Geno Smith to start on Sunday vs the Ravens

Maxman

• Replies 772
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Lets all remember Fitzpatrick had everyone healthy Decker,Marshall,Enunwa etc Geno Smith is missing Decker a big void in the offense. 

I called this one a year ago.  Making excuses already for gods sake as if you had any cred left to lose.

1 hour ago, Skeptable said:

Geno doesn't deserve to play with the way he acts... Better teams would have cut his whining ass a while ago... I think they thought he would mature this year and he has proven otherwise. Sure he is sour... but his reactions are why they won't give him a chance... Grow up and show maturity.  Woody sucks! We are not going to win anything with him as an owner.

No, that's not why.

5 minutes ago, SAR I said:

...and I'll be pulling a @Villain The Foe rendition saying "Fitzpatrick didn't get a fair chance with the weapons Geno has!"

Thank God I am about to board my flight to Hong Kong and get away from this LOL.  Speak to you tomorrow my friend.  Go Jets, Go Geno.

SAR I

So you wont be at the game on Sunday cheering Geno Smith on? 

6 minutes ago, Jets_Win said:

Amazing that a routine QB switch can become owner interference, a panic move, and acquiescence to fans and media.

It's crazy, isn't it?  Some are acting as if this is Doug Flutie getting replaced by Rob Johnson.  Fitz has SUCKED..  The only conspiracy theory that would be relevant is why it's taken this long.

9 minutes ago, Jets_Win said:

Amazing that a routine QB switch can become owner interference, a panic move, and acquiescence to fans and media.

1. Track record of the owner and his moves (Tebow, Favre...)

2. The fact that Bowles gave undisputed support to Fitzpatrick after the game. He should have said what he said yesterday on MOnday and give himself an out. Instead, it looks like waffling

2 minutes ago, Pac said:

It's crazy, isn't it?  Some are acting as if this is Doug Flutie getting replaced by Rob Johnson.  Fitz has SUCKED..  The only conspiracy theory that would be relevant is why it's taken this long.

totally agree.  this is a largely irrelevant move.  it only hastens the countdown to when petty replaces geno and whether hack gets in the last 2 games.  they're replacing one ineffective qb with another.  there are no unknowns here.

2 hours ago, Maxman said:

You have to sit Fitz. I don't care if Geno is the long term answer or not, still have to make this move.

Accountability. You don't perform, you sit. End of story.

100% .  I just cant believe its happening. 

Legit, I thought Todd would roll with Fitz, ride or die. 

First, I don't see this as a Woody thing. He never seemed to care about Geno. I don't think this is a Mac thing as Mac has more invested in Petty than Geno, and more invested in Fitz then either. Clearly, you can't go forward with Fitz the way he is playing. I don't care if Geno plays well and wins a few games, he is NOT going to be here next year unless he really explodes and then we are stuck paying him a starting qb salary for 5 years. I have no problem with them benching Fitz.

I would have preferred to go straight to Petty, but I understand why they can't - at least not now. My problem is that if Petty isn't moved to #2 we won't likely see him play this year and that would be a colossal screw up. He needs the reps. I was hoping for, but clearly not going to get to see them release Geno and move Petty to #2. I doubt they release Fitz and move Petty to #2. 

3 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

1. Track record of the owner and his moves (Tebow, Favre...)

2. The fact that Bowles gave undisputed support to Fitzpatrick after the game. He should have said what he said yesterday on MOnday and give himself an out. Instead, it looks like waffling

So you're suggesting that Woody told Bowles to  bench Fits in the 4th quarter? 

http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2016/10/desperate_switch_to_geno_smith_will_backfire_on_to.html#incart_river_mobileshort_index

Desperate switch to Geno Smith will backfire on Todd Bowles | Politi

Todd Bowles is a smart man. I'm sure he considered his options, looked at the putrid results from his offense so far this season, and reached the logical conclusion when he decided to switch to Geno Smith: What do I have to lose?

The answer: Not much, Todd.

Other than, you know, your job

No, this is not likely to end well for the Jets head coach, but then again, when does a quarterback decision ever end well for somebody occupying that office? Bowles has four quarterbacks on his roster and none of them would play for another team this weekend.

Think about that. That is some high-level dysfunction right there. Your J-E-T-S JETS JETS JETS, everyone! 

Ryan Fitzpatrick is ranked 31st in the NFL in completion percentage, behind two potted plants and a labradoodle. He has looked awful in six games this season, and especially so in a dismal performance in Phoenix that dropped the Jets to 1-5 on the season.

But he remains the best option, and anyone who doesn't believe that has a convenient case of amnesia. Smith has 44 turnovers in 32 career games while completing just 57.9 percent of his passes. This is not a small sample size. Yes, he has shown some flashes, but Fitzpatrick is one of the biggest reasons this team won 10 games last season.

Bowles should have waited until the Jets lost another two games and the playoffs were definitely out of reach before pulling the plug on a quarterback who had one of the most productive seasons in team history last year. And even then, he shouldn't have handed the offense to Smith.

