RG3 placed on IR; ineligible to return until Week 10 (at earliest)

Jetsfan80

That didn't take long.  This means he'll miss the Jets game on October 30 for sure.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000701223/article/browns-place-robert-griffin-iii-on-injured-reserve

Browns place Robert Griffin III on injured reserve

Robert Griffin III's first season with the Cleveland Browns is in jeopardy.

The Browns placed RGIII on injured reserve Monday after announcing he had suffered a fractured coracoid bone in his left shoulder during their loss to the Eagles on Sunday.

Under the new injured reserve rules for the 2016 season, each team can designate one player to return. Designation does not need to be made until that player is able to return to practice. A player placed on injured reserve is eligible to return to practice in six weeks and must miss a minimum of eight games.

Around the NFL will have more on this story shortly.

7 minutes ago, PS17 said:

And Wentz, the guy they passed on, beat them like a drum.

Could always be worse, Jets fans. We could be Cleveland. 

This is what I say every time I start to think "same old Jets"...because that's wayyyyy better than being the Browns.

Wentz was the biggest surprise of the day. After Philly traded Bradford some Eagles players were griping about it and saying the team was giving up on the season. Well they're not saying that now. Not sure if this injury by RG3 is related to his Redskins days but in 2015 the reason he was inactive in all 16 games was because Wash was afraid he'd get injured and they'd have to pay him. 

8 minutes ago, AFJF said:

This is what I say every time I start to think "same old Jets"...because that's wayyyyy better than being the Browns.

Not really true. Browns fans never have a reason to feel positive, therefore can never feel the let-down. Plus, they at least get a shot at elite QBs come draft day.

7 minutes ago, kevinc855 said:

When I think I have it rough as a Jet fan I realize I coulda been born a Browns fan

Before the Bengals were founded in 1968 by Paul Brown, I was a Browns fan. Browns games were all they showed on Sundays in and around Ohio. Now I just feel sorry for them. 

1 minute ago, predator_05 said:

confession: i thought he was the best of the 3 QBs that emerged in 2012 (Luck, Wilson, RG3).

Talent-wise he might still be to this day.  Dude has a cannon without losing a ton of accuracy on deep balls, and of course can run.  But he just never can figure out how to protect his body and prodigious skillset.

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Talent-wise he might still be to this day.  Dude has a cannon without losing a ton of accuracy on deep balls, and of course can run.  But he just never can figure out how to protect his body and prodigious skillset.

Exactly, he was a generational talent. Far more advanced than Wilson at the same stage.

Washington ruined him, they are one of those franchises that make us feel better about ourselves.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000701300/article/hue-jackson-browns-wont-trade-for-a-quarterback

Hue Jackson: Cleveland Browns won't trade for QB

For the second year in a row, the Browns have lost their starting quarterback to injury in the season-opener.

With Robert Griffin III floating off to injured reserve with a battered non-throwing shoulder, Cleveland -- already facing a talent crisis on offense -- will toss veteran Josh McCown back into the fray ahead of massively raw rookie Cody Kessler.

The Browns also have first-year passer Kevin Hogan on the practice squad, but Cleveland -- in a familiar theme -- is flirting with a total free-fall at the position. Coach Hue Jackson, though, isn't about to deal for a signal-caller.

"I learned not to trade," Jackson quipped Monday. "Don't do that."

Jackson is speaking from experience. During his one-year stint as coach of the Raiders in 2011, he was widely criticized for shipping a first- and second-round pick to the Bengals in exchange for Carson Palmer after veteran Jason Campbell was lost to injury.

"I learned a valuable lesson in that situation, but I was just having a little fun right there," Jackson said. "I learned that if the team has been around the guy, who has a chance to be a quarterback, you're better off keeping the guy you have ... just because there's continuity. The guys know what to expect from that player and how he�s going to perform and what he's going to do. That was the biggest teacher for me."

Jackson went on to praise McCown, saying the journeyman passer gives the Browns something Oakland didn't have when Campbell went down.

"I hate to compare," Jackson said, "but we have a very capable backup here, a guy who has played in the National Football League for a lot of years and knows how to play and understands the lay of the land here and what needs to be done and I'm excited about that."

Ever the optimist, Jackson spoke enthusiastically on Monday about coaching up a roster with plenty of holes on both sides of the ball. To be fair, it's his only option.

Browns fans have been through decades of insanity and gridiron-based trauma, but here's the bottom line: With or without Griffin, this team is swirling toward a top-three draft pick.

Executive VP of football operations Sashi Brown said all along that Year 1 of the team's latest "relaunch" would be the hardest for fans to endure as the club accrues draft picks, reimagines the roster and embarks on a team-building plan for the long haul.

The worst approach would be to overspend for a low-ceiling veteran. While the list of free-agent help -- a heaping mass of no-namers like Ryan Lindley, McLeod Bethel-Thompson, Pat Devlin, Josh Freeman and (an ancient) Mike Vick -- don't offer inspiration, this year's Browns were never going to pique society's imagination to begin with.

This is a rotten place to be heading into Week 2, but it doesn't feel particularly more dire than the vast majority of Browns seasons dating back to their ill-fated relaunch back in 1999.

It's time for this ever-rebooting franchise to dig in, ignore the white noise, believe in their plan and pray the storms of dark magic surrounding this organization finally dry up and let the sunshine back in.

2 hours ago, JetPotato said:

Not really true. Browns fans never have a reason to feel positive, therefore can never feel the let-down. Plus, they at least get a shot at elite QBs come draft day.

Exactly my point.  They've got it far worse than any fan base in the NFL.

2 hours ago, Rangers9 said:

Wentz was the biggest surprise of the day. After Philly traded Bradford some Eagles players were griping about it and saying the team was giving up on the season. Well they're not saying that now. Not sure if this injury by RG3 is related to his Redskins days but in 2015 the reason he was inactive in all 16 games was because Wash was afraid he'd get injured and they'd have to pay him. 

Been saying it all along Wentz was the best in the draft 

1 hour ago, Larz said:

the browning rifle had a great debut, lets not put wentz in canton yet

+1

He just beat the concensus 31st worst team in the NFL who lost their starting QB, lol. Let's see what happens when they play a real team.

Archived