Geno Smith to start on Sunday vs the Ravens

Maxman

• Replies 772
  • Created
  • Last Reply
34 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

What's wrong with it? Jets are now the talk of the airwaves. It's a PR move and we're basically in a volleyball match with the Knicks for dumbest owner in sports.

Pretty sure it was a Football move.  

The fans hate Geno.  You're not winning people over by making him the starter. 

5 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

People that watched Geno the last 3 years? People that saw him nearly turn the ball over on a fumble because he couldn't feel the pressure coming and then actually turn the ball over when he threw a pick? If you think Geno instantly makes this offense better, you're going to be sadly disappointed come Sunday. When he played in 2015 the one game he targeted Marshall over 40% of the time. The difference between Fitz and Geno and results will be very negligible.

So wait you are rooting for Geno Smith to fail?  WOW didnt you criticize anyone who said anything negative about Ryan Fitzpatrick. 

Enjoy the game Carl dont bother responding. 

When Geno improves the offense and outplays Fitzpatrick please dont go into hiding. 

Just now, joewilly12 said:

So wait you are rooting for Geno Smith to fail?  WOW didnt you criticize anyone who said anything negative about Ryan Fitzpatrick. 

When Geno improves the offense and outplays Fitzpatrick please dont go into hiding. 

He has no Decker there fore he doesn't have to do anything.

Woody: Hey Mikey T, I hear Tim Tebow is available

Mike: Yeah, I got a call from Elway about that, but I am not really interested.

Woody: Mikey, I really think Tim Tebow would look fantastic in Jets green

Mike: Yeah, we really have no use for him, I just signed Sanchez to an extension, and we have Stanton who may actually be able to play, and Tim has stated he will only play QB in the NFL

Woody: Mikey, I want you to do this, as a personal favor for me.

Mike: Ok, you gave me my first and only shot, if thats what you want, I will see if I can trade Elway a conditional 7th for him, if he makes the team, Elway gets a 7th, if not, he gets nothing.

Woody: Atta boy.

Elway picks up phone: Hello, the great number 7, how can I do you for?

Mike: Hey John, I have been thinking, I would like to try to trade for Tim Tebow from you.

Elway: Hey Mike, that is great news, Hold on one second if you don't mind.

Elway puts phone on mute, and speaker phone, laughing hysterically he goes outside his office and calls everyone in to listen to this, someone actually wants to trade for Tebow!!!!

Elway: (Holding back laughter) Thanks Mike, so what are you thinking you can do for the great Tim Tebow?

Mike: I will give you a conditional 7th, if he makes the team, you get the 7th.

Elway: Puts phone on mute, tells everyone in the room not to laugh, but watch this, Mike, I really need a 4th for Tebow, he took us to the playoffs last year.

Mike: Are you nuts, I can throw better than him left handed and I am a right handed fat accountant?

Elway: Sorry, I have a 4th offer from another team, but since I like you, I will give you Timmy T for the 4th.

Mike: I will get back to you.

Mike to Woody: That nut case wants a 4th for him, we cant do that, its insane.

Woody: That sounds fair to me, (looks up to the sky and starts daydreaming of all the PSL's Tebow will sell) Lets do it!

Mike: OK, but for the record, I am against this

Woody: (smiling) Noted Mike, but dont worry, no matter how this turns out, I will not fire you after the seaseon.

Mike: yeah, you said the same crap to Mangini

Woody: (smiling still) Yes, but I really like you, and I really mean it this time.

11 minutes ago, Skeptable said:

But he doesn't think Geno is better Ryan. He would start Ryan all year regardless. That is why the owner stepped in

That was true at Week 1 for sure. I think Todd watched tape, has cringed through the games, but man he figured enough is enough. Fitz totally imploded.

Just now, joewilly12 said:

I'm not rooting for Geno to fail. He already has failed and will continue to fail, with or without my support.

Geno is not going to improve the offense because the issues on offense are more than just the QB.

11 minutes ago, JiF said:

Pretty sure it was a Football move.  

The fans hate Geno.  You're not winning people over by making him the starter. 

