Forte (Rather Than Ivory) Is Part of the Problem

Warfish

2 minutes ago, Kleckineau said:

Ivory would make the first tackler pay and most times get positive yardage. Forte goes down. Stick a fork in him he is done.

Are you watching? Forte wiggles his way out of first tacklers better than any back on the Jets since Curtis.  He's not a bulldozer but he DOES make tacklers miss.  We saw it in the first two games.  

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, Kleckineau said:

Ivory would make the first tackler pay and most times get positive yardage. Forte goes down. Stick a fork in him he is done.

Yeah, I think you're oversimplifying here. If your RB is getting hit AT THE LOS does it really matter if the first guy pays? And, really, in these violent collisions BOTH guys pay, which eventually diminishes the ability and production of the RB. Forte is getting GANG tackled AND as DCat mentioned, is actually making yards after first contact.

Part of the issue, in my opinion, is the approach to the RB position that this team has taken for the last 10 years.  Thomas Jones (29), Ladainian Tomlinson (31), Chris Johnson (29),  Matt Forte (30).  All once great backs that were past their prime when we brought them in.  RBs get old awfully quickly in this league -- not many can be a feature back in their 30s.  

And look at our drafts.  We have not drafted a running back since Powell in 2011 (not counting Bohanon who was a FB).  RB is a young man's position.  Over 110 RBs have been taken in the draft since Powell, including at least two by 30 teams, and we have not selected any.  Tanny, Idzik, Macc all seem to take the same approach, sign or trade for an aging vet and hope he can recapture his youth.   2017 will be a great year for RBs in the draft.  We have to dip into that pool for a change.

3 minutes ago, Lith said:

Part of the issue, in my opinion, is the approach to the RB position that this team has taken for the last 10 years.  Thomas Jones (29), Ladainian Tomlinson (31), Chris Johnson (29),  Matt Forte (30).  All once great backs that were past their prime when we brought them in.  RBs get old awfully quickly in this league -- not many can be a feature back in their 30s.  

And look at our drafts.  We have not drafted a running back since Powell in 2011 (not counting Bohanon who was a FB).  RB is a young man's position.  Over 110 RBs have been taken in the draft since Powell, including at least two by 30 teams, and we have not selected any.  Tanny, Idzik, Macc all seem to take the same approach, sign or trade for an aging vet and hope he can recapture his youth.   20017 will be a great year for RBs in the draft.  We have to dip into that pool for a change.

i wanted Todd Gurley drafted. 

3 hours ago, Warfish said:

Specifically in the Red Zone.

No one respects Forte as a red zone RB, least of all Chan Gailey.

Ivory, a pounder, demanded coverage, run-stopping fronts in the Red Zone.  Forte simply doesn't.

Forte is perfectly adequate between the 20's, he's shown that.  But where we're having our biggest problem, in the Red Zone, Forte has been all but useless.  

He's not strong enough to bull his way for 3-5 yards.  He's not a good enough reciever to get open in that close-coverage area.

The loss of this option has been painful.  Fitz has to force passes from the 3-5 yard line that should be easy running TD's.  Instead, Forte gets stuffed, Powell not used (?) and Fitz gets INT'ed or we kick FG's.

This isn't a defense of Fitz, he's the QB and if the playcall is pass, he must do so and do so successfully.  He hasn't.

But the obvious limited nature and weakness of our running game in the Red Zone is TOO obvious.  

Chan could do the whole team a favor and figure out how to get more on the ground in close, because we desperately need it.

Don't let the numbers fool you, Forte's 3 TD's all came vs. Buffalo (where everyone did great).  

Despite all those trips in the Red Zone in the other three games, Forte doesn't have a single rushing or receiving TD to his name.

Either he SI good enough, but is being under or mis-utilized, or he's not the short-field weapon we needed at RB.

I don't really think our O Line is that a run blocking unit in general.  But yeah, they suck in the red zone.  That's the biggest difference from last year to this.   Long drives early in games that lead to 3.

3 hours ago, De-Jet-Erate/Duane said:

Powell played well when used yesterday. Some nice carries for good gains. I have been saying most of this short season so far he needs to get more touches.

Remember when I was told that Powell sucked and he cant do what Forte does?  You know, average 3.6 ypc?

3 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

Khiry Robinson LOL he wasn't the answer before he got hurt Macc is a fool without a clue the RB position is a joke on this team just as the TE position prior to signing Sera-Jenkins and the QB position GEEZ 

Listen I know your frustrated but reading your posts if it were up to you we'd have like 10 players left on our team and no HC or GM.  Eveybody sucks everybody should be fired , its wayyyyyyy over the top.

