.  Only you do not get this.  

I'm not ranting, it's fun to make you chase post after post not able to shut up.  You're just unable to stop.  It's amusing. But that's twice you've felt so insecure that you needed to call me stupid.  Two things, one, I'm not stupid and two, id bet you wouldn't call me stupid to my face.  Grow up 

Either everyone on the team around Fitz plays perfect, or you find a better replacement than Fitz. Since we're not finding a replacement for Fitz, you have to hope everyone plays perfect. You can't have Marshall dropping passes and Folk missing FG's. Frankly against top tier competition what you saw from Fitz yesterday was about as good as he gets. Fitz is never ever going to be a guy that carries the team on his shoulders.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Miss Lonelyhearts said:

Larz. Please.

I hear what @Larz is sayin

Im pickin up what he is laying down

I take back what I said about him in the parking lot car fire thread.  these cars and/or their owners were not meant to be there for future home games.  this guy has got it!!!

1 hour ago, Klecko73isGod said:

That was a short honeymoon.

its not easy to control the actions of 100 people 50 miles away with internet posts.  It's a process. I have a lot of room for improvement, but I'm going to study the tape and find out what went wrong and fix it.

2 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

It wasn't irrelevant as I was talking to someone who brought it up.  We didn't think it was irrelevant.  I've told this to you more than once.  Only you do not get this.  

I'm not ranting, it's fun to make you chase post after post not able to shut up.  You're just unable to stop.  It's amusing. But that's twice you've felt so insecure that you needed to call me stupid.  Two things, one, I'm not stupid and two, id bet you wouldn't call me stupid to my face.  Grow up 

You're melting down because I dismissed something you said. To the extent you're talking tough about real life confrontation. Listen to yourself... A model of stability.

But I need to grow up.

You're right. I wouldn't call you stupid in person. I dial it back here because of forum rules. 

I truthfully don't know what your issue is, well with me that is. In general, I think I've got it figured out.

5 hours ago, Integrity28 said:

You're melting down because I dismissed something you said. To the extent you're talking tough about real life confrontation. Listen to yourself... A model of stability.

But I need to grow up.

You're right. I wouldn't call you stupid in person. I dial it back here because of forum rules. 

I truthfully don't know what your issue is, well with me that is. In general, I think I've got it figured out.

You're the one who has the problem, feels the need to tell people what they can or can't discuss.  As someone else has said, put me on ignore and move on.  

18 hours ago, Integrity28 said:

By all accounts, going back to last season and week 17 specifically, these are the recurring problems that lead to losses:

• Defense cannot close, allows scoring drive in final minutes of 4th quarter and relinquish lead
  • Fitz cannot bail the defense out, in the 4th quarter, with the game on the line, after a momentum shift just stole the lead from us (there have been exceptions to this, but let's face it, he's not the comeback kid)
  • Fitz struggles to get in rhythm early in games
  • Revis cannot be on an "island" with #1 WR
  • Secondary cannot defend wheel routes and bubble screens
  • Marshall makes drops in game-changing moments
  • Defensive coaches don't make good in-game adjustments in coverage
  • Offensive/head coaches don't manage clock well
  • Offensive coaches are generally conservative in red zone, and don't keep their foot on the gas with a lead
  • Folk is missing easy kicks
  • Special teams makes momentum-changing mistakes

I wonder, as I look down this list, how much of it is fixable with improved execution and coaching? The knee-jerk is to cut this guy, and cut that guy... but the reality is, the roster is what it's going to be. As the pre-season fades into the rear view, and reps increase, what can we expect (realistically) to see improvement on?

All things fixable except we need better QB play, especially against the teams with a better than average QB.  

6 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

You're the one who has the problem, feels the need to tell people what they can or can't discuss.  As someone else has said, put me on ignore and move on.  

Nope. Never discouraged you from contributing, just said your point was irrelevant. I'm not the one bellyaching here... Do you always sh*t yourself over nothing?

