Geno Smith to start on Sunday vs the Ravens

Maxman

I doubt Mac is in the hot seat at least for another year. Everyone (I mean talking heads everyone except the dopes at SNY) knew this team had very little talent, and that last year's success was much like the 8-8 season with Rex (where he did a hell of a job with little talent). The question is whether or not this year was the culmination of little talent, young guys growing, a tougher schedule, and Fitz not having another darling year, or has Bowles lost the team and is over his head.

I could possibly see moving on from Bowles after 2 years as Mac didn't pick him, and someone my have to loose their job, but I would expect (hope) that the GM gets at least 3 years when most knew we needed at least 3 years to turn the team around.

If Petty gets to play 3+ games this year and show some promise, Mac easily gets another year maybe 2. Not sure how I feel about Bowles. I don't care that he doesn't rant or rave on the sidelines. But, many of his in game decisions have not been good. If he can learn and still command the respect of the team, he should get another year. I don't know if I would say the same for OC or DC.

• Replies 772
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Jetsfan80 said:

+ 1

If Petty was hurt that bad we should have put him on IR thru Week 8. 

I think he could have been claimed off IR by another team. that would have kept him on our roster especially after that amazing preseason this year :)

9 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

4?  I gave you 9.  The offensive line is a unit, not one guy. 

Kevin Mawae was "terrific". Then you have Fabini, and Randy Thomas as your average OT/OG. Then you have Ryan Young and Kerry Jenkins. Not sure why you're pounding your chest over Mawae and a couple of average to above average players. 

Did you know he had 4 first rounders that last year and a first overall? 

Just now, SAR I said:

My theory?

We have 3 quarterbacks on the roster and 10 games left so we're going to let them all audition and see what we have here for next season.  Geno 4 games, Petty 4 games, Hackenberg the last 2 games.

This way we go into April with open eyes knowing exactly what the draft needs to look like.

SAR I

Ding Ding Ding! We have a winner. 

The biggest mistake Bowles made was giving a full support of confidence to Fitzpatrick on Monday. If he had been nebulous in his statement, then the change from Fitz to Geno wouldn't seem so drastic and they could make it out like it was his decision partly.

Now the common belief is that Woody came to Bowles and said "Change something and I will give you a vote of confidence"

It's connect the dots and it spells doom for the Jets. And the media knows it and that means the circus is back

1 minute ago, j4jets said:

Did you know he had 4 first rounders that last year and a first overall? 

Yes and one of them was Pennington, who never came close to returning 1st round value. 

Parcells took Coles in the 3rd round that year, something people like to forget.  Ended up Pennington's favorite WR and arguably our best and most consistent since the likes of Wesley Walker and Al Toon. 

1 hour ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

Fantasy players should pick up the Ravens defense immediately. 

Fantasy players who had the Ravens defense immediately lost points.  What Nostradamus thinks that the Jets will put up worse numbers than we've seen the last few weeks under your guys leadership? 

Are you kidding? 

5 minutes ago, JiF said:

Cant tell if serious or trolling...

Why wouldn't that be the likely scenario? Trump is doomed, Woody's come in from the cold, Rapoport reported that he was pissed, Bowles unequivocally stated his support for Fitz on Monday and now it's Wednesday and Geno's the starter.

2 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

+ 1

If Petty was hurt that bad we should have put him on IR thru Week 8.  If he wasn't, we should have cut Geno.  Carrying 4 was pathetically stupid. 

in hindsight it was a tacit admission they probably wouldn't make the playoffs and wanted petty around as much as possible to be ready when they put him in.  they just can't say this yet.

6 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Yeah, this reeks of a no nothing owner.  Why the hell would anyone in their right mind bench Fitz and put his backup in?  What's wrong with them, can't they see how good he is?  1-5 is almost as stellar as Fitzs is? Lol 

Its the right move, what's so shocking?  If anything I wish he did it a few weeks ago when there still was a chance of salvaging what Fitz flushed away

Here's the thing.  Anyone could have seen that last year.  These are professional football people - they knew what Fitz's skill-set was and chose to sign him to too much money - why? because it's what the media and fans wanted.  Not bringing him back would have looked bad and pissed off the fan base.

There was no real discussion of benching Fitz until when? when it was what the media and fans wanted.