The Jets know exactly what he is. They are giving him a 10-game audition before becoming a free agent this winter. Maybe Bryce Petty and Christian Hackenberg aren't ready, but I'd rather give two quarterbacks who might be part of this team's long-term plans a chance to prove they can play.

Instead, Bowles apparently will look to Smith to save the season, and how the entire situation went down doesn't exactly inspire confidence from the man in charge. The head coach declared that Fitzpatrick would remain the starter after the loss to the Cardinals, then backtracked on Tuesday, then allowed the news to leak out through ESPN's Adam Schefter on Wednesday morning.

Bowles has failed in every aspect of his job this season. His defense, despite high expectations and plenty of talent, is a disaster. His decision making, including that unthinkable decision to punt away a chance to beat the Steelers in Pittsburgh, is indefensible.

Woody Johnson was forced to give Bowles an October vote of confidence after reports that he was losing patience with the team's slow start. The owner is an easy target for fans, but this time, who can blame him? 

The situation is not likely to improve under Smith. He does have the benefit of a softer schedule, with the Ravens, the Dolphins and the Browns up next as the team tries to salvage something from 2016. 

But even that's a reason to stay the course with Fitzpatrick. A 9-7 or even an 8-8 record might be good enough to steal a playoff spot this season, and no matter how poorly he's played so far, the best chance of that happening is with the incumbent starter. 

Instead, Bowles has pushed the panic button and brought in the erratic interception machine that is his backup quarterback. Geno Smith is back under center in the Jets offense, a desperate decision that almost certainly won't end well for the man who made it.

Then again, when it comes to Jets head coaches and quarterbacks, when does it ever work out?

2 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

If this puts us one step closer to Petty, I'm down.

Skipping from Fitz to Petty and bypassing Geno just wasn't likely to ever happen.  This makes it more realistic we'll get to see what a QB who is actually under contract in 2017 can do fairly soon. 

Interesting...you were 100% the other way before the season started.  What changed? 

2 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

Not sure what all the negative repping is about on this one...You're absolutely correct.

This was a Woody call and it was because of the media and fan base.  

Yeah, this reeks of a no nothing owner.  Why the hell would anyone in their right mind bench Fitz and put his backup in?  What's wrong with them, can't they see how good he is?  1-5 is almost as stellar as Fitzs is? Lol 

Its the right move, what's so shocking?  If anything I wish he did it a few weeks ago when there still was a chance of salvaging what Fitz flushed away

46 minutes ago, Paradis said:

Gonna be an interesting/telling draft this year for Macc. He'll be under the microscope with major QB questions...

Unlikely we're worse off than CLE and honestly there's no franchise QB this year

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Best case scenario for us is if Cody Kessler continues to play well and they feel like he can be their QB moving forward. Even still we will be fighting with the Bears, 49ers, and possibly Miami if there is a highly coveted QB. 

Nice, so Woody is making HC'ing decisions, we are going to muddy the water even more at the QB position when Geno plays a soft schedule, the Jets go 7-3 to finish 8-8, Throws 11 TD's and 9 Int's and we can sign him to a 3 year deal because he pulled the Jets out from the basement to finish a meaningless middle of the pack. Yup, SOJ

2 hours ago, Matt39 said:

This is as embarrassing as it gets as a fan. Just plain embarrassing. Coach defends QB after loss then gets undercut by moron owner because he's afraid fans will boo on Sunday. What a ******* joke of a franchise.

Cant tell if serious or trolling...

1 minute ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2016/10/desperate_switch_to_geno_smith_will_backfire_on_to.html#incart_river_mobileshort_index

Desperate switch to Geno Smith will backfire on Todd Bowles | Politi

Todd Bowles is a smart man. I'm sure he considered his options, looked at the putrid results from his offense so far this season, and reached the logical conclusion when he decided to switch to Geno Smith: What do I have to lose?

The answer: Not much, Todd.

Other than, you know, your job

No, this is not likely to end well for the Jets head coach, but then again, when does a quarterback decision ever end well for somebody occupying that office? Bowles has four quarterbacks on his roster and none of them would play for another team this weekend.

Think about that. That is some high-level dysfunction right there. Your J-E-T-S JETS JETS JETS, everyone! 

Ryan Fitzpatrick is ranked 31st in the NFL in completion percentage, behind two potted plants and a labradoodle. He has looked awful in six games this season, and especially so in a dismal performance in Phoenix that dropped the Jets to 1-5 on the season.

But he remains the best option, and anyone who doesn't believe that has a convenient case of amnesia. Smith has 44 turnovers in 32 career games while completing just 57.9 percent of his passes. This is not a small sample size. Yes, he has shown some flashes, but Fitzpatrick is one of the biggest reasons this team won 10 games last season.

Bowles should have waited until the Jets lost another two games and the playoffs were definitely out of reach before pulling the plug on a quarterback who had one of the most productive seasons in team history last year. And even then, he shouldn't have handed the offense to Smith.

The Jets know exactly what he is. They are giving him a 10-game audition before becoming a free agent this winter. Maybe Bryce Petty and Christian Hackenberg aren't ready, but I'd rather give two quarterbacks who might be part of this team's long-term plans a chance to prove they can play.