Keep responding. I'm not above mocking you all day.

19 hours ago, Integrity28 said:

By all accounts, going back to last season and week 17 specifically, these are the recurring problems that lead to losses:

• Defense cannot close, allows scoring drive in final minutes of 4th quarter and relinquish lead
  • Fitz cannot bail the defense out, in the 4th quarter, with the game on the line, after a momentum shift just stole the lead from us (there have been exceptions to this, but let's face it, he's not the comeback kid)
  • Fitz struggles to get in rhythm early in games
  • Revis cannot be on an "island" with #1 WR
  • Secondary cannot defend wheel routes and bubble screens
  • Marshall makes drops in game-changing moments
  • Defensive coaches don't make good in-game adjustments in coverage
  • Offensive/head coaches don't manage clock well
  • Offensive coaches are generally conservative in red zone, and don't keep their foot on the gas with a lead
  • Folk is missing easy kicks
  • Special teams makes momentum-changing mistakes

I wonder, as I look down this list, how much of it is fixable with improved execution and coaching? The knee-jerk is to cut this guy, and cut that guy... but the reality is, the roster is what it's going to be. As the pre-season fades into the rear view, and reps increase, what can we expect (realistically) to see improvement on?

This thread is going well.

Good job on this Integrity.

Fitz is Meh...  No surprise there.  He played well enough to win but he is a lower-middle pack QB where our only other practical alternative is the worst starter in the NFL.

Personally I am concerned that the decline in #24 is steeper than we had generally acknowledged.  That would be a huge issue in a world where the entire secondary is undermanned to begin with.

Good Marshall/Bad Marshall.  In one year and one game with the Jets he has now done this at least three or maybe four times.  Just huge drops of easy passes or bonehead plays in the biggest parts of the biggest games.  This is not new here with the Jets.  In fact it is his MO with every team.  Go ask fans of the Bears, Dolphins or Broncos.  He has been doing this for years.  Just something we will need to learn to live with.

Todd is not as bad as Rex in terms of being a bad game day manager but he is closer to Rex on the continuum than he is to Bill Belichick.  It is pretty bad actually.  Makes me wish we had Eric Mangini back sometimes.  Dick Curl is not just a condition purportedly belonging to an ex president of the United States.  Maybe it is time to resurrect the idea if not the specific implementation. 

Vaunted defense cannot close.... Yes indeed.  Assuming Folk is a one-week problem this becomes the biggest concern for me.  For YEARS some here have been praising this defense to the sky and yet we are an automatic fold for our opponents in crunch time.  We NEVER get the big stop.  Not ever.  You would think we might luck into one every now and then but there is something in the DNA of this team which prevents it from showing up when the game is on the line on our opponents final possession.

14 minutes ago, EM31 said:

Vaunted defense cannot close.... Yes indeed.  Assuming Folk is a one-week problem this becomes the biggest concern for me.  For YEARS some here have been praising this defense to the sky and yet we are an automatic fold for our opponents in crunch time.  We NEVER get the big stop.  Not ever.  You would think we might luck into one every now and then but there is something in the DNA of this team which prevents it from showing up when the game is on the line on our opponents final possession.

David Harris is The Devil.

He's the one constant in the middle of this defense in the "never get the big stop not ever" era. 

SAR I

2 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Some of these things are not fixable because the team has not fixed them from last year.  Green is a great WR but our efforts at limiting him were pure garbage.

This.  People who thought this team had a 11-14 win season in them were delusional.

No more Revis Island but he's getting 17 this year and is still better than most Dbs. He just can't cover the elite receivers on his own anymore. Which puts him in the majority. I hope the D coaches can figure out a better plan for the secondary. What we proved on Sunday is that we can be a competitive team with the big boys. We actually for most of the game outplayed them Bowles just has to figure out how to close the deal. Nobody said we were going to win 11-14. I think ten is a fair prediction and should get you into the playoffs. 