It's so obvious to anyone that has followed this team - when there's a media push for something the Jets almost always fold to that pressure.  And that is on the owner!

It may ultimately be the right decision - but making it for entirely the wrong reason.

Just now, FidelioJet said:

Here's the thing.  Anyone could have seen that last year.  These are professional football people - they knew what Fitz's skill-set was and chose to sign him to too much money - why? because it's what the media and fans wanted.  Not bringing him back would have looked bad and pissed off the fan base.

There was no real discussion of benching Fitz until when? when it was what the media and fans wanted.

It's so obvious to anyone that has followed this team - when there's a media push for something the Jets almost always fold to that pressure.  And that is on the owner!

It may ultimately be the right decision - but making it for entirely the wrong reason.

The problem is I don't see how it may ultimately be the right decision

3 minutes ago, Skeptable said:

Bowles would never start a whiny little bitch like Geno that is throw tantrums on the sideline... Posting stupid sh*t on instagram and consistently undermining the coaching staff by not preparing, not being near the playcallers while they are reviewing the last series... I mean seriously what makes you think they would reward the child for his behavior.

This is a Woody move through and through.. This has nothing to do with who is better or not. Ryan sucked!! awful lackluster play. Woody doesn't handle that well and has proven it in the past to meddle in these situations... This is undermining the coaching staff and always turns out bad.. It is Embarrassing.

Wake up, Bowles just made the only move that made sens.  Woody has done nothing, not one thing to undermine this GM or HC.  Dream on, I know you want your guy replaced for all the right football reasons so you've convinced yourself that the owner did it for some dumb assed reason.  Like clearing the stench off the field, like to maybe score more points than a hockey team on a given night, like just not sucking like the worst team in he league when we all know this isn't the worst roster in the league.  

1 minute ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Yes and one of them was Pennington, who never came close to returning 1st round value. 

Parcells took Coles in the 3rd round that year, something people like to forget. 

And which homerun hitters did parcells draft in 1997, 1998 and 1999 outside of the ill suited Farrior? 

3 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

The biggest mistake Bowles made was giving a full support of confidence to Fitzpatrick on Monday. If he had been nebulous in his statement, then the change from Fitz to Geno wouldn't seem so drastic and they could make it out like it was his decision partly.

Now the common belief is that Woody came to Bowles and said "Change something and I will give you a vote of confidence"

It's connect the dots and it spells doom for the Jets. And the media knows it and that means the circus is back

Stop with the conspiracy theories already.  The Jets didn't even land in New York until yesterday at 3pm, he needed to huddle with his OC and his position coaches and key leaders like Mangold and Marshall back in Florham Park, that kind of candid talk can't happen on the plane. 

SAR I

Just now, Augustiniak said:

in hindsight it was a tacit admission they probably wouldn't make the playoffs and wanted petty around as much as possible to be ready when they put him in.  they just can't say this yet.

That's what these people who are all up in arms don't understand. This season is already over! It's like people who pointed to Decker, Marshall and Mangold as evidence that we needed to resign Fitzpatrick, sometimes the players and coach's best interests aren't in line with the best interests of the team over the long term. That is when a GM and Owner need to intervene. 

Just now, Jet Nut said:

Wake up, Bowles just made the only move that made sens.  Woody has done nothing, not one thing to undermine this GM or HC.  Dream on, I know you want your guy replaced for all the right football reasons so you've convinced yourself that the owner did it for some dumb assed reason.  Like clearing the stench off the field, like to maybe score more points than a hockey team on a given night, like just not sucking like the worst team in he league when we all know this isn't the worst roster in the league.  

Do you know why when there is a rape in a neighborhood that they check the list of known sex offenders in the area first?

Because of the TRACK RECORD.

Just now, Jet Nut said:

This move makes zero sense, and has a much greater chance of setting the franchise back, than forward.Woody is an assclown owner in the mold of Daniel Snyder, who will never, ever have a real team, because he sucks as an owner.

Just now, SAR I said:

Stop with the conspiracy theories already.  The Jets didn't even land in New York until yesterday at 3pm, he needed to huddle with his OC and his position coaches and key leaders like Mangold and Marshall back in Florham Park, that kind of candid talk can't happen on the plane. 

