Cimini winners/losers from Jets vs. Pittsburgh

AFJF

http://www.espn.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/63806/ryan-fitzpatrick-silences-jets-qb-controversy-with-a-no-pick-outing

PITTSBURGH -- Looking at the positives and negatives (without the benefit of film review) from the New York Jets' 31-13 loss to the Pittsburgh Steelers:

FOUR UP

QB Ryan Fitzpatrick: This was a slump-busting performance by Fitzpatrick, who began the day with nine interceptions in a two-game span. He wasn't perfect (he caught a break on his touchdown pass), but he was turnover-free, his second game with no interceptions. This should quiet the people calling forGeno Smith, which makes no sense. When asked if he'd consider a quarterback change, coach Todd Bowles replied with an emphatic, "No." Fitzpatrick was sacked three times, and he prevented a few others with some nifty movement in the pocket.

WR Brandon Marshall: He set season highs with eight catches and 114 yards and also had a touchdown. Marshall was their only threat in the passing game, drawing extra coverage, yet he still managed to find some holes in the secondary. On the downside, he had a costly third-down drop early in the game, wiping out a potential scoring drive. He has four drops in five games, which isn't good.

DT Leonard Williams: He was responsible for the only big play on defense, a strip sack that resulted in a fumble recovery for Sheldon Richardson. Williams, who has a team-high five sacks, has been one of the few bright spots this season. They need more guys like him.

CB Darryl Roberts: In his first NFL game, the former New England Patriotscastoff held up reasonably well, recording two pass break-ups. Consider that the Jets had only four in the first four games. Surprisingly, Roberts leapfrogged rookie Juston Burris on the depth chart, working as the No. 3 corner. Bowles said Roberts outplayed Burris in practice, also noting that Roberts matched up better with the Steelers' receivers because of his speed. Roberts left with a shoulder injury.

FOUR DOWN

CB Marcus Williams: Elevated to the starting lineup because of Darrelle Revis' injury, Williams discovered what other corners are learning every week:Sammie Coates is very fast. He can't catch the easy ones, but he's a dangerous vertical threat. Coates blew past Williams for a 72-yard touchdown reception, the way Marquise Goodwin blew past Revis in Week 2. Afterward, Williams owned up to it. The Jets became the first team to allow three scoring passes of 70 yards or longer within the first five games of a season since the 2000 Atlanta Falcons. That's not a winning formula.

DE Muhammad Wilkerson: It was a relatively quiet game for Wilkerson (three tackles), who faced third-string tackle Chris Hubbard for much of the game. As a whole, the Jets' vaunted defensive line didn't generate much pressure. Ben Roethlisberger was pressured on only four of 48 dropbacks, but it's important to examine why. The Steelers used maximum-protection schemes, using seven to block four. Roethlisberger didn't hold the ball too long, attempting 28 passes that traveled 5 air yards or less, his highest total since 2013, per ESPN Stats & Information. He completed 22 for 172 yards and three touchdowns. That's the book on the Jets: Protect the quarterback, throw quickly and let your receivers make plays against their porous secondary.

Underneath pass coverage: It's hard to single out one player; let's just say there were across-the-board issues. They had no answer for Le'Veon Bell, who caught nine passes for 88 yards out of the backfield. Bowles said the Steelers were difficult to defend because "it was a two-headed monster. Sometimes, we had to defend the deep ball. Sometimes, we had to pressure. We thought we could get there with four, then recover. We gave [Roethlisberger] too much time. He started to dump things underneath, then he made some plays and outran us."

WR Robby Anderson: The undrafted rookie is learning the hard way that the regular season is a lot harder than the preseason. Working as the No. 3 receiver, Anderson had only one catch for 10 yards. Yeah, the Jets really miss Eric Decker.

Yes, nice game from Fitzpatrick, but without more consistent run production and please limit the dropped passes, it wasn't enough to make a difference.  The better news was Roberts, who I would consider moving ahead of Marcus Williams.  As in strongly consider.  Hope the shoulder is good.

And Marcus Williams has become my clear favorite there's no second place whipping boy this year.  I know the Jets came back to go ahead, but I think it was his getting beat deep that not only put 7 on the board but also led the CS to choose playing deep and give up too much underneath.  Williams sucks in man coverage, and the CS knows it.

Two things:

1. Fitzpatrick is a 12 year veteran who was paid $12 mil to be the starting QB here. He does not get bonus points for avoiding interceptions in a game in which his offense produced thirteen points.