I think the bigger problem is Fitz tries to force balls into tight windows in the RZ. I personally would like to see more designed fade routes. I can’t remember one we’ve thrown at all this year. Maybe some timing routes as well. Along with giving Forte or even Powell more attempts at running the ball down there. We have Fitz drop back a lot and look for the open man and more often then not in that small area he tries to force passes.

1 minute ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

I think the bigger problem is Fitz tries to force balls into tight windows in the RZ. I personally would like to see more designed fade routes. I can’t remember one we’ve thrown at all this year. Maybe some timing routes as well. Along with giving Forte or even Powell more attempts at running the ball down there. We have Fitz drop back a lot and look for the open man and more often then not in that small area he tries to force passes.

More like we have Fitz drop back and look for his first read. The problem is that once his first read is covered he doesn't have the arm strength to improvise. When the offense is clicking its because Fitz is hitting the first read.

2 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

More like we have Fitz drop back and look for his first read. The problem is that once his first read is covered he doesn't have the arm strength to improvise. When the offense is clicking its because Fitz is hitting the first read.

Macc should be fired for resigning Fitz alone amongst other things 

Yep.  Hence why Seattle was able to bring in CJ Spiller to score a TD on us.  They already have a thumper (Michael) as their current starter.  Spiller provided a complimentary skillset. 
Ivory wouldn't have been the answer because of his health (not to mention his pay).  He's the anti-Frank Gore.  Ivory got 29 yards yesterday in his slow return to the field.  He wouldn't have helped us in the early going of this season. 

Agree. Ivory has been garbage this year.

No clue why drafted Lee, if Harris is going to ( fail) cover running backs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4 hours ago, De-Jet-Erate/Duane said:

Powell played well when used yesterday. Some nice carries for good gains. I have been saying most of this short season so far he needs to get more touches.

His ability to hold onto the ball these last couple of weeks is starting to become something to be a little concerned about though.

14 minutes ago, pointman said:

His ability to hold onto the ball these last couple of weeks is starting to become something to be a little concerned about though.

One of the other things that I always liked about him was he does not fumble often. Against the Chiefs last week is all on him but yesterdays play that turned out to be an incomplete pass doesn't worry me to much. 

4 hours ago, Warfish said:

No.  I want to analyse the problems we face, and assign appropriate responsibility to all parties that have some.

Fair enough. 

You, on the other hand, seem to really believe it's just a matter of "cut Fitz, play Geno" and we'd be 4-0 because everything else is perfect.

Never said we'd be 4-0. But I know for a fact he wouldn't throw 9 picks in 2 the last 6 quarters. 

Sorry, everything else is not perfect.

Forte, as I've said, has been fine between the 20's.  He's just the wrong type of Back for a Fitz-led offense in the Red Zone.  And he lack of Red-Zone production outside the Buffalo game shows that, despite having plenty of opportunities.

Against Cincy:
First RZ Trip - no attempts. Score a TD
2nd RZ Trip - two incompletions and a zero gain pass to Powell - Blocked FG
3rd RZ Trip - TD to Decker on first attempt.
4th RZ Trip - Fitz rush on first down, Forte gets stuffed on 2nd down from the 1, and an incompletion to Decker - FG
5th RZ Trip - Forte for 3 yards from the 12, Marshall pass for 4 yards, Powell rush for 2 yards - FG
Two attempts - 2 yards, 0 TDs. No real sample size to make an opinion one way or the other.

Against Chiefs: 
First RZ Trip - Incomplete pass to BM, Forte for 2 yards from the 12, Incomplete pass to BM, FG. 
Second RZ Trip - Incomplete to Decker, should've been a pick, 2nd & 5 INTERCEPTED
Third RZ Trip - Pass to Forte for 5 yard loss, 8 yard pass to BM, DPI giving us FD at the 6, Incomplete to Enunwa, then INTERCEPTION
Fourth RZ Trip - 3 yard run by Powell, then INTERCEPTION
5 yard loss on a pass and 2 yard gain on a rush. 

Against Shehawks:
First RZ Trip - Forte for 3 yards from the 15, Fitz sacked, incomplete on 3rd and 7.
Second RZ Trip - 17 yard TD pass to BM. Solid pass for a change. 
One rush, 3 yards

Net for three games: 4 rushes for 7 yards, 1 reception for -5 yards. 