24 minutes ago, SAR I said:

David Harris is The Devil.

He's the one constant in the middle of this defense in the "never get the big stop not ever" era. 

SAR I

Unpopular to say, but true. I had thought Brick's blah attitude was an influencer to the team's culture, including this, but he's gone now. 

Revis wasn't great with NEP either. He hasn't been since his Jets injury. But as BB did you can win with him if you take advantage of his present skills and great competitiveness. NEP wasn't going to give him crazy money the way Woody did. But since we're paying him (and can't get out of it at least for 2016) we can get productivity from him and needed leadership. 

4 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

No more Revis Island but he's getting 17 this year and is still better than most Dbs. He just can't cover the elite receivers on his own anymore. Which puts him in the majority. I hope the D coaches can figure out a better plan for the secondary. What we proved on Sunday is that we can be a competitive team with the big boys. We actually for most of the game outplayed them Bowles just has to figure out how to close the deal. Nobody said we were going to win 11-14. I think ten is a fair prediction and should get you into the playoffs. 

10 wins may not get us in, again.

Look around the league. All the strength is in the AFC. Raiders, Chiefs, Broncos, Bengals, Steelers, Texans, Colts, Jaguars, Steelers, and Pats... all teams that have legitimate shot at playoff berth. If we're getting in, then we need to BEAT these teams when we play them. Not just hope we beat everyone in between. 

6 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

Unpopular to say, but true. I had thought Brick's blah attitude was an influencer to the team's culture, including this, but he's gone now. 

Glad you see it that way, going after David Harris is as unpopular as going after The Compiler or The King Of Pain around here, but Harris has been the quarterback of the defense forever and it isn't hard to connect the dots to our predictable meltdowns at the end of games.

SAR I

21 hours ago, The Crusher said:

Nothing about getting pressure on the QB. Yay.

Shows just how over rated sacks are. With all of the legitimate problems stated by the OP, one I do not agree with is Fitz not bailing out the D. The O drove down and kicked 2 4th Q FG's to give us the lead, which should have been enough to win this game had the "top 5 defense" not folded like a deck of cards on the last drive and closed out the goddamned game for once. This is a recurring theme with this supposedly "top 5 defense". Remember we have Fitz, not Ben, not Brady, not Luck so if our "top 5 defense" is given a lead late in the game, I would expect them to be able to make a play or 2 to stop the opponents last drive.

I am sorry guys and gals, I am just so sick of hearing about our "top 5 defense" that can never ever make a play to win a game. I have to be honest, every time we have a lead with say, 2 minutes to go in a game, I turn the game off because I know exactly what is going to happen. It happened like clockwork Sunday.

5 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

Look around the league. All the strength is in the AFC. Raiders, Chiefs, Broncos, Bengals, Steelers, Texans, Colts, Jaguars, Steelers, and Pats... all teams that have legitimate shot at playoff berth. If we're getting in, then we need to BEAT these teams when we play them. Not just hope we beat everyone in between. 

IMO that's our max. Ten wins. It usually gets you in. But I'm not saying impossible to win 11. We almost did last year. I think the NEP W has people a little too depressed. But you've got to give them credit they beat a good team but by two points. We can beat Arizona too. But they will have to do a better job covering Fitzgerald. 

6 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

Bingo, and that's the fault in our stars for this season now that we've lost the must-win home opener.

To get to 3-3 we need to go 3-2 now and so, for better or worse, if we are to be a playoff team we are going to have to beat Buffalo, KC, and Pittsburgh this month.  Losing to Cincinnati not only means we have to win 3 of our next 5 but it also means we have to overcome the wildcard/conference hit of losing to the Bengals.  Losing to KC and Pittsburgh while beating Seattle and Arizona isn't the same as 3-3, in the AFC that's the same as 2-4 or worse.

SAR I

Archived