Instead, Bowles apparently will look to Smith to save the season, and how the entire situation went down doesn't exactly inspire confidence from the man in charge. The head coach declared that Fitzpatrick would remain the starter after the loss to the Cardinals, then backtracked on Tuesday, then allowed the news to leak out through ESPN's Adam Schefter on Wednesday morning.

Bowles has failed in every aspect of his job this season. His defense, despite high expectations and plenty of talent, is a disaster. His decision making, including that unthinkable decision to punt away a chance to beat the Steelers in Pittsburgh, is indefensible.

Woody Johnson was forced to give Bowles an October vote of confidence after reports that he was losing patience with the team's slow start. The owner is an easy target for fans, but this time, who can blame him? 

The situation is not likely to improve under Smith. He does have the benefit of a softer schedule, with the Ravens, the Dolphins and the Browns up next as the team tries to salvage something from 2016. 

But even that's a reason to stay the course with Fitzpatrick. A 9-7 or even an 8-8 record might be good enough to steal a playoff spot this season, and no matter how poorly he's played so far, the best chance of that happening is with the incumbent starter. 

Instead, Bowles has pushed the panic button and brought in the erratic interception machine that is his backup quarterback. Geno Smith is back under center in the Jets offense, a desperate decision that almost certainly won't end well for the man who made it.

Then again, when it comes to Jets head coaches and quarterbacks, when does it ever work out?

What did I tell you? Panic move

13 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

SAR I we are 1-5 because of Ryan Fitzpatrick. 

So you selling all your tickets now that Geno Smith is the QB. 

We are 1-5 because Geno Smith couldn't beat out Ryan Fitzpatrick for 14 months.  They turn to him now not because of ability but because Fitzpatrick is a mess.

I'm leaving for Hong Kong in a few minutes so I won't be attending this week's Geno debacle.

I fully expect Bryce Petty to make his first start when we host the Rams.  I'll be at that game with bells on.

SAR I

4 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

key from that article:

“I was told no matter what happens if we bring in Brett Favre, you’re absolutely safe,” former Jets coach Eric Mangini recently said regarding his discussions with Johnson in 2008. “I probably should have gotten that in writing.”

Bowles and Maccagnan now have it in writing, sort of. Not that it will keep Johnson from doing whatever he wants to do, when the time comes to possibly do it.

It's not absurd, nor crazy talk, that some fans have their doubt as to WHY this move occurred. The fact we have a meddlesome owner does validate the concern of CONSTANT FO and CS turnover due to his ways and that leads to CONSTANT franchise instability and stuck in Neutral.

37 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

The media is already playing like a panic move. Cimini called it a panic move. Francesa is going to gloat to high heaven. And whether they are morons or not, they have a lot of followers.

This is another reason why good people don't want to coach here and another reason why the Jets should move

Honestly, who gives a flying **** about the media? 

2 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

^^^ Couldn't ignore me if he tried. 

I'm rooting for Bryce Petty to get the nod in 2-3 weeks.  I will not apologize for supporting a QB who actually put together a solid season for this franchise.  He is exactly what he is.  A QB good enough to win games given good circumstances, terrible when circumstances go south.  If Geno is still the hill you wish to die on, however, then have at it.

What about an apology for calling him a "conquering hero"?

Just kidding.  I love you just the same no matter what happens to the Jets and how much we disagree things even when I'm obviously right. ;-)

Just now, JiF said:

What about an apology for calling him a "conquering hero"?

Just kidding.  I love you just the same no matter what happens to the Jets and how much we disagree things even when I'm obviously right. ;-)

I'll consider apologizing to you.  Not Pac.  F*ck that guy. 

Just now, Jet Nut said:

Woody undercut no one.  Don't get it, he made the right move but? 

Bowles would never start a whiny little bitch like Geno that is throw tantrums on the sideline... Posting stupid sh*t on instagram and consistently undermining the coaching staff by not preparing, not being near the playcallers while they are reviewing the last series... I mean seriously what makes you think they would reward the child for his behavior.

This is a Woody move through and through.. This has nothing to do with who is better or not. Ryan sucked!! awful lackluster play. Woody doesn't handle that well and has proven it in the past to meddle in these situations... This is undermining the coaching staff and always turns out bad.. It is Embarrassing.

3 minutes ago, JiF said:

Interesting...you were 100% the other way before the season started.  What changed? 

until petty was injured, i felt the same way.

I dont think Geno starts the next 10 games but I may have been wrong on a QB or two in the past lol Here is to Geno dropping bombs like hiroshima on Sunday.  

Will be watching from a beach bar so make daddy proud!

2 minutes ago, Gas2No99 said:

It's not absurd, nor crazy talk, that some fans have their doubt as to WHY this move occurred. The fact we have a meddlesome owner does validate the concern of CONSTANT FO and CS turnover due to his ways and that leads to CONSTANT franchise instability and stuck in Neutral.

My theory?

We have 3 quarterbacks on the roster and 10 games left so we're going to let them all audition and see what we have here for next season.  Geno 4 games, Petty 4 games, Hackenberg the last 2 games.

This way we go into April with open eyes knowing exactly what the draft needs to look like.

SAR I

Archived