Against Bills
First RZ Trip - 4 yard rush from the 13 on 1st down
Second RZ Trip - 2 yard rush from the 20, 6 yard rush from the 18 on 2nd & 8. 
Third RZ Trip - 1st & Goal from the 4, Forte rushes for 3, and then 1 yard TD.
Fourth RZ Trip - Zero yard rush, and then passing TD to Decker
Fifth RZ Trip - 1st & Goal from the 3, Forte scores TD on the first play
Sixth RZ Trip - 2nd & 3 from the 18. Forte runs for 6, then 12 and TD
Net: 9 rushes, 37 yards, 3 TDs

Something tells me you think your 5 play sample size should take precedence over a 9 play sample size. 

/thread fail

ReG8jPf.gif

There are other, major, issues.  The Pass D is amongst the worst int he NFL.  The Specials have given up 14 points and produced very little.  Running backs have multiple fumbles.  WR's are dropping catchable balls off their hands and chests more regularly than last year.

I'll give you the pass D. Special teams had a fumble return TD against it. It has had a few nice returns too. Not the worst. Powell has fumbled at key moments, yes. We've had a few easy drops, yes, but we've also had a few nice grabs to go along. We had those same bad drops last year as well. A few tipped ints, yes, but at the same time, we've seen an enormous number of easy ints dropped. Evens out the overall play for Fitz and the 10 ints are a fair representation of his awful play, if not understating the ints. 

And, absolutely, Fitz is playing like sh*t.  Stinky, wet, slimy puppy sh*t after the puppy ate too many chocolate bars.

Indeed.

And he's earned being benched.  If Bowles chose to play Geno Sunday, I'd not like it, but I'd certainly understand it.  

If Fitz has earned benching, why would you not like it? I get the Geno hate, but its uncalled for when most of his starting WRs are out of the league (besides an injured Decker and his #3 WR Kerley).

If that's being a "Fitznutz", lol, ok. 

Yes it is.

But we ignore the multi-faceting failings of 2016 so far at our own peril.  Because we've been very bad, at a LOT fo spots this year, and some of our moves have simply not gelled with what we're designed to do, or how Chan chooses to call it.

Despite the 11 turnovers over the last two wks, the D still only gave up 18.5 ppg in those blowout losses. If a D gives mes under 20 ppg throughout the season, Im signing up for it.

Forte is a real good player, but he isn't a power back and Ivory was important esp in the red zone. Look they couldn't re-sign Ivory because of all the wear and tear on him. And he didn't finish the season well. He's already been injured with the Jags.and only has gained 43 yards and no TDs on the season. As a matter of factor Powell was our best RB the second half of the season and if he had played on week l7 we would have had a much better chance to win. Him being out for that game was important. Mac did sign the kid from NO to replace Ivory but the kid is out for the season and I think was released. I'd like to see the Jets use Forte more as a receiver. So far this season Matt has 81 rushes but only 17 targets (11 receptions). 

10 minutes ago, Larz said:

LOL

the jets redzone has been a mess this year, but it's been chan/fitz and marshall and decker not being healthy

gialey has no idea what to do with forte

Yeah, he doesn't. The games he hasn't used him there, we've lost those games. The games he did, Forte has produced. 

1 hour ago, j4jets said:

Yeah, he doesn't. The games he hasn't used him there, we've lost those games. The games he did, Forte has produced. 

I mean in general.  he needs to get forte on a LB and just throw him the damn ball. all these inside runs and screens just aren't working

13 hours ago, j4jets said:

Fair enough. 

Never said we'd be 4-0. But I know for a fact he wouldn't throw 9 picks in 2 the last 6 quarters. 

Against Cincy:
First RZ Trip - no attempts. Score a TD
2nd RZ Trip - two incompletions and a zero gain pass to Powell - Blocked FG
3rd RZ Trip - TD to Decker on first attempt.
4th RZ Trip - Fitz rush on first down, Forte gets stuffed on 2nd down from the 1, and an incompletion to Decker - FG
5th RZ Trip - Forte for 3 yards from the 12, Marshall pass for 4 yards, Powell rush for 2 yards - FG
Two attempts - 2 yards, 0 TDs. No real sample size to make an opinion one way or the other.

Against Chiefs: 
First RZ Trip - Incomplete pass to BM, Forte for 2 yards from the 12, Incomplete pass to BM, FG. 
Second RZ Trip - Incomplete to Decker, should've been a pick, 2nd & 5 INTERCEPTED
Third RZ Trip - Pass to Forte for 5 yard loss, 8 yard pass to BM, DPI giving us FD at the 6, Incomplete to Enunwa, then INTERCEPTION
Fourth RZ Trip - 3 yard run by Powell, then INTERCEPTION
5 yard loss on a pass and 2 yard gain on a rush. 

