Geno Smith to start on Sunday vs the Ravens

Maxman

20 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

We kept Geno on the roster, stupidly carrying 4 QB's.  Just because that's what the Jets did doesn't mean it was the correct move. 

Gotcha.  I just thought you were confident Geno was done here.  All good.

19 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I'll consider apologizing to you.  Not Pac.  F*ck that guy. 

I'm not asking for one.  I'm not as obnoxious as Pac. ;-)

Fitz won me over last year despite my position on him.  You know this.  I wanted nothing more than him to keep the magic going and get us to the playoffs.  So I'm not going to sit here and act happy even though I was lobbying to move on from him.

I'm disappointed this wasnt handled differently and I clearly shared a different approach but this is not the way I wanted things to go down.  It sucks but here we are.  Lets just hope Geno has turned it around.  At least we finally get to put it to the test.  Not the way it should have been done but it still somewhat serves the purpose. 

• Replies 772
  • Created
  • Last Reply
27 minutes ago, whodeawhodat said:

until petty was injured, i felt the same way.

I dont think Geno starts the next 10 games but I may have been wrong on a QB or two in the past lol Here is to Geno dropping bombs like hiroshima on Sunday.  

Will be watching from a beach bar so make daddy proud!

Now we're talking!!!!  

2 minutes ago, sourceworx said:

Normally I'd agree. However the defense (Bowles' specialty) looks horrible. When you consider the talent they have on that side of the ball, it's inexcusable.

If this team continues to look lifeless, Bowles can and should be fired. 

Bowles was put in an almost unnwinable situation this year.  Playing one of the toughest opening schedules I have ever seen, with a crappy starting QB that held out for $12mm and a media that drove up high expectations.  

Anyone that follows this team had to know these first two months were going to be ugly.  

But I hear ya, while I didn't expect them to win I did expect them to be a little competitive and show some heart.  Which they haven't...and if they continue to look like they don't want to be out there, then I can agree with your assessment.

Just now, kevinc855 said:

"Pack it in". Luckily fans don't run organizations this big and complex. They have a mission, to win games. They are doing all they can to continue that. Fitz has performed at a horrible level. They needed a change, they made it early in the week. Lets see how it pans out. By the way, no one is coming to the game just to watch Geno. Attendance will hold steady from what it would have been.

I am not disagreeing with you, I am stating I am done... They are not good enough yet, better get talent through the draft.  I agree that they need a change at QB... I am simply saying that this is not a Bowles change because he would not reward a petulant child like Geno.  That simple.

TBH, I'm just not sure how anyone can be outraged over this move people act like Fitz took us to the Super Bowl last year.  Yes, he had a good year but we didn't even make the playoffs with one of the easier schedules in the league.  The FO knew there was a better chance of Fitz reverting back to the journeyman QB he's always been vs. putting up similar numbers to last year.  That's why Macc held strong on his offer and refused to give Fitz the 3 year deal he wanted.

2 hours ago, BroadwayJoe12 said:

Super, so Geno will scrape out a few games and we'll miss out on Kizer et al for the sake of learning how to win. ?

If we draft Kizer maybe he busts and we miss out on some other no name qb with a chip on his shoulder? Cowboys weren't losing games last season to draft Dak. Seahawks werent losing to draft Wilson. Packers weren't losing to draft Rodgers. Pats weren't losing to draft Brady. hoping for losses to get a QB is silly.

6 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Bowles was put in an almost unnwinable situation this year.  Playing one of the toughest opening schedules I have ever seen, with a crappy starting QB that held out for $12mm and a media that drove up high expectations.  

Anyone that follows this team had to know these first two months were going to be ugly.  

But I hear ya, while I didn't expect them to win I did expect them to be a little competitive and show some heart.  Which they haven't...and if they continue to look like they don't want to be out there, then I can agree with your assessment.

If they were losing the way they did in the Bengals game, where the defense looked great at times, but a play here and there cost them the game, then your post would have more validity. But they are getting blown out of games. The team looks awful in all phases of the game. 

I understand the brutal schedule, and last year raising expectations to an unrealistic level, but this isn't a talentless team either. The defense in particular should not be playing as poorly as they are.  That's on the coaches.

1 minute ago, sourceworx said:

If they were losing the way they did in the Bengals game, where the defense looked great at times, but a play here and there cost them the game, then your post would have more validity. But they are getting blown out of games. The team looks awful in all phases of the game. 

I understand last year raised expectations to an unrealistic level, but this isn't a talentless team, either. The defense in particular should not be playing as poorly as they are.  That's on the coaches.

That is why Maccagnan is not getting a ton of heat from the media (and rightly so). 

They should not be THIS bad.  Maccagnan will stay after this year. Bowles right now has the Vote of confidence, but that means nothing right now

2 hours ago, Skeptable said:

The problem is that even if they give up on the season... (which they haven't)... The coaching staff would never start a child that throws tantrums in games and if they would I hope that Mikey Mac fires him... It is unacceptable the crying on the sidelines... and for that fact the coaches never would have changed without Woody stepping in. 

Woody stepping in shows that the Jets are again an embarrassing team.

So are you saying if the Jets had ODB , he should be sitting .

3 minutes ago, bealeb319 said:

If we draft Kizer maybe he busts and we miss out on some other no name qb with a chip on his shoulder? Cowboys weren't losing games last season to draft Dak. Seahawks werent losing to draft Wilson. Packers weren't losing to draft Rodgers. Pats weren't losing to draft Brady. hoping for losses to get a QB is silly.

On that note let's go 1-15 to ensure the #1 pick!

1 minute ago, Skeptable said:

I am not disagreeing with you, I am stating I am done... They are not good enough yet, better get talent through the draft.  I agree that they need a change at QB... I am simply saying that this is not a Bowles change because he would not reward a petulant child like Geno.  That simple.

