Win or lose, aging Jets headed toward offseason makeover

Gas2No99

Win or lose, aging Jets headed toward offseason makeover

Thanks for all the great questions this week. If the New York Jets' play matched the quality of your questions, they'd be 4-1, not 1-4.

@RichCimini: I've got news for you, Paul. I see a lot of moving and shaking next offseason, regardless of how the rest of the season plays out. The Jets have a bunch of older, highly paid players, and some of them will have to be released for the team to get under the cap.

I think general manager Mike Maccagnan and coach Todd Bowles started out with a two-year plan, taking a win-now approach without destroying their flexibility beyond 2017. Maccagnan likes to call it a "competitive rebuild," which is a fancy way of saying they want to have their cake and eat it, too. It's a difficult thing to do because you're trying to balance present and future. It looked like it was working last season, but it turned sideways in recent weeks.

Right now, the Jets have $166.5 million committed to next season's cap, according to overthecap.com, which projects the base cap at $166 million. A lot of that is funny money, though, because the Jets can dump salary fairly easily.

They have two players in the over-30 category with huge cap numbers: Darrelle Revis ($15.3 million) and Ryan Clady ($10.5 million). Neither player will return at those numbers, if at all. Others in the over-30 group are Nick Mangold ($9.1 million), Brandon Marshall ($7.5 million), David Harris ($6.5 million) and Breno Giacomini ($5.1 million). Clearly, Mangold, Marshall and Harris still are productive players, but you can't keep everyone. Giacomini likely won't be back. A handful of other veterans also will be on the chopping block.

So, yes, I see a significant turnover in the offseason, a changing of the guard, so to speak. The good news is, the Jets have 14 rookie/first-year players on the roster (compared to nine in 2015), which gives them a pipeline of young talent. But they need more of it and they need an answer at quarterback. That's a topic for another day.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Marshall and Mangold stay, Clady restructures. 

Can't wait for Harris and Revis to be gone.  They're the overpaid, lazy stalwarts of a defense that for a decade that doesn't show up for big games and can't make a big stop late to save a game.  Good riddance.

SAR I

Typical trimming of the fat on older players who don't justify their salary with their current production. 

The Tannenbaum picks are due to expire : Mangold, Revis, and Harris so better a year early than a year too late. 

the KEY is finding a LT whether it's Clady restructured (which he did PRIOR to approving the trade to land here) or signing an established FA or selecting a STUD in the draft to man the blind side. 

3 minutes ago, drdetroit said:

Marshall, Mangold and Clady are staying.

Harris and Giacommini are gone.

Revis we should restructure and move to Free Safety

I'd rather just pay a good, young free safety to be our free safety. Revis' best play came when he could jam people at the line, disrupt their routes, and was athletic enough to basically run the receiver's route for them. I don't see how those strenghts translate to elite safety play, and make no mistake, he's going to expect to be a top-paid safety. 

3 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

I'd rather just pay a good, young free safety to be our free safety. Revis' best play came when he could jam people at the line, disrupt their routes, and was athletic enough to basically run the receiver's route for them. I don't see how those strenghts translate to elite safety play, and make no mistake, he's going to expect to be a top-paid safety. 

We have been looking for a safety who could cover since we got rid of Victor Green in 2001.

Sam Garnes, Eric Smith, Jim Leonhard, Pryor, Gilchrist -  they all sucked and literally any tight end has been able to abuse us for 15 friggin years now

Just move Revis to safety.  So sick of watching garbage at that position over and over and over and over

48 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Can't wait for Harris and Revis to be gone.  They're the overpaid, lazy stalwarts of a defense that for a decade that doesn't show up for big games and can't make a big stop late to save a game.  Good riddance.

SAR I

Yes get rid of Revis because Williams and all the other scrubs have played CB so well here this year its all Revis's fault my prediction the Geno hate goes to Revis next. 

1 minute ago, joewilly12 said:

Yes get rid of Revis because Williams and all the other scrubs have played CB so well here this year its all Revis's fault my prediction the Geno Hate goes to Revis next. 

The amateur capologists really enjoyed watching the D'Mitri Pattersons and Kyle Wilsons get destroyed on a weekly basis 

3 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Yes get rid of Revis because Williams and all the other scrubs have played CB so well here this year its all Revis's fault my prediction the Geno hate goes to Revis next. 

Darrelle Revis should be our Ray Lewis, not only a formerly great player but a vocal leader, a mentor, and someone who inspires others and raises everyone's level of play.

And instead, he's quiet and selfish and lazy, you can see the "it's just a paycheck" look in his eyes.  Jets fans pretend we love and admire him, but we really don't.