Against Shehawks:
First RZ Trip - Forte for 3 yards from the 15, Fitz sacked, incomplete on 3rd and 7.
Second RZ Trip - 17 yard TD pass to BM. Solid pass for a change. 
One rush, 3 yards

Net for three games: 4 rushes for 7 yards, 1 reception for -5 yards. 

Against Bills
First RZ Trip - 4 yard rush from the 13 on 1st down
Second RZ Trip - 2 yard rush from the 20, 6 yard rush from the 18 on 2nd & 8. 
Third RZ Trip - 1st & Goal from the 4, Forte rushes for 3, and then 1 yard TD.
Fourth RZ Trip - Zero yard rush, and then passing TD to Decker
Fifth RZ Trip - 1st & Goal from the 3, Forte scores TD on the first play
Sixth RZ Trip - 2nd & 3 from the 18. Forte runs for 6, then 12 and TD
Net: 9 rushes, 37 yards, 3 TDs

Something tells me you think your 5 play sample size should take precedence over a 9 play sample size. 

/thread fail

Thank you for proving my point perfectly.

Look at all those Red Zone possessions.

Then look at how little used, and little productive, Forte has been.

I get it, the Geno Crowd will simply not allow there to be ANY criticism or responsibility aimed at anyone but Fitz.  He is 100% responsible to you folks.  It's your narrative, it's been your narrative, it'll be your narrative tomorrow.

But the facts are pretty clear in your own data, Forte has been near-useless in the Red Zone for the Jets in 2016 outside of the Buffalo game.

So it makes me ask two questions:

1. Given the obvious limitations and failings of Fitz thus far, why has Chan not called Forte's number more often?

2. Would we have been better off with a short-yardage contact-capable back instead of the ballet-dancer style of Forte?

Because we really REALLY needed a strong runner in the red zone.  And outside of Buffalo, we haven't had one.  But he was very good in Buffalo in that role, so whats the deal?  Why keep making Fitz throw from the 5 yard line if Forte is there?  Chan think he's outsmarting everyone?

RB's can't run thru a wall of Defensive linemen. The O-line needs to open up somewhere to run. O-Line got no push at all against Hawks. When the D-penetrates and the LB's seal the ends avoiding cut backs I don't care how good you are you're not going anywhere. Possibly need to change the blocking schemes, more trap blocking something different. 

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

Thank you for proving my point perfectly.

Look at all those Red Zone possessions.

Then look at how little used, and little productive, Forte has been.

Like I said, 5 touches and no TD is your bench mark While ignoring 9 touches and 3 TD. Little usage is somehow Forte's fault  

I get it, the Geno Crowd will simply not allow there to be ANY criticism or responsibility aimed at anyone but Fitz.  He is 100% responsible to you folks.  It's your narrative, it's been your narrative, it'll be your narrative tomorrow.

Logical narrative when you see 9-10 defenders in the box daring Mr. Noodle Arm.

But the facts are pretty clear in your own data, Forte has been near-useless in the Red Zone for the Jets in 2016 outside of the Buffalo game.

Yeah, on 5 attempts on 5 different possessions, Forte failed to punch it in, mostly from beyond the 5 yard line. It's basic stuff. You are supposed to score on every touch!

So it makes me ask two questions:

1. Given the obvious limitations and failings of Fitz thus far, why has Chan not called Forte's number more often?

My question as well

2. Would we have been better off with a short-yardage contact-capable back instead of the ballet-dancer style of Forte?

For one third the cost, Forte was the obvious choice.

Because we really REALLY needed a strong runner in the red zone.  And outside of Buffalo, we haven't had one.  But he was very good in Buffalo in that role, so whats the deal?  Why keep making Fitz throw from the 5 yard line if Forte is there?  Chan think he's outsmarting everyone?

I agree. Chan needs to use Forte more in the RZ (he's on my fantasy team too!). Play it safe. 

Just now, j4jets said:

Like I said, 5 touches and no TD is your bench mark While ignoring 9 touches and 3 TD. Little usage is somehow Forte's fault  

Ignoring the statistical outliers is common practice.  Four games, one great game where everyone (including Fitz) played great.

I'm more interested in the other three games, not the one exception.

Just now, j4jets said:

Logical narrative when you see 9-10 defenders in the box daring Mr. Noodle Arm.

9-10 in the box, eh?  So 1-2 in coverage?

Lol.