2. The penchant for Mo Wilkerson to get shut down by backup offensive linemen is absolutely stunning. The knock on him coming out of Temple was that he is a dog who needed constant motivating. Bowles and Rodgers are clearly not getting to him or Sheldon, and that's a maaaaaassive problem because it speaks to a philosophical failing that you can't just reverse. It's been Bowles m.o. to treat players like adults and just cut the ones that don't toe the line, but now his star players are the ones falling back. This is death for a coach.

CImini and Bowles are morons. Fitz playing mistake free football isn't going to win us games against good teams. While Geno is a headcase, he is a far better option than FItz at this point because his upside and downside are much greater. 

We need a QB that will either take off or implode. We don't need to go 7-9 or 8-8. We need to go 10-6 or 2-14. Geno, as odd as it sounds, is that man. Granted, Geno is FAR more likely to take us to a 2-14 season, but that is OK by me. 

22 minutes ago, Big Blocker said:

Yes, nice game from Fitzpatrick, but without more consistent run production and please limit the dropped passes, it wasn't enough to make a difference.  The better news was Roberts, who I would consider moving ahead of Marcus Williams.  As in strongly consider.  Hope the shoulder is good.

And Marcus Williams has become my clear favorite there's no second place whipping boy this year.  I know the Jets came back to go ahead, but I think it was his getting beat deep that not only put 7 on the board but also led the CS to choose playing deep and give up too much underneath.  Williams sucks in man coverage, and the CS knows it.

It was NOT a nice game from Fitzpatrick. He did nothing. Just forcing the ball to Marshall and throwing dump offs. And he threw a number of balls that should have been intercepted and was very inacurrate again. not to mention that he is INCREDIBLY easy to defend since he cannot throw over the top of the defense. ZERO points on offense. He compiled some useless stats but he was terrible. In no way is that a "nice" game from Fitzpatrick. The love and rationalizations this fuucking piece of shiit QB gets is mind boggling.

Totally disagree on Fitz. He led the offense to 13 points. Led the team down the field on the 1st drive and couldn't close, again. Field goals get your team sent home after week 17.

Underneath pass coverage: It's hard to single out one player; let's just say there were across-the-board issues. 

And on this one, I would have to watch it again but to me it is either Darron Lee or the coaches. All we heard about was his speed, so he is either not being used properly or not playing well. I don't know the answer without watching it again and focusing on him, snaps etc.

Just now, Maxman said:

Totally disagree on Fitz. He led the offense to 13 points. Led the team down the field on the 1st drive and couldn't close, again. Field goals get your team sent home after week 17.

Underneath pass coverage: It's hard to single out one player; let's just say there were across-the-board issues. 

And on this one, I would have to watch it again but to me it is either Darron Lee or the coaches. All we heard about was his speed, so he is either not being used properly or not playing well. I don't know the answer without watching it again and focusing on him, snaps etc.

The myth that Darron Lee could play the pass was made up by draftniks focusing on his 40 time. 

1 minute ago, T0mShane said:

The myth that Darron Lee could play the pass was made up by draftniks focusing on his 40 time. 

I don't watch enough college football to know, but that is a scary thought. Really scary. And it seems true based on yesterday. But he was so wide open it has to be mostly scheme (I hope).

2 minutes ago, Maxman said:

I don't watch enough college football to know, but that is a scary thought. Really scary. And it seems true based on yesterday. But he was so wide open it has to be mostly scheme (I hope).

I'd be a lot happier if it was the player sucking and not the coach, because we'll survive if it's just the player.

34 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

CImini and Bowles are morons. Fitz playing mistake free football isn't going to win us games against good teams. While Geno is a headcase, he is a far better option than FItz at this point because his upside and downside are much greater. 

We need a QB that will either take off or implode. We don't need to go 7-9 or 8-8. We need to go 10-6 or 2-14. Geno, as odd as it sounds, is that man. Granted, Geno is FAR more likely to take us to a 2-14 season, but that is OK by me. 

2-14 looking fairly possible as Bowles in unprepared going into all games, and completely outmatched once inside them

10 minutes ago, Warfish said:

The QB play was 100x better than our running game (nonexistent), our defense (worst in NFL), or any WR not named Marshall yesterday.

When the QB only looks at BM, gets away from The Q after early success and only puts 13 points on the board, just how is that 100x better? Fitz has set this franchise back. The Jets are not using their young talent at QB because of him. A few of the other successful teams got younger at QB. The Jets signed Fitz for $12MM and this is what the Jets got: 1-4. 2 losses at home.

11 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Additionally, it doesn't take much ingenuity to throw underneath to the guys NOT covered by Lee.