SAR I

3 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Darrelle Revis should be our Ray Lewis, not only a formerly great player but a vocal leader, a mentor, and someone who inspires others and raises everyone's level of play.

And instead, he's quiet and selfish and lazy, you can see the "it's just a paycheck" look in his eyes.  Jets fans pretend we love and admire him, but we really don't.

SAR I

Maybe he doesn't like Todd Bowles or Kacey Rodgers or both being they both suck and the D is terrible because of them,ever think of that. 

Sure knock our Hall of Fame CB thats the spirit of a real fan.

6 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

The most positions in football are QB, CB1, LT, C, and edge pass rusher. 

Make your own jokes.

You left out a word, I think.

But yes, I've tried to get many here to wrap their heads around the idea of high-cost positions as it relates to the draft, to no (or little) avail.

31 minutes ago, FTL Jet Fan said:

Looks like LT or CB in round 1. 

Both Lawrence Taylor and Cornelius Bennett retired years ago.

Side note: I remember reading some sportswriter talking about how LT and CB were the big things in 1990 and there would be a headline like "LT sacks CB as NY wins SB in OT".  Ugh - might've have been in TV Guide (for those who remember what that is).   Also I think I added the "as NY wins SB in OT" part (or at least some of it - can't fully remember).

1 hour ago, SAR I said:

SAR I

I hear you on this.  But I would like to see Revis at FS before cutting the cord completely.  I was one of the few didn't want the mercenary back at all after he helped the Cheats win a SB.  But now that he is here, I think it is worth a look to see if he can become a great FS... albeit an overpaid one.  We know that the mercenary would never restructure.

1 hour ago, drdetroit said:

Marshall, Mangold and Clady are staying.

Harris and Giacommini are gone.

Revis we should restructure and move to Free Safety

Marshall at 7.5 is good value.

Honestly, Clady at 10 isn't that bad for a good left tackle on a deal with no dead money going forward. 

Revis at 13 base is awful

1 hour ago, SAR I said:

SAR I

Any love for Revis are feelings for a memory of when he was truly a great player. If we were able to wash those memories away and only cheered for what we see on the field now those cheers would be mostly BOOOOOOOS

3 hours ago, Gas2No99 said:

So, yes, I see a significant turnover in the offseason, a changing of the guard, so to speak. The good news is, the Jets have 14 rookie/first-year players on the roster (compared to nine in 2015), which gives them a pipeline of young talent. But they need more of it and they need an answer at quarterback. That's a topic for another day.

This is what I've been saying. Get more young talent in.and have them develop

1 minute ago, joewilly12 said:

Competitive young talent is  fine but the time to evaluate these guys isn't on game day. We cant continue throwing slug after slug on the field when it counts. 

If we're out of it, what's the harm? We lose this week, we are 1-5. I think, as do others, that the Cleveland game would be the earliest to begin the transformation.

Just now, UnitedWhofans said:

If we're out of it, what's the harm? We lose this week, we are 1-5. I think, as do others, that the Cleveland game would be the earliest to begin the transformation.

Im not looking forward to a 1-15 season but honestly if it costs a few jobs then so be it. We need to weed out incompetent coaches and players and move on. 

Just now, UnitedWhofans said:

I dont think the Jets are going 1-15. I think they win at least 4-5 games if they make the switch. 

Sadly that will hurt the chances at a top 3 pick in the draft.  I hope they win out I just dont see it with the current situation namely QB and a moron head coach calling the shots 

Just now, joewilly12 said:

Sadly that will hurt the chances at a top 3 pick in the draft.  I hope they win out I just dont see it with the current situation namely QB and a moron head coach calling the shots 

i think the Jets outside of a QB have a few options. Cam Robinson (OL), Leonard Fournette (RB), Teez Tabor (CB) (I know you hate that)

Draft not good for WR or TEs.

1 hour ago, Ohio State NY Jets fan said:

Wow, Mo counts 18m on the cap next year and we could easily have over 10m in dead cap space next year (Fitz 5m + cuts) after 12m in dead space this year (Brick, Dee, Kerley)

http://overthecap.com/salary-cap/new-york-jets/

The Fitz signing is the worst move that McCagnan has ever made. Signing Mo is not better, and signing Forte was flat stupid. As was the money he gave Revis. Macc does seem better at drafting but his pro-personnel moves have been pretty awful.

1 minute ago, johnnysd said:

The Fitz signing is the worst move that McCagnan has ever made. Signing Mo is not better, and signing Forte was flat stupid. As was the money he gave Revis. Macc does seem better at drafting but his pro-personnel moves have been pretty awful.

Maccagnan likes to call it a "competitive rebuild," which is a fancy way of saying they want to have their cake and eat it, too.

Archived