Just now, j4jets said:

Yeah, on 5 attempts on 5 different possessions, Forte failed to punch it in, mostly from beyond the 5 yard line. It's basic stuff. You are supposed to score on every touch!

If you think Forte has been good enough in the red zone, or used enough, well, we can agree to disagree.  

Just now, j4jets said:

I agree. Chan needs to use Forte more in the RZ (he's on my fantasy team too!). Play it safe. 

Nothing protects bad QB play more than a reliable running attack.

17 hours ago, 56mehl56 said:

Agreed, but that's also why I'd like to see some more timing routes down in the red zone and fades. Marshall and Decker are 6'4 and 6'3 respectively. Hell, Enunwa is 6'2 and very ferocious.  Throw them some designed fade routes and let them fight for the ball. Like you said, Fitz doesn't have the arm strength to zing it into tight windows.

21 hours ago, Warfish said:

Ivory, a pounder, demanded coverage, run-stopping fronts in the Red Zone.  Forte simply doesn't.

Forte is perfectly adequate between the 20's, he's shown that.  But where we're having our biggest problem, in the Red Zone, Forte has been all but useless.  

He's not strong enough to bull his way for 3-5 yards.  He's not a good enough reciever to get open in that close-coverage area.

The loss of this option has been painful.  Fitz has to force passes from the 3-5 yard line that should be easy running TD's.  Instead, Forte gets stuffed, Powell not used (?) and Fitz gets INT'ed or we kick FG's.

This isn't a defense of Fitz, he's the QB and if the playcall is pass, he must do so and do so successfully.  He hasn't.

But the obvious limited nature and weakness of our running game in the Red Zone is TOO obvious.  

Chan could do the whole team a favor and figure out how to get more on the ground in close, because we desperately need it.

Don't let the numbers fool you, Forte's 3 TD's all came vs. Buffalo (where everyone did great).  

Despite all those trips in the Red Zone in the other three games, Forte doesn't have a single rushing or receiving TD to his name.

Either he SI good enough, but is being under or mis-utilized, or he's not the short-field weapon we needed at RB.

So you put in extra blockers and "jumbo" packages, but what you DON'T do is ignore the run becuase Fitzy is clearly not comfortable trying to squeeze balls into tght windows. How many interceptions of his have come off tipped balls? All but two by my count. Also a QB sneak wouldn't be out of the question if teams aren't loading the box. Gailey just has to get more creative. Plus Forte had like eight rushing TD's last year in Chicago, so it's not like he CAN'T do it..

Ignoring the statistical outliers is common practice.  Four games, one great game where everyone (including Fitz) played great.

Not really when that "statistical outlier" occupies almost twice the sample size you're trying to use. 

I'm more interested in the other three games, not the one exception.

Again, the one exception had almost twice the sample size.

9-10 in the box, eh?  So 1-2 in coverage?

We are talking about RZ/goal line, correct? 

If you think Forte has been good enough in the red zone, or used enough, well, we can agree to disagree.  

We've agreed he's under utilized. We can agree to disagree on his effectiveness. The 3-4 goalline yards are hard to come by on running plays. You don't average 4+ in those situations. 

Nothing protects bad QB play more than a reliable running attack.

True, but it goes hand in hand. If your QB can't throw, you RB won't be able to run. Teams dare you to attack in the air while crowding the box with 7-8 defenders in the box OUTSIDE the RZ. But I agree, Forte is under-utilized in the passing game. I guess that's where Powell makes up for it. 

We're 11th in the league in rushing and 19th in passing yardage. Thanks to Fitz' play, we've been playing catchup after all those ints and ineffective passing offense. But blame it on the runners. Anyone but Fitz. 

23 hours ago, Warfish said:

I talked a ton about Forte's red zone and short yardage inefficiency when we signed him. I was looking to Khiry to supplement him there. We didn't replace Khiry though... not sure why not.

Giving Ivory more money wasn't the solution though, said so at the time. I stand by that argument. 

This has to be one of the most absurd theories yet, no single player on the team is our problem the problem is that we have many problems. To say forte doesn't demand coverage in the reszone is a joke. The guy probably is one of the scariest red zone threats in the league because he can get in on a run or easily from a screen play to either side. If teams aren't scared of forte in the red zone is says much more about our line.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

On 10/4/2016 at 10:55 AM, Integrity28 said:

Giving Ivory more money wasn't the solution though, said so at the time. I stand by that argument. 

Aye, when I raise the issue I don't mean Ivory himself.  But someone, anyone, more durable and battering-ram-esque than Forte.

Archived