7 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I'd be a lot happier if it was the player sucking and not the coach, because we'll survive if it's just the player.

We are now, IMO, one of the worst 3-4 teams in the league.  Our vets dont play, our coaches suck, our QB is annointed for NOT throwing a pick but how many TD's does he have in the 2nd half last few weeks?

40 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Ftz still threw  a number of crappy passes yesterday. Even his completions are ugly.  That is not the kind of QBing that will beat teams with .500 or better records and decent defenses.

12 minutes ago, jack48 said:

Ftz still threw  a number of crappy passes yesterday. Even his completions are ugly.  That is not the kind of QBing that will beat teams with .500 or better records and decent defenses.

QFT

to say he had a good day is wrong on so many levels... I was for bringing him back thinking that he and our improved defense could take a couple of these early teams and generate a few wins early in the season.

boy was i wrong

[kicks over cooler of Kool Aide]

[throws book of matches in dumpster]

30 minutes ago, Maxman said:

I think it's a mixture of both. The kid is still learning the defense and the speed of the game. He's almost always in the right spot to make a play, just hasn't yet.

Mostly, I saw safeties getting beat over the middle, David Harris getting beat until he got hurt, and Erin Henderson chasing Bell around, mostly from behind. They can't play zone well and they can't play man. They're bad on all three levels of the defense right now and it hasn't been improving, even with all of the tape in the world to break down. That's on the staff. They aren't putting players in the best position to make plays.

1 hour ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

This might be the most bizarre thing I have ever read. 

I think before Bowles gets fired he needs a serious intervention.

Woody does not like to hire veteran coaches.  I am also not getting the hire the coach before the GM thing, but the Jets may unofficially have a structure where both coach and GM report to the real Head of Football Operations, who is Woody.

But when you hire someone for a job that is a promotion, you need to give them some time and support.  That being said, Bowles does not appear to be learning from his mistakes.  We are also seeing the injuries rack up, which makes me wonder how hard the players were training in the off season.

Maybe call Parcells up and give him a consulting contract to help Bowles out?  Todd Bowles is a good man-I would try and give him more time, provided he does his best to improve what he can and there is someone who can help him improve.

Bowles' and Quinn's years are basically reversed-let's see how does better next year.  

3 hours ago, T0mShane said:

There are lots of plays Lee looks completely out of position or lost. Not sure if he isn't that sharp or he's being poorly coached. 

4 hours ago, T0mShane said:

1. Fitzpatrick is a 12 year veteran who was paid $12 mil to be the starting QB here. He does not get bonus points for avoiding interceptions in a game in which his offense produced thirteen points.

12 mil sounds like a lot but he's the 24th highest paid QB in the league. In other words he's a below average QB and he's being paid as a below average QB. 

BTW there's a huge amount of real estate between "below average starter" and "not even close to being a starter" 

The offense scored 13 points but we're doing a victory lap because Fitz didnt throw a pick?  WTF?  

Brandon was great yesterday sans the one drop.  He saved Fitz from not throwing his infamous redzone pick.

Leo is the best player on this team.

Roberts looked really good. 

Marcus Williams is being asked to guard Olympic sprinters one on one.  Not his fault he's getting burned. 

Mo was a few inches away from a game changing play.  It's fun picking him but he's the least of the Jets problems. Meanwhile, Sheldon Richardson has been rendered useless by this coaching staff.

They drafted a tiny LB'er and passed on a QB in the 1st round to stop those plays, whats the problem? 

Robby Anderson had 2 targets.  How is that his fault?

5 hours ago, AFJF said:

http://www.espn.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/63806/ryan-fitzpatrick-silences-jets-qb-controversy-with-a-no-pick-outing

PITTSBURGH -- Looking at the positives and negatives (without the benefit of film review) from the New York Jets' 31-13 loss to the Pittsburgh Steelers:

FOUR UP

QB Ryan Fitzpatrick: This was a slump-busting performance by Fitzpatrick, who began the day with nine interceptions in a two-game span. He wasn't perfect (he caught a break on his touchdown pass), but he was turnover-free, his second game with no interceptions. This should quiet the people calling forGeno Smith, which makes no sense. When asked if he'd consider a quarterback change, coach Todd Bowles replied with an emphatic, "No." Fitzpatrick was sacked three times, and he prevented a few others with some nifty movement in the pocket.

He's just ******* with us fans. Anyone who watched the game knows that was pick number 11 due to a poor throw which the cb played well until he let the ball go right through his hands. The entire league knows how to defend against fitz. They know where he's going and what he's throwing. He's like a broken record.   

Archived