SAR I

The bottom line is that nobody believes Woody didn't have a hand in this

Just now, JetFreak89 said:

That's what these people who are all up in arms don't understand. This season is already over! It's like people who pointed to Decker, Marshall and Mangold as evidence that we needed to resign Fitzpatrick, sometimes the players and coach's best interests aren't in line with the best interests of the team over the long term. That is when a GM and Owner need to intervene. 

keeping petty active through is injury was completely a mccagnan move.  it didn't help bowles at all.

1 hour ago, Villain The Foe said:

Because the defense isn't responsible for the league low ppg average. Maybe scoring some more points (if possible) can help alleviate some of the pressure constantly on the defense. 

It's the same exact secondary as last year minus the weakest link.  Last year they were a top 10 D, what's the difference this year? 

2 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

The problem is I don't see how it may ultimately be the right decision

Are you suggesting Fitz should still be playing? or that it simply shouldn't be Geno?

I think Fitz should be done here - barring catastrophic injury - he shouldn't see the field again...As for Geno, I would personally like to see him get one more shot, but can understand the arguments against it.

My best guess is they simply don't like Petty at all and know Hack isn't ready.

1 minute ago, Matt39 said:

What's wrong with it? Jets are now the talk of the airwaves. It's a PR move and we're basically in a volleyball match with the Knicks for dumbest owner in sports.

Amazing how this is not so obvious to every fan. I guess everyone is just so happy they have their guy starting QB they don't really care how it happened. Go Geno, set us back 5 more years!

Just now, UnitedWhofans said:

The bottom line is that nobody believes Woody didn't have a hand in this

Now that I agree with, of course he has an opinion and a seat in the room along with Maccagnan, Bowles, Gailey, Patullo, and key offensive leaders like Marshall, Decker, and Mangold.  But since this is the real first bump in the road for Bowles after a successful rookie campaign I think he let Bowles make the call.

SAR I

6 minutes ago, SAR I said:

My theory?

We have 3 quarterbacks on the roster and 10 games left so we're going to let them all audition and see what we have here for next season.  Geno 4 games, Petty 4 games, Hackenberg the last 2 games.

This way we go into April with open eyes knowing exactly what the draft needs to look like.

SAR I

We can start Geno as Petty hasn't had the snaps, but does anybody think he will convince anybody? There are those die hard Geno fans that believe he 'deserves' another chance, but how well do we expect him to play especially without Decker? If it helps quiet the Geno needs another shot fans, then great. The downside, of course, is that Geno plays well enough and then we are stuck with either signing him to a long term starter contract, or having another QB controversy. Best case, for the FO is for him to fail miserably so that can say, 'see this is why we brought be Fitz and stuck with him'.

My real concern, however, is that Petty needs to get the #2 reps. If not, he will never be given a chance this year. You also want Hack to still get the #3 reps. I am okay if Fitz is the one loosing the reps (even if they don't announce a depth chart change).

I would love to see Hack start 2 games, but if he isn't ready, I am okay waiting until TC next year.

They will likely have to let a QB go if they want Devin to come back. Of course we can always drop a useless TE; my vote would be Davis.

Just now, Cap'nObvious said:

Amazing how this is not so obvious to every fan. I guess everyone is just so happy they have their guy starting QB they don't really care how it happened. Go Geno, set us back 5 more years!

Even if it's the right move (spoiler, it's not) we basically just fired Bowles. It's over for him already.

1 minute ago, FidelioJet said:

Are you suggesting Fitz should still be playing? or that it simply shouldn't be Geno?

I think Fitz should be done here - barring catastrophic injury - he shouldn't see the field again...As for Geno, I would personally like to see him get one more shot, but can understand the arguments against it.

My best guess is they simply don't like Petty at all and know Hack isn't ready.

I'm saying wait til you are mathematically eliminated and then make the switch.

Just now, Matt39 said:

Even if it's the right move (spoiler, it's not) we basically just fired Bowles. It's over for him already.

So you dont believe the vote of confidence?

1 minute ago, Matt39 said:

Yup, it should be really a whole lot of fun trying to get a HC in here worth a damn. We basically just became the Bills. Yay!!! Geno is starting, Yay!!!!

Archived