Do you read this forums? The fans hate Geno? Most Jets fans are dancing in the streets right now taking victory laps over this. Shockingly, this fan base has turned Geno into a living legend. The longer he was on the bench, the greater his legend became.

It's worrisome as they must really not like Petty.  I know he just got back, but he's not a rookie and if they felt he was capable of being a legit NFL starter he would be playing.

The bright side of that is I'm not sure any of these guys have any idea how to judge QB talent - so there's that!

Just now, FidelioJet said:

It's worrisome as they must really not like Petty.  I know he just got back, but he's not a rookie and if they felt he was capable of being a legit NFL starter he would be playing.

The bright side of that is I'm not sure any of these guys have any idea how to judge QB talent - so there's that!

He's had a few days of practice. I would rather start him against the Browns than the Ravens. Level of difficulty is much better

4 minutes ago, kevinc855 said:

That was true at Week 1 for sure. I think Todd watched tape, has cringed through the games, but man he figured enough is enough. Fitz totally imploded.

I disagree that he changed his mind so quickly, but to each their own.. I just know Woody's past and this smells of Woody. Of course I could be wrong, and yes you could be wrong too.  Just dismissing the notion is the mistake.

I've said that Geno was playing with garbage as a starter. Now he has weapons and an easy schedule. He has zero excuses. Which is why he needs to start a couple of games. If he plays great, fine. if he implodes, then we move on to Petty. 

Me??

Geno only starts until Petty is healthy OR he plays lights out and sets the world on fire. ...which is the only way the Jets would ever contemplate bringing him back next year. 'Meh' play? Geno sits as soon as Petty is healthy and practiced up.

Jmo

2 minutes ago, Cap'nObvious said:

Do you read this forums? The fans hate Geno? Most Jets fans are dancing in the streets right now taking victory laps over this. Shockingly, this fan base has turned Geno into a living legend. The longer he was on the bench, the greater his legend became.

Total exaggeration. I think most of us simply felt that a change needed to be made, and that Geno does have some skills as well as some starting experience (don't forget he actually won a few games as well).

Just now, Freemanm said:

Total exaggeration. I think most of us simply felt that a change needed to be made, and that Geno does have some skills as well as some starting experience (don't forget he actually won a few games as well).

I know, I am pumped, we will finally get to see the real Geno Smith, the rocket armed, accurate, 4 read QB that is going to put this team on his shoulders and carry us to 8-8.  The future is now, and he is wearing number 7 this week!!!

2 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Really? Generally when the owner has to step in to make personnel moves the writing is on the wall for the HC.

First off, I dont think this is Woody.  Not in the slightest.  So let me just be clear on that. 

But assuming it was, wouldnt it be more of an indictment on the GM than the Head Coach?  And if it wasnt, if he's forcing players on him, wouldnt you think that would create a longer leash?

I said prior to the season that Todd needs to be careful tying his career to Fitz.  Because he's terrible but he was hand selected...his guy!  I was afraid for Todd's safety because you cant fail to make the playoffs 2 straight years in a row with a loaded team and a hand selected veteran QB.  As opposed to getting a little leeway by playing one of the kids. 

38 minutes ago, JiF said:

Gotcha.  I just thought you were confident Geno was done here.  All good.

I'm not asking for one.  I'm not as obnoxious as Pac. ;-)

Fitz won me over last year despite my position on him.  You know this.  I wanted nothing more than him to keep the magic going and get us to the playoffs.  So I'm not going to sit here and act happy even though I was lobbying to move on from him.

I'm disappointed this wasnt handled differently and I clearly shared a different approach but this is not the way I wanted things to go down.  It sucks but here we are.  Lets just hope Geno has turned it around.  At least we finally get to put it to the test.  Not the way it should have been done but it still somewhat serves the purpose. 

Agree with all of this except for the part about Geno turning it around.  I mean, it would be cool if he suddenly woke up tomorrow and really was a franchise QB, but his version of "turning his play around" would be playing just well enough to give us false hope, win some meaningless games, and cost us a top draft pick.

I want to tank. 

Archived