I'm not so sure. In the back of Todd's mind he still believes this team can win. I view this as a move to salvage the season. They aren't auditioning someone new or anything.

1 minute ago, UnitedWhofans said:

That is why Maccagnan is not getting a ton of heat from the media (and rightly so). 

They should not be THIS bad. 

I'm not calling for Mac to be fired, even though he's made some questionable moves this offseason.

I'm not even ready to call for the coaches to be fired yet. But if the team continues to play this poorly, the blame has to fall on Bowles.

41 minutes ago, SAR I said:

We are 1-5 because Geno Smith couldn't beat out Ryan Fitzpatrick for 14 months.  They turn to him now not because of ability but because Fitzpatrick is a mess.

I'm leaving for Hong Kong in a few minutes so I won't be attending this week's Geno debacle.

I fully expect Bryce Petty to make his first start when we host the Rams.  I'll be at that game with bells on.

SAR I

Have a safe trip. 

IK beat Geno Smith out of the starting QB job NOT Ryan Fitzpatrick. 

The easy schedule is the only reason the bum had success here. 

Go Geno.

1 minute ago, 56mehl56 said:

So are you saying if the Jets had ODB , he should be sitting .

Somebody has to get that guy under control too... and yes ultimately you sit him and has to learn that he is hurting the team with his actions... There is a threshold.

Just now, sourceworx said:

I'm not calling for Mac to be fired, even though he's made some questionable moves this offseason.

I'm not even ready to call for the coaches to be fired yet. But if the team continues to play this poorly, the blame has to fall on Bowles.

Kotite got two seasons. And that was without a 10-6 season the in his first year

35 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Why wouldn't that be the likely scenario? Trump is doomed, Woody's come in from the cold, Rapoport reported that he was pissed, Bowles unequivocally stated his support for Fitz on Monday and now it's Wednesday and Geno's the starter.

I never heard that. I heard him say he's our starter but we will evaluate when the coaches meet Tue.

3 hours ago, Matt39 said:

This is as embarrassing as it gets as a fan. Just plain embarrassing. Coach defends QB after loss then gets undercut by moron owner because he's afraid fans will boo on Sunday. What a ******* joke of a franchise.

The idea that the owner is behind sitting Fitzpatrick in favor of the least popular player on the team is patently absurd. If Woody has exerted any influence on the QB situation at all, it's far more likely that he was behind keeping the $12M player in despite his poor performances. 

The coach's first instinct was to defend his QB. That's all that was. After a day of reflection and meeting with his staff, he made the overdue move. 

1 minute ago, kevinc855 said:

I'm not so sure. In the back of Todd's mind he still believes this team can win. I view this as a move to salvage the season. They aren't auditioning someone new or anything.

But he doesn't think Geno is better Ryan. He would start Ryan all year regardless. That is why the owner stepped in

1 minute ago, joewilly12 said:

Have a safe trip. 

IK beat Geno Smith out of the starting QB job NOT Ryan Fitzpatrick. 

The easy schedule is the only reason the bum had success here. 

Go Geno.

Ryan hadn't started practicing yet because of his leg. You don't know if Geno would have beat him out fully healthy.

31 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

The bottom line is that nobody believes Woody didn't have a hand in this

No, the bottom line is there are some fans who always believe the owner does stupid shlt, no matter the situation and there are fans who don't want to admit that the conquering hero was replace for football reasons.  Too many missed the post game remarks where Bowles said it could happen, would sit with coaches and decide.  

He sucked, wasn't getting the job done, needed to be sat down.  No matter who you're convinced ordered this.  

26 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Why wouldn't that be the likely scenario? Trump is doomed, Woody's come in from the cold, Rapoport reported that he was pissed, Bowles unequivocally stated his support for Fitz on Monday and now it's Wednesday and Geno's the starter.

I dont recall this unequivocal support.  He seemed on the fence about it every step of the way outside of one comment made at a presser after the game.

And I dont see a scenario where Woody is happy that this is taking place.  He has 12 mil sitting on the bench and the Jets are 1-5 and completely non-competitive.  None of the QB's drafted by this regime are field ready.  Starting Geno in a contract year with a very outside possibility of doing enough to consider being resigned is not ideal.  It egg in the entire Jets organizations face that they let Ryan Fitzpatrick hold them hostage for an entire offseason expecting him to be the savior.

If this is Woody's work, then he deserves a hand shake and Todd Bowles deserves a swift kick in the dick.  This is 100%, no questions asked the right move for this team. There really isnt a debate.  

1 minute ago, slats said:

The idea that the owner is behind sitting Fitzpatrick in favor of the least popular player on the team is patently absurd. If Woody has exerted any influence on the QB situation at all, it's far more likely that he was behind keeping the $12M player in despite his poor performances. 

The coach's first instinct was to defend his QB. That's all that was. After a day of reflection and meeting with his staff, he made the overdue move. 

Nobody believes him though because of past history and circumstances 

1 minute ago, slats said:

Yeah ok. Jets will get both backpages tomorrow. Both ESPN 1050 and the Fan are talking Jets and there's plenty of national coverage too. This has Woodys fingerprints all over it.

39 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Fantasy players who had the Ravens defense immediately lost points.  What Nostradamus thinks that the Jets will put up worse numbers than we've seen the last few weeks under your guys leadership? 

Are you kidding? 

People that watched Geno the last 3 years? People that saw him nearly turn the ball over on a fumble because he couldn't feel the pressure coming and then actually turn the ball over when he threw a pick? If you think Geno instantly makes this offense better, you're going to be sadly disappointed come Sunday. When he played in 2015 the one game he targeted Marshall over 40% of the time. The difference between Fitz and Geno and results will be very negligible.

Archived